• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lyn (Fire Emblem) Discussion Thread

Shuma

Smash Hero
Shut the **** up Groundwalker. I remember you defending Rick about Ridley being a boss, so yeah.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord
F-ck the Black Knight, he isn't needed at all, make room for better characters and just have Marth and Ike as the FE representatives. That's all we need. Smash shouldn't be filled with FE characters.
The words "needed" and "better" are very subjective and really don't describe the inclusion of FE characters very well.

Tell me what characters are needed in Brawl? Tell me which character are "better" than Fire Emblem characters.

You seem very adamant about expression your dislike for the Fire Emblem franchise. In all honesty what would be wrong with having 3 unique characters representing the Fire Emblem franchise?

-Knight

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Shut the **** up Groundwalker.
How about no?
I remember you defending Rick about Ridley being a boss, so yeah.
Yeah, really shows how intelligent you are. I didn't support Rick at all about Ridley being a boss. I supported him because everyone took it as serious business when it wasn't and accusing him of stupidity. I'm honestly all for Ridley in Brawl, if you knew sh-t and actual put some effort into reading the posts I made maybe you would actually not be brain dead, eh?
The words "needed" and "better" are very subjective and really don't describe the inclusion of FE characters very well.
They do when I say them.
Tell me what characters are needed in Brawl? Tell me which character are "better" than Fire Emblem characters.
King Dedede
Takamaru
Balloon Fighter
Skapon
Mach Rider
Harry
Lip
Ridley
Princess Midna
Felix
Lucas
Lucario
Krystal
Wolf O' Donnell
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool

Just to name a few on the top of my head. Hell, some I really don't want in the game right now and they deserve a spot more than some generic FE character.
You seem very adamant about expression your dislike for the Fire Emblem franchise.
I don't dislike the Fire Emblem franchise. It's a good franchise. Just as much as I like the games with Stafy in them and even like the characters in them. Does that mean I have to want them in Brawl just because I like them? H-ll no, I don't want to play as a character with either sh-t or generic potential. I don't want to play as Stafy in Brawl, nor some random (yes, random, either you like it or not, there's other characters in the Fire Emblem franchise, deal with it) Fire Emblem character chosen from one of the games. Of course Fire Emblem characters have potential to be fighters, so does every Pokemon. Does that mean I should just randomly choose a Pokemon such as, say, Ho-oh and make a point of, "He's a legendary and very important to the series, so I think he should be in Brawl!"?
In all honesty what would be wrong with having 3 unique characters representing the Fire Emblem franchise?
Nothing at all. But I rather a more original character than the Black Knight, who's another medieval sword user. I'd rather someone who wielded a lance if anything, to bring something completely new to Brawl.

Shuma

Smash Hero
All your posts on that thread was saying that it wasn't serious, and it was, that's why it was locked.

Lord Knight

Smash Lord
Luke Groundwalker said:
King Dedede
Takamaru
Balloon Fighter
Skapon
Mach Rider
Harry
Lip
Ridley
Princess Midna
Felix
Lucas
Lucario
Krystal
Wolf O' Donnell
Dixie Kong
King K. Rool
You shouldn't be talking about randoms and generics when your list is full of them. Mach Rider? Ballon Fighter? Harry? Talk about empty sounding and boring. If you can't discuss and argue properly then you shouldn't even be posting to be honest.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
You shouldn't be talking about randoms and generics when your list is full of them. Mach Rider? Ballon Fighter? Harry? Talk about empty sounding and boring. If you can't discuss and argue properly then you shouldn't even be posting to be honest.
They're not generic, they would actually bring something new to Brawl. Mach Rider is a classic character and has potential to be a very Fist of the North Star-like or Mad Max-like character. Balloon Fighter would be very unique if his designed was tweaked with his balloon factor, I could easily imagine him in. And Harry is just awesome, cool looking boxing robot for the motherf-cking win.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Ohhh... that means you're the only inteligent person in this Forum, Groundwalker... Since only you believed it wasn't serious, when Rick itself sayd it was.

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Uh oh.....a fights goin down. *grabs a bag of popcorn and watches*

But hey yo Lyn so did not deserve to be an assist character. That's jus so wrong. She should be a playable and that's all there is to it! It's jus so wrong.....URGH!

^^I mean jus look at her! Lyn's all that and a bag of Lays man! This makes me so HATE, LOATHE, AND DETEST SAKURAI-SENSAI!

I'm gonna go create a dart board out of a picture I found of em and well.....throw darts at it!:mad:

Shuma

Smash Hero
Eliwood was more important than her in that game. And Eliwood is more important than BK, Micaiah, Marth? No. So yeah, she never had a chance.

