• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

M2K stuff about Marth (big update first post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
It took me a while to get readjusted to, but Marth's counter is insane now. The counter was one of the reasons I mained him in SSBM, but now it is practically broken, especially with the downgraded throws. One thing I noticed can fake people with Marth is, jump or double jump do a bair away from your opponent, and then as your coming down in a fall (do a fast fall if you use a double jump) and bair again towards the opponent. More research is needed though.

Xzax Kasrani

Smash Master
that lol'd me. marth is just insaine to people that suck lolololol. people think marth is soo good. yea he ***** again but other characters are good and ****. Meh if you have mindgames and dont john and u can wall tech and ground tech you should be fine

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
I think that marth is top tier material, but since he has no projectile and is sorta floaty, he probably won't be the best. I main Marth since melee and I do feel that he has become better with the super good dolphin slash but a camper like fox falco and pit can rack up damage easy with rapid fire projectiles that marth is almost helpess with just a counter and an air dodge against them (nair works if the are same priority beacuse marth high aerial priority). Nobody should say that any one is best until the tier list comes out and brawl is much more equal so there will be a 4-6 character top tier probably

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Yeah the tiers are a lot narrow in Brawl. As for the camping with Fox, Falco, and Pit, you can be at a disadvantage on Final Destination. It makes playing against those characters much easier when playing on Battlefield.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
You are completely right TKD+ITA+Mar=, final destination is probably marth neutral worst stage because he has no platform to help him, battlefield and yoshi's island and lylat cruise (i think those all will be neutral stages in tournamnets) allow marth to use the platforms to escape campers and can let marth rack up damage on other on platforms with his up tilt which was nerfed but still useful

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Yeah Final Destination is even worse for characters like Wario, Donkey Kong, and Ganondorf. I think it should probably be a counter-pick in some situations.

WaffleJesse

Smash Cadet
I've been reading the topic for quite a while and i've come to an understanding that know your mad about Marth being not overpowered in brawl? It really all comes down to what ever this pro said your going to stick up for. Not only that but you think your going to get all these advanced moves spoon-fed to you? Oh hell no you should find it out your **** self. And if you don't like it go back to your **** Marth/Falco combo in melee, ok?

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Personally, I disagree about what you think I am thinking. I am not angry that he is not overpowered in Brawl. This is because it allows a greater deal of diversity in tournaments, although it comes at the expense of my main. But as for me quoting Gimpyfish, I did that because someone said that people who think Marth is great, suck (or at least that the impression I got). I was merely trying to back up my argument with evidence. I started maining in Marth years ago. I am curious what made you think that I expected to get moves spoon fed to me though. Well, I suppose it was just a misunderstanding, something that unfortunately happens way to easily on the internet.

(By the way Hizzlum, that is an awesome avatar, kudos to you)

WaffleJesse

Smash Cadet
Ok your one of the Marth mains that see what I see, more variety in tourneys. But as I have said before 'MOST' of the people on this thread are pissed because Brawl is gayer than melee, (which I believe is bull.) Even a person said that they were pissed because Kirby was as good as Marth. It seems like 'MOST' people miss their over powered Marth.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Oh I see, that was a misunderstanding on my part then. I guess I assumed that because you posted below me, you were referring to me, and consequently I got defensive. Sorry about that.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
Mess with his hitboxes.

Then get back to me.

ROB...eh..he is weak as hell that is true, but his tilts have great range, they outrange Marth. His cmaping isn't that serious, but his laser is nice. He can't kill for **** though. Good edgeguarding though.

Zelda...pshhh..**** fair and bair. That's just icing on the cake. You need to look at...uhhhh EVERYTHING ELSE. D-tilt trips about 90% of the time and even when it doesn't it puts her enemy into crumple stun so she gets a free u-smash. F-tilt has good range. Naryu's love is a good defensive move. D-smash is way better. Faster and stronger. U-smash is crazy strong and with high knockback. Uair is stupid strong as well. Honestly she is just too strong with easy combo strings and d-tilt sets up for u-smash at any percent and it's very very hard to get out of. You only have a few frames to actually get away at higher percents. The d-tilt will pop you up at higher percents, which sets up for the U-smash. The d-tilt can be DIed but its tough.

Also Din's Fire is stupid now. Huge blast radiius when held for the longest time. Alot of knockback too. Thanks to this move she laughs at stale move negation.
ya, ok, finally got around to playing Snake myself, since no one around me does...looked at the guides and the ranges on his attacks...a tad broken:)

thanks for the advice on zelda too, at least now i know what she can do if i ever get to play against a zelda main...I hate that with rob i can't do anything about the laser..in general i try to bait him into using it into my shield..but if i'm attacking and he fires, generally most of the time i will get caught and be unable to shield/air dodge on reaction fast enough.

Rob's tilts outrange all of marth's moves? dtilt and ftilt too? I though it was about even, but i don't really remember...that matchup has gotten a lot harder for me because of my friend getting better at avoiding edgeguarding with rob.

In general if you are recovering as rob, do you prefer to guard yourself with nair or fair? i guess i would use fair normally..but if i'm trying to hit them instead of airdodging i find that i risk the nair a lot for the chance of killing the opponent...is it worth using? i'm not sure how good the range on rob's nair is.

One of my friends plays rob, but i'm still garbage with him and could use some advice.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Honestly I don't sweat ROB too much. You can rush him with a d-tilt and get away safely or do a SH fair then DI away if he shields and be ok.

Try approaching while walking and watch ROB's movement carefully so you can react when he tries to do anything.

I usually edgeguard with Fair, unless I know the Nair will tip and kill.

His tilts barely outrange Marth. Nothing too serious. Just something to keep in my mind.

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
m2k y dont u try forward b till it reaches the second last hit and do a dolphin slash by doing a rly fast pivot or shield and up b?
i cant try it cuz i only play brawl on weekends with cuzins cuz i live in the eu:(
i also believ that dair is still not that bad cuz i did 2ice wen i played my first match but i was playing noobs:)
someone try the technique pls and it will be called Doodx combo lol

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
question: what part of marth's sword in the dolphin slash off the edge to do the edgeguard that sends them flying. I am not talking about the revesre up b
I'm guessing at the base where the attack begins... but hitting the edge of the sword is powerful enough anyways.

Try doing the Dolphin Slash in the practice mode and turn on the helper to find out how to use it most effectively

Doodx

Smash Journeyman
m2k y dont u try forward b till it reaches the second last hit and do a dolphin slash by doing a rly fast pivot or shield and up b?
i cant try it cuz i only play brawl on weekends with cuzins cuz i live in the eu:(
i also believ that dair is still not that bad cuz i did 2ice wen i played my first match but i was playing noobs:)
did anyone try it?

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
No the hit stun of marth ForwardB is too short.

Anyone could share tips on gimping Fox/Falco sideB.I know useing marths upB hits them and his downtilt aswell but what attack send them at a better angle to edge guard them at,also which attack is better at lower dmgs.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Hey I have been maining Marth for a few years now, but just more recently he has gotten a tad stale. I would prefer not to switch mains (****** people with his counter is just way to fun) and I don't have a secondary. Does anyone have any suggestions to make him feel fresh again?

On a side note I found some fast combos using his A attacks, dtilt to neutral is very fast, and from there you can do another neutral, a utilt, fsmash, or maybe even some thing like shield breaker, dancing blade, or dolphin slash.

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
I couldn't give you percentages but his killing moves are:

- shield breaker
- all smashes
- fair and bair sometimes dair, uair, and nair
- sweet spotted dolphin slash
- sometimes counter
- sometimes dancing blade

Marths racks up kills really well during edge-guarding, so most of the moves listed above are used as set-ups to get characters off the stage.

Nica K.O

Smash Cadet
idk if its been discussed but how would marth go about playing against olimar..those pikmin get so annoying its hard for me to get in

SLAYERCoLdKiLr

Smash Journeyman
M2k I fully support Everything you've said so far, but can you give me like...a gist of the tier list right now as you see it. I just wanna get an aspect of how you rank marth and people above and below him. Like a Top Tier and a High tier and thats it.

Also, I didn't know if you covered this or not, but how would you rank marth against Lucario?

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
M2k I fully support Everything you've said so far, but can you give me like...a gist of the tier list right now as you see it. I just wanna get an aspect of how you rank marth and people above and below him. Like a Top Tier and a High tier and thats it.
Iam not m2k but i can help.

I think marth is toptier mainly because it hard to find a for him counterpick but he is easly
counterpick for most characthers in ther game.

for

1.Metakight
2.Ness
3.Ike
4.Marth(lol)

these characther i think give marth the most problems.

Kneeslash

Smash Cadet
Dancing blade has definitely helped me along the road, because most of my opponents pray they can get out of it and counter attack. My only problem is against characters like diddy with his bananas and lucas' PK fire attack. But I will try up b out of a shield when i roll past the attacks.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
idk if its been discussed but how would marth go about playing against olimar..those pikmin get so annoying its hard for me to get in
For me Olimar could be the easiet character to kill in brawl with a very simple strategy.
*Fsmash the off the main platform
*Wait till they use their second jump and fair him so that he is not at all close to the main platofrm
*Grab the edge and watch him slowly fall after using his terrible recovery

this at times may not work, but I four stock lvl 9 cpu's and firends with that stargety

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Other things I would like to add to the post above would be:

- many of Olimar's attacks can be stopped by jabs

- Olimar has trouble dealing with diagonals, so SH fairing is a very safe and effective approach

- Dancing Blade can be an alternate way of getting Olimar off the stage

- If all else fails, pitch a tent and camp in his face
-- If you are unsure how to this, go to the thread labeled Marth Strategy guide by Emblem Lord

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Metaknight vs marth is the most even fight in brawl. Both of them are top tier characters for diffrent reasons. To beat a MK, put the pressure on him instead of letting the MK do what it does best, high pressure play. Put him on the defensive with some c stck smashes, and if you tipper, you can get kills at 80% if they dont DI well

TKD+ITA+Mar=

Smash Ace
Emblem Lord is pretty knowledgeable for strategies against Meta Knight, so if you are looking for something extremely detailed you should ask him, but here are some some strategies against Meta Knight:

- play defensively, camp if you have to

-SH fairing is always a good idea

- if he approaches with aerials, countering will make him think twice, if he goes in for a grab use your jab

- If he is off the stage and is close to the edge, jump off use a sweet spotted dolphin slash on him, then use your limited DI to get on the edge or stage. If you just try to fair him, if he doesn't hit the side, then he will very likely make it up again and possibly gimp you. But if he is at high percent fairing is totally acceptable to fair, or if he's relatively close.

- If you get knocked off and he tries to hit you with an aerial, just counter him

I am not one hundred percent certain with Dedede, but here is some strategies:

- since he's a big target, sh fair or nair works very well

- keep your range to avoid being chain grabbed

- if he goes off the stage use you fair like normal, he is an easy character to spike also.

- your dancing blade is effective against his bad mobility

- if he uses his up-b to get back on the stage, go under him and counter. He will catch on eventually and cancel the downward attack when he lands, but that's where you can punish him with the move of your choice.

Terranrox

Smash Journeyman
Gaaahhh! I thought that information was secret!! We Meta Knight players are RUINED! RUINED I SAY!!

yeah just kidding... I main as both Meta Knight and Marth (Boo no double icons)

That Anti-Meta Knight strategy really does help my Marth and I appreciate that but my Meta Knight side twitching and I have to say a few counter points:

1. What we were smart Meta Knight players who knows how Marth's counter works and we understand when and how you Marth use the move and we can wait/ grab/ or cancel our attack when we know its coming

2. We have our own high priority fairs so woudn't we just clash?

3. Dashing shield grab would do the trick

4. There is very low chance of that happening against an experienced Meta Knight user. We not only have multi jumps but two glides (2nd glide helps you go higher), a dimensional edge game, a uber high priority mach tornado that is indeed easily controllable with experience, and a drill rush (I woudnt use it though I really dont like it compared to the others)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom