• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lumine Hall - Ness Video and Critique Thread

Bartolon

Smash Lord
If anyone is interested, here are some matches from last friday. Was a small tournament and didn't play ness all too much but wanted to show some videos anyway.

Played Ness the first game

Here a full set as Ness

Not all too happy with some greedy plays I made, but besides that I think it's a pretty good showcase of my Ness

jcEmblem

Smash Rookie
NNID
Saturns.FM
3DS FC
4356-0536-9575
Replays of Ness dittos vs. iQHQ Ribs on his stream. I am the title screen palette.

I asked ribs for tips afterwards and he suggested working on pressuring more, especially at the ledge because Ness can body himself when one has stage control.

Any input from you guys? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Bartolon

Smash Lord
Here are some videos showcasing more of the Greninja matchup. Think they're worth watching, pretty happy with how I played in most of these matches.

Winners finals gets reuploaded cause it cuts off at some point

Last edited:

bader

Smash Cadet
recent footage from a tournament I TO in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. playing against one of our highest ranked PR players, in what I feel like is a bad MU. I am feeling like I have plateaued recently and could use some help. any advice?

The_Most_Effectual

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EarthBoundNerdC
https://youtu.be/M_KbV2HubIA
https://youtu.be/gx3eI7P66_8

This was about two months ago at a local at UNCC. I know my neutral needs work; I tend to PK Fire too much and for some reason I was in a weird phase spamming u+d smash and dash attack at the time lol.
I'd really appreciate any tips or pointers that you guys would have to improve my game.

Last edited:

ForetoldWaffle

Smash Rookie
Can somebody analyze this video and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't keep on losing like this and I really want to improve this MU.

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Can somebody analyze this video and tell me what I'm doing wrong? I can't keep on losing like this and I really want to improve this MU.
A minute in and I can already tell you're not spacing yourself enough and not using very good approach options against Link. Link's attacks have quite the mid range on them allowing him to beat out a number of Ness's moves. When your shield went up Link immediately went for the hook shot and started grabbing you and began his up tilt chain. Be wary of grabs like Link's because the range can be rather deceptive at times and can even catch you as you're rolling. I suggest jumping instead, especially considering Ness's incredible air mobility. Also pk thunder leaves you wide open and Link has a number of options as he goes off stage to send you further away. So another thing to consider in some match ups is to either A. save your double jump or B. if you used it up use the move in a way where it's harder to punish you, because even if you get sent towards the stage you can still save yourself by teching.

Really the only thing I recommend is learning to space out. Link's range can easily challenge a lot of Ness's approach options and even punish them. Like when you tried to forward smash him but missed. That led you wide open to being punished with Link's f-smash instead. Also DON'T challenge Link's d-air with Ness's aerials. They will always get beaten out due to the length of Link's hit box when doing it. Instead let him land on the ground, suffer end lag, and then punish with a quick move or a grab (More preferably a grab because you can start your combo strings with down throw, or if they're at a high percent back throw for the kill) that's another issue your Ness has in this match up. You tend to challenge Link's most majority of the time instead of avoiding it and THEN punishing. It's very difficult for Ness to challenge moves that outrange his disjoints so matches like this need to be played more cautiously.

Also another thing to keep in mind, you can use PSI Magnet on Link's bombs to heal. In case you didn't know.

I hope my advice helped you. If you need more assistance with fighting Link I suggest looking at ZeRo's video on how to fight Link. It's very informative.

Last edited:

ForetoldWaffle

Smash Rookie
A minute in and I can already tell you're not spacing yourself enough and not using very good approach options against Link. Link's attacks have quite the mid range on them allowing him to beat out a number of Ness's moves. When your shield went up Link immediately went for the hook shot and started grabbing you and began his up tilt chain. Be wary of grabs like Link's because the range can be rather deceptive at times and can even catch you as you're rolling. I suggest jumping instead, especially considering Ness's incredible air mobility. Also pk thunder leaves you wide open and Link has a number of options as he goes off stage to send you further away. So another thing to consider in some match ups is to either A. save your double jump or B. if you used it up use the move in a way where it's harder to punish you, because even if you get sent towards the stage you can still save yourself by teching.

Really the only thing I recommend is learning to space out. Link's range can easily challenge a lot of Ness's approach options and even punish them. Like when you tried to forward smash him but missed. That led you wide open to being punished with Link's f-smash instead. Also DON'T challenge Link's d-air with Ness's aerials. They will always get beaten out due to the length of Link's hit box when doing it. Instead let him land on the ground, suffer end lag, and then punish with a quick move or a grab (More preferably a grab because you can start your combo strings with down throw, or if they're at a high percent back throw for the kill) that's another issue your Ness has in this match up. You tend to challenge Link's most majority of the time instead of avoiding it and THEN punishing. It's very difficult for Ness to challenge moves that outrange his disjoints so matches like this need to be played more cautiously.

Also another thing to keep in mind, you can use PSI Magnet on Link's bombs to heal. In case you didn't know.

I hope my advice helped you. If you need more assistance with fighting Link I suggest looking at ZeRo's video on how to fight Link. It's very informative.
Thanks I will keep in mind everything you told me.

Lochy

Smash Ace
NNID
Lochinator
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DvpGuwunZE Here's mine from a month ago. I need help with this matchup.
I am gonna put this in a list of sorts to make it easier to read.

1. Respect Kirby's space, a lot of Kirby's use grabs a lot to rack up percent, kill, combo, etc.

2. Dancing around Kirby. Pretty much always be on the move. Poke his shield with safe moves like retreating nair/bair/fair and the edge of up-air, but don't over extend or you may get grabbed or f-smashed.

3. You were sitting in shield way too much over the course of the set, which left you to being grabbed a lot.

4. Only use PK thunder on stage if Kirby is recovering. You got punished a couple of times for using it unsafely.

5. Be quick with your combos against Kirby. Kirby's jumps activate pretty quickly so make sure to do combos as fast as possible if he is trying to escape.

6. DI Kirby's upthrow! The commentators mentioned it twice. To DI Kirby's up throw, move your analog stick away from him.

7. Work on your conversions, there were some key punishes and moves you missed in the match, I am not sure if it was nerves or lack of knowledge but try to practice them either way. This helps build muscle memory so you can remember they in a tournament situation.

8. In the match the Kirby baited you to do a punishable move while he was jumping, then he swooped down with a dair or fair to punish.

9. Use more empty hops to bait him into doing something punishable like dropping shield, grabbing at the wrong time, using a laggy move, etc.

10. In general, pick up on habits throughout his gameplay. Ask yourself these questions.

When I am in a certain situation what does the opponent do?

Does he shield my moves a lot?

Does he airdodge after a throw or small combo?

What are his ledge get-up habits?

Does he tech in place, roll away or roll toward you?

What moves or combos are prevalent in his gameplay?

Does he play Aggresively, Defensively or a mix of both?

These are my replys to the match.

Top Bottom