• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 9: [Now Defunct]

Status
Not open for further replies.

phatcat203

Smash Apprentice
Bowser Jr.

Bowser Jr. was, as you probably know, the first set posted by Kupa in MYM9...and well, the first set posted in MYM9 period. It is probably best known for being the first set in MYM9 to utilize the "goop" mechanic, and in my opinion, it is the best one of the contest. Which is saying something, as there are about forty or so by now.

The charm of Bowser Jr. is that all of his moves work very well with the goop; whether they directly influence it or not. His method of spreading the goop around is both intuitive and unintrusive. Everything about this set just seems to flow together, and no moves really feel wasted.

To sum everything up, while Bowser Jr. may not be your favorite Kupa set of the contest, it is by no means a bad set, and in my opinion it definitely deserves a vote. Yes, even if you're already voting another Kupa set.

The Scout

The Scout has something going for it that makes it stand out from most of the competition: its writing style. Khold pulled the first-person, in-character writing style off with a bomb, which isn't something that just anybody can do. You never feel bored or tired when reading The Scout; it's a moveset that you WANT to read.

Of course, I'm not asking you to vote for The Scout purely based on its writing style; though that helps a lot. The moveset itself is rather fun, if not simple. The specials are nice, and the rest of the set holds itself up rather well too. Some moves may seem oversimplified or just rushed, but again, the writing style helps it along.

While The Scout may not be the best set in MYM9, its quirky writing style, fun gimmicks, and overall enjoyability definitely make it a set worth voting for.

Pokemon Breeder

Pokemon Breeder was Legend of Link's second set, and it still holds up now, despite getting absolutely no recognition from Warlord. The three Pokemon, Riolu, Pichu, and Igglybuff, all do their own thing, but in the end, the combination of their fighting styles comes together rather well.

Pichu is a trickster, with a grab-focused game. He can do lots of things to the opponent, including paralyze them, and is overall very quick and in-character for the Pokemon. Pichu's probably my favorite of the three. Igglybuff, oddly enough, acts as the powerhouse of the team, through an inflation mechanic that works pretty well. It still retains its bouncy nature, though. Riolu is a sort of mindgame character, dodging, feinting, and taunting his way to victory.

Altogether, this set stands out as my favorite of the "multiple character" sets this contest, simply for how well it works, and the uniqueness of each separate character. You might like Gear more, but trust me, the Breeder isn't a set to pass up.

Junahu

Smash Ace
Surprise!

MYmini Top30: Time to vote

We thought that, well, we had so many excellent MYminis throughout the conteset, so why not have a big old vote on them? I've been keeping a nice list of them [HERE], so go ahead and browse and peruse. And then vote on your favourites.

Don't worry, it's nothing complicated or formal, just PM me (Junahu) a list of 20 MYminis you loved this contest, before the 10th of April. That's it, just vote, it couldn't be simpler.

Anyone can vote on the minis, and there are no rules on voting etiquette, so let's just have fun with this, ok?

MYM Top50: Time to advertise

MasterWarlord has already declared this, but I felt a little repetition couldn't hurt. The MYM Top50 is a bit of serious business, and we all want to make sure that the people voting have followed the contest enough to make informed voting choices. To that end, if you want to join the big vote next week, you need to advertise three movesets you liked, this week.
Just look at the post above this one, and you'll see a fine example of moveset advertisement.

So, remember, the big vote for who's set is the bestest, is next week. This week is all about catching up with all the new sets and advertising all the old sets you loved.

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Ad #1: GO!

JOHN MARSTON by Pikmin3000​

A while back, I made a "Top 10 MYM9 Favorites", with this guy at #10. In all honesty, it's probably moved up a few spots.
This set was posted half-finished, so a few of you may not have read it all the way through; believe me when I say it's worth a read. The whole set revolves around John Marston's weapons: Six-shooter, rope, dynamite, blunderbuss, and moltov coctail, and makes them all viable in Smash. It may be a bit rough around the edges, but with all of thee above, plus SSE role, and matchups, its one of MY personal favorites in MYM9.

gcubedude

Smash Apprentice
"You last visited: 02-20-2011 at 02:43 PM"

Wow, it's been too long. Anyway, I thought I'd stop by and see how MYM9 wrapped up. So I guess I should vote, since I took part in this contest, huh? But in order to vote...

The Prince of all Cosmos

So yeah, one of my favorite sets in this contest due to it's hilarious writing style and overall wackiness. This set revolves around the Prince and his Katamari, a magically ball that acts as a permanent grab hitbox as long as it's in motion. The Prince uses the Katamari to pummel his opponents, or to stick them to it and throw them off-stage for a cheap kill. It's pretty cool, and the writing style, modeled after The King of All Cosmos's manner of speaking, is very funny. I feel everyone should read this set, if only for the lolz and giggles.

M. Trinity

Again chosen mostly for it's writing style, but also because it's a very interesting moveset. That, and she's hot. Anyway, her playstyle revolves around her panties (her spare ones, you pervert), using them as distractions and banana peel-like traps. She can also use a very suggestive Dthrow to heal herself while causing damage at the same time, or use her Bthrow to put the opponent in a kind of "lust" state, where they'll walk toward M. Trinity against their will, making it very difficult for her opponent to control their own character. This all combines to make a very nice playstyle and a very fun read. Plus, her alt costume is very nice.

XP-Tan

I think everyone can see why I'm advertising this, but I actually really enjoyed this set as a set and not just for the eye candy. XP-tan uses the windows that she can create to do...pretty much everything. Windows can act as her teleport recovery, a method of dealing damage, a barrier to block approaching enemies, and a general nuisance for her opponents. However, in order to do anything, she needs RAM, which she can get by eating anything, be it an item, a platform, or even a background element, such as the Pokemon Trainer. It makes for a very cool playstyle, and the whole set is very nice to look at as well.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
VICTREEBEL
BY
MASTERWARLORD

Yes, that's right, of all the Warlord sets in MYM9, my favorite of them is this random little Pokeset posted in the beginning of the contest. Victrebel is quite possibly the ultimate integration of characterization through playstyle. Besides the literal mechanic of eating opponents who fall inside of him, Victreebel's goal throughout the match is to lure the opponent into close-range through promises of a sweet reward (in this case, getting his insane projectile out of play), but if the opponent does not respect Victrebel's space once they do get in close, they find themselves knockded down and forced into an uphill struggle as Victrebel changes from a camping zoner to a vicious close-range pressure character. Once the opponent is caught they have a hell of a time getting out, just like a real pitcher plant.

What makes this in-chracterness particularly impressive is that Warlord didn't have to sacrifice gameplay for the sake of it. Rather, he was able to focus on creating an interesting playstyle built of Victrebell's natural fighting style and was able to seamlessly integrate the characterization into it. This in turns means that all of Warlord's crazy creativity is completley justified, as it both works to solidify Vitrebel's gameplay while reminding you that you are in fact playing as a giant carnivorous plant.

(y)

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
Grey Knight

Grey Knight was bestowed onto us by PizzaMasta within the first week of the contest. Basically, the Grey Knight utilizes various weapons and magical items to mess with the foes head(including a teleport system using bushes), and generally utilize mindgames to his advantage. The reason I like this set is really because it has a certain charm to it - the character is pretty inept at fighting, but gosh darn it he tries his very best. The set is also full of fun little interactions and such to make for interesting playstyle, whether that section was added late or not. I just love this set and completely want it to place well.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Random repost due to submission period being over and BiTF version being deleted

MIDBUS

SPECIALS

Neutral Special – Chomp

A blatant clone of Wario’s Neutral Special at a glance, though it has better range if nothing else.

Side Special – Rollout

Midbus curls up into a spiky ball. This can be charged, but releases automatically once charged fully. This is a lot like Jigglypuff’s Neutral Special, but Midbus is invulnerable and doesn’t travel nearly as far or fast.

Up Special – Monstrous Leap

Midbus leaps upward a bit higher then Ganondorf’s recovery takes him before going into helpless. If Midbus used this from standing on solid ground, then it won’t put him into helpless, but he can’t use his Up Special again until he touches the ground.

Down Special – Beef Up

Midbus lifts up his arms up in a triumphant pose, causing himself to beef up and become very fat. This makes Midbus impervious to damage and knockback until he takes 35%, though he can only use his standard attacks while beefed up and his movement speed/jumps are decreased. There’s too much lag to activate this for it to be that useful.

STANDARD ATTACKS

Neutral Attack – Headbutt

Midbus does a headbutt forwards for 5% and a bit of stun, then upon an additional press of A scoops his head back up to deal 7% and vertical knockback. The second attack has a bit of lag but combos into the first hit. If Midbus is beefed up, Midbus only performs the second attack, though faster.

Forward Tilt – Smack

Midbus smacks forward with range, speed, and power comparable to Bowser’s ftilt.

Up Tilt – Uppercut

Midbus performs an uppercut with average speed, dealing 8% and decent knockback.

Down Tilt - Stomp

Midbus stomps about as if in a temper tantrum. Can be held infinitely like DK’s down special and there’s an additional hitbox along the ground like DK’s down special, but it’s a lot weaker.

Dashing Attack – Shoulder Barge

Midbus does a shoulder barge forwards like Ganon’s dashing attack. This deals 10% and good vertical knockback that can kill, though it has some lag. Midbus can’t use this attack when beefed up due to being too slow.

SMASHES

Up Smash – Showboating

Midbus turns to the screen, smirks, and flexes. His arms deal 13-23% and decent knockback, and the move has average speed.

That’s not the point, though. Upon use of this move you’ll hear some cheering and the crowd (Off camera) will throw some food onto the stage like in Midbus’ boss fight. The food will be directly inbetween you and the foe, and considering how slow you are they’ll probably eat it first. You’ll generally want to stun them before summoning the food.

Aside from healing you, eating food also decreases the lag on the next use of Down Special. . .The more you eat the faster you get beefy.

Forward Smash – Charge

Midbus does a headbutt forwards for 30% and superb knockback. This of course is laggy, but worse yet it also has bad range. . .Uncharged. As you charge up the move, Midbus snorts and runs in place. Charging increases how far Midbus goes, and if you charge the move up fully there’s no other lag involved. Midbus goes at Captain Falcon’s dash speed at full charge. If there’s food in Midbus’ way, he’ll scarf it down along the way, and he’ll go a bit farther then he would otherwise if there’s some food just out of his reach.

Down Smash – Belly Drum

Midbus drums on his belly during the charging, then upon release a fiery aura appears over Midbus that lasts for half a second-5 seconds based off charge. This powers up Midbus’ attacks by making them deal 3% more damage and slightly more knockback. Midbus cannot use this until the last boost expires.

To make time to do this you could use your usual tactics to eat food and beef up, but it’s better to do that before you belly drum. Why? Powerful waves come out during the charging if Midbus has eaten food, more of them based off the more he’s eaten. Midbus can still use this when beefed up.

AERIALS

Back Aerial – Impale

Midbus juts outs his back spines much like Bowser juts out his shell in his bair, albeit with a bit more lag. If Midbus hits anyone, they’ll take 10% and get impaled on his spines and have to button mash out as if they were grabbed. Midbus is free to move, but due to the foe being stuck on his spines he isn’t able to hit them with most attacks. Of course, he’s still free to summon/eat food or beef himself up while the foe is escaping the grab. . .

If Midbus uses his Side Special with a foe impaled on his spines, then they’ll take damage as they get dragged along with Midbus, the exact amount varying on the charge.

Neutral Aerial – Summersault

Midbus curls up into a ball like in his Side Special and spins around. This has an awkwardly long duration, but deals 14% and good knockback. Very bad landing lag. If Midbus goes into said landing lag and there’s a foe impaled on his spines in-between him and the ground, then he’ll crush them, dealing 10% to them and pitfalling them.

Down Aerial – Body Slam

Midbus does a body slam, falling downwards at immense speeds. This is very fast, but the power of the move is determined by how far Midbus has fallen before connecting with the move. While this can be very powerful if you’re high in the air (Max of 35% and great knockback), the foe has to be low down for it to work, telegraphing the move.

If you hit the ground (And thus don’t suicide off stage), Midbus will bounce back up a bit higher then he was before, still a weak hitbox. This can be used to get higher and higher up for bigger and bigger body slams. Of course Midbus’ Up Special also helps in getting some height.

Forward Aerial – Snort

Midbus snorts, creating a stream of steam in front of himself that pushes foes away with FLUDD esque knockback. Midbus gets pushed backwards from this, his body a hitbox that deals 8% and average knockback in the process. You should intend to hit with the steam to gimp or Midbus’ body for power, not both.

Up Aerial – Blubber Trampoline

Midbus gets on his back in mid-air, then puffs out his chest slightly. This has a decent bit of lag, yet only deals 6% and below average knockback. If somebody attacks you from above while the hitbox is out, though, they’ll bounce off your blubber with impressive upward knockback, better knockback if you’ve eaten more food.

GRAB-GAME

Grab – Bear Hug

Midbus angrily reaches out to grab his enemy. Good range, though the grab’s laggier then one would like.

Pummel - Squeeze

Midbus squeezes the foe in his grasp for 3% a pop.

Forward Throw – Horn Spiker

Midbus hits the foe with his horns, dealing 14% and alright knockback. Midbus’ best throw for damage.

Back Throw – Spin

Midbus spins around with the foe in his grasp before letting them go, dealing 10% and good knockback. By default Midbus releases the foe behind him, though you can press A again for Midbus to release the foe early, allowing you to choose where you want to throw the victim. This is better for killing lighter foes while Midbus’ uthrow/dair combo is better for heavier foes.

Up Throw - Footstool

Midbus leaps off the foe’s head, squashing them to deal 8% and good hitstun. This propels Midbus quadruple Ganondorf’s height into the air. If the foe is at a high enough damage percentage, they should be stunned long enough for you to dair them. A very nice kill set-up.

Down Throw – Eating Contest

Midbus does the same motion as in his usmash, causing the crowd to throw food to Midbus. You and the foe must now button mash to eat more of the food thrown. It’s more then the usual amount, but the foe is inevitably going to get some of it. This requires no set-up and you’re guaranteed to actually get some of the food, but the foe getting free healing is worrisome.

FINAL SMASH – BLIZZARD MIDBUS

Some dark energy gets absorbed into Midbus as he transforms into Blizzard Midbus. All his attacks get a buff in power and speed like Wario-Man as well as an Ice Element, and Midbus becomes invulnerable. Midbus’ down special is replaced with a aim-able powerful snowball projectile that comes out of his crown. Unfortunately this good final smash only lasts 10 seconds.

PLAYSTYLE

To an extent, Midbus plays like a standard heavyweight. Use your standards to rack up damage and what-not, though if you manage to land a grab before you damage the foe a dthrow is a good idea to eat some food. The Bair/Side Special combo can net you some good damage as well. Once you’ve got the damage up on the foe, you obviously want to KO them, but considering Midbus isn’t that great of a damage racker you’ll want to make it easier on yourself for the next stock.

One option could be to use usmash then use fsmash to race the foe to the food. Sure, they’ll eat some of it, but if they do that you’ll probably hit them with the fsmash and will still get –some- food. Another option is to impale the foe on your spines with bair (Possibly follow up with nair), then summon the food to get nice and beefy while the foe can’t interrupt you to heal damage. From there you can finish the foe off, then beef yourself up laglessly to be impervious for the first bit of the next stock to get a good lead in damage. While you won’t get much damage on the foe before you take 35%, belly drumming with dsmash is easier then ever with all your blubber to get in some damage and power yourself up to boot.

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
DORMAMMU

BY
N88 2004

Despite my unbridled fury at N88 preventing me from completing my own Dormammu set, I have to say that N88's version is still incredibley awesome in its own right. Dormammu is a nice old-school projectile camper who fills the screen with fire to prevent his opponent from ever getting into close-range. Dormammu does have things to set him apart from other campers, such as the coolest dash ability ever, which when combined with some other moves allows Dormammu to add a bit of hit-and-run to his gameplay, giving him reason to move from his spot.

Dormammu also has his Mindless Ones, summons which can easily backfire onto Dorm himself if he does not take the initiative and stay ahead in damage. While these aren't the focal point of the set like Tutankoopa's Chomp, they do add a really cool twist to his playstyle; he doesn't KO through gimping or a single powerful KO move, yet he doesn't use an instant-kill move either. His opponent's damage is still highly relevant so his minions can deal the finishing blow while his opponent's close to the top blast zone, and there's the added layer of Dormmamu having to stay far away from blast zones to avoid being targeted himself, further promoting him actually using his mobility options.

Gee, suddenly Dormammu doesn't feel like a generic camper anymore, huh.

Smady

Smash Master
User Rankings Final Week

Welcome to the User Rankings! Every Monday, I'll be compiling the entire of the last week's activity in the thread and showing off, just who is the most active member? The point of this exercise is to recognise the most dedicated among us – those make your movers who are currently pushing the boundaries, as well as highlighting all movesets made by them.

To get on this list, you need to have made a moveset in this or a previous Make Your Move, as well as having posted in the Make Your Move 9 thread. The cut-off point for tallying is 12AM on Monday; other removals or changes are at my own discretion. The breakdown of points is as follows:

25 points for a Moveset
15 points for a Joint Moveset
5 points for a Secondary Submission
4 points for a Comment
2 points for a Secondary Submission Comment
1 point for a Regular Post
+Regular Posts do not stack

And so, this is how it ends. Not with a bang, but rather a big bang, that is one of the most active weeks in months. I don't think we've had this much activity in a week since last year, in fact, so a massive congratulations are in order for everyone who made the final week such a roaring success! Yes, this will be the final week of the rankings - for this contest, at least. They've served their purpose as highlighting those in the community who are the most frivolously hard-working, and continuing them beyond the contest's ending point would only be for rewarding late comment catch-ups, or advertisements, which are tied into voting so are rather forced activity. If you feel begrudged, I apologise, I only really decided on this today.

So lets get right to business. This week was an explosive battle between a moveset wall and a comment wall, seemingly KRool came out the better. With an even more impressive, albeit shorter-styled cascade of commentary dating all the way back to Sothe, giving us one of the biggest catch-ups in history, it's proof of just how rumbustious he is, well-deserving of a top tier placing in the overall rankings. This calmly claimed the top spot for this very prestigious week.

Next up was, of course, MasterWarlord, posting three of the five sets which dominated page fifty-one, blanketing the entire project with my own sets simply filling in the gaps. Between Burter, Captain Ginyu and Guldo, the only real question is which to super vote - some may peg Warlord as someone who revisits old ideas often, but in this project, he really proved that criticism to be false. While Burter concentrates on momentum, trying to catch his opponent off-guard with good timing and skill, Ginyu's focused around a simple game of gimping and the ultimate positioning game with his body swap - Guldo is perhaps the most Warlordian, retaining a unique and original grab game centred around his psychic powers. Certainly going out on a high.

In third was Geto, who posted a huge amount of comments throughout the week, being one of the only people so consistent, while everyone else was busy finishing off their sets and trying to steal the next page. Truly, this ends an absolutely dizzying contest for the relative newcomer, who will be solidified as Make Your Move 9's most persistent commenter.

As this is the last week, I would like to further congratulate the overall winners of this contest's user rankings. I will be posting something else as a reward later on this week for darth meanie, who placed number one early on and stayed there for more-or-less the entire contest, only the also extremely vigilantly active gcubedude ever coming into contention. The final top score of 549 is absolutely staggering. It has been a pleasure to analyse data for all these weeks and be a part of the inner workings of Make Your Move - here's to a great top fifty!

Remember to check out the stadium to find all of the sets mentioned.

Overall User Rankings

Points: 81, Movesets: Victreebel, Fat Zombie, N. Brio, Landlos, Nappa, Burter, Captain Ginyu, Guldo

Points: 62, Movesets: Tetris, Harvey Moisewitsch Volodarskii, The Joker Remix

Points: 52, Movesets: Muk, Auron, Wiz & Kupa 2, Pyro Jack, Jack The Ripper, Vegeta, Recoome, Jeice

Points: 51, Movesets: Diglett, Inspector Gadget, Blaze the Cat, Windows XP Tan, Airman, Emolga, Blaze, Mona and Lisa

Points: 27, Movesets: Dark Samus, MegaMan.EXE, Fawful, Pong, Flame Hyenard, The Soldier, Obi-Wan Kenobi

Points: 27, Movesets: Erufuun, Unlimited Hazama, Electric Gamma

Points: 26, Movesets: Nattorei, Electivire, Nrvnsqsr Chaos, Toxicroak, Luviagelita Edelfelt, Jellicant, Crustle, Bizarro

Points: 26, Movesets: Gigaiath, The Scout, Baibanira, The Medic

Points: 25, Movesets: Goruugu, Aianto, Spiritomb, Fantomex, Chain Chomp, Keith, Dormammu, Crimson Cowl, Dr. Strange

Rychu

Thane of Smashville
3DS FC
1908-0105-4965
:fuuu:

But seriously, It's an honour to even be in the top 5, considering the less-than-staggering amount of movesets I posted. Congrats to DM, Smady, and MW (by 8 points :demon: ) for the top spots. I'll still be finishing up comments tomorrow and Wednesday for all who are interested. Top 50 and beyond people!

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Comment Wall Ho?

While I haven't read Page 51 quite yet, I do feel that it's about time I take a break from poring over page after page of sets and start actually commenting some of these guys. Doesn't that sound like a good idea?

First up on my massive backlog is Emolga by Junahu. I do like how Emolga manages to draw on inspiration from Pikachu's moveset without actually recycling material, using it to further Emolga's unique aspects. And you certainly have this cheerful persona about the moveset that makes it all the more exciting to read.

On the flipside, Emolga keeps something key and holds it for the end of the moveset, and much like Air Man, a twist ending is fun sometimes, but when we know you're withholding something and just waiting for it to be revealed, it's not fun, it's just frustrating to read through. And all of these move interactions feel awkward; we have a fighting game with a completely unique system for calculating knockback in any direction, wouldn't have been a lot smoother for Emolga to just knock attacks around with its attacks than have one make it stall in mid-air or another HEAL Emolga for hitting it?

That said, there is a lot of good creativity and imaginative stuff for Emolga to be doing; Volt Change is a nice powerful and quick KO move that shapes the opponent's behavior, and the two unique grabs have a lot of cool stuff to work with Elecball or different types of opponents. Overall a positive, fun set.

