• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lumine Hall - Ness Video and Critique Thread

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink

Lumine Hall - Ness Video and Critique Thread
---
Welcome! This thread is dedicated for the use of Ness video footage from tournament play and for critique on how to improve. I encourage everyone to read the general questions below so that we can get to each and every video as easily as possible. If you're new to using Ness, I welcome you. If you're a veteran to him, you should know how this works, but it's still good to brush up.

---

GENERAL QUESTIONS
  • Why should I post videos of my Ness?
    As stated above briefly, a main reason to post videos is so that you can improve. You might think you're doing everything right, when then you realize you're missing something. Everyone is here to get better at the game, and in watching winning (and losing) sets, you can come to realize what you might be doing something wrong or perhaps we're watching and learning what you're doing right!
  • What kind of videos will I see here?
    You'll be seeing all kinds of videos. They could be tournament matches, crew battles, money matches, or even casual matches with your friends (serious friendly matches.) Don't be shy! Even the best players can always improve in some way!
  • I used Ness in tournament. What kind of information should I include when I post?
    You should post as much information as possible! Tell us the date of the tournament you went to, who you played, which games they were (example: Winner's Finals, Game 3 of 3, etc.), and any specific things about the matches you may be proud of or had trouble with.
  • What if I don't main Ness?
    You don't have to main him specifically to ask to get better. If you have any interest in him, or use him as a secondary to your regular main, please still post your videos. We enjoy the fact that you find Ness enjoyable!
---
Over time, a few more things will be added to this opening post, but for now, if you have the game or are getting it soon...please post your videos! Please remember: Give constructive criticism. Don't be rude. Give sound advice.

Last edited:

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
For those wondering, the Ness action starts at around the 12-minute mark.
By the looks of it, the Ness-Zelda matchup seems to be in Ness's favor by how well you did there. The Ness-Robin matchup is more interesting, considering that while Ness still has his PK moves to keep enemies away, Robin also has similar moves, making CQC more difficult for Ness.
That being said, Ness's combo game has definitely been given some attention to; some of the combos you pulled off are ones that I actually use quite a lot in PM (like the PK Fire to D-throw and U-tilts to U-air), so I'm happy to see that they've been carried over. One thing I didn't see at all was the PSI Magnet; I know people have been saying that the basic PSI Magnet isn't too great for much in this game. I'm assuming it doesn't have a hitbox in PM. Do you know if it can still be used as a stall move midair?

I'm excited to see Ness being used in 3DS tourneys, not to mention winning said tourneys. Congrats! And if anyone has anything else to add, please do so!

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Might as well re-post this here. FOW is definitely the best Ness I've seen yet, if not the best Smash 4 player period. All Ness mains would be wise in following this guy's Twitch.

For anyone who's interested I watched some high level Smash 4 play last night on FOW's Twitch stream. He did a best to 5 against a really strong Brawl Link named Scizor (not familiar w/ him since I never followed Brawl's competitive scene).

Regardless his Link was easily the best I've seen yet so I think a lot of you would enjoy. http://www.twitch.tv/1fow1/b/571787575 The match starts at around 08:04:55 (8 hrs 4 mins 55 secs).

Also if any of you are interested in seeing how good FOW is he beat both Zero and Nairo in a best to 10 with his Ness. 05:23:30 for Zero and 06:40:00 for Nairo. He might be the most talented player so far in terms of Smash 4 streamers. Definitely give him a follow if you're into watching high level play the guy deserves it.

Jtails

Smash Lord
Hey guys, so I mained Ness early on in Brawl 08-10 and he's always been one of my favorite characters.

I just tried using him in tournament this past weekend, aside from the SD, please critique? :)

http://youtu.be/9GxpHRflzFI

SyMag

Smash Cadet
NNID
PKThunda
3DS FC
1805-2965-9302
Hey guys, so I mained Ness early on in Brawl 08-10 and he's always been one of my favorite characters.

