• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
No to Villager. Lucario is a character that doesn't have to deal with Villager's standard game which is keepaway. We can avoid Villager's kill moves so easily. Bowling ball the ledge? We don't deal with that. Upsmash? We're usually never above Villager. Sticking with baby Aura Sphere is fine in this matchup. If they pocket it, not a big deal.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
No to Villager. Lucario is a character that doesn't have to deal with Villager's standard game which is keepaway. We can avoid Villager's kill moves so easily. Bowling ball the ledge? We don't deal with that. Upsmash? We're usually never above Villager. Sticking with baby Aura Sphere is fine in this matchup. If they pocket it, not a big deal.
His aerials are extremely difficult to deal with, and his FAir can actually carry us offstage or even kill near the ledge. UAir and DAir are unchallengeable and NAir is a huge combo breaker. Getting anything meaningful done to Villager is extremely difficult.

Croi

Smash Lord
His aerials are extremely difficult to deal with, and his FAir can actually carry us offstage or even kill near the ledge. UAir and DAir are unchallengeable and NAir is a huge combo breaker. Getting anything meaningful done to Villager is extremely difficult.
On that note I might put Villager at -1, but I haven't seen any good Villagers. Pocket is pretty stupid and so are his disjointed/fast aerials.
I don't think that's what -1 means.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
I don't think that's what -1 means.
He's not a complete counter, unlike Fox/ZSS/Sheik he can actually be punished to some extent outside of his aerial play. Bascailly this is another sit in shield until they screw up matchup, much like fox but without the super fast death from sub 10 frame smashes. His grab is also bad, so there's another point against him being overwhelming.

Last edited:

Timbah

Smash Cadet
I meant his recovery is top tier.

Also maybe our match-up againt him is good but dat fair is annoying.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Fair and Bair- You should never be getting killed by these moves unless you're doing something extremely wrong. I consider this move a free damage move.

Dair- Never recover below stage length and you'll be fine.

Uair- Like many characters' uairs, we can't do much about it. However, it's not as threatening or annoying as other characters'.

Nair- A combo breaker that we can actually punish when it's shielded. Nair isn't as annoying as Luigi, Mario, or Yoshi's.

Nothing Villager has is truly a threat to Lucario besides Pocketing AS.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
MU probably goes to Lucario but Villager does have a few tools that Lucario has to worry about like his ability to pocket AS and FP, which forces you to use them sparingly for just punishes and confirms. Other than that, the Villager player should be more worried than you 80% of the time.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Whenever Villager uses sideB, that means we use ours or Aura Sphere. At worst they cancel, at best Villager gets hit. That's assuming you're not close enough to just run in and grab since the rocket has that weird startup animation where it's out but the hitbox doesn't exist until some frames later.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but testing in training mode, it doesn't seem like Villager can pocket the flame from FP. It just goes through Villager(they take no damage).

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
I prefer to DT the Lloid every time.

I'm also stuck in a customs-legal hell, though, so DT is way more tempting against Pushy Lloid then default.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but testing in training mode, it doesn't seem like Villager can pocket the flame from FP. It just goes through Villager(they take no damage).
Really? I could've sworn that you can. I do it all the time whenever I play my brother's Lucario with my Villager and it's very powerful whenever I fire it back. I think FP may have enough lag for me to pocket and unpocket it for an instant punish.

Okay, so here's confirmation that you can pocket from the Villager data thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/blat...-hitbox-frame-data-and-other-research.368614/

Perhaps the timing is a little more precise.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Every time I tried, the flame would just pass through Villager as if they were invincible. The animation for when they pocket an item never happened. I tried it at different ranges (up close and far away with Lucario past 100%).

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Villager cannot pocket FP's flame. It'll go through him since Villager has some invincibility during the Pocket move itself.
FP flame has very strange properties. It counts as a projectile, but it can't be pocketed. Probably because it is a character-bound projectile. Maybe it was originally, but now it can't be? I honestly cannot recall if it could ever be pocketed.

Just be aware that if you DT too much, the Villager can adapt and begin baiting the DT out and punish accordingly, assuming they know they can.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Question:

Did Lucario originate from a video game?

If not is it still primarily a video game character since his franchise originated as a video game?

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Question:

Did Lucario originate from a video game?

If not is it still primarily a video game character since his franchise originated as a video game?
...he is from Pokemon.

Slythe

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ixtalis
3DS FC
3222-6332-1769

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Can someone explain how Lucario's upb works. Seems like some times it has a lot of lag and some times it has barely any.
If you land after finishing ES, it has a lot of lag (like 2 seconds, idk). He's basically kneeling down in this animation. If you land during the move, you get the same amount of lag outside of a few cases.

One being if you aim and land straight down during the move and collide directly with the ground. Lucario's animation will basically be a bounce of the ground in this case. You still get lag, but not nearly as much.

And the last and best one comes either from doing a grounded ES and staying that way until the move ends, or from moving towards the ground at a small enough angle that you smoothly transition from an aerial to grounded ES before the move ends. This one still has lag, but it's the lowest of the bunch. He'll be standing the whole time with this animation.

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Villager not being able to pocket the flame from FP is such a blessing for us.

That feel when you recover using UpB from a terrible angle and get the perfect landing.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Video game first, other media later.
After looking through http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Lucario_(Pokémon) seems like he wasn't in the manga till 2008, with his initial movie + game appearance in 2005.
Pokemon Diamond & Pearl came out 2006.
Lucario & Mystery of Mew came out 2005.

Since Pokemon is now a multimedia franchise now, wouldn't that make Lucario a character that originated from an anime.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
...does it matter? He came from Pokemon regardless of what you think.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
...does it matter? He came from Pokemon regardless of what you think.
Well it gives people who want anime only characters like Ash a base of argument.

Also I wasn't arguing that he wasn't from pokemon, it's very clear he's a pokemon, from pokemon.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I think it's neat Lucario gets something unique from any other character.
The only character to originate from an anime to be in the Smash roster.
It's sorta note worthy.
Potentially precedent setting.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
School, working on school related jobs being hired at the school I go to and practicing a bit on my own in smash.

I can't win a local which is my current dilemma.

edit: We still might lose to Fox even if he lost his Jab Jab >Jab Jab, his kit honestly is pretty well suited against us.

Sheik isn't that bad of a mu, Ness in particular is the one I would worry the most as Lucario.

Last edited:
Top Bottom