• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lyn (Fire Emblem) Discussion Thread

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
I've played and beat the game she was in. I also played all of the other Fire Emblem games. There's a sh-tload of characters in the whole **** series if you actually count them up, most being way more unique than Lyn. I'd say that, yes, she is a really random character from the whole series.
You right about Fire Emblem having alot of characters but your leaving out the only characters that matter. The Lords. So really counting up every single character and matching them up against a lord in importance they're going to fail. I happen to find Lyndis to be very unique; however being unique is in the eye of the beholded who the hell are you to tell me otherwise. If she's so random why on earth does she have such a large amount of support (outside of Japan) why not support someone like Natasha the cleric from FE8 now that's random.

A lot of them. Smash shouldn't be filled with random Fire Emblem characters. Expand your library a bit and look at all Nintendo's series, Japan only or not (if you are biased against Japan only characters, you are a sh-thead), and you'd actually see how much of a sh-t character Lyn would be.

What is your definiton of "random"? you haven't explained it from your point of view very clearly. Most of the FE character suggestions have been of character that were important to there respective games. I mean if a main character is no longer important to their games heaven forbid...(I'm talking about the FE series as a whole). I'm not bias against JPN only character so I have no idea why you'd even assume that unless your a sh-thead yourself. Sure I will say that having the poll only in Japan was a bit unfair and only having the Nsider boards as a voice of the U.S opinion.

I've played them all pretty much. If you think Lyn is the deserving FE character, you haven't played a FE game at all.
I guess you haven't played FE7 (or read the storyline) Lyndis has has alot of deserving features that could of made her a very good character.

-Knight

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Brawl needs more females, and what better way to add one than with Lyn. She's the first female FE lord so it fits the whole "main character/first character" theme that Brawl seems to have. (As in you see Bowser and Donkey Kong as characters instead of like Wart or Smithy.)
Yeah, but we already have enough FE sword characters. Despite Lyn having a lot of potential (I honestly can agree, she would be a great character) to be a very swift and katana-using-like character, before her I'd rather someone like Takamaru in terms of a swift katana-using-like character. He's simply the main character of his own game and is an actual samurai. He would be a lot more important to the roster in Brawl than Lyn.

Like I said, though, save characters like Lyn for the sequel when we have all the more necessary characters in. After that, we could explore the potential of other characters like her.
Kirby knight said:
What is your definiton of "random"? you haven't explained it from your point of view very clearly. Most of the FE character suggestions have been of character that were important to there respective games. I mean if a main character is no longer important to their games heaven forbid...(I'm talking about the FE series as a whole).
I've already said, combining every main character from the series into, say, a list, you'd see just how random she is. She may have an importance to the story in her own game, but so does all of the other characters.
Kirby knight said:
I'm not bias against JPN only character so I have no idea why you'd even assume that unless your a sh-thead yourself.
I was referring to as a whole. Like Caael, who's really biased towards Japan-only characters despite them being completely original and needed.
Kirby knight said:
I guess you haven't played FE7 (or read the storyline) Lyndis has has alot of deserving features that could of made her a very good character.
I have played FE7, and I know Lyn is a great character. Just not for Brawl.

PIT_IS_BACK

Smash Journeyman
I find it funny, how people are saying that Lyn didnt get in cause shes not popular in Japan, but at the SAME time.....they are saying how popular Japan Only characters dont have a chance.....

lol contradiction.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Only having Ike is enough IMO.

Seriously, we don't need more Fire Emblem characters.
Why is only having Ike enough in your opinion? Why don't we need more Fire Emblem characters? Why couldn't someone like Mikaya be in brawl? She's a female light mage and lord (main character) of the upcoming FE10. Would a completely unique character from the FE series be a bad idea?

-Knight

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
Wow. This MAY be the most ignorant overreaction I've ever seen on the forum.
They're coming close, anyway. I still think the one I saw from someone about ZSS requiring items meaning "I IN NO WAY TRUST SAKURAI" (was that even factually accurate? Do we know? Re: ZSS access) still takes the top prize, but, yeah.

Yeah, I admit I started drinking from a gas-station's fuel pumps* after the Lyn AT post. But once I regained consciousness**, I told myself "You know...you're still psyched about Ike, Pit, Link, and Zelda. And have about 2 or 3 more characters beyond them that you're interested in. All this did was take Brawl's playable roster from 'Perfect', and make it just 'Very Good.' You've paid $55 for Very Good before. You may as well do it again and hope for Lyn to be added as playable via a roster update patch or something."

