• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Marina Liteyears for SSBB *Updated Moveset*

Arteen

Smash Lord
Why are people saying Marina's chances are slim? Sakurai has proven to us time and time again that hes not afraid to add obscure, yet interesting main characters.
But why her instead of many of the other obscure characters that he could pick?

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
Mischief Makers was easily the most original 2D platforming game on the N64. I think that warrants some consideration. It defied the notion that N64 was soley for 3D and showed us all (yet again), why 2D is here to stay.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It's also one of the most underrated games on the N64.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Almost everyone in this topic is SPELLING IT WRONG. It's LITEyears, not Lightyears, LITEyears. Ultra-intergalactic Cybot G Marina LITEyears. I don't mean to nit-pick, but I don't like it names are misspelled.

By the way, this picture really emphasizes her power: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Marina-Lifting.jpg
Bah... guess I better go update the FP... I've always known deep down that that was the 'proper' spelling of the name, but I was just in denial I suppose... I guess it's just a personal prejudice of mine, but I really hate the use of the -ight to -ite spelling convention, such as with NICK-AT-NITE. Ah well...

At any rate, it's nice to see even more Marina support. :grin:

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Almost everyone in this topic is SPELLING IT WRONG. It's LITEyears, not Lightyears, LITEyears. Ultra-intergalactic Cybot G Marina LITEyears. I don't mean to nit-pick, but I don't like it names are misspelled.

By the way, this picture really emphasizes her power: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Marina-Lifting.jpg
Heh, it's a common mistake I suppose. I had to correct the spelling for the Character Thread Index, actually, so I wouldn't be too hard on 'em :p

That's a very good point. Why bother getting permission for Saki if he's not playable. You know, despite popular belief, popularity isn't importent. If you recall, Sakurai stated that a game with only popular characters would be boring and I agree with this. I think this raises her chances a little higher.

BTW, I remember getting this game in 1997 for Christmas. My dad told me not to complain if there was any Japanese in the game since the last game I got was Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.
I like that reasoning. More love for the retro characters. Honestly I prefer some of the retros to new simply because I haven't even heard of some of them, like the Ice Climbers originally. It adds to their "mystery", if you could call it that, for me anyway :p And yes, Goemon was also an awesome game (or two ^_^) for the N64, and could be a fine Brawl edition. Marina or him would be a bit of a blast from the past for me, although I'd much rather Marina for reasons I'm not quite sure. >.<

Robot maid > all
Quoted for truth. :cool:

Sailyfee

Smash Apprentice
Haha, I played her 64 game on project and I gotta say, it sucked. Marina is a pretty cool character, though. All she does is throw enemies. Big deal. >_> Nice SSBB thread btw.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
She does much more than just throw enemies. She can pick up enemies more than 7-10 times her size and shake them silly. Her shaking also alters projectiles to make them more powerful before throwing them back at the enemy. With those peg-like legs, she does a MEAN knife kick. And with those gloved hands, you know her punches WILL hurt.

Here are some pictures:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I just want to point out that today's update was "Grab and Throw".

Very interesting for the day this topic was bumped. Now carry on.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
You know, the more I see them, the more I believe Merco and Falco are related. They even have similar names.

Anyway, here's a B-moveset I came up for Marina.

Neutral B - Projectile Catcher: Marina holds both her arms in front of her for a second. If a projectile hits her during that period, she'll catch the projectile. If you press down, Marina will shake the projectile and make it bigger to throw it back with double power. Marina can shake the projectile up until three times before throwing it back because doing more will cause it to explode in her hands. Marina is vulnerable to all attacks while holding the projectile, and any hit will cause her to lose it. This move also works to catch throwable items, although those can't be shaken.

Side B - Knife Kick: Just like in MM, Marina will dash forward with a fierce kick. Anyone hit in the process will be thrown directly upwards.

Upwards B - Boost Ram: Marina's jets will boost at full power sending her upwards. She will hit with a headbutt anyone above her.

Down B - Clanpot Pickup: Marina will pull out a random item out f a clanpot. These include:
Clanbomb (20%) - Works similar to Link's Bomb, but a little more damage.
Boomerang (20%) - Works similar to Link's Boomerang, but wider range. When it returns, it can be caught again with Projectile Catcher.
Shuriken (20%) - Throw it forward and hit an enemy multiple times for heavy damage, but it won't knock him out.
Rocket Launcher (8%) - Marina will pull out a device that will fire 10 rockets that do heavy damage, however as she's holding the item, the rockets will be fired automatically in the direction Marina's facing. After you run out, the Launcher can be thrown.
Lunar's Grenade (8%) - Works similar to a Bob-Omb, knocking out a heavy-damaged opponent. But you only have 3 seconds to throw it before exploding in your hands.
Merco's Sword (8%) - Works just like the Beam Sword, but heavier damage and wider range.
Flower (8%) - Does absolutely nothing.
Yellow Emerald (6%) - Marina recovers 20% of damage. (NOTE: This is automatically disabled from All-Star or Event Mode. In those cases, the percentage is divided equally between the Clanbomb, Boomerang and Shuriken)
Kitchen's Sink (2%) - Throw it to an opponent for instant KO regardless of damage.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
I must say that I have never heard of Marina Liteyears before this thread, but you all have convinced me that she would be more than worthy of a roster slot in Brawl. Keep up the good work in converting others!

