• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi Mains Guide to #1

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Listen Guys. You probably don't know me but I'm one of the top Luigi's players out there. The reason you don't know me like that is because I have not been to many tourneys which will change soon. Im from Indiana and play the best hear all the time going back and forth with them. I play people like Count(Diddy Kong), Renegade (Snake, Ike), Krystedez (Wario, Pit) , 4Bidden (Fox, MK) and Sovereign (ZSS, Kirby). Count, Renegade and Krystedez are preety well known Krystedez(Best Wario IMO) for beating DEHF at MLG. Renegade is known as one of the best Ikes after San and his Snake is legit. I thought that I'd let you know a little bit about me so u can't think I'm just some rookie trolling on to the topic.

Anyway Im posting this thread because I want to see Luigi do better at more tournaments. The only way for this to happen is for us Luigi's to share our strategies and useful techs. After playing with all of the Top Tier tier characters for a while I found out that almost every Top tier character has a winning tactic like most characters. Of course some are better than others. Luigi has those move too. When playing with Luigi you should only use your safe moves when trying to attack. The problem most Luigi mains have is they get overly aggressive when feeling as if they have a "COMBO" going. When you get overly aggressive with Luigi thats when you can suffer. If you play smart get the lead in percentage just let your enemy come to you. When they do so they are at a disadvantage because they have more actions to anticipate you doing. Like Boss said in the other thread turtling is a great technique. Don't be afraid to play gay by running away after you hit them. When you do this this causes the opponent to get frustrated and make unsafe movements and decisions self more viable to getting SHORYUKEN.

Tips on Landing the SHORYUKEN:
1. Train your opponents into spot dodging(like make the other player get used to spot dodging) by using up smash tilted up or down smash. You can catch more opponents with SHORYUKEN off of a well read spot dodge then off of the jab.

2. Play with tap jump on and learn how to perfect shield. When you perfect shield any of your opponents move automatic SHORYUKEN.(Practice on CPU and make this a habit)

3. Jab cancel a lot in the match so that after you trained your opponent to smash DI away you can jab once and instead of blocking watch them buffer some smash DI walk over nicely and SHORYUKEN.

Tips on Landing the Misfire Headbutt:
1. When juggling your opponents go for the misfire more often. This will do two things to your opponents. This will either make them aware that you will you go for the misfire and they will try hard not to get in a position to get hit by it sometimes forgetting the strategy they had against you. The other situation that will happen is it will hit them and they will die in most cases cause them to play overly aggressive since most people hate getting killed by randomness.

2. Have your opponent chase you a lot in the match with out doing an attack. Train them to know they have to chase you down and hit you. From time to time use quick reverse side b and you will never know sometimes you will get it.

3. Whenever you can get or catch your opponent off stage you should go for it from time to time. When characters are trying to recover they can't usually air dodge any attack because it sends them down. In that case it leaves your opponent with two options. Either getting hit with the side b(hopefully misfire) or using their up b recovery sooner than wanted hitting you back toward the stage cause them to sometimes to mistime it.

4. Don't ever use a random headbutt because you think that the next one is not a misfire if you do so you might waist an actual misfire in the process.

This is all I will share with you guys for now I want to see how you respond to this. If you would like to see me in action I will put up some videos just request it. I hope this helps out some.

Jab, Jab, Jab
1. The first part of Luigi's BnB. Luigi's jab is very great but heavily underused. His jab is fast enough to stop a fox that hits you with his one-two jab and goes for a grab. His jab also has decent range.

2. You should use jab to push your opponent away from you as well as when they run in from time to time. Its kinda of like a reset button.

3. If your opponent shields your first jab and they are on top of you jab cancel and grab them. Mix this up with all three jabs so your opponent won't think to block grab after the first one every time. If they do it too early they wont get the grab and will get hit with the second jab.

OOS(Out Of Shield) attacks
1. These right here are the second part of our BnB(Bread and Butter). When playing an aggressive opponent and you get used to their attacking patterns OOS them with fair, dair, neutral air. Make them back up and try a new approach. If you play the game safe once you get the lead your opponent will always rush into you and then you can go to your OOS options.

2. Save neutral air after your oppenent is at about 65-70% in damage. Once they hit 128-140% damage percent a neutral air OOS is almost guaranteed to hit them.

3. If your opponent uses an attack like an jab on your shield and their in SHORYUKEN kill range go ahead and up b OOS them. Very useful on characters that have jabs with no push back or jabs that people use when your really close on them.

Here are the links to my recent youtube videos

Be@st vs Krystedez 1 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAXdd7YdNTg
Be@st vs Krystedez 2 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oM4wFyp32Hw&feature=related
Be@st vs Krystedez 3 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7n919ShUHI
Be@st vs Krystedez 4 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBKlAh3RS3Y
Be@st vs Krystedez 5 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqssY1-EUF0
Be@st vs Krystedez 6 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axuGCCtjeNs
Be@st vs Krystedez 7 of 7 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzW5j2M-mkg

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
Trust me these tips work especially the misfire one. After reading this I finally understand why they connect against me. (No fair Be@st you have been hiding this from me) :(

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Footage of this stuff being viable in tourneys would be good.

The thing that sticks out to me thought is that regularly incorporating missiles into your juggles would become punishable, and not always worth it.

This stuff is good when you have the lead, but what doyou suggest if you're losing and have to approach?

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Footage of this stuff being viable in tourneys would be good.

The thing that sticks out to me thought is that regularly incorporating missiles into your juggles would become punishable, and not always worth it.

This stuff is good when you have the lead, but what doyou suggest if you're losing and have to approach?
Yeah the next tourney Im going to is one next week in St. Louis and I know that some of my matches will be recorded. I plan on putting up some videos playing friendlies with some of the players I listed also.

You don't want to go for misfire every time but you do want to go for it. The biggest attribute of misfire is that its unpredictable meaning your opponent cant predict when to air dodge/spot dodge because its so fast. The closer you use it to your opponent the harder it is to react to.

If you don't got the lead and have to approach. You should always try to approach your opponent while they are in shield/spot dodging/air dodging. They don't have not too many options doing these things. The only attack to make them do one of the three is to shoot well spaced fire balls as you approach. This is the safest approach option Luigi has as long as you don't space it incorrectly. When getting closer to your opponent while they got the lead you want to get in a range that would make them uncomfortable. For example when fighting a Falco he is most uncomfortable when you are three characters spaces away from him because its not safe to laser and your out of his jab/f-tilt range. Every character has a uncomfortable range. I hope this help some.

I seriously pray to the lord this is cr4sh or xero on a troll account looool

I will read later
No its not. I met crash before but this is not crash or xero. Im a different person.

TreK

Is "that guy"
sounds like your Luigi is a more experienced version of mine.

Keep posting, videos or strategic stuff. I want to see how effective I can be if I push myself.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
I just watched that whole video.

Every time he side b'd he ended up taking a lot of damage, and at the end he lost the match because of it.

The risk/reward of it is too great in the risk factor.

It's obviously a mix-up, but the low chance of it producing consistent results isn't worth to use.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
sounds like your Luigi is a more experienced version of mine.

Keep posting, videos or strategic stuff. I want to see how effective I can be if I push myself.
Yeah I will post some vids of me playing up to date tonight or tomorrow. I will edit this thread and add more strategic stand points as well now that I see some people actually looking into it and taking time to discuss and talk about it.

What's ur tag in touneys and links to tourney results?
Its Be@st and I have not played Luigi in a tournament for a while. I stopped playing with Luigi because of the frustrating mk match-up and went to falco/snake/mk. Now after playing with the three competitively I took something I learned from each applying it to my Luigi now. So the next tournament you discuss about me being in it will be the one in St. Louis next weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4GvtKBfN5U

we see some of it in this match a few times in the 2nd half of the match.

old vid but **** it.

it doesn't look nearly as nooby as it seems since it's a good mix-up. ;o
Yeah thats my old Luigi i was too aggressive back then and was always on the offense. Im a put some new videos up tonight or tomorrow.

I just watched that whole video.

Every time he side b'd he ended up taking a lot of damage, and at the end he lost the match because of it.

The risk/reward of it is too great in the risk factor.

It's obviously a mix-up, but the low chance of it producing consistent results isn't worth to use.
Yeah your right but the only problem that I had was using it in unsafe situations. I don't play as aggressive any more. I still use it but not as mush in unsafe situations.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
There isn't really a "safe" situation to use it, because there is always a better option
There is actually in that old video when I used it at the end vs Count that was safe. What made the move seem unsafe was me trying to follow up with a spike. If I would of just grabbed the ledge that move would have been safe. In fact you just helped me realize one of the safest times to use side b is when your opponent is off the ledge trying to recover. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4GvtKBfN5U At 5:57.(If people are wondering what video)

Sovereign

Game Reaper
NNID
Sovereign90
Name searching is an amazing thing. Not gonna lie. Good stuff, though. A lot of these things are true, in the ways that they work. The Shoryu tactics are what you should focus on the most, since that's what makes Luigi the scariest, when he knows how to use it. Your opponent will be scared to take anything over 50%-60%, once you start landing it, often enough.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Hmm, turning tap jump on...that'll take some time getting used to for up b's >_<

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Hmm, turning tap jump on...that'll take some time getting used to for up b's >_<
When turning tap jump on you don't have to necessarily jump with tap jump only jump with tap jump when using up b OOS up b. You can still use your x or y. I still do anyway.

vid's or didn't happen(the words of boss)
Boss is not the rule master but I can see your a visual learner so I will put vids up of me playing great people soon most likely this weekend during my break from school.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I just can't see side b as any sort of safe attack option. Although the side b at 5:57 was safe, it didn't hit Diddy and it put you next to a banana with lag, so what good did it do?

Be@st

Smash Cadet
I just can't see side b as any sort of safe attack option. Although the side b at 5:57 was safe, it didn't hit Diddy and it put you next to a banana with lag, so what good did it do?
Yeah you see when I did that side b I did not mean to. I was actually trying to do a running reverse one but the correct inputs did not come out or go through. That was a dumb side b.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
so any other vids or tourney results of u? (even if it was a year + ) (even if it wasn't luigi, i think u used falco mk and snake too? )

i tried implementing misfire/green missile fully charged back in the day (reading air dodges, spotdodges and rolls )

i mean it's okay just the risks, are pretty gay, depending on who you fight (like MK or Snake or Diddy for instance, if you **** up, they have time to set up and be gay again)

Be@st

Smash Cadet
so any other vids or tourney results of u? (even if it was a year + ) (even if it wasn't luigi, i think u used falco mk and snake too? )

i tried implementing misfire/green missile fully charged back in the day (reading air dodges, spotdodges and rolls )

i mean it's okay just the risks, are pretty gay, depending on who you fight (like MK or Snake or Diddy for instance, if you **** up, they have time to set up and be gay again)
Totally agree with what you are saying about the risk. I've recorded some matches already tonight of me playing in this new strategic way. I will add them Tonight hopefully.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
But beast, you don't even use luigi in tournament.

???
Crash I do now. I decided to just man up and just accept his flaws and play him. So I made this thread to make me get better as well as help others. Im not selfish anymore. I hope us Luigis can get him to the A tier level. Since you never seen me play Luigi you should watch the new videos I put up some from me playing people tonight and you can check them out. Owe and by the way I am saying no I meant yelling SHORYUKEN like you do in tourneys. Its so self rewarding Im glad I got to hear you do it.

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman
He's slow as **** and has a crappy projectile.

Luigi is REAL easy to abuse.
Hold on Luigi is slow???

check out his frame data then see if you still feel the same way and there isnt one crappy projectile in the game look at projectiles as an extended jab which is always good.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Luigi moves slowly dude. He's slower in the air than the smashville platform FFS.

And his fireball lags seriously almost as long as it's a hitbox. Iirc you have like 6 frames of being able to do things before the hitbox goes away. It's really, really bad. It's nice to have a projectile, but luigi has a really ****ty one.

His shield and traction stink too.

It's sad to see a character with such an incredible moveset get ****ed over by being literally the worst character at everything else.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Luigi moves slowly dude. He's slower in the air than the smashville platform FFS.

And his fireball lags seriously almost as long as it's a hitbox. Iirc you have like 6 frames of being able to do things before the hitbox goes away. It's really, really bad. It's nice to have a projectile, but luigi has a really ****ty one.

It's sad to see a character with such an incredible moveset get ****ed over by being literally the worst character at everything else.
Just the watch the videos Im about to put up. Lost respect for you.

4Biddin

Smash Journeyman

Yooooo Crash i see your going to Hael Phaels this weekend I'll see you there I wanna play some friendlies with you at least.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Lost respect for me?

Whatever dude. I'm just telling you the truth here. If you want to take it badly, thats your deal.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Its crazy how all im doing is trying to help Luigi boards and people are downing the character. Where is the support at. This guide is great for Luigi players.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Its crazy how all im doing is trying to help Luigi boards and people are downing the character. Where is the support at. This guide is great for Luigi players.
i support it, but "people" ( lol cr4sh?) can accept luigi's weaknesses,

those are true facts we can't avoid, just only ways to compensate for it etc.

luigi has some obvious weaknesses, that hold him back from being A tier ( dude we're slower than like MK in the air, and almost tied with DDD, face reality lol )

besides it's not like his post was being negative towards you or your thread or the board in general, just stating true facts.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
i support it, but "people" ( lol cr4sh?) can accept luigi's weaknesses,

those are true facts we can't avoid, just only ways to compensate for it etc.
Okay you are right, well Cr4sh my bad for sayin people.

Be@st

Smash Cadet
I'm in the process of recording them through pinnacle to put them on my youttube they should be on there by 1:30 ish or so

Krystedez

Awaken the Path
Crash I can honestly say that the only character that really can shutdown Luigi is Metaknight. Close behind might be Snake or MAYBE marth because of range and kill power (Luigi's di is the crappest of them all with these guys)

I'mma learn the MU soon again unless he wants to be like he was with his falco (goes to bug him for Falco practice)

(BTW, Im Beast's room mate if anyone cares to know...

Im gunna have to say I have to put a hold on the videos since I havent gotten pinnacle studio updated on 4Biddn's computer)

Be@st

Smash Cadet
Crash I can honestly say that the only character that really can shutdown Luigi is Metaknight. Close behind might be Snake or MAYBE marth because of range and kill power (Luigi's di is the crappest of them all with these guys)

I'mma learn the MU soon again unless he wants to be like he was with his falco (goes to bug him for Falco practice)

(BTW, Im Beast's room mate if anyone cares to know...

Im gunna have to say I have to put a hold on the videos since I havent gotten pinnacle studio updated on 4Biddn's computer)
lol falco practice

Looking forward to it.
Yeah the pinnacle studio is not working look for them tomorrow morning or tehy WILL BE UP!!!!

Top Bottom