• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Lucario Social: Aura Dog Days of Summer

Eeveecario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Eeveecario
Alright. Do you have any stage suggestions.
Mmm...
if omega-stages are available, pick Wily's Fortress or any with far Blast Zones and walls. This will keep you alive longer and exploit more of the aura.
Else, you can counter pick Duck Hunt's Stage if you're confident with your off-stage game (blast zones are closer here, I think).
If you have projectile advantage, use FD. Else pick any stage you're confident.

Last edited:

Pentao

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I like stages with platforms against most characters, simply because Lucario doesn't have a hard time sharking opponents.

A stage like Battlefield isn't hard for him to get in some extremely safe f-airs or u-airs, and he can always poke through platforms with u-tilt or up smash, which lead to more pressure. It still depends on the opponent though. I'd take Robin to FD or Smashville any day over Battlefield, simply to prevent Robin from using platforms as cover for Arcfire.

Though if you're willing to use customs, Ride the Wind opens up picking things like Lylat without as much fear, because you can recover on stage and typically, get minimally punished most of the time. It's very easy to fly in unpredictable flight patterns with it, and your opponent has to deal with the lip, while you can usually avoid it completely.

Snaring Aura Sphere is fine on stages that are relatively small too, as it doesn't give your opponent many ways to get away from the snare, and Piercing Aura Sphere does fine on big stages, due to it's sniping potential.

Loota

Smash Journeyman
There's a strong correlation between what would be considered a well made, tournament viable game and the number or frequency of tournaments taking place. The fact that Brawl is not any different now than it was a year ago only serves to fuel my point.
I doubt you can just ignore the 6 years Brawl had amazing numbers throughout and the situation with Smash 4 being in the "new 'n' cool" spotlight right now. Even Melee took a massive dip to nothingness when Brawl came out and still nobody would argue the game's competitiveness, let alone all the different fighters that have been somehow replaced by a newer iteration in their respective series. I only wrote one year ago because I'm thinking the game still had remarkable number of tournaments going on vs. the situation just now, I do not see how that can turn. I do not believe that it's going to rise to the levels of it's golden years but suggesting that it would practically just cease to be is taking it too fas as well. Your argument might hold weight in some situations but just tossing it around like that by itself isn't going to convince anyone.

Brawl isn't perfect but neither is any Smash to date, it's flaws may just be the most reconizable of the bunch. I can't even count the number of times some "professional" gaming media sites have decicated articles on bashing tripping and proceeding to let it alone devalue the whole game to obscurity (and usually mentioning Project M as a "fixed" Brawl, yuck). Derpadoo.

But yeah, I don't necessarily try to change your views or anything, I'm totally ok to agree to disagree on this topic even if your signature makes my imagination pet puppy weep.

On the matter of stages, I almost always prefer Battlefield over anything else, I feel really comfortable with the platforms. It's got the second largest blast zones behind Kongo Jungle 64 too which is a universal yes to us. I don't actually have any other notable preferences alongside that, I'm pretty much okay with anything except for Lylat which makes recovering on stage a bit more unreliable, thanks to it's tilting and slopes which happen to eat our Aura Spheres too, as Ulevo said. Halberd is iffy too with it's incredibly low blastzones which usually harms us more than they help.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I regularly play a Falcon and my initial thoughts were that I need to play smaller stages to keep him from having free space to move. I'm starting to see though that the larger the stage the better simply due to the fact that if you can't rest outside of his dash attack or dash grab zone then you're screwed if the Falcon is good, and stages like Smashville are too small for that.

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario
Warning Received
I don't think any cp's help Lucario more than hurt
also this ulevo guy comes off as a huge tard, dunno why you're arguing with him

don't get how you can not like brawl but take s4 seriously

Ulevo

Smash Master
I don't think any cp's help Lucario more than hurt
also this ulevo guy comes off as a huge tard, dunno why you're arguing with him

don't get how you can not like brawl but take s4 seriously
Smash 4 isn't littered with problems. It's pretty simple.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Awwwwww, I hate when my source of amusement is taken away.

MythTrainerInfinity

Smash Champion
NNID
MTInfinity
3DS FC
2363-5671-9607
Awwwwww, I hate when my source of amusement is taken away.
Goodra for life.

We need to think about kill setups more... How many characters have guaranteed kill setups like ASC to JC USmash?

Am I the only Lucario that will sometimes get rid of a fully charged Aura Sphere to give me more ASC to JCU options (especially vs. characters with reflectors)?

I also want to play with DTilt and first hit of DAir to landing more.

And shield DI... Which is basically DI, but you move in held a direction when your shield is whacked. Makes stuff like Link's NAir easier to grab.

Is @ Sunnysunny Sunnysunny a girl? I get the strangest vibe that sunny is a girl.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Am I the only Lucario that will sometimes get rid of a fully charged Aura Sphere to give me more ASC to JCU options (especially vs. characters with reflectors)?
Oh, I do that all the time. I also find letting loose fully-charged Aura Spheres are great at mind games. The whole "gimmick" about Aura Sphere's is that you can charge it in midair unlike Samus. Also, it only takes about 2 seconds to charge, so it's no big deal if you miss 80% of them. (Which I do all the time)

Ulevo

Smash Master
Goodra for life.

We need to think about kill setups more... How many characters have guaranteed kill setups like ASC to JC USmash?

I also want to play with DTilt and first hit of DAir to landing more.

And shield DI... Which is basically DI, but you move in held a direction when your shield is whacked. Makes stuff like Link's NAir easier to grab.

Is @ Sunnysunny Sunnysunny a girl? I get the strangest vibe that sunny is a girl.
I won't get rid of a fully charged Aura Sphere, but I'll refrain from charging it fully even when I could in favor of giving me more wavebounce set ups. I've also incorporated down air to force palm in my games as my primary kill set up against characters it works on reliably, which is a decent amount. Something I do need to work on more is true combo set ups from platforms.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I've not fully charged it fir mind games, start charging it, they think you will use it, then I run in and kill them with a force Palm.

Rysir

The shorts wearing blue anubis
NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
I like charging aura sphere to max then proceed to never or very very rarely use it. The panic it causes for those with reflectors is amazing!

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
I like charging aura sphere to max then proceed to never or very very rarely use it. The panic it causes for those with reflectors is amazing!
If I had a nickel for every time a For Glory Fox used the reflector the second I started charging AS, I could buy a GameCube Adapter, a Lucario Amiibo, and Sakurai's car.

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
If I had a nickel for every time a For Glory Fox used the reflector the second I started charging AS, I could buy a GameCube Adapter, a Lucario Amiibo, and Sakurai's car.
Or just buy a ton of chocolate, that works too!

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Speaking of chocolate, I had a legitimate nergasm when I found out that if you beat Classic Mode as Lucario, the ending picture during the credits shows the Villager holding a chocolate bar next to a Lucario.

I love you, Sakurai.

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Chocolate addiction is canon!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Speaking of chocolate, I had a legitimate nergasm when I found out that if you beat Classic Mode as Lucario, the ending picture during the credits shows the Villager holding a chocolate bar next to a Lucario.

I love you, Sakurai.
I'm 100% sure that was a reference to the movie.

Rysir

NNID
Rhysir
3DS FC
3394-4486-9387
Oh, absolutely. That's actually my favorite Pokémon movie (although I might get some flack by not saying the first one with Mewtwo is the best one :/ )
This aint the mewtwo boards, why would you get flack?

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
This aint the mewtwo boards, why would you get flack?
I'm talking about the Pokémon community in general. It seems for like a third of the community if it ain't Kanto it's garbage.

It's practically tabu if you say the First Movie wasn't the saddest moment ever...

Ulevo

Smash Master
curious but what was the appealing factor for Smash 4 for you to like it?
Reliable combo system. It's akin to Street Fighter in that it's not too extensive, but it's present. Lots of character play style diversity. Melee had a lot of rush down, and while I love Melee, it's nice to see a variety of styles one can play. The balance is also really good comparatively. It's not perfect of course, but any character say within the top 15 can reliably and consistently place well in tournament. I also like how certain characters were flushed out. Lucario's a good example. His move set feels much better mechanically and thematically compared to the Brawl counterpart.

Like, Brawl had some merits, it's just that they were overshadowed by the laundry list of problems. Smash 4 doesn't have these, so I enjoy it. Anyway, those are just some of the main appeals.

BugCatcherWill

Smash Ace
NNID
BugCatcherWill
3DS FC
4098-4993-0977
Reliable combo system. It's akin to Street Fighter in that it's not too extensive, but it's present. Lots of character play style diversity. Melee had a lot of rush down, and while I love Melee, it's nice to see a variety of styles one can play. The balance is also really good comparatively. It's not perfect of course, but any character say within the top 15 can reliably and consistently place well in tournament. I also like how certain characters were flushed out. Lucario's a good example. His move set feels much better mechanically and thematically compared to the Brawl counterpart.

Like, Brawl had some merits, it's just that they were overshadowed by the laundry list of problems. Smash 4 doesn't have these, so I enjoy it. Anyway, those are just some of the main appeals.
That's a neat perspective. I always envision Melee as Basketball and Smash 4 as Chess

Basketball is crazy fast, has huge hype moments and crowd outbursts, with the tide of the game changing in an instant.

Chess is more on approaching, getting "small combos" that rack up to a win, with a more defensive strategy, although going on the offensive isn't bad, either.

Although both are extremely fun and enjoyable to play

Last edited:

Kami~

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kamicario

are you ****ting me lol. lucarios brawl moveset and functionality were extremely unique and fun to use with how the moves linked together. anyone here who played brawl can tell you that. I like his s4 moveset as well but some things feel very off and clunky

lol at variety, brawl had just as much if not more now that a lot of the cast have typical dthrow/upthrow combos and repetitive characters.

I love s4 and I love brawl but your reasons for not liking brawl are stupid

Ulevo

Smash Master
are you ****ting me lol. lucarios brawl moveset and functionality were extremely unique and fun to use with how the moves linked together. anyone here who played brawl can tell you that. I like his s4 moveset as well but some things feel very off and clunky

lol at variety, brawl had just as much if not more now that a lot of the cast have typical dthrow/upthrow combos and repetitive characters.

I love s4 and I love brawl but your reasons for not liking brawl are stupid
You are entitled to your opinion, even if it is naive. I see no variety in a roster that's dominated by Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, and 8:2 match ups due to balance oversights like grab release infinites and 0-death set ups.

Last edited:

LimitCrown

Smash Ace
NNID
LimitCrown
3DS FC
0903-2850-8324
Although I can see why Melee is considered to be better than Brawl and Smash 4 by other people, I don't really like the game as much. Besides, Melee has its own problems, but those seem to be excused more often by others. For example, defensive options for many characters are generally much weaker than they are in the latest games. You can't air-dodge whenever you are in a tumbling animation and your air dodge puts you in a special falling animation, which prevents you from using it again.

Last edited:

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I dont actually like most of the movies mainly because Ash just kills it for me every time, he's just a huge dangus lol I do sort of like the Lucario movie, it had its moments. The best they've ever done with anime was Origins, thats honestly how the anime should have been since day one. Every region would have a new trainer to follow their adventures on (kinda like the magna). Not just the same bland character who hasn't changed since his debut, he doesn't learn from his mistakes and he doesn't even win the Pokemon league. I would much rather have the anime be more like Origins or the actual magna, either one would be great.
tumblr_mtbxf2XwPj1redq6oo1_500.jpg

Also I do like the whole chocolate thing with Lucario, I dont know why.

Sunnysunny

Blue-nubis
Premium
I like it too~
It's just a simple thing, but for a character that's normally portrayed as incredibly disciplined, and stoic, the little glances of his ~sweet~ side make them all the more enjoyable.

I'm a little bit of a sucker for tsunderes. :>

*saves picture*

Last edited:
Top Bottom