• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Luigi beats Ike?

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Hey Ike mains, it seems almost everyone on the Luigi boards thinks that Luigi has a clear advantage on Ike. Fireballs give him trouble, mess up his spacing, and his kill options are hard to get off against Luigi. Now this may or not be true

I personally am of the opinion that Ike does very well against Luigi. I don't feel that fireballs automatically give Luigi an advantage and I think Ike's range keeps Weegee in check. The IASA frames on Ike's fair and his combo starter nair work very nice against characters with limited range(such as Luigi).

I do think that Luigi kills ike off the stage........maybe i'm wrong on this as well. If any of you Ike mains would care to elaborate and debate the issue.........I would greatly appreciate it.

Here's the link: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=201610

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
That's a fairly bizarre topic. The misconception that Ike has a problem against a fireball that goes about as fast as a snail does is an error that I hope Smashboards will get over soon. Seriously, these sluggish projectiles don't really phase Ike.

Posted a rather large bit in the topic.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
All I really said was that fireballs will be used to mess up his spacing. Not that it'll be the end-all-be-all in the match-up. >_>

*reads post* You did forget to mention about Luigi's Rising Tornado though, Light.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Ike has an easy time edgeguarding Luigi though... o-o Lulz. Eruption edgeguard.

Lol, too be honest, I thought that this match was in Ike's favor for once.... xD W/e though... I don't feel like arguing with another board about a matchup...

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
All I really said was that fireballs will be used to mess up his spacing. Not that it'll be the end-all-be-all in the match-up. >_>

*reads post* You did forget to mention about Luigi's Rising Tornado though, Light.
Oh, Luigi's Rising Tornado is a good move, yes, I just seemed to have forgotten to include it. I just mainly went through the topic and picked out things that people didn't really know what they were talking about.

When we do Luigi for the match-up guide, I shall most certainly include everything.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I don't think it's that bad...

Just that they were putting too much emphasis on the fireballs.

__V

Smash Journeyman
Luigi has a very slight advantage over Ike, and it isn't because of the fireballs.

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Eh, it's not quite as bad as the dreamers over at the Lucario board, but they are fairly bad.

Throw in stuff like our grab release on them and wall infinities, remind them they have what is basically the worse projectile in the game that does next to nothing but force a character that almost always approaches to approach. Sure, it can hit us of a few attacks, but that would be cause the player messed up, not a build in advantage. That would be like saying Ike can just use counter to beat the projectiles. (He almost can they have such crap range and speed) Show them the fact that all of Ike's aerials have good IASA frames, and tell them to stop dreaming. I would myself, but I have to go to a collage night thingy.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike has the advantage IMO. He lacks range and does not gimp Ike by any special means (unlike his brother) plus luigi is edgegurdable

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
luigi can combo ike with a crazy chain though...luigi is kind of like a less mobile, floatier squirtle.

Arturito_Burrito

Smash Master
The combos that Luigi has on Ike will probably be negated by Jab combos Ike has. I say on average Ike can get in 3 jab combos which could very easily be 20%+ each. The first one should be 25 right off the bat.

XACE-K

Smash Master
To me Ike=Luigi from my experience. Both can gimp each other, Ike has his power and above average hitboxes while Luigi has combos and such.

Are you Weegee mains being greedy? Can't you just let Ike have 1 match-up where he has the advantage?

Guilhe

Smash Ace
I know this matchup very well, and Ike has the advantage in my opinion. I've written a guide with the collaboration of three Luigi mainers, supervised by hippiedude92, which shall be published at our board matchup guide whenever Luigi will be discussed. This guide shall explain how Ike has the 60:40.

YagamiLight

Smash Champion
I know this matchup very well, and Ike has the advantage in my opinion. I've written a guide with the collaboration of three Luigi mainers, supervised by hippiedude92, which shall be published at our board matchup guide whenever Luigi will be discussed. This guide shall explain how Ike has the 60:40.
Since you have some magical guide written, I am forced to make Luigi Number 19. Before that, however, we must finish the TL discussion.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Huh, I honestly thought it was just an even match-up, but you + Luigi mains say it's 60/40?

