• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lumine Hall - Ness Video and Critique Thread

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
HYPEST SET OF THIS WEEKLY RIGHT HERE

>When 2 Timmys clash (seriously both of our names are Timmy xD)

One thing I hate about myself is that I get shaky and I tend to panic very easily when a match gets close. Esp. notable near the end of Game 3. >.>
I guess I can say I DID have the power of Shaky within me though. ;)

Also I didn't think about the D-Smash from Mario when I tried to ledge PKT lol (only thought of U-Smash)

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
Here are some fun ones...

0% damage JV3 Ness vs Mr. G&W (lol that ending bat):

And then a 2-Stock 1% the next day vs Dr. Mario:

pk_melee

Smash Cadet
Pika-Fire (I felt really bad... when I missed the grab).

Is this actually exploitable on Pikachu or was he doing something wrong?

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
After about a month of owning a Wii U... I now present you guys with this. ;)

You might get a laugh at the beginning, and got those commentary clips from my friends. xD (Hopefully it doesn't come off as pretentious tho)

I will admit some effects just seem random... Also I face a lot of Fox and Ness. ;P

Either way, enjoy!! ^__^

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Excuse the double post .__.

Vs Doom (the sequel :p)

Vs Kels

Going against these guys is just SUPER stressful lol. Also I have the best body motions while playing. xD
I will admit, I have a REALLY hard to break habit where I feel like I have to throw out a move unless I'm trying to bait something. Esp. notable vs Kels lol (but she's the best Sonic over here and we've faced off many times since Brawl days so I'm not surprised she won). I TRIED waiting and Nair, but my patience runs out fast and plus what the hell do I follow up with after hitting Sonic out of it? Just can't lol. When I go vs a Sonic I'd have to forgo my playstyle (going in, doing them follow ups) but obv that's just not easy to do. x.x

Note - Vs Doom, he banned Halberd and Delfino (I would never go to the former vs Luigi anyway tho) and Kels banned Delfino and BF (both stages I'd love). LOOKING BACK vs Kels though, I probably should've gone Siege. She actually REALLY hates that stage and I like it actually. xD

Also I had a PKT flub game 2 vs Doom and that PKT2 vs Kels was unintentional XD
I DO think I did use Yo-Yos decently against Kels though. Not perfectly (since I got punished a few times), but it was nice getting them in lol.
Doom also tried challenging me as I recover, but obv it didn't work out. :p

Last edited:

Bulbawack

Smash Rookie
My Ness vs. Charizard with a pk flash/flare blitz ending and a dash of Crème fraîche.

ATATA

Smash Rookie
NNID
BeeperBopper
Switch FC
5724-5551-5318
My PSI magnet canceling guide. I think this is very important for all ness mains to know and be able to do consistently.

Last edited:

Asa

Smash Hero
Excuse the double post .__.

Vs Doom (the sequel :p)

Vs Kels

Going against these guys is just SUPER stressful lol. Also I have the best body motions while playing. xD
I will admit, I have a REALLY hard to break habit where I feel like I have to throw out a move unless I'm trying to bait something. Esp. notable vs Kels lol (but she's the best Sonic over here and we've faced off many times since Brawl days so I'm not surprised she won). I TRIED waiting and Nair, but my patience runs out fast and plus what the hell do I follow up with after hitting Sonic out of it? Just can't lol. When I go vs a Sonic I'd have to forgo my playstyle (going in, doing them follow ups) but obv that's just not easy to do. x.x

Note - Vs Doom, he banned Halberd and Delfino (I would never go to the former vs Luigi anyway tho) and Kels banned Delfino and BF (both stages I'd love). LOOKING BACK vs Kels though, I probably should've gone Siege. She actually REALLY hates that stage and I like it actually. xD

Also I had a PKT flub game 2 vs Doom and that PKT2 vs Kels was unintentional XD
I DO think I did use Yo-Yos decently against Kels though. Not perfectly (since I got punished a few times), but it was nice getting them in lol.
Doom also tried challenging me as I recover, but obv it didn't work out. :p
Against kels:
-Punish sonic landings better.
-Don't throw out pkf or pkt on smashville platform often, it doesn't get you far (and you lost a game for it).
-Don't commit moves as much, sonic can be in your face in an instant.
-Mix up landings and aerial patterns.
-Most of those PKTs that you'd do before you grab the ledge weren't safe. You didn't get punished because kels doesn't know what to do.. Something to note though.

In gener, punish landings better, mix up what you're throwing out and get your combos optimized. Also tomahawks

Last edited:

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
- I find Sonic's landings VERY difficult to punish. Spring hitbox that is dropped will hit you if you're right below him (unless you clashed with Nair like I did subconsciously) and I find Ness is not quick enough to punish his landing since Sonic either drifts away too quickly or auto canceled Dair will bring him down quick enough. I know you're supposed to hit him BEFORE he lands but it's still hella hard lol.

- Yeah I did realize PKT got me killed lol

- Still trying to work on that habit LOL

- How would one mix up landings, esp. Vs Sonic? Wasn't sure what else to do aside from SH Nair. x.x

- And how does one optimize combos against Sonic? I practically only got like one string (shortly after 2nd stock of SV for like 40%) and Sonic is near impossible to catch. :p

I'm not deregarding your advice at all, lol, just that this MU is super frustrating and I still haven't found what works vs Sonic. :p

Asa

Smash Hero
Keep your shield up for the spring, or simply don't be where the spring comes out. After that chase him down, and shield his aerial (they like bair or nair). Sonics air speed isn't so great that you can't punish his landing with the right positioning.

The combo optimization was more against luigi.. You were dropping a lot of free hits. Your follow ups were good enough against sonic. Possibly more uairs.

Against sonic (or anyone really), you can try crossing up his shield with your aerial or simply land behind him. Watch the opponent to see what they're looking for and react accordingly. If sonic is charging a spindash and waiting for you to whiff your uair in landong (which is what you do the most) then just land and shield. Going for the ledge is good too.

lancepantss

Smash Cadet
How to be a d*ck 101 -- A Reel Big D*ck Montage
Warning, this video has the F word in it, and a lot of it

Last edited:

Susi

Smash Apprentice
Finally got singles sets online. I'm not really looking for deep analysis on these but if you have some small tips, please share.

These are from ~30 player Finnish tournament. The ZSS is currently ranked 2nd here and the Luigi is 3rd. I'm 8th.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZJGFWzw1xE :4zss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG_dTWpV0-4 :4luigi:

I believe I still have some Brawl Ness in me but I'm starting to figure out how to play him in Smash 4.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
If you all are curious this is my Ness play. Mnkeybro is my friend and this happened a couple of days when I went over to his house to play. Anyway thanks for posting it.

Now i just gotta win a tournament lol :p

Last edited:

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
While I appreciate this thread, this link could've been linked in the Video thread (or spoken about in the Social.) Please post in one or the other next time. Thank you!

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Vs. Doom (YET AGAIN)

Vs. Holy (Literally my first time playing him, I DO NOT know the ROB MU at all so I really need help. >.>)

I banned Halberd and BF vs Doom, Holy banned Delfino and FD vs me lol.

Lonpos

Smash Cadet
This match has a surprising ending! (S1-14 is currently the best Ness in the Netherlands I believe)

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
So I went to a tournament at my uni the other day and I (finally) had some games on stream! Doubles took 2nd and singles took 4th. I'm more interested in critiues on my singles play, but some doubles help would be appreciated, too!

http://www.twitch.tv/superscrubbrothers/v/21147987

And the timestamps for my matches:
Doubles:
- 1:38:22 (3 game set)
- 2:04:20 (2 game set)
- 2:18:00 (2 game set, Grand finals)

Singles:
- 3:51:47 (3 game set, Critter ended up winning the whole thing) vs. Ike
- 4:04:36 (3 game set) vs. Little Mac
- 4:31:08 (2 game set) vs. Diddy

Any advice is appreciated!

yoshi8984

Smash Lord
NNID
TimmyTendo
Switch FC
SW-6176-0583-0131
Help on Shulk MU please? Literally know nothing on it x.x

- So I had a few misclicks. 2:44 where I did D-Throw, I hit Dair but I wanted Nair. >.>

- The second my feet are off the ground I get Nair'd/Fair'd to oblivion. x.x

- I WAS SO SAD THAT B-THROW DIDN'T KO LIKE HOW I DIDN'T EVEN STALE IT AND HE WAS IN SMASH

- Darkwolf banned Delfino and Halberd so I thought SV since I'm usually comfy there, not sure if it was a good choice since I did even worse. I don't know what to CP vs him though. x.x

- Reminder to not approach Shield Shulk LOL. Also I coulda sworn Shield Shulk would die at 120% at the ledge from B-Throw. :p

PK_Lunar_π_03

Smash Cadet
This is not 100% guaranteed if they tech the platform but if they don't it is guaranteed :) its a bit tricky to land that sour bair but the rest is pretty easy :)

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
Both nair and bair actually work for this so it might be easier to go for a late nair (or sweetspot at slightly lower percents) to initate the jab lock. The dair is cool though, I haven't seen that before (it's easier but less rewarding after you make your opponent slide off the platform to simply jab1 jab1 ftilt them). This might have better belonged in the video thread, but cool nonetheless!

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I do agree. This is really nice, but it did belong in the video thread. :) I'm going to go ahead and leave this open for a few days, then I'll merge it to the video thread.

Thank you for taking time to post such a nice combo. We appreciate it!

Noa.

Smash Master
Lots of other characters have lots of videos of really intense lab specific combos. I'm glad to see one for Ness.

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
I like this combo a lot, but I've found it hard to do the turnaround bair at full speed. I found if they're close enough to the ledge a rising dair can get them to tumble and then a ff sour bair can jab lock on the ground.

It's also given me a couple other ideas I need to play around with. If I get anything substantial I'll definitely post about it!

One thing about this combo that's good us that it makes ness have more options when platforms are involved. I always found his platform game a little lacking compared to other top tiers, but this (possibly) opens other opportunities.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Would anybody care to pick this set apart? I have a few key ideas on what I did wrong, but I'd like to see if they line up with what other people have to say. Don't mind the video preview image, they accidentally mismatched the names and characters, haha.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
Would anybody care to pick this set apart? I have a few key ideas on what I did wrong, but I'd like to see if they line up with what other people have to say. Don't mind the video preview image, they accidentally mismatched the names and characters, haha.

Ok here we go:
At the beginning of the first game you opted for forward throw instead of d throw.

You were going for way too many pk thunders and getting punished for it. I did this to and fixed it.

You were airdodging way too much. Thats why sheik kept getting all those combos and follow ups. You need to space with bair, nair and fair equally.

You need to read your opponent more and see how they react to getting hit by pk fire. Do they roll? Spotdodge? Jump? DI? Find out and punish accordingly.

Tone down the agression, espically against sheik, her fast moves will beat out almost everything. Space with nairs, fairs and bairs.

Overall fix those things and you should be fine.

Top Bottom