Vanniluxe was a bit of a let-down though; it feels very much like an ice character, but nothing specific to it. Instead, much like the self-insert moveset you made back in MYM6, it feels like all sorts of generic ice abilities thrown together without much reasoning to why it was done.

It feels a lot like most of the moves here were input primarily to be annoying, or form move interactions. But the set in the end doesn't feel like it has any direction; like you made a few moves, a couple of interesting interactions, and the playstyle just sort of exists as what is left between them all.

Also, making Blizzard last twenty seconds, and then be unavailable for twenty seconds is pretty unflexible, especially when he has to rely on it for his recovery. It's necessary for his end-game and his start-game, but he can't use it during both.

I was surprised when Dormammu started with a minion summon; was this set going to flop? Apparently not, you seemed intent to prove. Camping characters were once the bane of Make Your Move, and it's very hard these days to get a character that starts with the premise of being a camper/stage controller taken seriously. These are enlightened times though, and we've certainly come a long way, as Dormammu proves.

You do an excellent job of giving him the right combination of different options; strategic, methodical placement of Mindless Ones and Portals, a good combination of stage controlling, camping, and protective moves. His aerials do a nice job of being useful without giving him great air-game too, which is nice. More importantly, none of the moves seem to really outshine each other, difficult to pull off in a camping set.

Finally, I'm impressed to see that you used those elements from Marvel vs Capcom 3 that fit your vision of the character, and dumped everything that didn't. Liberation not necessary for your Dormammu? Not a problem. Stalking Flare cool, but should be a standard? You bet. Good job n88. I still think that there could be some tune-ups to be made; Stalking Flare seems a tad overpowered with Brawl's shield system, but it's overall a good moveset.

I'd thought you'd disappeared on us Koric; incidentally, I ended up naming my Scraggy after you in Pokemon White, which quickly went on to be an absolutely crucial member of my Elite 4 team. So there you go. Anyways, it's time to make a comment for Mr. Schezo Wegey, a name I have no idea how to pronounce.

Your descriptions and detail are unusual as always; you've got an odd way of describing and organizing things, which admittedly makes your movesets harder to understand. Schezo has a mix of complex specials and straightforward normals, and he has a few elements of follow-ups that are cool, but he never seems to take that next step of really pulling it all together into a straightforward plan for victory. You've got individual steps, but no overarching goal.

Now it's time for Flame Hyenard, but there's really nothing for me to say that hasn't been said. A character that's built for annoying the player directly through other methods than what's simply in the brawl is funny, but feels gimmicky at best. I really did like though how you have to predict his attacks partially based off of the sounds he makes, forcing the opponent to listen through what he says.

Honestly though, it feels like a half-complete sets, with ideas introduced but never actually finished, inputs that don't really seem to fit anywhere in the grand scheme of things.

Really, that's mostly where you need to finish growing, in helping all the inputs focus on their playstyle and win-strategy, and honestly, with such an unusual plan for this character, that you were able to get as much as you could is impressive.

Raw Shock by peeup is surprisingly good, to say the least. It is interesting to see how you've managed to grow your ideas in relative isolation from the rest of the community; the development from when you last appeared is astonishing to say the least. It's a very predatory set, one that creeps into the opponent's nightmares and attacks from behind, and you manage to capture that Silent Hill feeling right into the moveset.

The only real problem is that outside of the throws and specials a lot of the feeling is replaced with more or less generic attacks that don't really fit the concept of a chaser who wears you down. The lone Aerial is also pretty awkward, as it completely cuts out a lot of approaching options that he'd have by jumping. There are so many ways you could have played with the illusion, or hanging from a platform to attack that having one mediocre air attack feels like the set was rushed out more than it was for the sake of staying in character.

Regardless, this is actually a pretty solid set with a clear basic goal, and a nice step of evolution for you as a make your mover. Perhaps we'll see you post more often in the future?

As for the Crimson Cowl, this is an idea I've toyed around with in my head before as well, having a character that you control in two separate ways. I must say I really do like how you took to controlling Justine while leaving the Cowl in the control stick through the use of Specials.

Unfortunately, I can't say as much for how I feel about the set as a whole... there are a lot of more or less average, simple moves that don't seem to really follow into anything that easily. The problem is that at no point do I really feel like these moves are flowing into each other, or at least as well as they should be. I'm hardly one to complain about generic inputs, but something like that Forward Smash (which is ridiculously underpowered) is inexcusable. It feels more like you're challenging the player to come up with a way to put this stuff together than guiding them to interesting combinations, and that isn't fun.

As others have noted, the Soldier hardly needs to have more difficulty filling inputs than you made it for yourself with the menu choices, but for everything you put into those specials, he still seems to work alright. The speed boost that the Equalizer gives seems pretty odd though, wouldn't it be simpler just to boost the speed of attacks that use it?

Also, making reloading an aspect of moves instead of a special, or better, a special mechanic, makes it pretty hard to imagine picking up and playing, and uses up inputs that could be better used for other attacks.

Still, I think that you just need to bump up your individual moves and make them more interesting and fitting into the general playstyle to really shine. And if nothing else, the set is certainly functional with plenty of explosions.

More to come, but hey, I'm doing them. With a broken laptop, no less!

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Fawful

Scout isn't the only one with pride in the house. Last time I checked there was a cool video game villain that demanded a moveset. That holy call was answered by Nicholas1024, yes it was. If there's a reason why you should get off your butts and read about the fury, it's because you will be entertained in a manner that a comedy shoe could do, except this is more important to your life because you are making somebody happy.

What makes Fawful appealing is that he can summon a Portable McDonald's, which is completely original. I mean, I didn't put that in my Ronald McDonald set for ****'s sake. ANND, there's also the Dark Star. If you want your Fawful set, here it is.

I don't know whether Nicky made all the Fawful quotes or they were dragged out of the game, but either way it works like a Emulator. Best of all is that I don't have to buy the game for the best parts! Who wants to save $50 anyone?

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
Amaterasu​

Oh Goddess Amaterasu, great creator and mother to us all, I advertise you in hopes that you will shine the glory of the sun down upon me. With that said, Amaterasu just so happens to be TWILTHERO's second of two entries in this MYM and my personal favorite of the two. Essentially, Amaterasu plays as a combination of her Okami appearance and her MvC3 appearance. Fortunately, Amaterasu has her key feature from the actual Okami game; the Celestial Brush. Essentially, this allows the player to draw out various attacks (including the Power Slash and Cherry Bomb) or various helpful abilities (such as Sunrise and Vine). Amaterasu also has access to her main three types of weapon from Okami; the Reflector, the Rosary Beads and the Glaive. Each of these provides Amatearasu with some different Smashes as well as a different Side Special essentially mixing up her game further. I'd certainly say that Amaterasu is TWILT's strongest set of the contest and, while it may not be as memorable as say Edgeworth, it's certainly a fun set with some fun concepts. And that's hardly a bad thing to not be as memorable as Edgey; we all remember how well he did last time ;P

Thanos​
THANOS REIGNS! Ahem. Excuse me for that. Anyway, this is cutter's Thanos set, you may not exactly remember it considering it was posted on page one waaaaaay back when the contest started...but even so, it remains an entertaining read. Being the first of surprisingly many Marvel movesets this MYM, Thanos comes with the Infinity Gems which prove to be a very important and central part of his gameplay. You see, Thanos can swap between these powerful gems, granting him various buffs (The Power Gem makes him stronger, the Time Gem makes him faster, the Soul Gem heals him when he connects with attacks, etc.) in the process. However, Thanos' recovery option is also set to the Space Gem which means Thanos must choose between his buffs or having his recovery in tact. Because the Space Gem is the last in the cycle, this decision becomes even harder to balance out strategically. Fortunately, Thanos has some seriously powerful attacks to back the menacing titan up including many that are recognizable from his Marvel Super Heroes/MvC2 appearances (mostly has Smashes). cutter also helped the reader out greatly here by accompanying many of Thanos' attacks with helpful .gif images (a layout design I also used for Shuma-Gorath), allowing the reader to envision the attacks with great ease. It may not be the greatest set of the contest, but it was an excellent Day One effort from cutter and stayed a fun and enjoyable read for me even until now. THANOS REIGNS!

Smady

Smash Master

Make Your Move is flooded with original concepts – but it’s rare that we get a moveset which applies real-life concepts directly into the game. Castform is a true-to-Brawl weather machine, creating its own weather disasters that it then analyses and adapts to; it’s a master of the elements, putting its combatants to the test in a fight that it knows it can win. The interpretation of inputs in this moveset is astoundingly intuitive, disregarding the status quo of placing specials, smashes etcetera by creating a character that plays as naturally as the myriad of disasters it conjures. Castform is an active player in its own created mayhem, but at the same time, can easily take a backseat and his movements are suitably lacking in physical effort, further highlighting his personality as an airhead. Where Castform may lack in is his rather sparse later inputs, what is there is brilliant. It’s certainly worth a read, even when LegendofLink has so many good choices to pick from in Make Your Move 9.

That gcubedude approached this contest with a fresh outlook on how we make sets, benefitted him greatly in making a set like Sothe that gracefully meshes thievery and sleuthing. The concept of trying to get behind your foe is one not touched upon by many sets historically, though it makes perfect sense here – gcubedude is able to combine his ideas of Sothe as an assassin, constantly trying to catch his foe off-guard and an expertise of close-combat who is constantly looking to position himself correctly to disable his opponent. Literally stabbing opponents in the back to get an advantage over them plays off of the character's theme particularly well - being an untrustworthy rogue is a resonating part of Sothe's playstyle. Gcube definitely had made his stamp on Make Your Move so far with brutally honest and accurate portrayals, taking delicate steps in transitioning them to Brawl, while having true innovation through his insight into how to interpret them, without hurting their integrity. For this, Sothe excels and is certainly the author's best set to date.

There are new concepts, then there are takes on old ones that refresh them or completely change how they work. Nero is very much the latter, incorporating what makes a defensive playstyle work with a powerhouse, Ganondorf clone who can take a beating, along with elements of the liquid traps we've seen throughout his contest and revitalising the archetype by then introducing summons, bleeding the goop themselves. Darth meanie is known for his take on movesets with a highly intelligible knowledge of how Smash works, taking it to the bank here with another intricate system of shutdowns and pressuring moves that work seamlessly into the moveset. On top of this is a rather brilliant ranged game - reliant not only on the goop, but going a step further in truly taking advantage out of the character choice, being one of the few tanky characters in Make Your Move who also has large, non-disjointed hitboxes, considering the way in which all of his summons are only extensions of Nero's body. The author shows himself time and time again to have the utmost talent in his craft, but this set really epitomises his great understanding of what makes an offensive, or defensive playstyle work well, being by far my favourite amid his large amount of submissions in Make Your Move 9.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
DR. STRANGELOVE

The fact that you only have 6 attacks that deal damage and are “actual attacks” isn’t particularly something you want to advertise. Strange feels needlessly awkward, given mass generic spacing options that he doesn’t particularly need and just sort of vaguely contribute to forcing a foe into. . .A pentagram, I guess? Then what? Just spam projectiles? As you say, coming up to a foe trapped in one to use your only remotely powerful attack, dsmash, just gets yourself screwed over seeing how, y’know, you have so few actual attacks anything you can actually do to, god forbid, -harm- the enemy is god awfully predictable. These random spacing options and such don’t seem to contribute to much of anything, and the filler is laughably blatant when you combine the utilt/dtilt and curb stomp the thought of throws into the ground. The interactions with the magic barrier come off as forced creativity as having to put it back up every so often doesn’t really contribute much of anything to his game, and you in general seem to be just be forcing “creativity” here out the wazoo to try to get this to pass as a half decent set.

The concept you have of Strange acting after death and the astral projection in general –is- legitimately cool and what little you play with it are the few parts of the set that are memorable. However; you seem too busy playing off of that stupid magic shield to get much done with it. Walling off your body inside a pentagram with some grab walls up while you camp with your astral projection is cool, but it doesn’t really go that far above what he’d be doing otherwise other than allowing him to “camp” with moves other than projectiles, seeing his astral projection can’t be hit. This doesn’t contribute that much other than some flash when he can just camp with regular projectiles – Raven had to do it back in the day because she didn’t have regular projectiles, she had actual motive to do so. To top off all of these awkward non damaging attacks and the horrifically underpowered set as a whole that is only brought out for very occasional doubles play, he is in canon horrifically overpowered.

41 INPUTS

20 SPECIALS + 2 standards + 3 smashes + 3 tilts (People still separate these?) + 5 aerials + grab + pummel + 4 throws + 2 usable Final Smashes = Hell

So first, let’s talk about the obvious with this moveset. The moveset as a whole could’ve quite easily been significantly trimmed down, as there is little point to the main moveset other than to give her some close range options seeing all her spells are campy/trappy. This –would- be relevant if not for the fact that her main moveset close range game is so incredibly redundant, having cloned/redundant inputs, most obviously in the usmash/dsmash, and in general having far, far too many grabs for a lightweight female protagonist than one can have without raising some eyebrows. As far as the specials, yes, while they’re all cool and flashy individually, all it boils down to is freeze some water to act as a wall, then either trap them in something or force them into prone then **** them. Maybe through in a Spread Zero somewhere along the line so they won’t dodge.

While the moves are individually creative in a MYM 4 sense, they just offer so little new – they’re not painfully generic filler, but you could easily fit in all of the playstyle in a standard moveset, and this whole approach feels painfully unnecessary. This combined with your excessive detail for what are ultimately simplistic moves, needless to say, really, really doesn’t mix. In any case, if you –did- properly condense the set. . .It’s not like it would really offer anything new to the genre. I’d like to be sympathetic, but with the material you were given which you’ve shown you’re fully willing to abuse with the individually creative spells, you actually –don’t- have the excuse of pinning the blame on the character this time.

DR. OCTOPUS

The main appealing parts of Shuma Gorath involve his Up Special and abusing the tentacle walls, either to **** foes up against them or to get KOs off the top blast zone, most often with the chaos dimension. While attaching a duplicate Shuma Gorath to the foe’s back with the Neutral Special/Side Special combo for standard gimping isn’t really something you focused on all that much, it works much better in taking a foe off the top blast zone. Once you take a foe to the top with Chaos Dimension and they come back down, Shuma can use his duplicate to attack the foe and not waste time jumping up after the foe. What you did involving the tentacles drooping over is made interesting largely on account of Shuma’s ability to heal them with his pummel and make it less of an after thought. Considering the character has so little source material, I think you did well to largely base it off his video game appearances – it works for Shuma where I don’t feel it did for Thanos. In addition, the pictures really help in letting one visualize how all these attacks work with such an awkward body type. You do a pretty good job of differentiating most of the bigger moves from their standard video game counterparts. . .

But there is a degree of filler in the set that is mainly used up with some more direct translations of some of Shuma’s more simplistic moves, such as the nair and dair. . .For instance, nair could’ve worked much better if Shuma worked like a sort of wall of flinching hits that wouldn’t let foes above/below him really get through so that after he failed to kill somebody off the top he could ferry them over to the wall as they came down for some hot chain grabbing action. That, and I would’ve liked to see some more bones in the main set for the 3v1 section – it’s not an after thought like Cody or anything and I’m glad you put it there, but I feel it could’ve really helped this set be your best.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Advertisement Numero Uno

So I don't have too terribly much time to spare right now, but I thought I could kick things off with a quick advertisement for what I was surprised to find was one of my favorite sets this contest...

Sarkhan Vol

LegendofLink started off as an average newcomer in this contest but quickly cemented himself in my eyes as the guy to watch out for in the coming contests; expect some amazing sets from him come MYMX. Sarkhan Vol was only Legend's third set when it was posted, and showed a combination of creativity and brilliance that still impresses me when I look over the set.

Sarkhan could be placed into the realm of a trap or stage-control character, but he's one who holds such overwhelming power than he's constantly pressuring his opponent, and there's a theme of shoving the opponent to the edge of the stage with powerful attacks. It's an interesting fusion of genres, and makes him an interesting ranged powerhouse.

What really brings Sarkhan up to power though is his ability to change his moveset as the battle continues, changing from attacks focused on creating hazards and knocking the opponent into the other hazards he has and can create. The temptation to succumb to the power of black magic is strong, and it's a fusion of character and playstyle that makes character development a pillar of the moveset. Holy crap, this is the kind of stuff I've been trying to do for over a year now, and LegendofLink does it in his third moveset.

Sarkhan Vol is not without his faults; the changes last across stocks, which is cool for character by making it a commitment that you can't turn back on, but it also makes it harder to actually play him. A few other moves stand out as odd, primarily the capstone moves that he gets at the end which are a little awkward. Overall though, the moveset is one that has a wonderful mix of character, playstyle, and creativity that makes it a joy to read and a joy to imagine playing as.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver

Landlos
After everyone declared N. Brio the obvious Warlord top contender, he released this beast upon us, and I was, to be honest, much more impressed with it than N. Brio. Landlos takes many past Warlordian concepts and sews them together into a quilt of smoothly flowing playstyle and characterization in one set. Landlos, being a Ground/Flying Pokemon, has two phases: flying and rooted. Each of these emphasizes the important qualities of the respective typing, and you must constantly switch between these during the match. Landlos, being the god of crops, can create crops to lure foes into his pit of doom or to greedily consume himself. While the foe is in said pit, Landlos can throw hellfire and brimstone at them to keep them down. Completely domineering, perfect for both a legendary and a Warlord set. It's a great quality set, and a staple of the brilliance Warlord continues to reinvent each contest. Vote or Super Vote this above N. Brio; it's a real diamond in the rough.

Katapultar

Smash Lord
Beast this, trollboy

Easily my favorite set in this contest, Unlimited Hazama does something that no other set does: he looks down on you. What Thrice, A.K.A phatcat203, has delivered is a written masterpiece that easily surpasses the realms of 3rd person writing.

I've personally never played Blazblue ever, but this guy appeals to me on so many levels. He's confident smartass who's not afraid to show it. I've admired phatcat203's talent for a long time, and here he uses it to bring out Hazama's personality and string it together perfectly. Some of the quips that he manages to come up with amaze me. Lampshade the fact that items are turned on for the Final Smash? AWESOME. Like a roadster, Hazama brings quality entertainment to a whole new level.

Also for those of you who actually give a crap about playstyle, which would be like, 90% of you, this set will appeal to you. As quoted by Rool in his last post on the Stadium, "every set has playstyle", which makes this set cool because it has playstyle. That basically means that every set is cool, and that means that people suck.

If you're one of those ignorant a-holes who ignores a person's set because the MYMer themeself is 'underrated' or not the likes of Warlord, Junahu, meanie, MT, or whoever, do yourself a favor and read this, because if you don't I wouldn't be surprised if you went insane the next day from the curiosity you suffered through from not reading it. People will be really happy if you voted for this FUN AND EDUCATIONAL set. Learn where profit comes from peeps.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
With the Katapultar advertisement behind you, welcome back to the land of sanity.

JEICE

Smash Daddy

Why am I advertising a set posted so recently? Because the sets at the start of the contest are the ones that are overexposed while the ones at the end were caught in a flood – besides, people actually read movesets back in the day. . .

In any case, Jeice is a fantastic set that revolves around use of a single projectile that he repeatedly reflects about and manipulates. With his ability to call the projectile back to himself, he doesn’t have to babysit the projectile much and is free to make it go as fast as he wants. This also means if he whiffs with his ultimate attack it’s not like all the build-up is just wasted like in so many similar movesets. He has a good slew moves that serve as nice distractions for his gigantic ball of death – the controllable beam-like fsmash not only does this, but also leaves behind a trail briefly that can reflect the death ball. There are plenty of other clever uses of it throughout the moveset without it ever feeling redundant or the playstyle too one dimensional, leaving me quite impressed when the moveset is so centralized on the gigantic death ball of doom. What’s perhaps more impressive is that Smady did this on such a bland character – I specifically told Smady this and the Ginyu Force as a whole couldn’t happen because making a half-decent Jeice set was impossible, but he proved me wrong.

NECKY

BKupa666

The most basic flying enemy in a platformer game is rarely given the chance to be a competent threat – rather, they are often demoted to a simple tool of the game designer and actually unknowingly aid the protagonist by functioning as moving platforms. Necky is one such enemy, and the fact that Kupa not only made a moveset for such an enemy but milked this much potential out of it is astounding. How does it work? Necky functions just like he does in the game by being completely solid, and this enables Necky to scoop people up then ferry them off-stage/the top blast zone for gimp KOs. This isn’t making a stretch in order to make a big moveset – I feel that if you didn’t make a moveset for Necky centering around this, you’d be missing out on the main point of the “character”. Necky has a surprising amount of ways to vary things up in how he knocks foes onto his back, as well as many interesting moves that would normally be dismissed as useless due to their range, but function excellently to keep foes from getting off Necky early. One would think there would be little variety in how Necky plays and that he’d “only have one KO option”, but his KO method has surprising variation based off where Necky attempts to take the foe – either off the top, sides, or bottom blast zone.

One of the main complaints back when the set was posted was that it was too overpowered. Aside from being rather trivial, this complaint has become more moot with time anyway as more and more aerial god-like characters have been introduced, most obviously the horde of DragonBall Z characters, Bizarro, and Landlos – if you’re going to hold it against him, you’re going to have to hold it against a good chunk of my sets as well.

AIANTO

n88_2004

Aianto manages to get the feel of an ant colony down shockingly well, as Aianto summons his buddies up from the ground then they all march towards the foe in a line. While this isn’t a moveset for an ant, that’s basically how Aianto’s entire painfully bland character (Even for a Pokemon) can be summed up – it’s an ant. . .Oh also, it’s made of steel. Nobody will make comparisons now! We’re so very clever. . .

The main interesting parts of Aianto’s game come from when he’s marching forwards. With your ability to transfer your control from ant to ant, you’d think you’d only be using the one in the front, but you’d be wrong. . .You can poke the ones in the back to make the ones in front speed up, pass a foe you’ve caught among the ants in the line, and all sorts of other fun tricks. Notably, the march doesn’t stop when the Aianto army reaches the foe if the lead can pull off a grab, as they literally march right over them as if they were solid with full access to their usual movesets, enabling them to attack the victim from every imaginable angle at once.

www.nutsybolts.com/invite.php/66185/Pingas

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
~ Jalorda ~

To really appreciate this set, you have to first understand the context in which Hyper_Ridley is creating it, a context very distinct from our notion of bigger and bigger creativity. In recent times, HR has been most intrigued by what is possible within the constraints of PSA - that is, what could be nearly - if not literally - implemented directly into Brawl and be played right alongside Sakurai's characters.

It is under these constraints that this set reveals itself as just as creative as any N. Brio or Diglett. Jalorda casually, almost nonchalantly, reveals all of our sets as artificial, as constructs, as showcases of our cleverness rather than anything approaching what would be useful or interesting in a practical setting. HR relies on us as reader to be intelligent and patient enough to read through "dull" attacks without being babied, and to watch as he substitutes the process of construction with a much more difficult, impressive and rewarding process of assembly.

For anyone who has ever read a Thrice set and wondered how they could possibly manage all of its impressive hard move interactions in the split-second environment of Smash; for anyone who has ever read a Junahu set and questioned whether its playstyle, so cleverly playing out on paper, could function practically; for anyone who has ever read a Warlord set and balked at how clearly and rigidly every attack has been woven into the playstyle; there is Jalorda. This set is no less than the culmination of our development over nine MYMs. This set is the epitome of the nigh-forgotten goal of making movesets: to assemble through attacks that are no more far-fetched than what Sakurai could make a character that he might have designed had he had an inkling of the concepts of move synergy and expression of character through playstyle - in short, if he had been remotely aware of the concepts which HR has mastered. In this set, HR is not serving his own creativity, or his ego, or even his knowledge of the character; rather, the MYMer vanishes in service of a character in a game. This is very possibly my favourite set in MYM 9.

---

The Case for Blooper

The very last thing I want to do to n88_2004 - one of the most consistently impressive MYMers, but also one who has achieved some of the greatest heights over the last contest with miraculous sets like Spritomb and Aianto - is to wreck him with vote split. I would like to think that vote split is an outdated concept, and that as time has gone by people have become more willing to give multiple votes to the same MYMer, but just in case, let me reiterate: as nice as it is to spread the love, MYMers who produce multiple great sets deserve to be rewarded for their consistency and devotion, not punished.

Blooper's moveset represents the notions - which I keep repeating because I like its ring - of spatial instability. You see, entering a Brawl, whether playing an aggressive character or a defensive one, there are certain truths we take for granted: when we stop running, we do stop; when we stand still, we do not move; when we grab, all motion temporarily ceases. Whether we realize it or not, these banally obvious concepts are the very foundation of how we play. Blooper does away with these constants. Blooper very quickly makes grabs ineffective, and makes stillness impossible, and even makes aerial approaches dangerously imprecise via his NAir. Not only does the foe careen about the stage uncontrollably, Blooper's own motion is constant, unpredictable, erratic, as it is any Mario game. In this playing environment, the concept of momentum becomes irrelevant, and a single mistimed careless attempt at approach can result in a complete reversal and in Blooper suddenly swooping over to deliver a humble, sudden, humiliating KO.

Like HR, n88 expects his reader to be attentive enough to draw out this wholly unique and layered playstyle, and to be fair enough not to incorrectly reduce it to a pale imitation of other movesets on the basis of the most superficial similarities.

---​

Pyro Jack

I have never been so impressed with an MYMer as have been with Daddy for his sudden, apparently spontaneous decision to begin putting some passion into his movesets over the course of the last MYM. With Jeice, yes, he demonstrates his impeccable ability to draw something out of nothing at all without ever forcibly compromising his character, but also with the gamemode-like Muk, the delightfully and stubbornly straightforward Recoome, and most of all with this set, to me his indisputable magnum opus.

Pyro Jack, at his broadest, must tend to and feed his flames; as long as he does, he can remain drifting far above like an unholy spirit, raining projectiles and turning the stage beneath him into a burning hell from his puppetmaster's post. To describe it in such simple terms, however, is to do an injustice to a moveset that needs to be read - carefully - to have the full mesh of its playstyle revealed. You do have to brave the oppressive organization, the suffocating writing style, and the heavy detail; this is neither a Blooper nor a Jalorda, although once tapped into, its ideas surface much more clearly and accessibly. At that point, Pyro Jack recalls Warlord's sets circa Dingodile, and yet remains distinctly stamped by Daddy's fluid adaptation to his character's strengths and weaknesses and the respect he pays to both when he puts together a playstyle. I am very content to vote for no less than five of his seven movesets. Vote split begone!

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver

Blaze the Cat
Blaze is a set from good ol' Junahu, the OP of MYM9. She is a staple of what truly makes Junahu a good movesetter and a real jewel. Blaze makes use of her feline and firey abilities, and even though I've never played a Sonic game since 2 way back in the day, it looks like her abilities are pulled off with aplomb. She also does quite a good job at being in-smash, and she is one of the most in-smash sets in the contest, even going as far as to be built off of Sonic's moveset- I wouldn't call her a clone, or even a luigified clone, but she does share similarities with the blue blur. The real twist to this moveset, however, is that one of her moves can be used in almost any situation, making it a versatile and altogether important attack. The way I described it sounds lame, I know, but you have to read it for yourself to understand how truly cool and interesting the move and the moveset is. The moveset also has a nifty bunch of extras, including matchups with all the Sonic movesets of MYM's past, which is fairly awesome. Oh, I haven't even mentioned the awesome organization that won me over as well, although Junahu is the organization god, so this isn't surprising in the least. So yes, give Blaze a read, and definitely vote for it- even super vote it.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
100th post!

And now for another ad:
Spiritomb

Spiritomb is a set by n88 that hasn't gotten a lot of attention since it first appeared at the beginning of a massive storm of more sets by n88, but it certainly stands out as one of the most sadistic sets of this contest. Spiritomb mainly operates by bestowing status effects upon the foe, which would be nothing new if it weren't for the fact that Spiritomb can't be KO'd through traditional methods. The opponent has to instead remove Spiritomb's keystone from the stage to finally get rid of the ghostly menace. Couple this with a massive plethora of methods for messing with the opponent's movement or even their moveset itself and you have one of the most evil sets ever created without it being blatantly overpowered, as characters with sufficient zoning prowess can keep Spiritomb off of them long enough to move the keystone around if it isn't careful.

half_silver28

Smash Ace
Because I know you've all been waiting so eagerly....or not

It's that time again MYM! The nomination period for the MYM9 Awards is open! Just PM me up to 5 nominations for each of the categories below (you don't have to do every one though, and best Leader is kind of closed to nominations, so yeah) by 11:59 EST on Monday night: 5 days from today. And remember: if you don't nominate at least 5 movesets/MYMers for any category, I get to choose them myself! So get all your nominations in! See ya later guys :)

MYM9 Awards: The Categories

Best Moveset Designer

Best New Designer

Best Pokemon Moveset

Best Comic Book/Manga Set

Best Moveset Mechanic

Best Playstyle

Funniest Moveset

Most Improved Designer

Most Helpful MYMer

Funniest MYMer

Best Commenter

Best Leader
MasterWarlord
MarthTrinity
Smash Daddy
Junahu
Bkupa666

MYM9 WINRAR

Special Award: Most Missed MYMer

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
E 1-02 GAMMA

Gamma has some decent camping/trapping stuff going on – the main thing I like about his traps is how the space between them is the real space you’re controlling rather than their direct position. Of course, there’s a lot more to it than that with plenty of other creative uses of them, with setting the foxes to guard them, just making them zap directly downwards, or god forbid turning them into direct hitboxes by hitting them with your pool cue. There’s a decent amount of creative stuff here, and once you get past those awkward specials this is actually a pretty well written set.

The main complaint I have is how hard the move interactions are coded into the set – they feel very forced and have little reason for how they work with one another. Nair and Up Special are the worst offenders obviously, (Using moves as on/off switches you never want off are a bad thing) but I’m also offended by the massive quantity of moves that do absolutely nothing whatsoever without some specific set-up, going through some arcane process to do the simplest of things. Aside from truly one of the only things that is legitimately unsmash to anyone sane, this also makes Gamma rely too much on his set-up then is healthy and makes him too terrible without it.

BLAZE THE CAT

I can’t really begrudge you for having such a bland set when the source material is so gut wrenchingly bland that a moveset for it should just blatantly not exist. You do manage to come up with some very slight playstyle of pressuring, mostly via making them dodge other projectiles from the car/crap you’ve picked up and backing them up against the car so they can’t dodge. The more intriguing part of it is how natural/true to the source material grab, which makes you far more of a threat than any more generic pressuring. I wish you’d focused more on the grab specifically than just in the uair. . .Another thing that seems to be dragging the set down is that a lot of the moves seem to exist just so that Mona and Lisa can actually make them remotely relevant, because you felt the need to make them clones of each other for the lulz. Why do they count as two separate movesets again? Also, the car already felt random enough as is, but it feels more random when the car is largely used as a generic background wall and, y’know, doesn’t move. The picking up weapons thing was also a very arbitrary thing to read at the very start of the moveset when it was so much longer than the rest of it and ended up contributing little to nothing to the moveset.

BLAZE THE CAT

By concept this moveset has the right to be more interesting – 2 player co-op in a 1v1 is a great idea, and you play with it to a degree. Outside the specials, you force some of Blaze’s moves to be terrible fodder so that Mona and Lisa can have some fodder to kick their other balled up sister around and. . .Other than that they’re largely clones. I’m also impressed with how little you talk about uses as you go through the moveset, and one of the main things you –do- talk about is how to account for when your sister is an idiot. Good show. Considering how little you touch on legitimate playstyle in the set the summary would’ve been very much relevant here, what with all of the copypastas that were meant for Blaze in the set – the grab in particular is no longer a shining part of the moveset. The only non cloned move outside the specials is the dsmash. . .Which. . .Uhhhh. . .Gives them lag for no benefit whatsoever other than letting you take sexy pictures? Credibility lost.

HEAVY IS JETPACK

. . .This isn’t a moveset for Gary’s Mod videos. For the love of god why’d you do that.

Aside from that, the sheer randomness of the status effects throughout the moveset is staggering, outside their actual effects, their duration and whether or not they can hit the Medic as well as the inputs they were placed on seems as if it was chosen by a roulette wheel of some sort. Hell, the pummel literally gives the foe a completely random status ailment just because the main moveset didn’t do that enough. The main point of the set seems to be to heal the foe to get invincibility/power up your moves, but considering the Medic has no gimping game or way to get early KOs, he’ll be hard pressed to pull off a kill on a foe at 0%, much less in such a short span of time – this isn’t just a simple matter of number crunching, I feel it’s rather conceptually flawed. Also, no match-ups for human centipede. Warlord is severely disappoint.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
HEAVY IS JETPACK

. . .This isn’t a moveset for Gary’s Mod videos. For the love of god why’d you do that.
Because I thought it was funny. Apparently fun and humor is banned from movesets now, unless it's snide references to other movesets.

Aside from that, the sheer randomness of the status effects throughout the moveset is staggering, outside their actual effects, their duration and whether or not they can hit the Medic as well as the inputs they were placed on seems as if it was chosen by a roulette wheel of some sort. Hell, the pummel literally gives the foe a completely random status ailment just because the main moveset didn’t do that enough
Remind me, what "random status effects" are there outside of the pummel? All the statuses I used came from Team Fortress 2 and actually are useful for the Medic, as well as being in-character since he's a doctor, or I just thought they were a fun idea and put them in. The pummel I decided to put in there because it was an incentive for the foe to submit itself to the Medic's healing or bed.

The main point of the set seems to be to heal the foe to get invincibility/power up your moves, but considering the Medic has no gimping game or way to get early KOs, he’ll be hard pressed to pull off a kill on a foe at 0%, much less in such a short span of time – this isn’t just a simple matter of number crunching, I feel it’s rather conceptually flawed.
No gimping game? He has a couple of moves whose purpose is nothing BUT gimping.

Also, no match-ups for human centipede. Warlord is severely disappoint.
I was gonna put them in but the good leadership said that MYM was ending that night, then after I post it they decide to secretly extend it because MasterWarlord and Smady hadn't finished the Ginyu Force. Hooray for using leadership powers for your own benefit. After that I never got around to it. And after this comment, I really don't feel like it.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Because I thought it was funny. Apparently fun and humor is banned from movesets now, unless it's snide references to other movesets.
Humor and referencing youtube poops in what's suppossed to be an all encompassing moveset for a character are entirely different matters. A Mario remix moveset shouldn't involve him using the enclosed instruction booklet or using toasters to toast toast.

Remind me, what "random status effects" are there outside of the pummel? All the statuses I used came from Team Fortress 2 and actually are useful for the Medic, as well as being in-character since he's a doctor, or I just thought they were a fun idea and put them in. The pummel I decided to put in there because it was an incentive for the foe to submit itself to the Medic's healing or bed.
By "random status effects", I don't directly mean like in the pummel with them being literally random, but as in he injects them 500 times and each time just so happens to give the foe a different status effect for whatever reason. What the status effects actually do despite all being different didn't seem to contribute to much of anything and just felt like forced creativity.

No gimping game? He has a couple of moves whose purpose is nothing BUT gimping.
You have me here, as I forgot the moves that forced the foe into helpless. Either way, just a couple of moves (2, IIRC) for it doesn't seem like enough for such a valuable part of his game, and he still lacks a way to get them off the stage.

I was gonna put them in but the good leadership said that MYM was ending that night, then after I post it they decide to secretly extend it because MasterWarlord and Smady hadn't finished the Ginyu Force. Hooray for using leadership powers for your own benefit. After that I never got around to it. And after this comment, I really don't feel like it.
Yes, we totally planned it. That song which shall not be named has such a Warlordian feel, y'know? Ocon let us in on it in advance. Those dastardly leaders.

If we extended it just to the end of Friday, we may as well have just ended it on the main day, unless we specifically wanted the contest to be open when there were filters up the wazoo. I had all of my sets done, and Smady would've finished Recoome the main night if he had to - he was relieved when he had more time seeing it was already way past his British bed time and called it a night.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Catch-Up Comment Pull 2.0

Now let's move on to Vegeta, and for the life of me I couldn't figure Vegeta's playstyle out. You claim that he's the Prince of Chasers in his playstyle section, but most of his moves are charge-up attacks, and it doesn't really fit in with the theme of watching the fake moon like you imply it does. Zanoken is cool and all, and I do like the idea of having more time to charge up moves by dodging an attack and releasing them into the opponent's face, but it doesn't fit into CHASING like you say it does.

The fake moon also doesn't seem like it really does all that much for Vegeta, at least in comparison to Nappa. It's a powerful buff, to be sure, but I didn't get the sense from most of his moves that he was really built to focus on activating it. Making the threat of activating it a bigger deal than activating it was probably fitting then, especially since his great ape form isn't nearly as big a part of his character as, say, Super Saiyan is, which somehow got lost on the way to this moveset.

Too much of the moveset feels repetitive though. There didn't feel like there was enough variation in purpose for so many of his different attacks, and the melee moves all have secondary effects that are unnecessary and feel like they were attached to make it look longer and more important.

Vegeta isn't bad, but it failed to really impress me. It has the feeling of what would have been a great work several contests ago, but just seems banal now.

Nappa is overwhelming proof that Warlord hasn't run out of ideas for grab-games yet. Directional pummels? Grabbing objects and opponents and then manipulating them in oh so delicious ways before throwing them, both to attack the enemies he grabbed and anyone in the way? You haven't even started to run out of steam.

This is a very classic Warlordian moveset, with the moves and ideas wound up so tightly that there's little room to do anything other than the very impressive set you've set up here. Moves like the Up Smash are clear signs of your stamp on this moveset, a move that is designed specifically for a subvariation in some potential spin-off of his game with his earth pieces, and it's one of the moves I ended up liking the least.

Nappa overall though I found likable, mostly having to do with how the grab gave so many options to play around with and be creative with different possible situations. It's not my favorite set of yours this contest, but certainly a strong contender.

Oh Katapultar, just when I had been wondering how much more your over-creativity would overwhelm your movesets, you create one much more suiting to my sensibilities! Keledo is a moveset that shows a definite hand of restraint on it; possibly one that is too strong. It's certainly a very 'Katapultar' idea that you have, carrying the foes on your back into the water for their doom, and one that certainly has merit, reminiscent of Wheel Gator from several contests ago.

Keledo certainly has good ideas on it, and you use the ability to walk on water and make pools to create a much more feasible method for drowning opponents than Seismitoed did by Warlord.

If there is one complaint that has to be made, it's that after setting up the grab (with no throws) as a passively activated move when an opponent lands on top of him, you hint at being able to attack and manipulate the foe while they're on your back, but almost never refer to that idea again, it having more or less disappeared as an afterthough except for a brief reprise in the down aerial.

If I were to make a suggestion on where to go from here, I would encourage you to continue to embrace those wild ideas of yours, and build them up, asking questions about what the player would need in situations, and how to advance the ideas. Keledo is a reprisal though that when you're not rocking back and forth in a straightjacket inside your local McDonalds, you're an unpredictably dangerous movesetter.

Now, time for Silver's dreaded comment of mine on Rita. I'm afraid I do have to reiterate what most everyone else said about this moveset; with such a generic set of standards, all those specials could have fit into the moveset itself, and you could have avoided the unusual input system and filler feel of the standards. The standards have just as much extra writing as the specials too.

Rita isn't very reader friendly by the way; when you have that many extra moves, for every individual attack to be that long-winded is pretty overwhelming on the reader.

In the end, Rita feels like an old-guard of the old way of making stage control and camping characters in opposition to movesets like Dormammu. Large hitboxes and trappy/ranged attacks that fit together through interactions and don't really come together as anything more. It certainly does a good job from that paradigm, but I don't feel it really holds up.

I was a little surprised to see a rushed set for Obi-Wan Kenobi, a set I ended up liking a bit more than I expected (I suppose primarily due to the short, no-nonsense approach it takes after Rita/Vegeta). It certainly does end up taking a lot of liberties from movesets that came before it.

I've never been a fan of lag-decreasing mechanics, as they imply that frames and animations work differently than they really do, but I do like how it is integrated into Obi-Wan as a way for him to use his unique shield to his advantage.

Obi-Wan still has some marks of yours that signify your continuing learning; regular moves that don't do any damage; with specials and three regular attacks that don't do damage, Obi-Wan is missing out on some options. It's also too simplistic overall, but the spacing and defensive gameplay actually does end up working well with something that boils down to what is essentially generic sword moves. Obi-Wan is hardly an exciting moveset, but it's one that shows growth and is solid if nothing else.

I can really just copypasta my comments for Erufuun here if I was so inclined, because Electric Gamma has essentially the same problems. You have complexity, which isn't a problem in of itself, but you have so many moves that are absolutely reliant on copious set-up or can only work in specific scenarios that he's practically unplayable. Several moves are purely set-up that can't be activated when he'll be using most of his moveset. Worse yet, several of these are one-shot standard moves.

There certainly are twinkles of brilliance in here; it takes a very unique approach to stage control, and manipulation of the twin hounds have some cool things that he can do. If you had gotten rid of some of the excess and given Gamma more ways to play outside of his set-up, this would be a fun set to play as.

If there's one piece of advice I'd give to you it's to encourage you to make sure that even though every move has a purpose that the move doesn't have a purpose so utterly specific it can't be used in any other context. Brawl isn't a scientific, tactical set-up, and even if it's slower than other fighting games it's still a fighting game. You've essentially shut out the player.

Amaterasu, like so many of your sets, is a set I feel like I should like more than I do. It has simple move ideas, plenty of inputs, and a great deal of flexibility. It does have a weapon changing mechanic, something that is an absolute staple in your movesets so strong that I can barely think of a moveset you made without one, although, as in other cases, it's justified in Amaterasu, although it also forces you to use less interesting individual inputs than you might otherwise you.

Beyond those issues though, the real meat of the moveset is the celestial brush which is recreated very faithfully and gives the Sun Goddess a lot of interesting options, especially when it comes to gimping.

I feel like the lynchpin that's missing from Amaterasu, and from many of your sets, is that you maintain a great deal of faithfulness in how the character plays mechanically, but their style and creativity in how they play gets lost in what is as close to a 1:1 translation as possible.

n88 finally usurped my record for movesets this contest with Dr. Strange, a set which had some great ideas but ultimately failed to impress. The magic shield was essentially a blatant set-up move that gave generic buffs with no tactical reasoning to inputting it, which raises all sorts of little red flags when that's one of the biggest factors in the moveset.

Dr. Strange certainly has a cool little idea going with his grab, but it feels like a special to me, not an actual grab, and I think it took up the grab input to avoid throws. Speaking of missing damage opportunities, Strange is horribly damage starved with all of those non-damaging moves. He's got almost no real option to do damage, and basically all of them are projectiles.

There's good stuff to like here, and as usual, n88 is full of good ideas, but much like Aianto, there's too much empty stuff in between to endorse this set. I can't possibly understand what Warlord sees different about Durant.

And now I really, really need to go get dinner. I wanted to get some more progress done on these though before I did. Ta-ta everyone! I HAVE read all of your sets now, so it's just finishing up at this point.

Smady

Smash Master
Making the threat of activating it a bigger deal than activating it was probably fitting then, especially since his great ape form isn't nearly as big a part of his character as, say, Super Saiyan is, which somehow got lost on the way to this moveset.
I don't have much to say about this comment [which is perfectly fine aside from this], but this is simply false. Vegeta's Oozaru is a significant part of his character in the saga where he's the main villain, with him using the form as a last resort before being defeated. Nappa never uses it. Considering this moveset is based upon this saga as well, having him use super saiya-jin would be completely unfitting. Aside from maybe the special throw, every move is conceivable for Vegeta to use at that time in the series; he didn't go super saiya-jin until two sagas later.

Again, not taking issue with you, DM, just this one thing that I've heard one too many times.

Here's some commentary on sets which I'll be working on to get some feedback for the latest sets in the contest. They're not as finely edited as they usually are, but I figured these submissions needed a little bit of reception regardless.

I do take issue with how in Rita, it seems that the logic may well be that more inputs is better – this started off a massive debate in the chat a while back, though I can safely say that it's not necessarily a good thing. This is the only real flaw in the set: it's an impenetrable wall of magical attacks, which function like a compendium of spells for your up-and-coming wizard or witch. From a reading perspective, it's quite a lot to get through before you get to the main set. And I have to say, the main set feels utterly ignored in comparison to how much attention you lather on the specials. It's really not that I hate this approach, but it's awkwardly front-ended. Altogether, it doesn't flow particularly well into the rest of the moveset either, with almost all of Rita's playstyle depending on her knowledge of her spells.

Though from another point of view, this entire gambit was pretty interesting in terms of relating to the character. You can empathise especially well with Rita, when having to memorise and actually use according this massive book of enchantments, some with obscure strengths or weaknesses that only a truly advanced magician will know about. So it's a little bit of character development, though it may just be accidental. Though really, this would have also been accomplished had you simply spread the inputs out more, even if this meant sharing inputs with two-plus moves. The fact that you also can't use any of these moves in the air really doesn't do Rita any favours. For what it's worth, though, you were able to pull off some very creative individual inputs and the effects were mostly unique amongst each other; the most genuine flow is certainly just in the specials. If you actually put all this material to good measure, this set could have a potentially massive, impressive playstyle, and I do see a glimpse of that even still.

Obi-Wan Kenobi doesn't require comment beyond saying that you need to work on differentiating inputs, putting creativity over playability. There's some imaginative inputs that deal with his incredible agility, dodging and incorporates Jedi combat competently. However, Obi-Wan is a little bland overall – he lacks any solid ways to make his moves flow together, whether by an interconnecting mechanic or overarching playstyle which could have connected together some of his seemingly more generic attacks; there's a theme of defensive moves, but this needs to be stronger. This is all basically just because you're still new to the contest, but I definitely want to see you improve in the next, and I totally expect you to! As a side note, it's fine to take inspiration from another moveset [Espeon is an excellent example of a psychic character], but simply quoting parts from one is hilariously lazy.

The approach you take with Bizarro whereby generic attacks become a spider's web is something we've seen plenty of times before, so I don't know why that is so appealing – it reminds me of Junahu's “surprise” approach to moveset making, but I feel that has a little more charm to it than this. The rhetoric of saving your opponents from the stage seems to be referenced everywhere in context to this moveset, but it's just one line in a set completely oblivious to any kind of unique writing style; it's an interesting concept, yet barely explored, and this is apparently why I should super vote this set. Not to say I didn't like the grab game – on the contrary, it's the one thing I feel was suitably simple, conducive to the playstyle and tactful. As well as being all over the stage, in this area of his game and most others, which is again, tactfully in-character and enjoyably intuitive. In terms of flow, I think this set has a few loose strings that stem from it being somewhat rushed.

I was fairly impressed with Gamma, and not just in comparison to other sets of yours like Hazama which lacked such a self-conscious playstyle and good concepts. It's your basic projectile camper – he throws out his cue balls, then it's his job to try and space them around to his own benefit. They're essentially airborne traps in this way, though you go quite deep with the interactions. The depth of the interactions is good, while I'd say you probably could have implemented something of an independent moveset without the balls ever coming into play, but I suppose there's really no point in not having the balls out to manipulate in the first place. The ways you work with the balls – constantly making use of their charge, moving them into positions that benefit your current spacing wants and needs – is always suited and the flow is decent with all these moves. It's all good stuff, and especially from you, easy enough to understand. Not to say the writing style is exactly perfect, but it wasn't impossible like Hazama.

Oh, Twilt, I'm saddened that this may be your last set. I was really holding out hope that, after Edgeworth, you were going places in Make Your Move, and unfortunately, given the circumstances, I find it hard to justify a patronisingly positive comment. In many ways, Amaterasu seems a spiritual successor to your Nero set near the beginning of the contest, which I received as not edited enough. Here, there is a clear distinction made between what is adapting an idea and applying it to Smash in a watered down, workable version; there's also simply copying and pasting, hoping that this works and knowing that you're being completely true to character. You more-or-less just take what Okami lets the player do in that game, then put it directly into this moveset. On top of that, you have Dante's weapon-changing mechanic, which is no more appropriate or helpful here in creating a flowing playstyle. And I hate to say it, but you have a fair bit of filler, which is surprising when you say you worked so long on this set. Your difficulty really shows, but I guess that's why you're going into retirement. It was fun while it lasted and I hope you return to make movesets again, though I'll obviously be seeing you in the chat daily until then.

With Dr. Strange, the whole blue / red colour scheme and circumstantial moves make this another set hat reminds me of my own Raiden, but a lot of the same problems there [and in some other sets with similar concepts, which there are many of before and after] also pop up here. The breaking from your body with the spirit form is a genuinely interesting and exciting concept, but you don't really capitalise on it, or the fact that you can abandon your body when you've been knocked out. There's a basic lack of flow here, being that many of the inputs are simply traps which can be buffed and there's also a lot of non-damaging moves that mean Dr. Strange would find himself at the bottom of the tiers. In the likely event of having to rely on your spirit form, there's simply not enough there to make it substantial, being mostly an annoyance to your opponent. Brilliant concept, obviously rushed; Dormammu and Aianto are far better.

Medic is very, very rushed, and it shows. The concept of a support character like Medic having to constantly heal his opponent is such a tricky one to pull off in Smash, I'm not surprised at all that this project ended up feeling a little hackneyed. It's hard to find any ways to flow into this healing of your opponent. Stuff like the up special are also frustrating, it's the kind of thing I'd expect out of Katapultar, not you, Khold. Consider me underwhelmed.

MarthTrinity

Smash Lord
N.Brio​

Really? You guys are gonna leave it all up to little ol' MT to advertise this set? The moveset that, since it was posted, has been called Warlord's frontrunner for the contest? Now, that's not to say sets like Ginyu and Nappa aren't peachy-keen in their own rights...but personally? I think N.Brio is the Warlordian moveset to watch out for when it comes to voting.

Why you ask? Why not I reply. N.Brio is one of those most excellent "potential-less" characters I do love. In first canon boss fight, N.Brio does little more than toss potions and create slime monsters (before hulking out in which case he does even -LESS-). The main hook of N.Brio can be seen directly in his boss fight; his hulk-form and his living slime. The hulked-out form is essentially your KO method. Let's face it, N.Brio's pretty much a weenie without this so he needs a reliable way of killing. What Warlord gave us here was a transformation with its own mini-moveset. Spamming this however will get the fairly lightweight doctor murdered in the ending lag however so you as the player must set it up carefully.

The best way to do this obviously is via N.Brio's living slime. Yes, this was -ANOTHER- stage-coating-in-slime moveset for this contest, but it's probably the one that does it the best. Essentially, N.Brio can slap down his slime wherever he pleases...but unlike a lot of those "slime-based" characters, Brio is totally vulnerable to his own traps meaning you have to be a bit more strategic than just "COAT ERRYTHING IN SLIME TO WIN". With that said, Brio can also manipulate his Ivan Ooze to hop about and trap the foe further! Oh, and did I mention that, in theory, Brio can do all of this while entirely in the air and away from his ooze via his Up Special? I didn't? Whoops. To further expand upon just how much Warlord thought this one out, he gave Brio a versatile playstyle (I can hear you gasping now) that isn't just "lawl he can do both" but rather goes into detail as to how to play Brio on either side of the spectrum; do you want to be a potion-chucking camper or do you want to use Brio's aggressive air game to gimp them thanks to his wonderful aerial movement?

All in all, as you can tell by the fact that this ad is so bloody fucking long, N.Brio is a wonderfully thought out and executed moveset that captures the character to a T while also providing an interesting (albeit slime-filled) playstyle to engage the reader's mind.

Three ads, off to bed for meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~<3

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
GORUUGU​

N88_2004

With all of the great sets n88’s given us this contest such as Dormammu, Aianto, and Spiritomb, one can be hard pressed to remember n88’s first set of the contest in Goruugu. . .But it’s a set worth remembering. N88 focuses primarily on Goruugu’s powerful golem-like characteristics in the set, but the few ghost moves he has make extensive use of his secondary typing to make a good balance – Night Shade is the highlight of the set, as it provides Goruugu all sorts of mind-games. Despite having only a single simple pitfall based trap, Goruugu has enough moves to make it shockingly interesting. Night Shade enables Goruugu not only to set it up but prevents the foe from knowing where it is, and Goruugu has all sorts of moves to slide the foe across the ground and into his pitfall trap – most notably with protect, the foe attacking Goruugu can cause them to slide into it. After they’re pitfalled, the deed is done and you can finish them off with Goruugu’s titantic golem strength. The fact that Goruugu only has one simplistic trap enables his moveset to be freed up to enable him to still be perfectly playable on a casual level, yet N88 does such a good job with said trap that he doesn’t need anything more to do a very fresh take on the trap character.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
With the MasterWarlord advertisement behind you, welcome back to the land of sanity.

Mr. Minecraft
LegendofLink's first set in the contest could hardly be called his best, but it's definitely a set worth voting for. Mr. Minecraft is the first ever character from Minecraft, which you all know I love, in MYM, and he does a pretty good job of showing off the character's abilities. Mr. Minecraft can place blocks to recover with and stand on, which is his signature ability in Super Meat Boy and Minecraft itself, as well as pelt foes with snowballs, flood the stage with a water bucket, and more. Mr. Minecraft shows off a bunch of the weapons and tools from Minecraft, using them as attacks as well. One of the best challenges this set meets however, besides not having much to work with, is that it's a simple, down to earth moveset that is very in-character and could be implemented well into Brawl. Among the crowd of overcreativity, overdone concepts, and blatantly unsmash attacks and mechanics, Mr. Minecraft shines as a moveset for Smash, not some over the top "let's see how many new and out of the box concepts we can cram into one character" moveset. Most MYMers take a while to get it down, but LegendofLink did it on his first try- something I haven't seen in a while.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Time to finish off these Comments!

As for the Medic, I can't help but reiterate some of the stuff that has already been said. Certainly, there is an inherent randomness to some of the side effects of attacks and such, where they don't feel particularly strongly connected to the actions or inputs themselves. I was alos a tad offended by the medical bed move; while it worked for Joy, it just seems comical for the Medic to be pulling it out. Same with the jetpack Heavy, but I think I might actually have been disappointed if that weren't his recovery.

The main concern I have is with how you use the Ubercharge though. Yes, he has gimping moves, and his diabolical, sneaky, scientific personality combined with his requirement to heal the foe means that gimping is essentially necessary for him. When he does get Ubercharged though, this isn't set-up so he can gimp the opponent without risk to himself though, it's just... an opportunity... to rush the opponent down? You never connect these two aspects together, and the whole set falls apart because of it.

Certainly, getting the magic that made Nurse Joy so good would be difficult to recreate, but Medic's mercenary status and personality made him one of the best characters who could really fulfill a healing based and still offensive playstyle, so it's disappointing that this never gets capitalized on in a way that's really satisfying.

Now then, I was quite excited to see Shuma-Gorath by our favorite MarthTrinity. He's certainly a fun character, and very true to his Marvel vs Capcom 2 roots while still fitting in Brawl pretty well.

What was most exciting about the set was of course his ability to wall off blastzones with his giant tentacles and play around with them and his clone, tossing them around, off of walls, or forcing them into the CHAOS CLIKITYCLANKMENSION! The standards also were fairly nice, with only a few that really felt generic at all.

That having been said, they all didn't flow together quite as well as I might have liked. There's certainly fun to be had with his ability to easily transition from air to ground, and that air grab of his can set up a lot of cool stuff. Overall though, after the Specials and Grab it didn't feel like this set was doing anything new or introducing any meaningful advances to his playstyle outside of very straightforward concepts, which really held it back for me in the end.

Now then, onto the five Dragon Ball Z movesets. I am not terribly excited about thi First, let it be said that I have never watched Dragon Ball Z. Not as a child, and I haven't now. Therefore, much like mortals, these characters mean nothing to me.

Regardless, let us begin with Burter, the excessively tall speed demon who joins a long history of characters taller than Ganondorf so that they can take away the character's single useful aspect to us as moveset designers. Burter's tornado and momentum play is very interesting, and in combination with his flash movement makes him very fun to imagine zipping around the stage and attacking. I get the mental image of a Burter ditto match with both teleporting behind each other ad infinitum.

The set isn't just cute tricks like that though, as it has a unique way of using momentum and throws to score kills and shift around the stage, and does a very good job of using just one trap to set up a lot of different ways to manipulate the foe to Burter's liking.

Recoome is next, and what a set it is. First of all, you've had some bad writing before, but with Recoome some sections are simply atrocious. I didn't even understand his mechanic due to the way you explained it until I had Warlord explain it, which he did successfully in two short sentences.

Recoome's mechanic is horrid though. This isn't a positive mechanic at all, it's a negative one. You're giving him these horribly laggy attacks and making him set-up to make them less laggy, and sell this as him being unpredictable. All this means though is that, with copious set-up, he's just as unpredictable as ANY moderately fast character in the game. And on top of that, since you need specific combinations of taunts to set up certain moves, it actually makes him more predictable because he can only have one powerful, moderately quick attack at a time, so the other player knows what's coming!

His anti-grab is nigh-useless and highly punishable. He has to essentially predict a grab to land it, and the opponent is always going to opt for attacks because Recoome can't punish them with anything out of shield, as his other grab has Falcon Punch start-up. Sure, that means he can perform his taunts with that super armor, but it takes so long that any player is going to be able to deal more raw damage to him during the taunts than he'll be able to make up even if he lands his predictable, still somewhat slow attacks that are set up by it.

Taunting as a mechanic booster is always a dangerous game to play, as it's very hard to get right, and this set is just yet another example of how bad of an idea it is.

Captain Ginyu is the third of this endless litany of last minute movesets, and certainly an impressive one. The levitation field is nearly as interesting and useful as it is difficult to imagine actually using and manipulating, but is certainly one of the coolest ways to control space and positioning.

His method of suicide gimping along with bodyswapping makes him especially interesting to imagine playing as, and he's definitely one of those great 'comeback' characters who can with some very smart and tricky play potentially turn two stocks around in a single smart move, throwing himself off only to doom the opponent instead.

I was a little surprised though that, with the exception of some specials that dealt mild self-damage, you never capitalized it like I expected you to from the intro, where you specifically mention him intentionally damaging himself to body-swap with Goku. The first set since Banette where self-damage is truly viable, and you drop the ball.

I certainly prefer Jeice over Recoome and Vegeta; it's no doubt the best of your DBZ sets this contest Smady. Jeice is very reminiscent of Emolga in its method of manipulating a projectile, although unlike Emolga, Jeice has a much easier time being able to recall his projectile to him, bounce it around, and do all sorts of crazy stuff with it.

There are actually a few too many options to manipulate it in my mind in fact. There are so many different ways to tweak exactly what it does, and things that don't make direct logical sense such as gaining the ability to control it or slightly different explosions and effects if he attacks the ball directly. It seems a little overwhelming to control and ended up feeling like forced creativity rather than really fulfilling a playstyle need; the same can be said of the dust clouds he kicks up when there really isn't all that much to be gained obscuring the ball over one small area of the field.

I do like how it works with the grab though, and while some moves felt a little weird, several seemed rather clever, and from what I know of the character, you pretty much eeeked every last drop you could up out of him into a surprisingly solid piece.

Finally in this nightmare of Dragonballs there is Guldo, the character who had seemingly the most potential out of all of them. His punishment style of play didn't terribly impress me though, as it doesn't seem to have as much flow as I would have liked. Certainly, punishing enemy screw-ups is fun, as anyone who's ever won a match as Ganondorf can testify.

Guldo though feels more like a bunch of these 'guess right guess wrong' situations thrown together, instead of flowing together as well as I would have hoped it would. There's a lot of fun to be had with time stops and spacing and camping with long ranged attacks hoping for a slip-up, but it just didn't mesh as well as I would have hoped.

You've pulled an old trick out of your hat in a new way for Blaze, Junahu, where you've captured that arcade feel into a new moveset. Unfortunately though, it wasn't something I particularly liked in Proto Man 10 and my feelings remain mostly the same here.

The walking instant grab is absolutely the highlight of the moveset as her main offensive tool, and it's certainly the most interesting part of a pretty bland moveset otherwise. I don't feel that holding the opponent against the car is as effective of a strategy for landing it as you imply. They can always just... run away, attack back, or heaven forbid, jump. And they can't be hit by the Up Special's bomb then anyways. I imagine it being more effective as a mix-up up close rather than something she'd actually use to approach; walking is hardly the most effective way to get in close on an enemy. That's not to say that the car's ability to mix-up in these situations, plus her ability to limit the direction the opponent can roll, isn't interesting at all...

There are too many attacks that are just too generic and straightforward without really building towards anything else though. The aerials are pretty bad about this, and the Forward Tilt is one of the more creative moves solely because it has a built in shorthop.

As for Mona and Lisa, the concept is certainly very cool if nothing else; a team set balanced as a one-player set, kind of like a built in Kommodo Brothers. Of course while Mona and Lisa have the advantage of being built for 1 v 1, the Kommodo Bros actually had different sets and more creativity.

Without a doubt, the Neutral Special is the star of the show here, and it's certainly a cool idea, using your partner as a wrecking ball to attack the enemy, and it certainly seems villainous as well. In fact, I was just thinking how this moveset could have probably benefited from some more villainous styles of teamwork; that sacrifice Up Special is not only generic but horribly stereotypical. What if they had a recovery that sacrificed the other one?

Anyways, I -am- horribly disappointed in the lack of a playstyle section. Yes, as you said, they're just -teamwork- but teamwork is an idea that's been dragged through before, so implying it to be the key concept behind the moveset just makes it look flimsy.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
With the troll back under his bridge, welcome back to the land of sanity.

KLINK

LegendofLink

LegendofLink’s last moveset in the contest shows his evolution from the painfully bland and uninspired Mr. Minecraft, his obligatory first set which was essentially on the job training, into the leagues of the elite – I don’t believe we’ve ever seen a newcomer adjust to our absurdly high standards so quickly. Klink manages to make controlling two characters at once actually work without relying on just pressing a button to swap between the two, with Klink’s brilliant system of having one of the gears rotate around the other (Whether or not they’re fully connected), enabling him to get the full mileage out of this disgusting character. With the gears fully extended, there’s some great shenanigans afoot as the gears fire projectiles and reflect them between themselves. Other aspects of Klink’s evolution are shown in this set, as LoL clearly learned his lesson from Sarkhan with flashy attacks just for show and has largely done away with them in Klink, with the creativity of the moves only working on behalf of Klink’s glorious playstyle. Without a doubt, LoL's highlight this contest.

I was a little surprised though that, with the exception of some specials that dealt mild self-damage, you never capitalized it like I expected you to from the intro, where you specifically mention him intentionally damaging himself to body-swap with Goku. The first set since Banette where self-damage is truly viable, and you drop the ball.

He doesn't completely and utterly revolve around it - it's essentially just the one thing the character does to differentiate himself. I specifically went into the set with the mindset I wanted it to be a last resort and not an incredibly centralizing centerpiece to the moveset, as he's perfectly comeptent at fighting without it. With how much you go on about character, I should hope you'd be able to understand this.

Kholdstare

Nightmare Weaver
I'm glad someone besides David and MT finally said something about my best set of the contest. I really should have given him a better gimping game, in retrospect. I put the bed in there so he could pin the foe down and wail at them, which is what he can do once he finally gets an Ubercharge. Thanks, DM.

And Warlord sounds salty.

darth meanie

Smash Journeyman
Two Last Advertisements! Can He Do It?

Nappa

Why should YOU vote for Nappa? Well, there are a number of reasons, but let me spell them out for you. First of all, he's got a realistic take on stage manipulation. He'll blow chunks out of the ground, or create a indenture to keep opponents from rolling, but he never does any of the crazy additive or subtractive measures that other stage manipulation sets have done.

Maybe you're going to vote for Nappa because he has one of the coolest grab games we've seen in a long time. MasterWarlord proves in this set that there's so much room to be made in pummels, multiple grab hitboxes, and so much more, being able to grab pieces of the stage and swing them around to block attacks and chuck at people. Awesome.

Maybe you like having a lot of options. Maybe you go to all you can eat buffets and complain that there isn't enough variety. Maybe you want to be able to do stall, pressure, force approaches, punish, and anything else you might want to do, and have a couple different ways to do it. And you're probably a fan of having different ways to KO now, aren't you? Well Nappa's got it.

Tutankoopa

So I don't have to tell you all the reasons why we love Tutankoopa. The fact that he's a character who's just as vulnerable to his own summon as the enemy is a pretty unique idea to begin with. He's got a lot of ways to help nudge his Chain Chomp in the direction of his opponent, manipulating it into his own servant.

He's got all sorts of cool stuff he can do, with moves that toe the line between fulfilling immediate roles in combat and a larger role across the match. Every attack has multiple uses, and creates a playstyle that allows Tutankoopa to take multiple approaches to situations.

Perhaps what's really impressive though is how the player evolves with the character. As you learn new ideas and ways to control the Chain Chomp, Tutankoopa grows bolder and more diabloical in how he behaves, using all sorts of tricks to make his pet behave. It's a character with plenty of fun to be had at low levels of play while being very rewarding at high levels.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
Kaptain K. Rool

This set should need no introduction, being one of this contest's early front-runners and the cause of much controversy over what the acceptable bounds were for changing the typical function of an input in movesets. BKupa666 takes the whacky alter ego of a well know villains and makes him not into the expected heavyweight brawler but into a trap laying projectile camper with a shield-breaking focus. Not only does he have projectiles that do good damage to shields, but he even has one that freezes them with their shield out, having their own shield drain assist him in breaking it. He also has traps to be used in the air as well as the typical mist/smoke to hide them in, but what makes it unique is the fact the mist also propagates the traps to a wider area as well as that the traps are relatively non-damaging and merely set up for additional projectile barrages. Overall the set takes concepts previously thought old-hat and puts a fresh creative spin on them while taking chances and trying new things with usually tacked-on inputs. Definitely still a front-runner of the contest in my book.

Jack Frost

Jack Frost by wrk is a set that does a very good job of capturing the essence of a crazed prankster snow demon. The set revolves around the creation and consumption of snowflakes that damage the opponent slightly on contact and grant Jack additional jumps in the air, allowing him to jump about in his artificial blizzard with much more mobility than his opponent. The best thing about the snowflakes is that they are passively by dashing and jumping, as well as actively through a variety of attacks and projectiles. I usually try to envision myself as playing the character as reading the set, and the thought of jumping around, using my own snowflakes as impromptu platforms and irritating the opponent to death with the massive buildup of damaging snowflakes around them as incredibly fun. And that's what we want most out of our characters in a game, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom