• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Making money by gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kuja is Awesome

Smash Rookie
Is it possible to make decent money by gaming, competing in tournaments and such? I know some players have sponsors, but how much money do they make from that?

The reason being is that I don't see myself going anywhere where I am now. I'm not good at school, and I'm not confident in any other areas besides my gaming ability (I feel like a failure most of the time....)

I had a discussion with one of my old high school teachers, and he told me to follow my heart, and my heart is with gaming.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
It is possible but you have to dedicate a MASSIVE amount of time to it, and be at the uppermost echelon (obviously) of gaming talent.

Basically that means no for almost everyone.

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
My advice is to try and improve in school. Like Teran said, you only make money if you are incredibly good. Plus if you put so much time into games and make it your career, you'll probably just see it as work and not as something to just enjoy anymore.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
There's always Game Testing.
I remember IGN posting essentially a "horror" story on game testing. After reading that, I wouldn't be so sure to go near that if I wanted to get into a gaming career.

There's always video game designing or other parts of it. Like PR, Sales, etc.

Chronodiver Lokii

Chaotic Stupid
BRoomer
There's always Game Testing.
Hahaha
ha
hahaha
haha.....

oh lord is it awful. A classmate of mine was a game tester before he came to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. Sounded like a nightmare
They give you a to do list, which can honestly be "RUN INTO THIS WALL ALL DAY AND SEE IF ANYTHING BREAKS K COOL HAVE FUN"

Yikes.

--

Design is a fun/difficult way to work on games. It's a LOT of tough work, but it is so worth it in the end. I pull all nighters on paintings or 3D models, but I'm usually proud of what I create. And if I'm not, I remember what I need to improve upon. Plus, it's a good paycheck, depending on where you work. Government is always looking for people to work on Unreal Engine for them (I'm not even kidding).

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
If you have the talent to become a professional competitive gamer, be it in Smash Bros., Halo, Starcraft, etc., then by all means, go ahead and pursue your dream. However, it's always good to have a "Plan B" to fall back on in the chance the professional gaming idea doesn't exactly come to fruition.

Vinylic.

Woke?
Switch FC
SW-5214-5959-4787
I somehow don't mind doing game testing, Whether it's hell or not.
I'm currently going for game design, but I suck at art.

Beat!

Smash Master
Is it possible to make decent money by gaming, competing in tournaments and such? I know some players have sponsors, but how much money do they make from that?

The reason being is that I don't see myself going anywhere where I am now. I'm not good at school, and I'm not confident in any other areas besides my gaming ability (I feel like a failure most of the time....)

I had a discussion with one of my old high school teachers, and he told me to follow my heart, and my heart is with gaming.
Depends on the game. Games like Starcraft 2 have massive communities, and the best players get high salaries from the teams they play for, in addition to the prize money they make from tournaments. You'd have to put down a ridiculous amount of effort to reach that level, though.

For games like smash... not so much. The competitive communities are too small and the tournaments are rarely sponsored. In addition to that, not even the best players get paid to play. It's technically possible to "make a living" (as proven by M2K, although he's a top player in both Melee AND Brawl, so he gets prize money from both games), but not much more than that. Definitely not "decent money" if you're looking to make it your job.

So yeah, it completely depends on the game. You should try to find out what the communities look like for the particular games you're interested in. Specifically, how much the top level players make.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure m2k's winnings once you deduct all of his expenses (especially travel) would come out to less than minimum wage. Without a huge sponsored circuit like MLG, Smash should, at most, be a fun hobby that can net you some good pocket change from time to time.

Starcraft can be a legit gaming career but it demands a ridiculous amount of talent, skill, and dedication.

Beat!

Smash Master
Well yeah, but he technically made/makes a living (though I suppose it depends on how you look at it). I only mentioned him to provide an example.

Pakman

WWMD
BRoomer
The problem with a career as a professional gamer is that unless you are the top of the top of the top, than at some point you will have to figure out something else to do because that paycheck from gaming isn't enough money to rely on for the rest of your life. It is barely enough to support a single adult and that is only if you win.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You have to be Korean to be the top of the top in Starcraft

Sizzle

I paint controllers
I think the reason is because of the dedication the Koreans put into the game. It is socially acceptable to be a professional gamer and there is a lot of money to be made in the industry there. They live in houses and practice all day every day among the best players in the world. I don't think the same thing can be said in America, though it is slowly changing.

If you want to make money off of gaming, your best shot is to be a streamer I think. You don't have to be talented at a game to stream or get people to watch you. If you interact with your viewers and provide a place where they can chill, listen to music, chat, etc. then you can slowly build up a following to perhaps get a partnership on one of the popular sites. The only thing you have to truly dedicate is your time, but of course it helps to have a nice computer and internet connection to provide a lag free stream.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
Like everyone else said, being a professional video gamer is highly unlikely due to the amount of time and energy you have to put into it only to barely get by.

