• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Mah0ne's Stuff about Puff

Gea

Smash Master
Yeah that's what I've been thinking, but I guess I'm doing it too late actually.
When you practice, try it against a bunch of CPU ICs so the timing is always varied. It is really easy to get into a rhythm with faster falling characters but slower ones actually take that pause which gets people. Consider your puff training a way to make your cancels better across the board with everyone.

And Bones suggested multiple triggers because there is no punishment for basically spamming L-cancel. I personally feel like that's instilling at bad habit, but whatever. Just lab a bit every day for 15 minutes or so and you'll get it down quickly.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I've done that. I figured Falco is actually much easier than I thought and his movement feels much more fluent than Puffs. I'll try the ICs method, sounds nice.
Oh and btw what would be the best way to confirm an Lcancel?

Gea

Smash Master
There are a few ways. Ideally, you should visually be able to see a difference in the animation. However, you can also do stuff like hold it and see when your shield comes up or when you can jab/dash/grab afterward. If you get an l-cancel your shield will come out faster/ you can move sooner. The latter takes more effort but will help you be faster doing actions out of aerials anyways if you can use that to practice.

These may be tougher for puff than say, Ganon's visuals or using shine as an indicator, but they are still very doable with puff.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah but Nair most of the time autocancels anyways. The tough one for me is bair for some reason. And of course dair, it's like the hardest move in the game to Lcancel.
Uair doesn't give me any trouble though. So confusing.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Yeah all of her aerials have huge differences in their timings. I don't really have issues l-cancelling anything other than dair but fastfalling a fair after hitstun messes me up a lot and if its a weak hit I get super punished.

idea

Smash Master
bair is kind of weird 'cause you want to time it to let the longest part of the hitbox come out before you hit the ground AND l-cancel in relation to that AND you may or may not be fastfalling.

on a side note, when i first started taking falco seriously, weon-x pointed out that i was doing a lot of my aerials as soon as i jumped...now i usually do them in the middle or near the end based on the situation. so it's actually gotten easier to time aerials with jiggs 'cause doing that with two characters = a whole range of timings = i'm more trained to pay attention to it.

actually i find the best character for practicing this stuff is falcon. because he looks so much cooler if you do it right :p

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I've been practicing Falcon and Falco just for the techskill but it seems to have only made Puff feel awkward for me. I'll get to play tomorrow so I'll see how I do.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Is this directed at me? I don't get it.
Yes. Most people click L/R in all the way to L-cancel (like for a hard shield), but you only have to press it in enough to register a light shield. I have been learning to do it lightly so I don't waste my techs, and forcing yourself to do this will make you focus more on the timing, thus making you land more L-cancels. As far as double tapping, that's just because you can spam L-cancels unlike techs or meteor cancels. I have never recommended it before and probably wouldn't to most people, but if you are missing L-cancels after 2 years you honestly might just be bad at timing things like that. *shrug* I think Puff is slow enough that double tapping won't really mess you up, unlike trying to do it with spacies where you already have to do inputs as you land that feel like they require 8 hands. So yeah, just try double tapping L/R or something like L, then a split-second later R. I have been wanting to try this myself to see if it actually has any merit. Virtually never missing L-cancels would be great, but I feel like it would cause accidental shielding upon landing a lot of the time, idk.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I learned WD with double taps and your right I did shield immediately after. Thanks to that I learned WD OoS with one trigger and dropped the double tap before it became a habit. It's like training wheels but I wouldn't use it all the time, waste techs, shields..i unno everything leads to punishment.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Oh it's not that I haven't learned to Lcancel in 2 years with Puff, it's just that I haven't realized before I'm missing them a lot. It's not that easy to notice when you don't know what you are doing. And anyways those 2 years I haven't been playing much, like once a month probably. Trying to get more serious now so the last 2 years shouldn't matter. Didn't even know light input was enough for an Lcancel.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I'm a bad guy and will double post. I got my techskill down. No more worries. Now the next question is, how do I get my opponents to flip when I dair them? It seems to be pretty random and when they don't flip I get punished pretty bad.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
Aim low, short hops best instead of coming down on their head. usually happens 40%+ but I'm not sure with weight factors for each character. The real problem is how do you shffl a dair against a fox? I don't see any openings when I play.

Edit: I think someone here said once to aim for their feet since it'll flip them and give you time to lcancel before they finish the animation.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I think Mahone told me you have to land after the next to last hit. When I was practicing it the other day, that seemed like the case. There's a thread that explains it really in depth.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
All right thanks. I'll try to find the thread. Oh and by the way, if they don't flip, is it impossible to combo into anything?

Tekk

Smash Lord
I think I got some stuff recorded this week-end at HFL4 (at least my set vs Ice was).
Mahone I'm gonna need your fine critique talents just like ol' times !

Tekk

Smash Lord
Ice pretty much ***** me, except for 1 match or 2 haha.
I wish one of my sets vs Adam was recorded though.

Anyway I'm active again, woohoo !

-LzR-

Smash Hero
It seems we became active again at the same time huh? Time for some European Puff pride.

Bones0

Smash Legend
I want some double Puff teams matches.

Someone should remix LMFAO's "Shots" song to say "REST, REST, REST, REST-REST..." and then sync a video of rests to it. :O

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Yeah I've been practicing that as well. It's especially easy to pull off on Peach. It's when to dair that gives me the trouble.

Tekk

Smash Lord
Who did Ice go?

I'm guessing it'll be uploaded on the main french melee channel...in which case, already subscribed
Fox
I made a mistake tho, I didn't get anything recorded LOL, it's like a curse I swear.
Next tournament then. -_-

Top Bottom