I look forward to this.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
hero you can't think it's even just cause Mario is (hope you don't). Mario has more options against Ike than luigi. And ike gimps luigi better than he gimps Ike. He's open for hurt. Hell eruption is easy to use on weegee

Otherwise I wonder why you think it's even now? Anything I can see luigi having Ike deals with much worse with other people. I'm prone to compare him to Mario since they both have to use aerials on ike to win and they have similiar aerials in terms of range/speed. Well i'll leave guilhe to explain this when the time comes

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
God, does every freaking character board with a projectile just have to automatically assume that since Ike is forced to go Melee on them that he's at a disadvantage?

Really the Mario boards were awesome, and we all came to a settled slight advantage for Mario.

I wouldn't be surprised at the least bit if it came down to Ike having a slight advantage on Luigi.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
hero you can't think it's even just cause Mario is (hope you don't).
Course I don't think that. That's like saying Fox is just as hard as Falco is.

(It's slight advantage Mario btw)

Ussi said:
Mario has more options against Ike than luigi. And ike gimps luigi better than he gimps Ike. He's open for hurt. Hell eruption is easy to use on weegee

Otherwise I wonder why you think it's even now? Anything I can see luigi having Ike deals with much worse with other people. I'm prone to compare him to Mario since they both have to use aerials on ike to win and they have similiar aerials in terms of range/speed.
I only saw it as even because Luigi has much better KO moves than Mario does. FJP, (Sliding) F-Smash, and N-air (with a low cieling). And with that in mind, if the Luigi is good at powershielding/spotdodge, he can punish Ike for it.

I figured that would be enough to cause it to be even, but I'm not a Luigi main, so I can be persuaded.

Oh, and Luigi's aerials are worse to combo with than Mario's are due to his horrible aerial mobility. With good DI, Luigi can't do much comboing. So don't worry, I know what I'm talking about.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ike beats Luigi's ground game. Sliding fsmash takes more time than Ike's ftilt since it NEEDS to charge to get distance

45/55 is basically nuetral

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
HeroMystic said:
Oh, and Luigi's aerials are worse to combo with than Mario's are due to his horrible aerial mobility. With good DI, Luigi can't do much comboing. So don't worry, I know what I'm talking about.
:confused: what?

0:00-0:09

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkSaWDo0gzA

Note: I'll post my opinion when I get the chance have a lot of work to do so right now so I'll post today or tomorrow with my opinion.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^I can argue that's just juggling, but I'll just rephrase that Luigi is good at vertical combos, but not horizontal.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
Well we have to point out that there are no real "combos" in brawl but still you have a point in the vertical/horizontal aspect. :D

EDIT: Ankoku won the set do a bit more research before arriving to conclusions. That's just an example vid. If you want to see all of the set just search for it in youtube or go to the Luigi vid thread.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Ok combos don't exist, so therotically Ike can hurt luigi worse than he can hurt him since Ike's attacks do more damage. Any small combos, Ike has a bigger damaging one. (nair to jab) luigi lacks a significant speed advantage to outweight being outranged.

SaltyKracka

Smash Lord
Well we have to point out that there are no real "combos" in brawl but still you have a point in the vertical/horizontal aspect. :D

EDIT: Ankoku won the set do a bit more research before arriving to conclusions. That's just an example vid. If you want to see all of the set just search for it in youtube or go to the Luigi vid thread.
So basically what you posted was a vid of somebody screwing up. Once. Kindly don't ever use this argument again. It really doesn't prove anything, and makes you look rather simplistic.

Locuan

D&D Obsessed
BRoomer
That vid was meant to showcase the 0:00-0:09 section of the vid not the whole video, were Hero was stating that Luigi could not chain an attack. If you READ the previous posts you would have an idea of what I meant.

That video was not intended to prove anything against the Ike matchup.

Top Bottom