I just tried using him in tournament this past weekend, aside from the SD, please critique? :)

Pretty good in my opinion! Unfortunate to see the SD though... :confused:

Regardless, I like your use of PSI Magnet as a stall move; I use that all the time in PM not only to psyche opponents out, but also as a means of gaining some more time and distance to recover from offstage, so seeing you use it in a similar manner was very good (considering I was uncertain whether or not it would be returning!). I also like your use of PK Fire as a means of creating distance and also as a combo starter, particularly PK Fire to grab and D-throw.
The use of Ness's aerials was also pretty good, particularly F-air and N-air; always reliable moves to lean back on when you're trying to rack up some damage, not to mention they can be good combo moves if you're fast enough.
Finally, good use of PK Thunder to keep Robin off the stage. It's sad to see that PK Flash isn't as potent as it is in PM, but at least PKT does a decent job of keeping opponents away.

If you wanna keep getting better at Ness in Sm4sh, I'd suggest going over to NAKAT's post here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq2fkkQnVGI&list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA
As well as 200X's post here: http://smashboards.com/threads/in-w...ssb4-tournament-as-ness.368316/#post-17649603

But overall, I'd say you did pretty good!

Jtails

Smash Lord
Pretty good in my opinion! Unfortunate to see the SD though... :confused:

Regardless, I like your use of PSI Magnet as a stall move; I use that all the time in PM not only to psyche opponents out, but also as a means of gaining some more time and distance to recover from offstage, so seeing you use it in a similar manner was very good (considering I was uncertain whether or not it would be returning!). I also like your use of PK Fire as a means of creating distance and also as a combo starter, particularly PK Fire to grab and D-throw.
The use of Ness's aerials was also pretty good, particularly F-air and N-air; always reliable moves to lean back on when you're trying to rack up some damage, not to mention they can be good combo moves if you're fast enough.
Finally, good use of PK Thunder to keep Robin off the stage. It's sad to see that PK Flash isn't as potent as it is in PM, but at least PKT does a decent job of keeping opponents away.

If you wanna keep getting better at Ness in Sm4sh, I'd suggest going over to NAKAT's post here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq2fkkQnVGI&list=UU5WNBHwgluAwWJE5QV-5_TA
As well as 200X's post here: http://smashboards.com/threads/in-w...ssb4-tournament-as-ness.368316/#post-17649603

But overall, I'd say you did pretty good!

Thank you for the comments!!

Uffe

Smash Hero
Is anyone willing to upload my replays? I'm not posting them to show off, just to get a critique. I wish I saved my failures as well. :/

Uffe

Smash Hero

I would like to implement some of these things you're doing with Ness in my game. Unfortunately, I have no one to play with in person, and online, it's hard for me to do because of the lag. :S I really like your Ness, though.

Fachewachewa

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, 3 days ago I had some really good games in for glory against a falcon player. We had like 20 games, and we were pretty even.
Here's two games I saved, we played together at least for half an hour at this point. It's phone quality, hope it's ok (well technically it's HD...).
I'd be glad to have your opinion. I know I should have used more pkt / bair / nair to edgeguard in the first match, but I really wanted a PK flash KO a that point :'D. Also, I always forget to pummel when I grab, I'm trying to correct this :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qAmBCcyHeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3BS10dDss8

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Hey guys, 3 days ago I had some really good games in for glory against a falcon player. We had like 20 games, and we were pretty even.
Here's two games I saved, we played together at least for half an hour at this point. It's phone quality, hope it's ok (well technically it's HD...).
I'd be glad to have your opinion. I know I should have used more pkt / bair / nair to edgeguard in the first match, but I really wanted a PK flash KO a that point :'D. Also, I always forget to pummel when I grab, I'm trying to correct this :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qAmBCcyHeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3BS10dDss8
Dat lucky win on the 2nd vid tho ! And you're not even afraid of the knee. :shades:
So... I would only say that you didn't use the yoyos/Dtilt enough. Since he often rushed to you, a good Dtilt could probably have stopped him.
Take what I say with a grain of :salt: through

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Just 2 things I discovered you can do in Smash 4 with Ness.

Magnet Cancel

Input a movement and you'll be able to move freely after absorbing something, this is VERY useful for playing safe and not getting punished.

You can roll back away from them, side dodge, or jump out of it.

Reverse PK Thunder

This one is just a sweetspot you have to hit, it's a little tricky but it sends you at an angle back down that could be useful in certain situations. Not extremely useful, but it's there.

Thought I'd leave this here as well.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Just 2 things I discovered you can do in Smash 4 with Ness.

Magnet Cancel

Input a movement and you'll be able to move freely after absorbing something, this is VERY useful for playing safe and not getting punished.

You can roll back away from them, side dodge, or jump out of it.

Reverse PK Thunder

This one is just a sweetspot you have to hit, it's a little tricky but it sends you at an angle back down that could be useful in certain situations. Not extremely useful, but it's there.

Thought I'd leave this here as well.
Psi magnet cancel was in brawl. Reverse pkt2 has been known of since melee.

Fachewachewa

Smash Rookie
Dat lucky win on the 2nd vid tho ! And you're not even afraid of the knee. :shades:
So... I would only say that you didn't use the yoyos/Dtilt enough. Since he often rushed to you, a good Dtilt could probably have stopped him.
Take what I say with a grain of :salt: through
Thanks ! That's right I tend to forget about up/down smash/tilts when I play with ness.. I'm working on that !

Fachewachewa

Smash Rookie
Ahah, I would avoid a suicide pk thunder 2 on the first stock personnaly :D

I like your dairs in the second video, I find it harder to use than in melee :(

Gabukin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gabukin
Ahah, I would avoid a suicide pk thunder 2 on the first stock personnaly :D

I like your dairs in the second video, I find it harder to use than in melee :(
ya that PKT2 was dumb but I saw a perfect opportunity. I guess it was just an amateur move ^^''..
I feel like Ness's dair is so bad in this game. I wish they didn't nerf it so hard. :(

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Dat 1st stock in the 1st vid :shades:
For the second vid, I think you didn't use the bat enough. he gave you lots of opportunities :p

Fachewachewa

Smash Rookie
ya that PKT2 was dumb but I saw a perfect opportunity. I guess it was just an amateur move ^^''..
I feel like Ness's dair is so bad in this game. I wish they didn't nerf it so hard. :(
Ahah no it's not an amateur move, it's fun. I was just saying it's risky, that's just me being scared with only two stock. But that's a cool way to say to your opponent "look, i'm just gonna kill you, I don't care about this stock" :D.

Toon link is 2cute!

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-6547-1774
how do you even record it? do you save it as a replay? if you save it as a replay, how would you post it on here?

Toon link is 2cute!

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-6547-1774
Yeah, save it as a replay. As for sharing it on here, looks like you'll have to record the replay with your phone and upload it to somewhere like YouTube, then post the link
OK thanks so much!!
I'm going to show a match of me in an online battle 1v1 in for glory

Hina

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0130-3055-0413
Here's a video of a Ness game I had in For Glory!
Um, I wasn't playing too seriously and tried to be lazy a few times, but yeah. I'd really love to hear input, since I've only been using him since last night.

mashedsmash

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3282-4446-5550
Having read all of these posts, I'm excited to implement some of the new things I've seen. Maybe I'll post a replay later.

neomadgic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
neomagic249
Ok here it is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apPEgFSmoD0&list=UUL6kaRhdooZHOYQJpOU2H9w

excuse the noise around 1:10
i did pretty ad though :/ how could i improve my game?
Hi! From the looks of the gameplay, you know Ness's moves pretty well. The next step at getting better would to be less predictable and more defensive. One thing I HIGHLY recommend, is SAVING your second jump. Throughout the video, whenever you are knocked back, you immediately use your second jump. Try saving it.

EDIT: Just realized that this video was posted 2 weeks ago. Sorry for the late response

Toon link is 2cute!

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4699-6547-1774
Hi! From the looks of the gameplay, you know Ness's moves pretty well. The next step at getting better would to be less predictable and more defensive. One thing I HIGHLY recommend, is SAVING your second jump. Throughout the video, whenever you are knocked back, you immediately use your second jump. Try saving it.

EDIT: Just realized that this video was posted 2 weeks ago. Sorry for the late response
Thanks! I true appreciate it
So for defensive, and being less predictable, what do you recommend doing?

PK Tripping

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, semi-new player here, I was wondering if you guys could give some tips on mixing up my Ness in general, as I am most likely super predictable. Video is below, but I recommend nearly muting the volume, I had my AC going and it jacked up the quality more than my phone.

Any tips on being less predictable and some better combos would be nice, thanks!

Top Bottom