Marina For Brawl!

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Neutral B - Projectile Catcher: Marina holds both her arms in front of her for a second. If a projectile hits her during that period, she'll catch the projectile. If you press down, Marina will shake the projectile and make it bigger to throw it back with double power. Marina can shake the projectile up until three times before throwing it back because doing more will cause it to explode in her hands. Marina is vulnerable to all attacks while holding the projectile, and any hit will cause her to lose it. This move also works to catch throwable items, although those can't be shaken.
That seems more like a Down B move.

Cos.

Smash Journeyman
The moveset Jave made, seems to be a good one, and additionally it is a very descriptive moveset for Marina (making it better). The vB is a bit to strong, and the chance of pulling strong objects (those except the first three) should be much lower (and the weapons should be of the same strength at most of Brawl equivalents), meaning all counted together should use for example 5% (to prevent vB spamming... among other unpleasant side effects). 5% is still a far high enough chance to pull a real mean item...
It would be cool if among those items you can pull, if you could also pull a clancer thug which everyone could throw around :D

I find Marina, catch move a good move to have in the B slot... it is her identifying move after all.

However, whatever happens, Marina making it or not, I really hope to be able to hear that "STOOOP" in Brawl, it would be so nostalgic.

On a sidenote: The Petey Boss fight slightly reminded me of Mischief Boss fights (especially the Mugen brother fight)... yeah, it would be cool if someone from Treasure could have helped with the concept of making Adventure mode Bosses (it would also be a reason to add Marina... but I'll stay away from Treasure and Brawl conspiracy theories ;) )

Joka

Smash Journeyman
Anyone guessing what her Final Smash could be?

I'm guessing she dashes forward, catches the nearest person, tosses them upwards, then jumps and kicks them down.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Her Final Smash would probably be summoning Blockman and stomping all over the screen, although I'd love to see something like a massive grabbing technique.

Lunar, Tarus and Merco could all be Assist trophies.

One thing I'd love to see is Marina grabbing Bowser by the tail and spinning him around, ala Mario 64.

Joka

Smash Journeyman
Although...she'd make a helpful assist trophy, grabbing the nearest person and either throwing them or holding on to them so you can pummel 'em.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
True. Still, I hope Marina is playable. If it wasn't for Saki, she wouldn't have as much hope. So let's thank Saki.

Thank You, Saki.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
True. Still, I hope Marina is playable. If it wasn't for Saki, she wouldn't have as much hope. So let's thank Saki.

Thank You, Saki.
Thank you Saki indeed. Although it is sad that S&P representation got reduced simply to AT status, it's great to see that TREASURE has some representation in an otherwise Nintendo All Star affair - with some notable third-party 'guests', which hopefully Marina will be among. :grin:

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Even though I really hope Marina to be playable, I'd be happy is there's at least some Mischief Makers mention in the game. An AT, a stage, anything.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I checked Tresure's website on Mischief Makers and I realized that Nintendo has no rights to her other than to publish it outside of Japan. Apparently, Mischief Makers is a joint copyright belonging to Treasure and Square Enix.

Still, let's hope she gets in one way or another.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I started watching youtube vids of the game and....oh gosh I miss it so! I now want to play it again ::digs through his n64 cartridges::

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I've been doing the same thing. Unfortunately, my N64 is dead. I can't tell if it died on its own or if my little little sister did anything.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
I checked Tresure's website on Mischief Makers and I realized that Nintendo has no rights to her other than to publish it outside of Japan. Apparently, Mischief Makers is a joint copyright belonging to Treasure and Square Enix.

Still, let's hope she gets in one way or another.
Ugh, Square Enix? Makes Marina seem like she's already worse off than Geno now >.< and he atleast made it on the polls. *Sigh* Would someone be able to fill me in on copyright regarding Sin and Punishment, then? I'm assuming it had nothing to do with third parties, unlike poor Marina? :(

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Nintendo and Enix released the game in Japan but it was still produced entirely by Treasure. This means Treasure owns the character stock and barrel.

I COULD be wrong, of course. Copyright issues can be tricky stuff.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman
Heh, I'm not exactly too experienced in deciphering all these copyright and legality issues myself anyways. I guess I should just hope for the best, and hopefully see Marina appear in some form :)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Nintendo and Enix released the game in Japan but it was still produced entirely by Treasure. This means Treasure owns the character stock and barrel.

I COULD be wrong, of course. Copyright issues can be tricky stuff.
Nintendo only released it outside of Japan. Yes, the game was made only by Treasure but Enix owns the rights in a dual ownership.

Go here: http://www.treasure-inc.co.jp/products/products.html

Click on the tab that says 64.

Look at the bottom one, that's Mischief Makers.

Sin and Punishment is entirely owned by Nintendo. My guess is that Treasure tends to lend itself as work for hire.

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
I'm kinda hoping you're wrong because if Marina is indeed co-owned by Enix then I barely see a chance of her being in the game.