So that's what I did. I'm still excited for Brawl. Lyn as an AT was a genuine disappointment since I wanted her to be playable, but I can live with it. Brawl still has my pre-order in good standing.

*: I didn't actually start drinking from a gas station pump. It just sounds more Emo LJ Melodramatic that way.

**: Likewise, I regained consciousness in my bed rather than in a gas station parking lot.

Smash Ace
Like I said, though, save characters like Lyn for the sequel...
the sequel...
those words give me hopes of a Smash bros. like nothing other. something far bewyond leagues of Brawl and...

oh right, Lyn.
it makes me wonder how many FE charcters will show up. as a whole, the characters in teh series are generally cool.

a general rule of thumb: any series where blue, green, pink, or purple hair is natural (except anime shows) is cool by me.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Boo Mansion
I think Lyn deserves being an actual character
Sakurai must not think so.

Boo Mansion
That's got to count for something.
Apparently not...

red stone
this is by far the most disappointing decomfirmation for me
Nah, the most disappointing disconfirmation was Goldeen.

Boo Mansion
Brawl needs more females, and what better way to add one than with Lyn.
Krystal, Midna, Dixie Kong, Daisy... Lyn's not the only female Nintendo character, in case you didn't know.

I don't see why people think that there will be a butt load of Fire Emblem characters. It'll probably just be Marth and Ike. FE isn't as big as Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. It doesn't need a whole bunch of characters. I could see them possibly having 3 FE characters, but I think that it's unlikely.

Fawriel

Smash Master
Yeah, but we already have enough FE sword characters. Despite Lyn having a lot of potential (I honestly can agree, she would be a great character) to be a very swift and katana-using-like character, before her I'd rather someone like Takamaru in terms of a swift katana-using-like character. He's simply the main character of his own game and is an actual samurai. He would be a lot more important to the roster in Brawl than Lyn.
[...]
I have played FE7, and I know Lyn is a great character. Just not for Brawl.
If you think that way, don't go around calling her a "sh-tty" character. Doing so will only unnecessarily infuriate people.

In fact, while I'm at it, stop calling things "sh-t". The way you overuse that word gets annoying.

Smash Ace
Sakurai must not think so.

Apparently not...

Nah, the most disappointing disconfirmation was Goldeen.

Krystal, Midna, Dixie Kong, Daisy... Lyn's not the only female Nintendo character, in case you didn't know.

I don't see why people think that there will be a butt load of Fire Emblem characters. It'll probably just be Marth and Ike. FE isn't as big as Zelda, Mario, Donkey Kong, and Pokemon. It doesn't need a whole bunch of characters. I could see them possibly having 3 FE characters, but I think that it's unlikely.
Dixie Kong & daisy= ppointless clones.
good thoughts on the others though.
I think the most disappointing deconfirmation was Toad! (not)

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
If you think that way, don't go around calling her a "sh-tty" character. Doing so will only unnecessarily infuriate people.
Why not? She would be a terrible character for Brawl, of course I'm going to call her a sh-tty character.
In fact, while I'm at it, stop calling things "sh-t". The way you overuse that word gets annoying.
How about you stop whining?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
good thoughts on the others though.
I think the most disappointing deconfirmation was Toad! (not)
In what way would Dixie be a clone???

...If you actually think it's possible you don't know who Dixie is

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord

...If you actually think it's possible you don't know who Dixie is
The only problem with Dixie is that she's destined to have similar actual fighting mechanics as Diddy. The only thing that I could see different is her special moves. But I do think Sakurai could easily overcome that, and I hope she's in Brawl.

Hungry Gamer

Smash Apprentice
This is bull! Lyn is disconfirmed... but meh. I will be happy as long as someone form FE7 is playable. Anybody but Marth! Am I the only one who whould rather see Roy over that *******?

Oldskool

Smash Journeyman
People complaining about her not making it? If people would just think OBJECTIVELY about the situation, we wouldn't have this problem to begin with. I KNEW she would be an assist, you HONESTLY have to look at this from an objective stand point. She is not vital in the game she appeared in, she is not DEMANDED, she does not deserve to take the position of a similar sword fighter who actually starred in a famicom classic game (takamaru). She was assist material, same goes for black knight and Micah or whatever the heck the FE10 girl's name is (Ike has made representation for that scenario of the FE series), they AREN'T playable material.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
I was going to point out that I was merely providing constructive criticism concerning your style, but then I read that you wish for Dixie Kong and lost the ability to take you seriously. Sorry. D=
Dixie Kong would be a great addition. We need more DK characters, honestly, and she would be unique, even if she was like Luigi was to Mario with Diddy.

And I don't have a style. I'm always right, even if you don't think so.

freeman123

Smash Lord
NNID
josephf5
Why is everybody still arguing about whether or not Lyn would make a good character? What's the difference? We already know that she's not playable.

I don't see why people practically riot every time a character is disconfirmed. This makes 2 days in a row. Yesterday people were mad about Munchlax. They can't make every character in the history of video games playable. At least with assist trophies and pokeballs, most characters can at least make some kind of appearance.

I like when they disconfirm characters. It weeds out the crap and makes it that much easier to predict who will make the final roster.

They aren't disconfirmed yet. Lyn is!

PsychoIncarnate
She wouldn't, that guy's just repeating what he's heard from other people who also didn't know what they were talking about.

Hungry Gamer
Anybody but Marth! Am I the only one who whould rather see Roy over that *******?
Yeah, probably.

Fawriel
I was going to point out that I was merely providing constructive criticism concerning your style, but then I read that you wish for Dixie Kong and lost the ability to take you seriously. Sorry. D=
Aren't you the guy who wants Gardevoir to be playable?

shanus

Smash Hero
Stop crying. This game thrives on diversity. Sure, the specials might be differnet, but there are only so many ways tilts and smashes will vary and with any more real sword-only characters I doubt you will find much variety in them. we DONT need more clones, even if its to put a female in the game. Rather thn just pushing Fire Emblem, there is a wide variety of very unique female characters as already pointed out. Less qq people, just hope for a nice character update this week as payment.

leefan

Smash Cadet
well, eliwood would just be a roy clone, heck, they are related. it would have been wierd though, if they kept marth and added lyn... three blue chars from FE would be in the game! lol
but that would have been awsome... focus power for ike, technique for marth, and speed for lyn

btw, lyn was a vital character in the game, being a lord and the initial main character. thats why the first part is called "Lyn's Quest"... although it was pointless and really easy to beat, with eliwood's quest being the main gameplay and hector's quest being the replay.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
The thing is, there are two levels to the issue here.

The first thing is that Lyn personally is not going to be in Brawl. And that really sucks, etc. etc.

But there's a second layer to the issue, which is "What's going to become of the FE roster now?"

Everyone says "Oh, Lyn isn't important enough, Marth/Sigurd/Black Knight would be better". But let's look at those three characters, not as part of their respective games, but from a purely Brawl viewpoint. In designing their potential Brawl selves, you start with "he's a guy holding a greatsword", and that's it. There is nothing personal about any of their fighting styles, they have no special abilities, nothing. With Ike having already used a bunch of possible "made up from scratch" greatsword attacks, what's left for these other guys? What potential do they have to be unique and interesting characters in the context of Brawl specifically with Ike already there? Very, very little, if you ask me.

On the other hand, let's look at the exceptions to the stereotypical FE-Lord fighting style. I could easily write several paragraphs talking about Lyn's distinct method of combat and what makes it so unique and interesting. Hector would be the only character in Smash Bros. history to wield an axe, and Ephraim the only spear-wielder. Those three sound like much more diverse fighters than the three I mentioned above if you ask me, but what happens if you bring any of them up? "The GBA games weren't popular in Japan, those other guys should get in instead". But then what will we have? A whole Brawl franchise containing little more than clones of the same character, because everyone is worried more about Japanese fanservice than making Brawl the best game it can be. And wouldn't that be a waste, with so many fun choices available?

Granted, it's not impossible for Hector to still be planned as playable (it could even theoretically be the reason why Lyn is an assist trophy to begin with), but seeing unique and interesting characters written off while everyone is clamoring for the same ol' same ol'...well, it's upsetting.

Shuma

Smash Hero
The Black Knight would be a heavy Swordsman(Heavier than Ike), Marth doesn't use a big sword...

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Bah. Edit button isn't working.

it is pretty logical to me.

did you honestly think they will put her over Eliwood..?
Nobody likes Eliwood. Go to a FE7 board and ask what everyone's favorite of the three lords are. Less than 10% will say Eliwood. His position as "main character" is largely just semantics. All three lords are integral to the story, and Lyn and Hector both have way more personality than Eliwood does, and I wouldn't hesitate to say that they're both stronger in combat too (though pretty much everyone is stronger than Eliwood). It's not like they're his minions; they're his fellow lords. If any of them die, it's game over.

The Black Knight would be a heavy Swordsman(Heavier than Ike), Marth doesn't use a big sword...
First of all, it is my understanding that Ike is already slow and heavy. If all the Black Knight has going for him is "slower and heavier clone", then that isn't anywhere near enough to justify using him in one of the very limited Fire Emblem character slots.

And secondly...Marth doesn't use a big sword?! Have you ever played Super Smash Bros. Melee? In case you haven't noticed, his melee attack range is the longest by a really freaking wide margin.

Shuma

Smash Hero
But the Sword itself is a Rapier, or a slim sword i really don't remember, BK's Sword is a Long Broad Sword, also, although i imagine the BK could be a clone i doubt it. Besides people tend to forget somenthing, who else could work as a FE villain?

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Actually, I think "Marth uses a rapier" turns out to be a fallacy, though I thought so for a while too. He's capable of wielding rapiers, but Falchion isn't one. And regardless, the sword he has in Melee is obviously not a rapier. A rapier is a short, thin sword with no edge used only for thrusting attacks. Marth's sword is really long and used exclusively for slashing. "Greatsword" wasn't the right term, I'm sure, but it's definitely too big to be a longsword.

And who says there has to be an FE villain? Do you think Medusa's going to be playable because of Pit? Is Captain Syrup a shoe-in because Wario is in the game? If the single-player mode calls for a villain, it could easily be a non-playable boss, like a fire dragon or something.

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Honestly, I totally saw this coming from a mile away.

If anyone, its probally going to be another duo of FE characters (boys) such as Hector, Ephiram, BK, etc.
I know she'd be pretty unique, but as explained on her style on the Smash website, she seems a bit Marthish dont you think?

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
Honestly, I totally saw this coming from a mile away.

If anyone, its probally going to be another duo of FE characters (boys) such as Hector, Ephiram, BK, etc.
I know she'd be pretty unique, but as explained on her style on the Smash website, she seems a bit Marthish dont you think?
I highly doubt Ephriam's going to get in as a playable character an AT. at best. At the moment the best contenders imo are. Mikaya, Black Knight, Marth, and maybe Hector.

-Knight

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Actually, looking at Castle Siege, if there are only two FE characters, BK and Micaiah are OUT!

However, should we get confirmation of BK or Micaiah, we are GUARANTEED another FE character.

Either way works for me, I just hope you can accept that.
PS: I'm not going to explain why for the Castle Siege thing, think about it for a minute and you'll get it.

Shuma

Smash Hero
What does Castle Siege has to do with anything? Sakurai say that it wasn't from any particular game.

And who says there has to be an FE villain? Do you think Medusa's going to be playable because of Pit? Is Captain Syrup a shoe-in because Wario is in the game? If the single-player mode calls for a villain, it could easily be a non-playable boss, like a fire dragon or something.
You're might be right, however, the Black Knight shouldn't be a Boss, that's reserved to big ugly monsters, and what gives the Black Knight a mid-high chance is that Ike is in, why? The Black Knight is too important since he is Ike's nemesis, now, i'm pretty sure that the BK will be in, but i doubt it would be a boss, and i doubt he would be an AT, he doesn't seem like AT material. So what's left? a Stycker? Also, FE doesn't NEED a Villain that's true. however, the BK would be relative easy to make, so he could be a PC and 4 is not a bad number for FE characters since FE is so popular now, 3 is the minimun and it's pretty easy to add Ike, BK and Micaiah/Marth.

Besides the Black Knight is more important than Hector and Ephraim, Marth is more important, but... let's face it, he might go.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Dude.....Castle Siege would be from a specific game (Tellius) if there were only FE9/10 characters. That's been discussed plenty of times.
Sakurai said it's not from a specific game...he said it was a generic castle from the fire emblem series

Shuma

Smash Hero
Sakurai on the Dojo said:
It’s an enemy castle in the midst of battle—but it’s not set in a particular castle, nor is it from a particular game in the series.

Blablablait's form a part1cular game. Do your homework.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
F-ck the Black Knight, he isn't needed at all, make room for better characters and just have Marth and Ike as the FE representatives. That's all we need. Smash shouldn't be filled with FE characters.

Top Bottom