• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
"I was fine when you told me you played Wario. I was fine when you told me you played Doc. But the second you told me you played Lucario, I just lost all respect for you".
-Some Douchebag, 2015

KakuCP9

What does it mean to be strong?
Unless you're a PM shoto dog whose flashy combos and silly system win the hearts of the people.
In all seriousness, sm4sh luc defiantly takes quite a bit skill to use properly. It mostly people being silly.

AlexoftheAura

yaylatias.gif
NNID
AlexoftheAura
The only people who are actually complaining about Lucario are bad wifi kids and pot fillers, any player worth their salt is going to understand that he's not a braindead character who "rewards bad play" so don't take it to heart.

Browny

Smash Hater
Lol I was just dropping by to say that this week our scenes stream commentator, who may I add does not play smash 4, said that Lucario is a stupid and disrespectful broken character.

I remember that **** when brawl just game out. Theres just an endless supply of bad kids, mad at video games. They make me laugh.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
It's funny to see people whine about how broken Lucario is but no one plays him. It's just when someone does good with him..."ZOMG NERF PLZ." I've yet to see any good Lucarios where I live, and I certainly do not consider myself good.

Tl;dr: cry more, it amuses me.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
The only people who are actually complaining about Lucario are bad wifi kids and pot fillers, any player worth their salt is going to understand that he's not a braindead character who "rewards bad play" so don't take it to heart.
The thing is, even players worth their salt (and full of it) complain about him. When I have this argument with fellow smashers, they don't say he rewards bad play, they just say he's an awful gimmick character that has the "stupid Aura with Rage stacking". Which is always the reason they lost, not because they just don't know how to play the MU...

One of my buds said something like "Lucario doesn't need a nerf, because the Aura is all he's got. I feel bad for Lucario players in that all they have going for them is some stupid mechanic."

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
One of my buds said something like "Lucario doesn't need a nerf, because the Aura is all he's got. I feel bad for Lucario players in that all they have going for them is some stupid mechanic."
This person deserves a gold star for understanding the truth.

Last edited:

DomBadZZZ

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DomBadZZZ
Solid play, i liked your movement alot but I dont think you knew the match-up too well.

1) Stop the up-Bs across stage if he was better he would have punished those hard, and be less predictable with them when returning to the stage, he began to catch on at the end.
2) I saw you approching olimar when you had high aura because you thought you had to and it lead to your death, if hes just going to sit back and side-B you then take that little bit of damage and be patient all you will need is on hit or AS to rock his world.
3) The best approach/kill option in the match up is getting a pikman on you and using it to double team when you want. I saw you use this a couple of times but not enough as it is one of our best tools in the match up.
4) finally when you had him off stage there were some perfect times to turn around and charge AS on the ledge. Especially with the max aura you have playing against olimar, it would shut off all of his ledge options (if he does normal or jump to get off they will get caught and you can JC Usmash, if they roll then just shoot the AS at them, if they regrab the ledge you can always roll back and shoot the AS so that they are vulnerable and the AS with cover them on the ledge) and can lead to kills.

Kick his butt next time!

_D._

Smash Apprentice
Thanks. Did you watch the diddy one too? He was #1 in Gainesville and was constantly beating my states best ike, ryo.

Last edited:

Grizzlpaw

Rawr~ ♪
3DS FC
1289-9519-4206
Kinda sucks that Lucario doesent get alot respect in the smash community.

Pssh, Lucario don't care about none of that.

He's a doge, and he punches things with his fluffy sparkle fists of fury

Everyone else is just jealous, they wish they could be as fab as us~

:006:

Timbah

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, so tomorrow I'll be attending my first tournament and I'm kind of nervous. It's nothing big, I live in Costa Rica so there isn't a huge Smash community or anything.

I usually just play against my brother, who plays Fox. Obviously, that means I'm not very match-up savvy. My secondaries are R.O.B. and the Puff. Any advice on when I should switch?

Also, which stages are best for Lucario? Which should I ban? I play on the 3DS with my brother (yuck), so my options are usually limited to FD, Battlefield and Yoshi's, so I haven't the slightest clue.

Finally, I've got most of the tech I know for Lucario down (e.g. b-reverse, turn-around b, short-hop to first hit of d-air to side-b). However, I can't seem to do a wavebounce at all, and I've had trouble finding footage of one to see how it's supposed to look. Any help you guys can give me?

Thanks in advance guys :3

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Hey guys, so tomorrow I'll be attending my first tournament and I'm kind of nervous. It's nothing big, I live in Costa Rica so there isn't a huge Smash community or anything.

I usually just play against my brother, who plays Fox. Obviously, that means I'm not very match-up savvy. My secondaries are R.O.B. and the Puff. Any advice on when I should switch?

Also, which stages are best for Lucario? Which should I ban? I play on the 3DS with my brother (yuck), so my options are usually limited to FD, Battlefield and Yoshi's, so I haven't the slightest clue.

Finally, I've got most of the tech I know for Lucario down (e.g. b-reverse, turn-around b, short-hop to first hit of d-air to side-b). However, I can't seem to do a wavebounce at all, and I've had trouble finding footage of one to see how it's supposed to look. Any help you guys can give me?

Thanks in advance guys :3
For Stages, it really depends on the MU, but from what I've seen, Battlefield is Lucario's best stage because it has the largest blast lines and is useful with the platforms. If they ban BF, take them to either FD, Smashville, or Duck Hunt if it's a counter pick. Never go to Delfino, T&C, or Halberd. Ban those immediately, the blast lines are too small.

As for characters. Lucario does not fare well against the likes of Captain Falcon, Sheik. The former can kill him super-early and the latter can combo him to hell. ROB could be useful as his lasers and gyro can halt any momentum those characters get.

As for wave bouncing, I suck at that, too, so I got nothing...

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Last edited:

Timbah

Smash Cadet
For Stages, it really depends on the MU, but from what I've seen, Battlefield is Lucario's best stage because it has the largest blast lines and is useful with the platforms. If they ban BF, take them to either FD, Smashville, or Duck Hunt if it's a counter pick. Never go to Delfino, T&C, or Halberd. Ban those immediately, the blast lines are too small.

As for characters. Lucario does not fare well against the likes of Captain Falcon, Sheik. The former can kill him super-early and the latter can combo him to hell. ROB could be useful as his lasers and gyro can halt any momentum those characters get.

As for wave bouncing, I suck at that, too, so I got nothing...

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Thank you! This about the stages definitely will help.

I initially thought that Lucario would fare well against Sheik, because, even if he gets combo'd to hell, Shiek won't be able to get the kill so Lucario can go ham on Aura. Is that wrong? Definitely see what you mean with the Cap.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Thank you! This about the stages definitely will help.

I initially thought that Lucario would fare well against Sheik, because, even if he gets combo'd to hell, Shiek won't be able to get the kill so Lucario can go ham on Aura. Is that wrong? Definitely see what you mean with the Cap.
The thing is, yes, Sheik will have a REALLY hard time to kill you, but she also gives you absolutely no room to breathe. I've played really good Sheiks in tourneys and, trust me,there's a biiiiiig difference between saying the MU is good for Lucario and playing that MU. It's not fun, it's not easy, and it's certainly stressful when you're at 130 and Shiek is still at 30.

Also the Sheik I fought could hit fair or needles into Bouncing Fish 95% of the time, so there's that...

Timbah

Smash Cadet
The thing is, yes, Sheik will have a REALLY hard time to kill you, but she also gives you absolutely no room to breathe. I've played really good Sheiks in tourneys and, trust me,there's a biiiiiig difference between saying the MU is good for Lucario and playing that MU. It's not fun, it's not easy, and it's certainly stressful when you're at 130 and Shiek is still at 30.

Also the Sheik I fought could hit fair or needles into Bouncing Fish 95% of the time, so there's that...
Yikes, sounds painful DX

Here's hoping there'll be many skillful people at the tournament. Honestly, I don't know anything about the Smash community here, but taking a read at the rules it seemed like the TO knows what he's doing, so there won't be a items-on, 4-player free-for-all with random characters or something (which actually sounds hilarious to do as a joke tournament).

I'm excited :D

Last edited:

Pitbuller26

Smash Lord
Sheik is certainly doable with Lucario but you have to be aware of all her kill options at all times and be ready to intercept her since we can almost never punish Sheik.

ShinnyMetal

FRABJOUS
NNID
ShinyMetal
3DS FC
2148-8188-7632
ohai.....

I think Lucario might be a secondary for the funsies of it. I might not need him in all honesty but he looks like fun...even though I'm balls with him so far.

Neiroa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neiroa
Hey people, I don't know if it's just me, but I have the impression that the hitstun of the Uthrow was reduced.

Since the 1.0.6 patch, I have played sometimes on the 1vs1 "on glory" and also against some CPU Offline and it seems the Uthrow to Fair combo is not as easy to do as before --> People and CPU are dodging or jumping out of it just after the Uthrow more often than usual.
I tested also level 9 CPU on attack mode in training mode, and they can also dodge the Uthrow to Nair with both characters at 0%

Before the patch, these combos were hard to dodge (the best way was DI), But now... Maybe it's just me (or the 3ds), maybe someone can confirm. I hope I'm wrong because it's looks like a nerf of one of our best moves...
(I was playing on the 3ds version only)

Last edited:

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Hey people, I don't know if it's just me, but I have the impression that the hitstun of the Uthrow was reduced.

Since the 1.0.6 patch, I have played sometimes on the 1vs1 "on glory" and also against some CPU Offline and it seems the Uthrow to Fair combo is not as easy to do as before --> People and CPU are dodging or jumping out of it just after the Uthrow more often than usual.
I tested also level 9 CPU on attack mode in training mode, and they can also dodge the Uthrow to Nair with both characters at 0%

Before the patch, these combos were hard to dodge (the best way was DI), But now... Maybe it's just me (or the 3ds), maybe someone can confirm. I hope I'm wrong because it's looks like a nerf of one of our best moves...
(I was playing on the 3ds version only)
I can confirm you, and it's unaffected, what it really changed was the computer AI, where is smarter and tries to dodge potential combos and KO's.
The upthrow hasn't been changed, maybe you faced people with good reflexes or something, but it's still the same. Don't worry!

MandL27

Smash Cadet
Was it @ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo ????

He is some douche that hates Lucario :teeth:
I've seen a few people that are like that. Usually their argument is that Lucario rewards bad gameplay, but my argument is that it takes good gameplay to survive at high percents.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
I've seen a few people that are like that. Usually their argument is that Lucario rewards bad gameplay, but my argument is that it takes good gameplay to survive at high percents.
Yes, Lucario rewards bad gameplay BUT on the opponent's part. Letting him live past 150% sounds like a personal problem.

Neiroa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Neiroa
I can confirm you, and it's unaffected, what it really changed was the computer AI, where is smarter and tries to dodge potential combos and KO's.
The upthrow hasn't been changed, maybe you faced people with good reflexes or something, but it's still the same. Don't worry!
Ok cool thanks, I forgot the AI has been changed. That explains everything ^^
In "On glory" matchs, I also forgot the possibility of online lags.

Last edited:

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
ZeRo's actually going to at a big Midwest tourney I'm planning on going to in May. So if I end up facing him in pools, friendlies, or bracket, I'm gonna choose Lucario and see how he reacts
???
Revelations?
Ha!
Funny, that's my homestate in Colorado.

With any luck, i'll see you there. B)

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
Was it @ TSM ZeRo TSM ZeRo ????

He is some douche that hates Lucario :teeth:
Actually not even my quote.

Though, I've said that Lucario gets benefited from being a punching bag then abusing rage/aura to sweep the match. You don't have to actually play the neutral most of the match, just focus on what can kill you or not. Lucario is vastly different from this game than he was in Brawl, where I much liked his design from a playing standpoint and as a opponent, too. Doesn't help that neither Junebug or Trela like current Lucario.

ZeRo's actually going to at a big Midwest tourney I'm planning on going to in May. So if I end up facing him in pools, friendlies, or bracket, I'm gonna choose Lucario and see how he reacts
I literally won't care.

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice
Brawl Lucario>Sm4sh lucario from a playstyle stand point imo. I've actually started to play more Greninja than Lucario because of this :/

Karnu

yaylatios.gif
NNID
Karnuu
3DS FC
3952-7040-9841
Actually not even my quote.

Though, I've said that Lucario gets benefited from being a punching bag then abusing rage/aura to sweep the match. You don't have to actually play the neutral most of the match, just focus on what can kill you or not. Lucario is vastly different from this game than he was in Brawl, where I much liked his design from a playing standpoint and as a opponent, too. Doesn't help that neither Junebug or Trela like current Lucario.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
What's going on-

Oh.

Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh.

So it begins...

Top Bottom