But are you sure about Nintendo fully owning S&P? Treasure did co-produce it, so I doubt they'd have no word in the copyright.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's what the webpage says. I can't read Japanese and I can tell.

If Marina is co-owned by Square Enix, she's essentially in SE limbo and will, sadly, probably never be in another game again.

Blobulator

Smash Journeyman

If Marina is co-owned by Square Enix, she's essentially in SE limbo and will, sadly, probably never be in another game again.
Wasn't she in some other "poor-man's SSB" years upon years ago though? I think I read that somewhere but I don't quite remember the details...

Gah that is so going to bug me now, but I swear someone said it. Might've been earlier in this thread actually, for all I know. *If* it was true, not saying it was, there may still be *some* hope for her. Just take that vague thought with a grain of salt at the moment though, don't hold me to it.

EDIT: Found it, turns out it was in this thread.

All this talk about great 3rd party characters, and me finding my N64 after the move, got me to play this game. A lot. A loooooot. So lemme do my usual FlipTroopa magic, eh?

Firstly, the game was co-developed by Treasure and Enix, then published by Enix in Japan, and Nintendo in the US. But Nintendo publishes a lot of games, like Mega Man 6, so that doesn't make a difference. Likely they would need permission from Treasure and Squeenix to use the character.

Marina has appeared in TWO games. The second was a really weird PSX fighting game called Rakugaki Showtime. Look it up: it's a messed up game, very similar to Smash Bros. if it was handdrawn with original characters. It even has its own boss, God Hand (as opposed to Master Hand), who draws all the fighters and items. Funky.

Anyways, Mischief Makers was the best-selling Treasure game in the US, and probably the only with mainstream presence. Everybody who had a N64 at least rented or knew somebody who rented this game. It's one of Treasure's more popular titles in Japan as well, up there with Gunstar Heroes and Radiant Silvergun.

That moveset for Marina , btw, is alright, but I would've liked more originality in the B moves. She has the Shake power, but she should get a few other abilities as well. I was picturing maybe her neutral B just being her basic Shake skill from the actual game, where she can catch people and toss them in any direction or shake them for minor damage. She could potentially grab and shake items this way as well, maybe making them more powerful? (that's her main ability in Rakugaki) Her Forward B I pictured being like the Raptor Boost, and then I could see her getting some unique abilities for the other two. Like an earth shaking or clanbomb making attack for Down B, and some crazy hover skill for Up B. Btw, if they add airdashes in Brawl, this is the perfect character for it.
So I guess that's a glimmer of hope even if she isn't completely owned by Treasure.. :/

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I looked it up. Apparently, this was developed by Treasure and published by Enix as well. Let's face it, along with Geno, Mallow, and a truckload of characters in SE limbo. Still, let's support her.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion

I'm pretty sure that ENIX (sans SQUARE back in '97) was nothing more than the publisher (co-publisher with Nintendo outside Japan). A lot of smaller third-party companies like TREASURE and WAYFORWARD often have to look to big name companies in order for their original IPs to receive increased market penetration. That's why Gunstar Heroes was published by SEGA, Shantae published by Capcom, etc. The big companies do little more than slap their logo on the game though and do very little to promote the product, which is why these games are almost always doomed to be 'sleeper hits' at best. In most cases, small third-parties do ALL the work for their games, with occasional assistance from the big publisher company, as was the case with Sin & Punishment with Nintendo, though I assure you that it was still almost entirely a TREASURE effort. This isn't the same case as Geno, where SMRPG was actually developed by SQUARE (sans ENIX back in '96) for Nintendo. A publisher doesn't retain the same rights as a developer, which is precisely why Geno is in the mess that he is.

Anyways, to sum things up: Marina is entirely the intellectual property of TREASURE. Squeenix has NO claim on the character, only the publishing rights to the original N64 release of the game Mischief Makers - treasure could always choose to have someone else publish the sequel if they made one, after all it's happened before - case in point Guardian Heroes (1996) by SEGA and Guardian Heroes Advance (2004) by Ubisoft. This by no means increases her chances at inclusion on the Brawl roster by any means, but unlike Geno, Squeenix won't be standing in Marina's way... ;)

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
That's good to hear. Can I see proof of that so I can be sure?

I also read that S+P is Nintendo's because Treasure co-developed it.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
^^You got it the other way around. Sin & Punishment was co-developed (but mainly just published) by Nintendo, it was still entirely a TREASURE affair.

And I don't really have hard proof, it's just common sense, but I provided another example of a TREASURE franchise, Guardian Heroes, which the first game was published by SEGA (most early TREASURE games were) but it's Gameboy Advance sequel was published by Ubisoft. Guardian Heroes is every much a cult classic as Mischief Makers, perhaps even more so, as it is often considered one of the best SATURN games of all time. However, despite the relevance it had to SEGA, it is still a TREASURE property and they can choose whomever to publish their games.

Also keep in mind, Mischief Makers was published and distributed by Nintendo outside of Japan - Enix's logo remained only because it was the publisher for the original domestic release. So again, it is HIGHLY unlikely Enix has any real claim to franchise, just the publishing rights to the original N64 release of Mischief Makers.

Top Bottom