0rion

Smash Journeyman
Eliwood was more important than her in that game. And Eliwood is more important than BK, Micaiah, Marth? No. So yeah, she never had a chance.
That may be but c'mon cuz, we need more tight playable female characters other than "The Blonde Trifecta." U know where I'm goin with this, I wanna play as some other tight girl other than Peach, Zelda, and Samus. Lyn would have been perfecto for this game!

Shuma

Smash Hero
True, i would have liked her to be in Brawl, although she is not on my top wanted list, she would have been a fine addition, but again, she had no chance, and if she was a PC, that would have lowered the Black Knight's chances, wich... is not good for me, since as you can see in my sig, he is one of my top whanted characters.

Sinn

Smash Lord
That may be but c'mon cuz, we need more tight playable female characters other than "The Blonde Trifecta." U know where I'm goin with this, I wanna play as some other tight girl other than Peach, Zelda, and Samus. Lyn would have been perfecto for this game!
I totally know what you mean. Though Zelda IS more of a brunette this time around. And Samus practically has a man-giana. In any case, just wait until they confirm Krystal and she will dye them a mighty shade of blue.

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
What does Castle Siege has to do with anything? Sakurai say that it wasn't from any particular game.
If every Fire Emblem character in Brawl came from the same game (FE9), then there would have been no need for a generic stage. It would have been an FE9 stage. Hence, there will be characters from multiple games, which is a point against the Black Knight, who is, of course, from the same game as Ike.

You're might be right, however, the Black Knight shouldn't be a Boss, that's reserved to big ugly monsters, and what gives the Black Knight a mid-high chance is that Ike is in, why? The Black Knight is too important since he is Ike's nemesis, now, i'm pretty sure that the BK will be in, but i doubt it would be a boss, and i doubt he would be an AT, he doesn't seem like AT material. So what's left? a Stycker? Also, FE doesn't NEED a Villain that's true. however, the BK would be relative easy to make, so he could be a PC and 4 is not a bad number for FE characters since FE is so popular now, 3 is the minimun and it's pretty easy to add Ike, BK and Micaiah/Marth.

Besides the Black Knight is more important than Hector and Ephraim, Marth is more important, but... let's face it, he might go.
WHY do you think that the Black Knight is so important to the series? He's Ike's rival. So what? What makes IKE so important to the series? Fire Emblem consists of 10 games, most of which take place on completely different continents with completely different casts as the others (though a couple of them come in pairs: 9-10, 6-7, and 4-5, though even most of those have very little cast overlap). You've been talking like FE9 is the heart and soul of all that is Fire Emblem and must be fully fleshed out before any other game is touched. I fail to see any justification for this whatsoever. What makes adding in one character's nemesis more important than representing ENTIRE OTHER GAMES, which are just as important as FE9? I would call Hector a much more significant addition to the roster than the Black Knight. By a lot. He both adds a whole new way of fighting to the roster (axes) and allows a whole other branch of the series to be represented (FE7). The Black Knight just makes Ike seem more important to Brawl than he ought to be.

There is also another problem which afflicts the BK specifically. He isn't a complete character, at least not yet. In PoR, his motives and his identity are mysterious, and won't be fully explored until the sequel comes around. Now, here's the issue. FE10 came out quite a while ago in Japan. So the fans over there already know all of this stuff about the Black Knight's real character. When Brawl comes out, FE10 will have been out for less than a month in the U.S, and may very well not have been out in Europe at all. So either he needs to put in a bunch of spoilers way before the statute of limitations runs out on them, spoiling the game for millions of people, or he has to leave the Black Knight as a half-character who will seem woefully incomplete looking back on him a year later. Neither one is a very good choice, now, is it?

For the last time, Eliwood is not notably more important than Lyn or Hector. There is a period of, at most, 10 chapters (probably a lot less) which focus specifically on the substory of Eliwood looking for her father. That's no longer than the period of time in which the story focuses on just Lyn alone searching for her noble heritage (which is the first part you see, I hasten to remind you). And after that, it's just a generic "let's all save the world together" story which does not focus any more specifically on him than anyone else. Hector has a whole game mode where the story is told from his perspective, but I haven't played it yet, so I can't really comment on him. But Eliwood is in no way significantly above his co-lords in terms of centrality to the overall story. And, as I believe I've said before, he is by far the least popular of the three.

Lyn, Eliwood, and Hector are basically all the co-stars of FE7. Which means I'd call any given one of them just as important as any other hero, and more important than a villain from a game which has already been represented in the roster. (By which I mean choosing to add any of the three as the singular "FE7 representative" is as strong as choosing to add, say, Sigurd as "FE4 representative". Obviously I wouldn't put more than one of the trio Brawl.)

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Nicely done Wyvern. Those points are all great.
However, FE7 is slilghtly more Eliwoods than Lyn's and Hector's game. Because it's told from his perspective, and it does follow him trying to find his father, albeit not the whole game, but that is what drives him to do what he does.
Hector just follows his best friend, so there's not much there (although in Hector Mode, technically he's the main character, bcuz it's his perspective that time, but it's not the main story mode).
Lyn was the first 10 chapters, which were like a prequel to the actual story game, which people consider start at chapter 11.

And yes, most Lords are over BK, because he's not a Lord himself. Notice how Ganondorf was the last added of the LoZ characters, thats because they went through Link, Zelda, and Shiek before they went for Ganondorf. This is because the heroes and protagonists are always more important than the antagonist, otherwise you wouldn't have a story, or you would, but from the antagonists perspective, making him the protagonist, and still proving my point.

JoshuaAmaron

Smash Cadet
How do you account for the fact that Eliwood's story leads the whole band into finding out about Nergal and saving the world? I think he's more important to the story then them. Though I do believe they were all important to the story.

Smash Ace
Uh oh.....a fights goin down. *grabs a bag of popcorn and watches*

But hey yo Lyn so did not deserve to be an assist character. That's jus so wrong. She should be a playable and that's all there is to it! It's jus so wrong.....URGH!

^^I mean jus look at her! Lyn's all that and a bag of Lays man! This makes me so HATE, LOATHE, AND DETEST SAKURAI-SENSAI!

I'm gonna go create a dart board out of a picture I found of em and well.....throw darts at it!:mad:
agreed.

Give me a "What are Pokeballs" update anyday over something like yesterday's.

0rion

Smash Journeyman
I totally know what you mean. Though Zelda IS more of a brunette this time around. And Samus practically has a man-giana. In any case, just wait until they confirm Krystal and she will dye them a mighty shade of blue.
Ok ok, but what I'm really tryin to say is that those 3 divas, man, I've been playing as them in Melee for what, about a solid freakin decade?! I'm tired of seein that these are the only 3 female chracters that are available for you in Brawl. BABYBACK BULL$HIT! It's time for a change man, and Lyndis should have good and well been added to the chracter roster. Period! But hey, I guess I'm gonna have to settle for Krystal.......that is if Sakurai doesn't add her to the assist trophy roster instead.:p I mean, it could happen.

@2007, yeah, this week's updates so far suck balls!

Wyvern

Smash Journeyman
Nicely done Wyvern. Those points are all great.
However, FE7 is slilghtly more Eliwoods than Lyn's and Hector's game. Because it's told from his perspective, and it does follow him trying to find his father, albeit not the whole game, but that is what drives him to do what he does.
Hector just follows his best friend, so there's not much there (although in Hector Mode, technically he's the main character, bcuz it's his perspective that time, but it's not the main story mode).
Lyn was the first 10 chapters, which were like a prequel to the actual story game, which people consider start at chapter 11.
Okay, fine, I'll admit that Eliwood is a little bit more central to the story than Lyn or Hector. But that's not really the point. Even if he's a little bit more central, Lyn and Hector are still his co-stars, not his underlings or extras. Eliwood is not so much more important than them to justify requiring his presence before they are viable choices. Putting Lyn into the game but not Eliwood is nowhere near the same thing as, say, putting Peach into the game but not Mario. The three lords have roughly (though not quite exactly) equal status as the game's heroes, and as such Lyn or Hector could be alone in Brawl without there being any sort of blatant contradiction, especially when they're the more popular characters.

And yes, most Lords are over BK, because he's not a Lord himself. Notice how Ganondorf was the last added of the LoZ characters, thats because they went through Link, Zelda, and Shiek before they went for Ganondorf. This is because the heroes and protagonists are always more important than the antagonist, otherwise you wouldn't have a story, or you would, but from the antagonists perspective, making him the protagonist, and still proving my point.
Well, you can't take that idea too far, or you get to the point where you have to say things like Darunia should get into Brawl before Ganondorf just 'cause he's on the good guys' team. Putting Ganondorf into a game without Link wouldn't have made any sense, of course, because Link is singularly the central figure in the game, as well as the one that the player actually connects with. However, there would have been nothing irrational about putting Ganondorf into the game before Zelda. After all, he plays a direct combat-related role in every game whereas Zelda is often more of a background character. Having all three is ideal (especially in the case of Legend of Zelda in particular with each holding a piece of the Triforce and all), but if there had been only two of them in a game, Link and Ganondorf wouldn't have really made any less sense than Link and Zelda.

This doesn't help the Black Knight though, because Fire Emblem isn't continuous like Legend of Zelda. Not only does the protagonist of his own game precede him, but since all the games in the series are of equal value, it is necessitated that the main characters from other games also precede him. If the Black Knight was an ubiquitous who appeared in every Fire Emblem game, he would have had a high chance since he could have then better represented the series than a hero who could only represent one game. But as it stands, he's less able to represent his own game compared to the protagonist, and less able to represent the series as a whole compared to other protagonists. And, of course, by the time we have a satisfactory percentage of the franchise represented via lords (FE1-3, FE4-5, FE6-7, and FE9-10 would probably be the four worlds deserving of attention; 2 and 8 could perhaps be justifiably left out as they're both loners), we'd have long since run out of character spots.

Shuma

Smash Hero
However the Black Knight IS a continious Villain from FE9 to FE10 where his Story and motives are revealed, and wasn't FE10 already released in Japan?

Besides what makes the Black Knight such an important character is that he's a well known villain from the first 3d FE games that have been well received both in America and Japan, also let's not forget that he unlike other FE villains is playable, also he has a very deep story with the main protagonist who isalready in Brawl. Also let's us not forget that besides Marth/Macaiah/Sigurd/BK/Lyn/Hector/Ephraim all the other FE characters are obscure characters that have secondary Roles, now Lyn is gone, so i guess Hector could receive the same treatment since Lyn>Hector, Ephraim, well i seriously doubt he would be in brawl just 'cause he has a lance, Sigurd? well he looks a lot like Marth so i guess it's between them and it doesn't affect the BK's chances.

Now what makes the Black Knight diferent from all those? He's a villain, and he's not a hulking monster. He's also playable and important to the story of 2 FE games, while all the others except Marth have appeared in only 1. Besides, i don't think 4 is exagerating the FE roster size, we're at least getting 3, so it's very easy to add Marth, BK and Ike. Everyone happy.

Besides, now with Lyn gone and the other characters also coming from the GBA games and where less popular/important than Lyn, who else are they going to add? Micaiah, Sigurd AND Marth? along with Ike? my personal opinion is that Marth, Ike and the Black Knight would be the perfect FE roster.

Also, so what if he isn't a lord? since when do you need to be a Lord to be in Brawl? it's not like a Rule, just 'cause Marth and Roy where Lords.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
Ugg... no BK.... well maybe as an assist trophy, but I mean I'd be very put out if lyn got screwed into an assist and BK made it as a playable char.

D

Deleted member

Ugg... no BK.... well maybe as an assist trophy, but I mean I'd be very put out if lyn got screwed into an assist and BK made it as a playable char.
I'll bet 2000 units of whatever currency you want that he won't be playable.

Trouble is, Ike is already in. Two reps from one game is incredibly unlikely, especially since the series as a whole is HUGE. If there were only two games, and the Black knight was the main character in one, then he would be a given, but at the moment he looks like a non-playable Subspace boss.

Kirby knight

Smash Lord

Trouble is, Ike is already in. Two reps from one game is incredibly unlikely, especially since the series as a whole is HUGE. If there were only two games, and the Black knight was the main character in one, then he would be a given, but at the moment he looks like a non-playable Subspace boss.
The pokemon series is the 2nd biggest franchise in the world yet Sakurai is only choosing to represent that 1st generation x_x so using a huge series doesn't really hold when a bigger series (pokemon) is only being focused on one generation. (thus far)

-Knight

Sinn

Smash Lord
So far. With almost 500 creatures, they're not going to just rep the first generation forever. Besides, Pichu already repped the second generation in Melee.

IllidR

Smash Champion

So what Ike's in? The series is huge but there aren't very many people that make it into multiple games, and those that do stick out a bit more. AKA Ike AND Black Knight, both in two games. With Ike in, it'd be appropriate to add him as a playable character rather than a boss because he is a rival, not the main villain and has some story behind him. Ike's inclusion could decrease his chances of him being in or it could possibly improve them, we never know.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
All that having been said, the point of this thread is not to debate the black knight, but rather to support Lyn.

And while being an assist trophy effectively nullifies her chance of being an actual character, I still am a huge lyn fan.

Kinda sucks fo FE fans though, Lyn's disincludement is really a forboding sign for any other potential FE smasher. I guess Hector's still got a chance, but he's really about it.

Kabyk-Greenmyst

Smash Lord
Lyn's AT status can show one of two things:

1) Sakurai doesn't approve very much of the GBA games, and decides to reduce them to AT's.

2) Sakurai acknowledges the GBA games, and says they deserve to be in Brawl. If there will be another GBA lord, then Lyn is just supporting Sakurai's positive outlook on the GBA titles.

Top Bottom