• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Link to thread?

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Finding it really hard to convince myself to stay purely a Lucario main after M2 was added. M2 just feels like such a superior spacer with actual fast kill moves.

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Finding it really hard to convince myself to stay purely a Lucario main after M2 was added. M2 just feels like such a superior spacer with actual fast kill moves.
No offense to Mewtwo, but he's so vulnerable in everything he does. Mewtwo lacks a lot of solid combos and is a big lightweight, which contrasts to the small heavyweight that is Lucario.

Spacing and a slow reflector is all Mewtwo really has. Even then he's still pretty bad.

It still feels like this video sums up Mewtwo...

Croi

Smash Lord
What "solid" Smash 4 combos is Mewtwo missing? Utilt to utilt? Grab into follow-up? His combo game isn't any worse than anyone else's.

imo Mewtwo is pretty decent, mid-tier at least. He's got range, he's got frames, he's got kill power to spare, he's got the recovery and he has the gimmicks. His weight, while a lethal weakness, is his only downside. If he weighed as much as Mario, he'd almost be broken.

e: actually, his jab range is bad and his grab range is horrible, so those are also significant weaknesses.

Last edited:

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
I don't find Mewtwo threatening at all because of how exploitable his recovery is. His second jump leaves him vulnerable, once you use Mewtwo, you can easily gauge the distance of his second jump. His jab isn't fast, so he can' t really mash out of pressure. Plus he's big and light, which is in some cases worse than being big and heavy. Lucario can actually pressure Mewtwo, and when we can pressure a character in Smash 4, that character most certainly isn't good.

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
I don't find Mewtwo threatening at all because of how exploitable his recovery is. His second jump leaves him vulnerable, once you use Mewtwo, you can easily gauge the distance of his second jump. His jab isn't fast, so he can' t really mash out of pressure. Plus he's big and light, which is in some cases worse than being big and heavy. Lucario can actually pressure Mewtwo, and when we can pressure a character in Smash 4, that character most certainly isn't good.
His jab is the same speed as Lucario's, but you can actually grab out of it... Also he doesnt get jab infinited by Fox like Lucario does.

His kit is overall faster than Lucarios in pretty much every move except Dair.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Warning Received
holy **** someone actually thinking mewtwo is better than lucario LOL

jesus leave these boards already

Steam

Smash Hero
hold up and away, congrats you just DI'd out of everything mewtwo can do. if his Uair had a good hitbox in front like falcon he'd be scary, but he's not.

also his neutral game is ass

IMO mewtwo is like bottom 5

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I just wish Mewtwo was better than what he is now...

But that's for a different board. There have been too many flamewars that went out of control on the Mewtwo thread about his viability and the last thing I want to see is another.

If you were expecting a top-tier character, honestly your expectations were too high. I was hoping he would've been solid mid-tier, but I guess I can't even have that pleasantry.

So will I use him in tourneys? Probably not.

Will I use him for fun and friendlies? Yes. Hell yes.

Typhlosion09

Smash Cadet
NNID
Typhlosion09
3DS FC
0473-9119-9001
I think Mewtwo is balanced just fine. Lucario may be better but most would say Mewtwo is definitely NOT bottom 5
If looking at it tierwise, I would say:
:4mewtwo:= C+
:4lucario:= B
Although he has only been out for like 10 days now. Nobody realized how good Diddy was until like 2 months after the 3ds game came out. We will just have to wait and see.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Flamewars over mewtwo's viability? People really wanted him to be top tier huh...
Pretty much. The entire board was split into 3 groups:
1. The people who wanted him to be top-tier really badly
2. The people who would be happy with him being around mid-tier, but wouldn't mind if he was higher
3. The people who wanted him to be low tier because they didn't want an oversaturization of their character and only dedicated mains would play Mewtwo

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
Pretty much. The entire board was split into 3 groups:
1. The people who wanted him to be top-tier really badly
2. The people who would be happy with him being around mid-tier, but wouldn't mind if he was higher
3. The people who wanted him to be low tier because they didn't want an oversaturization of their character and only dedicated mains would play Mewtwo
...Give it time and the herd will be thinned out.

Only those who accept his flaws as a character and are willing to make him work will stick around. It's particularly why I stayed away from the Lucario boards in the early smash days. Too many people sitting around and playing theory fighter, as if there 4 glory results actually matter.

In reality, all that matters are the top and mid level players that decide to put there tournament lifes in his hands, and what results come of it. That's what will decide his viability. Anyone below that playing him is really just determining his ease of use. It is also ease of use that will determine how much he is played by the masses.

Goodra has been confirmed to leave Ash's party. :( It's Pidgeot all over again.
Ash would be such a ****ing beast if he just stopped giving away his best pokemon. ;w; smh

Last edited:

Nysyr

Smash Journeyman
Ash would be such a ****ing beast if he just stopped giving away his best pokemon. ;w; smh
Meh, Always been wondering if he'd ever pick up a Riolu after the DP episodes. Maybe in Gen 6 there's a chance he might get one due to Mega Lucario being added.

Every time a space opens in his team, there's a chance I guess.

Out of boredom I decided to MM for some 5/6IV Dream ball shiny Riolus; hopefully less than 400 each for a Timid/Adamant one.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
hold up and away, congrats you just DI'd out of everything mewtwo can do. if his Uair had a good hitbox in front like falcon he'd be scary, but he's not.

also his neutral game is ***

IMO mewtwo is like bottom 5
What?!

He's definitely not bottom 5, he's decent but welcome to most of the cast. All in the decent area outside of like 2-4 characters, and a chunk that are a bit too good.

About a combo game, meh, most characters only get 2-3 hits max guaranteed, but that's just smash in general.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
I've spent some time trying to learn Mewtwo, after spending some time thinking about it I still think he's bottom 10. I am really disappointed that the Shadow Ball charge hit boxes are gone. Aura Sphere Charge to Jump Canceled USmash is one of Lucario's best tools in this game. Why they would deny Mewtwo that is frustrating.
  • He's light.
  • He's big. Most attacks leave him vulnerable in at least two directions. Chuck a projectile under an airborne Mewtwo and he really can't do anything unless he already used Confusion.
  • His combo game is sub-par.
Let's wait until the next balance patch though.

I am so happy Lucario's landing is better. RCO hateeeeeee.

Timbah

Smash Cadet
So, on the topic of Mewtwo, have you guys seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKq-5VgQa0

His combo potential doesn't actually look that bad. I do feel like we have way better tools in general, but wish we had a bit more jab-lock potential.

Like, can you imagine if the first hit of d-air could jab-lock?

Last edited:

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
So, on the topic of Mewtwo, have you guys seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diKq-5VgQa0

His combo potential doesn't actually look that bad. I do feel like we have way better tools in general, but wish we had a bit more jab-lock potential.

Like, can you imagine if the first hit of d-air could jab-lock?
Hmm we probably should look into trip and footstool possibilities for Lucario. NAir randomly trips. I wonder why though.

The Pika footstool infinite is kinda gross, but it makes me wonder what possibilities we may have with FTilt hit 1 and DAir hit 1. If there's enough time for a footstool... We may have a AS setup.

Last edited:

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
For what it's worth, baby aura spheres are capable of jab locking when players miss their tech.

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Hmm we probably should look into trip and footstool possibilities for Lucario. NAir randomly trips. I wonder why though.
That's because the NAir's angle has a "Sakurai Angle" (or 361°).
it's a bit messy to explain, but in short words, for every move that has this property:
  • For aerial foes, the knockback angle will always be 45°.
  • For grounded foes:
    • If the move has below 60 units of knockback value: it will have an angle of 0°, and has a 11% chance to trip the target.
    • If the move has above 88 units of knockback value: it will have an angle of 37°.
    • Any moves that are between the range 60 ~ 88: the angle will be calculated linearly (between 0° and 37°).

The moves which has this property for lucario are:
  • F-Tilt, Hit 2.
  • F-Smash, both sweet and sour spots.
  • Fthrow
  • Up Throw upper (for nearby foes who aren't grabbed, like in a 2v2 match)
  • NAir, both hits.
  • BAir
  • DAir, hit 2.
  • Baby AS.
I have to put clear, that this angle varies on the knockback units, and this depends heavily on the strength of the blow and the current foe's damage.

For what it's worth, baby aura spheres are capable of jab locking when players miss their tech.
Maybe all this moves can jab-lock at really low aura.
Hope this answer your question, and maybe this can help you find some interesting combos :4lucario:

Last edited:

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
So what's this about a Skype group? Would love to join. Not sure how to get the link on the front page working.

Also, wanna share this cause it's too awesome not to. :D

Commission from http://www.furaffinity.net/user/fatdrake
Yoooooo TK, haven't seen you since the irc days.

Just add me on skype and i can put you in the group, it's AlexoftheAura

Last edited:

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
It still feels like this video sums up Mewtwo...
^ I agree with this :u

I honestly didn't care if he was bottom again, I'm just super happy hes in a game I can play.
I'm sure I'm not the only one who is enthralled Mewtwo/other is playable regardless of being bad o:
( you know dat feel <3 )

I've ended up gravitating to the most garbage Tier'd characters in more games than I can count, but I loved EVERY SINGLE second I was even allowed to play someone I loved and I think that matters quite alot more than winning :]

Also,
hello again my Zen Lucario Social *O*

Idk if anyone here remembers me,
but I left Smash Boards for quite a long time due to the stigma / " HURR LUCARIO OP BAN NAO ! " + I'm very shy ><;

You guys/gurls seem very chill, so if you'll alllow me... , I'd like to be a part of Social if that's ok ^^;

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
0/10 Lucario not A(rura) tier

To be honest, high-mid is a perfect place for him since he isn`t hard countered by anyone (though a couple MUs are unpleasant) and does well against a good chunk of the cast. Zard`s placement makes cry though.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
everyone sleeps on lucario and my boy DK its ok tho I love being an underdog

Also why is ZSS so high she has a terrible grab and bad kill moves besides the risky up B, i haven't played too many good ones but i still think shes overrated

Last edited:

Croi

Smash Lord
everyone sleeps on lucario and my boy DK its ok tho I love being an underdog

Also why is ZSS so high she has a terrible grab and bad kill moves besides the risky up B, i haven't played too many good ones but i still think shes overrated
Same reason why Sheik's top tier: great recovery and an easy time racking up damage. One or two kill moves is enough, especially when dsmash combos into upB.

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Same reason why Sheik's top tier: great recovery and an easy time racking up damage. One or two kill moves is enough, especially when dsmash combos into upB.
Can't you DI out of it though? I've definitely gotten out of it a few times by DIing down and left or right

Top Bottom