You're better off working at a fast food place for the rest of your life. At least you'd get discounts on your meals.

That's ****ing bull**** advice. I hate it when I hear the "find your passion!" speech. When you rely on your passion, you're essentially relying on your emotions.

EMOTIONS CHANGE

Who knows if you even want to play video games a few months from now? When I was in high school, I didn't know why people weren't so into video games. I spent all of my free time playing something. Now, 4 years later, I get bored to death playing games. I grew out of it.

You need to be able to rely on something concrete.

You need to have *:awesome:DISCIPLINE:awesome:*

Your lack of discipline is the reason why you're directionless in life. If you had enough self-discipline, it wouldn't matter what job you have--you'd get it done. Discipline will always triumph passion. I'm passionate about smash, but that's not enough to make me sit down and practice tech skill every day for an hour. My lack of discipline is why I suck at smash and why I'm inconsistent in a lot of things I do. I'm not saying passion is useless. Being passionate can get you taking those first steps, but your discipline will keep you walking.

I used to not know what to do with my life either. Originally, I wanted to become a doctor. But I believed in the whole "follow your heart " phrase my advisers told me, that med school would kill me if I didn't have the "passion". I didn't want to do something that I didn't "love". So, I dropped that Idea.

I'm kind of like you; I was only passionate about smash. However, I knew that having a stable living was impossible if I had to depend on it. I thought about taking different classes during my time at college or even going to my community college after i graduated so I can get a wider experience. That sounds nice and all, but that could take FOREVER. I know guys who are still searching for the perfect life after they've been out of school for 3 years. I don't want to waste time, so I sucked it up and decided to apply to med school anyway. That way I'd be doing SOMETHING instead of sitting around looking for what might interest me.

Make sure you have some sort of direction. If you want to get into game design, go for it but STICK WITH IT! I'm aware that this means that you can try to be a pro gamer too, but realize that some paths are a lot more realistic than others. I'd recommend learning a trade (carpentry/plumbing/electrician for example) or enrolling in community college to learn some kind of hard science (physics/bio/chem/engineering), math, or a skill like accounting. You can transfer your credits to a 4-year college and continue from there to some sort of graduate school. That way, you'd be able to specialize and fill a position that people NEED. People don't NEED to play video games, but they NEED plumbers and electricians to make their homes function.

Regardless, good luck.

laki

Smash Apprentice
If you really want to be a professional gamer, you have to find out how viable it is for the game you pursue. Most aren't. The only ones I can think of are poker and starcraft. Black Jack is something you can't really make a ton of money on unless you have a lot of capitol to work with, and you can get a team together and don't mind dealing with pit bosses. Straight up counting cards only gives you a 1% edge which translates to a dollar every our for hundred dollar bets FYI.

Magic the gathering is semi-viable if you can get hired by a website to be a writer. The big boon of that game though is a lot of the succesful players are connected in finance sectors and gaming industries. A Hall of Fame magic player who is himself a game designer mentioned in an interveiw how interacting with players at tournaments allowed him to connect with other likeminded players who understood how games work.

Not to be a recruiter, but for a directionless kid in high school, I'd say join the military, particularly the Air Force. IWhen my life was going nowhere fast, I joined and served a couple years and it was a blast. The most noteworthy thing I did before getting out was being apart of the Lybia opperation. If you are willing to consider such a thing, I'd HIGHLY recommend any flying job. I was an airborne surveliance tech and the job was cake. Got to go to Vegas, Alaska, South America and Europe and get paid extra to do it. Deployments weren't bad at all, just lots of sand. Basic training is "hard" (cake when you look back on it) and the military DEFINITELY is not for everyone, but it's certainly an option so long as you have a diploma and a marginally clean record.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I imagine being a pro gamer in korea is similar to being a pro athlete in the U.S. still not for everyone, and still a very small percentage of people who enjoy it can make a living doing it.

Its very difficult to make it through competitive gaming... very hard and even more unstable. A lot of video game commentators have been doing well for themselves though. You can turn a hobby into a little extra money if you play your cards right.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
You can make a living streaming or being a commentator on youtube if you get a lot of views and a partnership/sponsor

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
You can make a living streaming or being a commentator on youtube if you get a lot of views and a partnership/sponsor
I have a buddy who's making significantly more than any human being should make simply by playing, recording and uploading yugioh to youtube. The amount he makes compared to the amount of subs he has is disturbing as well when you consider how many youtube channels have 50k-100k subs. WHERE DOES THIS MONEY COME FROM?!

But yeah, its true, you really can make a living doing this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom