• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Make Your Move 3.0: It's over, it's done, moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
I've gotten up to the 'moveset' section of my Garland, with lengthy background and style of play sections completed, as well as statistics, which took a few minutes. I should be able to complete it and a character or two more for MYM4. Is there any process I should go through to put forward my ideas for the MYM4 OP, or do I just post them in the thread?
I hope you don't mean that your moveset (or anyone else's) moveset would go in the OP. Because it won't.

But if you mean that you want to share some ideas for MYM4, just PM me, SirKibble, or MasterWarlord for now, and we'll get back to you.

D

Deleted member

I hope you don't mean that your moveset (or anyone else's) moveset would go in the OP. Because it won't.

But if you mean that you want to share some ideas for MYM4, just PM me, SirKibble, or MasterWarlord for now, and we'll get back to you.
I phrased what I was trying to say badly. :laugh:

Thanks, I'll just post it in the thread then. I haven't written a playstyle section before, so if any of you guys would be willing to comment on it and give me any advice on where to, if needed, shorten, expand or elaborate on something, I'd be grateful.

Garland is the last Terran left alive, after an untold catastrophe creates cause for the others to hide in sleep. He has access to a myriad of spells and is powerful enough to hypothesize with. He shares many traits with the stereotypical black mage of the Final Fantasy game series. Through the course of the game, he shows off his supreme mental and telekinetic abilities, both in battle as well as when dealing with other characters. These all were major factors in creating this moveset.

Garland plays like a hybrid of Mewtwo [Melee] and Lucario [Brawl], due to his reliance on close-range, situational moves and highly-prioritized projectile game. Contrasting to the aforementioned characters, he is quite a heavy character because of his armour, but bears more similarities in his humanoid form and well-built figure. Quite a slow figure, Garland handles akin to Ganondorf [Brawl] in this way. In the air, his almost finicky moves show their wear, as opponents easily dodge or move from Garland's range. Speaking of range, Garland's array of moves are unpredictable and vary widely, from slow traps to feigned attacks that can lead to punishment. To summarise: Garland's playstyle is cat-and-mouse, leading and best opposed with nitpicking strategies, unless the opponent is of equal power and stature. Garland is at his greatest advantage when against slow or floaty characters.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
Garland seems to have an interesting and well written play style from as far as what I can see. Looks great so far, not a bad preview if I do say so myself, and I haven't got a flippin clue who the character is.

However, not everything is happy happy joy joy here though. How can you know his play style before you write his moveset? You said you were just ready to get into the individual moves. When you start trying to create creative interesting moves, they often don't match up with your original vision of their play style, the character's play style writing itself somewhat as you make the moves. Be prepared to edit this as you make Garland's moveset.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
However, not everything is happy happy joy joy here though. How can you know his play style before you write his moveset? You said you were just ready to get into the individual moves. When you start trying to create creative interesting moves, they often don't match up with your original vision of their play style, the character's play style writing itself somewhat as you make the moves. Be prepared to edit this as you make Garland's moveset.
*echo*

Yeah this happened a few times to me. Originally Dracula was going to be super-floaty and speedy, and all about ranged attacks. But he ended up as a slow, tank of a character. Bill & Lance were similarly going to be an only long-range fighter, but ended up only having one projectile.

D

Deleted member

Rookie mistake by rookie playstyle creator, I suppose, but I don't see Garland budging very much from my planned playstyle. Thanks for pointing out the obvious, you two. :)

D

Deleted member

Btw Mendez, i was looking at your Dracula moveset due to boredom, and i wanted to see the "best moveset ever" in the contest.

It's still one of my favourites, but you forgot one thing..............the dash attack.

Also, my new SSE chapter will be posted tomorrow, and maybe i can get a preview of Savyna as well.

Also, can anyone see my avatar? and if you can, what is it?

Edit: Happy late birthday Sonic the Baron :)

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Nope. If you look closely, I make note that Dracula doesn't have a Dash Attack, since he doesn't actually have a dash. He just sort of glides along at a leisurely pace, completely apart from the battle at hand--the petty squabbles of the others are beneath him.

...Also he never actually runs in the games. He usually just teleports around in his human form. Like, seriously, at the end of Order of Ecclesia (the latest Castlevania), during the Dracula fight, he *SPOILERS!*walks*END SPOILERS*, which caused me to lose focus from the shock, and consequently die.

So ha!

Your avatar is Kalas, in his pose on BK's cover.

@STB: Feliz cumpleanos! :bee:

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
Actually, I too tend to think up a play-style beforere I start making the moves, otherwise I have a a hard time thinking up a coherent theme with the move set. I guarentee that I would never have thought up half of Shade's moves if I hadn't had decided from the start that she was going to be about mind games.

That said, I don't actually write the strategy guide section until I finish the actual move set, in case it ends up being much different than what I had in mind, and Gerneral Grievous actually did change somehat in play-style throughout his creation. He was originally supposed to be like the Roy of Brawl (i.e. lot's of disjointed moves but slower and stronger than Marth), but now he's ended up being more of a balanced fighter stats-wised with an empahsis on being able to strke in multiple directions at once with his four arms.

D

Deleted member

.....Are you aloud to even do that in movesets Mendez :ohwell:? That's kinda like saying for my Drake and Josh moveset, "There was no evidence that in the show that gave Drake and Josh a lift into the air. Therefore, they cannot recover."

But hey, at least it stays true to Dracula's character at least. It's still a very very very well done moveset.

Suhweet, custom avatars work now :D. Kalas = Awesome btw.

D

Deleted member

Nah, custom avis don't seem to be working for everyone, myself included. I tried to upload this:

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
.....Are you aloud to even do that in movesets Mendez :ohwell:? That's kinda like saying for my Drake and Josh moveset, "There was no evidence that in the show that gave Drake and Josh a lift into the air. Therefore, they cannot recover."
Well sure, you COULD do that...but that'd really just hurt the character's balance.

Remember that Drac's roll is twice as long as everyone else's, his Ftilt lets him retreat, he has a unique air dodge, he has an excellent recovery, and he can teleport around the stage (sort of) at will. All that together makes up for the lack of a dash, I think.

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Kaptain Skurvy is all mapped out; here is a small preview:

Neutral Special: Blow Ye To Bits!: With an "Argh har har!", Skurvy takes his prized hand kannon out of his belt, and loads it. If you only tap the B Button, he will load it with a simple cannonball. However, if you press and hold the button, he will load it with a wooden barrel. Once the kannon is loaded, Skurvy puts it back in his belt, and can move around freely with it in this manner. Press the B Button again and Skurvy will rapidly take the kannon back out and fire it. Cannonballs fly quickly and horizontally (about the speed of a Peanut Popgun), and deal a light 5-6%. Barrels fly slowly, but deal a more solid 13-15%, and bounce up and down in their flight path. Barrels can be bounced off of by any character for a high jump. Overall, this is a useful move; it has little ending lag (the same as a Charge Shot), can be used to recover, and has the potential to KO a foe with upwards of 115%.

TVTMaster

Smash Apprentice
Okay, done procrastinating. Done with my MYM homework, ma'am. Voldo's reviewed. Check out the sig! This is a simple sentence.

EDIT: And now, Sonic the Baron, BKupa, and MasterWarlord are all using the Darth Vader avatar. Joy.

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
Since when have you been doing reviews, TVT? Geez, now I gotta' link something else up...

@BKupa: ARGH YE DUN SPELL "CANNON" WITH A "K"!!

D

Deleted member

Okay, done procrastinating. Done with my MYM homework, ma'am. Voldo's reviewed. Check out the sig! This is a simple sentence.
Are you effing serious? My Mia beat Warlord's Voldo in score.....:bee:......i am a happy Mia fan now.

@Mendez: Well i guess it does make up for a Dash attack. It just seems kinda imcomplete for me. But whatever.

And speaking of Drake and Josh moveset, my reevaluation on them willz be done tomorrow as well :D.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Since when have you been doing reviews, TVT? Geez, now I gotta' link something else up...
OUTRAGE! What about K. Rool's Rankings? It may not be on its own site, but still!

And Doc of the Squeak Squad has no dash attack also. How would a UFO dash?

Chief Mendez

Smash Master
OUTRAGE! What about K. Rool's Rankings? It may not be on its own site, but still!
It has been done.

And Doc of the Squeak Squad has no dash attack also. How would a UFO dash?
Hyper_Ridley said:
My Omega Ridley doesn't have a dash attack either, also done on purpose.
Ah-hah! The tables have turned, TWILTY (can I call you TWILTY?). :p

D

Deleted member

O rly? Bring it onnnnnnn.

[BatenKaitosattack] I am in the wind, the wind....is in my soul.

Sword style, lord of the wind dash!!! [/Batenkaitosattack]

Yes, go ahead, call me TWILTY, but note that i'm a guy. Calling me by that name.....makes me feel like a girl 0.o.

I also, BTW, made some major changes to Drake's specials. Using this to avoid spam :p

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Going along with my Bonkers moveset in 4, I also plan on making Marx and possibly Masked Dedede. Just tossing that out there.

Note: I accidentaly posted this in the Tier List Thread XD

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
My Voldo moveset? Lowered to a moveset of a common peasant such as Twilthero? BLASPHEMEY!

I just looked back at it after reading your review. . .And holy crap. It's so horribly under detailed compared to what I can do now. The aerials make me want to vomit. The moveset is bloody hideous.

I'd love it if you made Masked Dedede, Blitzkrieg.

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
Those all sound awesome, Blitzkrieg. Good to see I'm not the only one who's been obsessed with Kirby Super Star Ultra as of late. MUST... MAKE... TAC...

I LOVED Voldo. Looking back now, it does have pathetically little detail, but back then (a month ago, was it?) it was almost unheard of. And I liked the concepts soooo much.

Well, back to beating Helper to Hero.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Those all sound awesome, Blitzkrieg. Good to see I'm not the only one who's been obsessed with Kirby Super Star Ultra as of late. MUST... MAKE... TAC...
You do that. We can make an SSE with a whole bunch of Kirby characters :3

And if I WERE to do another helper besides Bonkers, it would have to be J2 or Birdon.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
That's the idea. I'm looking forward to more Kirby movesets for what could possibly end up being an all Kirby chapter for my SSE. Kirby, Meta Knight, Dedede, Masked Dedede as an alt form, Kibble's Kirby helpers, Bonkers, Marx, Wheelie, TAC. . .The works. Sounds like a sweet chapter. I might also include Powers Kirby as an alt form for Kirby seeing as it wasn't in any SSEs in 3.0.

I know you're a Crash Fan too, Blitzkrieg, would you mind making Crash himself in mym 4 eventually so Cortex can have his nemesis in my SSE? I might've done him, but I'm all about the villians.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I know you're a Crash Fan too, Blitzkrieg, would you mind making Crash himself in mym 4 eventually so Cortex can have his nemesis in my SSE? I might've done him, but I'm all about the villians.
See, that's the thing. I hate making movesets for the heroes of games. The villains are always way cooler.

Chris Lionheart

Smash Champion
Is that your ego showing again MW?

Please, don't bash TWIL... he is definitely above the standard.

And @Mendez and every other non-dash attack moveset owner

Can't you atleast add a unique mechanic in the place of dashing/dash attacking?

Just "floating" instead of dashing doesn't really sound like a mechanic to me.

Look at Algol in SCIV, he floats rather than walking and dashing, yet he still has a dash attack.

Shadow5567

Smash Journeyman
In video games at least, I mean, when it comes to anime, what villian was cooler than Mugen from Champloo, or Spike from Bebop, and who on Earth is cooler than Tom v.3 from Toonami?

KingK.Rool

Smash Lord
See, that's the thing. I hate making movesets for the heroes of games. The villains are always way cooler.
Hellz yeah. Heroes are usually bland and one-dimensional. Magikoopa could wipe the floor with Mario any day.

And don't even get me started on Kirby vs. all the Kirby bad guys.

EDIT: And as for Dash mechanics, Doc has two quasi-dash attacks in his Forward Tilt and Forward Smash. And you can move during their duration, backwards and forwards. So ha.

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
I was being sarcastic with that statement. I can see that my Voldo moveset is horrendously bad, only average at this point, if not below it. I haven't read Mia, but I'd still say twilthero's Leonardo was better then Voldo. It just raised the standard at the time it came out, whih is way it got the praise it did. It was a major part of the detail movement alongside Dracula.

I fully accept your explanation, Blitzkrieg, but it's still a shame. Feel like making one for anyone else from the series? Perhaps just revising your Dingodile from mym 2.0?

And I'm not making Algol or Hilde because I haven't played Soul Calibur 4 due to not owning a 360 or PS3, and I probably won't for a long time until the price of the console drops. If I do anyone else from Soul Calibur, it's Zasalamel.

TVTMaster

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I'm claiming my MYM 4 movesets now, I guess.

Calill
Gonna have fire spells and knife swipes, as well as using magic to enchant melee attacks. I was kind of thinking along the lines of Dracula's distance game, with long-range moves and less close-combat. Then again, the knife mechanics may interfere with this... I dunno yet.

Renault
Staff attacks and tons of durability. A heavy with slow, weak melee moves that have tons of range and priority. Using those moves to keep opponents at bay for devastating specials will be his central idea.

Lethe
A transforming character that has a one-minute humanshape, two minutes laguz form cycle- kind of like the PT except without moves decaying the time. In exchange, the human form is very weak and has very few moves available.

Lord Crump and X-Nauts
Crump takes to the field with a pair of loyal X-Nauts. Unlike the ICs, they don't have seperate programming or whatever, but function as one character that happens to have a weird hitbox. "Team" moves will be used with great abandon.

Grace (EGS)
For this one I'm just using the squirrel form, but I'm still going to have some awesome moves for this- it's a looser fighting style not really seen in Brawl, with many aerials changing depending on the part of the jump you're in, as well as a Btilt. Expect extras galore for this one.

Galaxy Man
Gonna use Black Hole Bomb and his UFO form in jumps and recovery for this one. Maybe even include some of those enemy UFO dealies, too. He's got a shallow movepool, but I think a combination of Ganon's dark energy for melee attacks and extrapolation of the character's potential abilities and such.
Dropping Renault for... Bubs! That's right, the guy who runs ye olde concession stand! That isn't really ye olde at all! "Bubs would give away flamethrowers! That shoot chocolate hundred dollar billllls!" And utilizing the Thnikkaman for his recovery in grabbing hold of the scrolling words. "You just lost a KO on the Thnikkaman!" "You just gimped the Thnikkaman!" "You just got hit by the Thnikkaman!" for various parts of the animation. This is sounding pretty good. Dancing moves, an FS utilizing a ton of crap from the invulnerable haven of his concession stand, and stuff!

Or maybe he'll just me a joke moveset, I have my eye on something much bigger: Strong Mad! A heavy specializing in fighting other heavies and countering aerial opponents, he'll have tons of range and power on his moves, with suprisingly fast animations for a lot of them. This will be balanced by very slow movement speed and a terrible air game. With... wait. That's just DDD + Ganon. Gah, I want to do a Homestar Runner moveset but I don't know what! Has anyone done Homestar or a non-shapeshifter Strong Bad?

Shadow5567

Smash Journeyman
I was being sarcastic with that statement. I can see that my Voldo moveset is horrendously bad, only average at this point, if not below it. I haven't read Mia, but I'd still say twilthero's Leonardo was better then Voldo. It just raised the standard at the time it came out, whih is way it got the praise it did. It was a major part of the detail movement alongside Dracula.

I fully accept your explanation, Blitzkrieg, but it's still a shame. Feel like making one for anyone else from the series? Perhaps just revising your Dingodile from mym 2.0?

And I'm not making Algol or Hilde because I haven't played Soul Calibur 4 due to not owning a 360 or PS3, and I probably won't for a long time until the price of the console drops. If I do anyone else from Soul Calibur, it's Zasalamel.
What!? No Tira!? Oh.....you werent here for that convo......anyway, why no Tira, shed make an awesome multi moveset!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom