• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

~Lucario Match-Up Chart/Discussion- Rotation Eighteen: Olimar~

tedward2000

Smash Champion
So um...yea.
G&W is close or is well over past done. (Get on it Jeepy!!)
Meaning, Ness is next. Lets be nice, and chill. And try to have a discussion without fire.

No more fighting.
This next week is now officially National No Bickering Week.
Bicker free for 7 days, lets see if we can do it!
(5 gold stars if we can)
-t2

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
uhh... yeah .... there are so many pages im not even going to read im just going to ask...

how is link a disdvantage in any way???

im just curious...

Nines~Tempest

Smash Cadet
Ness loses there >_>

Link doesn't have as much range (fighting range, not projectile range), he's slower, and gimpable as ****. Lucario gimp's like ****. There *says the ex-Link main*

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
heeeeeeeeeeeey at first i was like WHAT i just got robbed but then i was like awwwwww he gave me a thank you :>

so all is good now

Clevr

Smash Apprentice
Lucario is at a disadvantage to Game and Watch. The write-up looks good.

The thread needs to move on.

Hmmm...just a quick thing to remember. I knew this guy named 5150. He was a complete jerk, but admittedly he's the sole reason I decided to get so good at Melee. However, he got banned from Smashboards entirely for posting too much crap towards people. This is my last warning.

It's OK Jeepy, we're all pretty busy right now. Well...maybe some of us more than others, but you get the idea.

Hmmmm...I guess we'll move on to Ness as soon as Jeepy changes the rotation name, eh?

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
my thoughts, ness will spam a certain string because they think it impossible to punish.

they will SH f-air/b-air to DJ f-air to d-air it has no lag, and is hard to punish, so the player will use that string as many times as possible. im not entirely sure how to break the string, because i was sandbagging while i was gaining this info but im guessing that shielding the first two parts, and than dropping shield to pivot an up smash will out-range/prioritise his down air, but thats what i learned sand bagging 2 games with a pretty decent ness player

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
heeeeeeeeeeeey at first i was like WHAT i just got robbed but then i was like awwwwww he gave me a thank you :>

so all is good now
<333333!

my thoughts, ness will spam a certain string because they think it impossible to punish.

they will SH f-air/b-air to DJ f-air to d-air it has no lag, and is hard to punish, so the player will use that string as many times as possible. im not entirely sure how to break the string, because i was sandbagging while i was gaining this info but im guessing that shielding the first two parts, and than dropping shield to pivot an up smash will out-range/prioritise his down air, but thats what i learned sand bagging 2 games with a pretty decent ness player
We're not quite on Ness yet. I'm still finishing up with G&W. We'll be on Ness tomorrow.

Thanks for your input.

adeptx

Smash Rookie
Maybe i'm missing something, but if G&W tries to float you with Uair can't you just spam Dair? It will mess up his timing (slightly) when you stop falling, and as long as you stay alert for other moves I dont know how he could punish it.

Timbers

check me out
they only do it to mess with your timing, mindgame you, scare you, and refresh their stale moves
they do it for all those reasons, as well as juggle and force you to the sides of them where they're the most powerful.

It's such a gay move.

anyways Ness week. I dont have a lot of experience against them.

Browny

Smash Hater
Ness has been my main since 64 and i still use him a lot in brawl, i think i got some decent experience here :)

I think ill start on Ness' strengths, im sure others can write stuff about lucarios strengths lol

Ness' best strength in this matchup is his bthrow of doom. DI'ing it only makes it worse, and KO's at about 115% fresh with a few grab pummels , dont ever expect a good ness to let you live past that number. and getting a grab with ness is extremely easy, his dash grab is one of the best in the game. at low %'s, dont get caught in PK fire or youre going to take 32% + from the pk fire, dthrow, nair combo

Ness also has some nasty ways of getting low % kills off stage. obviously theres his dair (you wont survive it even if you are hit at 0%) but he has a usmash stage spike for anyone who hangs on the ledge for too long, PKT can stagespike, and dodging PKT2 is easier said than done. If those werent enough, his bair, uair, and tippered fsmash KO really early. Ness has the best options for mid-low % KO's in the game imo, and of course a guaranteed throw KO at med-high.

his Oos options are great as well. He can bair oos faster than you can see, and nair + fair are extremely fast, high priority that will always connect against an average sized character like Lucario.

Tomkraven

Smash Journeyman
Ness is a character that packs quite a punch. In first place, he has the pkfire which will lock for sometime if it hits and that will give him the oportunity to combo us. His dash attack has a very long range and his grab game is very dangerous especially after 100%+. His forward smash has a very decent range and it can be tippered which will mean death past 70%. He has a quite decent edgeguarding arsenal that goes from PK flash to PK fire and his spike.

Their approaches vary from SH PKfire to SH Fair/ nair/ bair(which can be sweetspotted). The can combo very well with his grabs and tilts specially ftilt and dtilt. Also he has the PSI magnet that will absorb any energy projectile including forcepalm with denies one of lucarios great assets: aura sphere and specially BAS spamming.

Timbers

check me out
dont ever expect a good ness to let you live past that number
It's actually really easy to avoid his grab lol.

The only time Ness is ever going to approach you on the ground is if he's trying to grab you, so it's quite telegraphed. Plus Lucario's entire game is keeping the fight midrange. Bthrow will be used to kill, but don't think that you're dead at 115. Just because it kills then, it's by no means easy to grab with Ness at any given moment.

But yeah everything else you said is correct. His bair, fthrow, tippered fsmash, spike, PKT2...are all realistic, albeit difficult killmoves to land. His OoS shield options are good, and he has a safe approach.

About as far as I can take it though. Ness is extremely lacking in range, save for the fair.

Timbers

check me out
I kinda agree with everything, didn't feel the need to comment.

I guess I can add on. Tippered fsmash won't kill until roughly 90% from the center of the stage. On the edges, 70% is fairly accurate.

Main approach is sh/fj fairs. They may expend their second jump with rising aerials.

Pk fire helps him combo, but it does so a lot better on the heavier characters and fast fallers. Lucario is neither of those. Just SDI out quickly as to not get a bat to the face or thrown.

Edgeguard game consists of the spike, pk fire, pk thunder, and bairs.

But I haven't played a Ness with Lucario, so I can't say anything on the matchup. I'll post the thread in Ness board in a bit.

Lucario Chart
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/mootmootmoot/LucarioMatchupChart-1copy-11.png

PKNintendo

Smash Master
I kinda agree with everything, didn't feel the need to comment.

I guess I can add on. Tippered fsmash won't kill until roughly 90% from the center of the stage. On the edges, 70% is fairly accurate.

Main approach is sh/fj fairs. They may expend their second jump with rising aerials.

Pk fire helps him combo, but it does so a lot better on the heavier characters and fast fallers. Lucario is neither of those. Just SDI out quickly as to not get a bat to the face or thrown.

Edgeguard game consists of the spike, pk fire, pk thunder, and bairs.

But I haven't played a Ness with Lucario, so I can't say anything on the matchup. I'll post the thread in Ness board in a bit.

Lucario Chart
http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/mootmootmoot/LucarioMatchupChart-1copy-11.png
You could I suppose. Tomorrow I might do Ness vs Lucario.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Just a couple tidbits of information.

Ness is very easy for Lucario to gimp.

Our uair beats Ness' dair.

Refrain from using full charged shots too much. Use bas spam in this one. Stop when he begins using psi magnet, and just keep going again once he drops it.

Hmmm...Ness, eh? There just so happens to be a pretty good Ness player that lives here. Hopefully I can give some decent advise on Ness, eh?

NESS

Behavior/fundamental moves: I haven't played that many Ness players, but there's one who lives in NM who is VERY good, and so I'll be going off of what he does.

Ness players like their aerial game a lot. A LOT. His fair has a lot of range, and sadly it outranges our own fair. I don't know if it outranges our bair or not, but if someone could check on that, that would be helpful. Anyways, they like to short hop a fair and then do their double jump and do it again. It's very annoying and kinda difficult to get around. Usually they come right back down on you with a dair which is often auto-canceled. It's a typical pattern that I noticed, so look for things like that in a Ness player. It's not as easy as it looks to punish it either. Or maybe it is. You could simply predict the double jump and chase him with your uair. That works a lot. You could wait for him to land and play it from there, etc.

Now...Ness' favorite moves:

PKfire: This move is not as scary as it seems. It can be tap DI'ed rapidly out of just like the turtle of G&W. If you tap DI up and out then they can't grab you either. That's not a good combo to be stuck in, trust me.

PKthunder: This move is WAAAAAAAYYY better with Ness than with Lucas. Ness' is a heck of a lot faster, and if you just get skimmed with it, it doesn't disappear. Avoid it like the plague. Especially off the stage and when you're way up at the top of the screen. It's much more spammable than Lucas'. You can cancel it out if you hit it with an aerial like the fair, or with any move, actually.

Psimagnet: This move pretty much negates the AS. Kinda sucks, actually. It doesn't have the killing potential that Lucas' has, but it's still really annoying. If you think that you can spam BAS and punish him in lag...you're wrong. It can be cancelled. You can shoot AS/Bas until he's around 30% or so, but still...be sparing about using AS here. It's better to just hit him with an AS than have him ever absorb it.

Fsmash: This move is deadly, and it has very deceptive range. Keep way out of its range. It has a slight start-up lag and Ness will say something too so try and watch for those signs, it will help you to avoid it or put your shield up and block it. It's kinda slow, but it's still really powerful.

bthrow: ...huh...this move is ridiculously powerful. If you're above 100%, you'd better be extra careful. It will kill you very quickly. Avoid it as much as possible. And if you get caught in the PKfire, you need to DI out as quickly as you can.

PKT2: Nehe...I used to get hit with this move all the time. I would get too greedy and rush towards him and then BOOM! I died. Anyways, if you're trying to gimp Ness, do it only if you are relatively close to his off-stage position, because if he has enough time to get this move off...well, you're probably not going to live through it. However, if you hit his lightning bolt with anything it cancels out, even if you throw your own body into it. Ness will try using this on stage too, but that usually happens when you're in the air above him. First he'll spam his PKT, and then when you land he may just circle it around and use PKT2. Please avoid this, or better yet, DT it!

I think that's all of their fundamental moves...

Lucario's strategy: Ness actually can't do very much to us. Our grab range is CRAPPY, so we can't grab him very often. If you get a grab off, pummel him as many times as possible and end with some throw or other. At higher percents, the fthrow is best. The usmash is a good killing move, but it has a lot of start-up lag, so if you don't time it well and space, then you're going to get hit with Ness' dair. Our AS is very useful when Ness is off the stage and trying to recover. If you're good enough you can gimp him, but that's definitely risky because if he gets his up-b off before you reach him...you're screwed. Unless you shoot your AS at him and hit his thunder bolt. You're fsmash is very powerful, so save it as a kill move. Use your FP as a kill move too. His fair outranges ours, so if he short hops towards you, you should know he'll either do that or a PKfire. Then double-jump, then dair...this pattern is probably different with other Ness players. Stay away from his grab. At higher percents they will do anything to grab you, so be ready to spot dodge it, roll, etc. Just don't get grabbed. If you predict it correctly and get out of the way, you should be able to punish him. Ness' bair is pretty strong too, so keep away from it, as it also has a lot of range.

Stages:

A stage that I was able to completely **** Ness on was:

Frigate Orpheon: For whatever reason, Lucario just kills Ness on this stage, at least in my experience. It was pretty bad compared to the other 2 matches.

That's all I've got time for on stages. I might edit again later, but with what I'm not sure right now. Possibly Rainbow Cruise, and some other ones. Maybe stages to avoid too.

Overall match-up: I think that the match-up is actually closer to even, maybe even slightly in Lucario's favor. Ness' really don't have that much to do to you(kinda like Snake, only Snake is broken so he gets away with it), so they repeat moves very often. If you can predict their many move patterns, you can punish them for it. You will win if you do that. Ness can kill us VERY early if you get too greedy or are not careful, so play patiently. He can also kill us with his stupid bthrow at a relatively low %, so avoid his grab. His fair beats ours, but we have more range in general. We can gimp him pretty easily, so please do so, but be careful about it.

I am inclined now to say that the match-up is either 50:50, or else it is 55:45 Lucario. Although Ness can't mix his game up all that much, the moves he can pull off on you are extremely potent.

Erich out.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
PKthunder: This move is WAAAAAAAYYY better with Ness than with Lucas. Ness' is a heck of a lot faster, and if you just get skimmed with it, it doesn't disappear. Avoid it like the plague. Especially off the stage and when you're way up at the top of the screen. You can cancel it out if you hit it with a well timed aerial like the fair, or with any move, actually.
This move is VERY easy for Lucario to just completely cancel out with an aerial.

Psimagnet: This move pretty much negates the AS. Kinda sucks, actually. It doesn't have the killing potential that Lucas' has, but it's still really annoying.
On the contrary, this puts a mental block on Ness players that gives Lucario the advantage. If you spam bas, they will eventually pull out a psi magnet. Stop spamming bas when they do this and resume fighting. Go back to spamming it at your leisure. Ness can't really do anything at all if he is trying to use psi magnet every time a bas comes his way.

Fsmash: This move is deadly, and it has very deceptive range. Keep way out of its range. It has a slight start-up lag and Ness will say something too so try and watch for those signs, it will help you to avoid it or put your shield up and block it.
His fsmash isn't too good. It's not specifically fast and not specifically powerful. Just watch out for it like any fsmash.

bthrow: ...huh...this move is ridiculously powerful. If you're above 100%, you'd better be extra careful. It will kill you very quickly. Avoid it as much as possible. And if you get caught in the PKfire, you need to DI out as quickly as you can.
Back throw is an exceptional kill move. That said, you will ALWAYS know when he is trying to do this and as such it should make it exceptionally hard for Ness to finally get the grab off.

Our grab range is CRAPPY, so we can't grab him very often. If you get a grab off, pummel him as many times as possible and end with an fthrow.
Grab range is crappy, but that isn't matchup specific. Grabbing Ness is very helpful. Why would you do fthrow? Back throw and down throw do more damage unless Lucario is around 140%.

The usmash is not recommended, because it's very slow to get out, and Ness' dair comes out pretty quickly and has a lot of range.
Upsmash is great for hitting a Ness who is trying to dair you. Also great if you properly read how Ness is coming up from the ledge and you nail him with it.

Our AS is very useful when Ness is off the stage and trying to recover.
Off stage is one of the easiest places that Ness can use psi magnet successfully.

If you're good enough you can gimp him, but that's definitely risky because if he gets his up-b off before you reach him...you're screwed.
Gimping Ness with Lucario is super super easy. Just use proper judgement and don't get reckless and you should never get hit. One of the whole reasons that Ness is garbage tier is because of how easy he is to gimp.

Ness is very light, so we can kill him just as quickly as he can kill us.
That's a common misconception. Ness is floaty, not light. He is medium weight at the least.

I think that Ness definitely has the advantage here. I have had a very hard time beating this particular Ness player in the past, but we'll see today, eh? He screws our AS, though not as much as G&W because Ness' recovery is so much slower than his, he can kill us UBER early, just like G&W. But he also has a bthrow that's very deadly, and is a certain KO if he grabs you. He has a good advantage on you when you're off the ledge.

I would say it's 60:40 Ness again. Ness is just too dang darned strong. Maybe a little less, but I doubt it.
I would put the match as 60:40 in favor of Lucario. Ness' air game is overall inferior to Lucario's, same with ground game. Psi Magnet does not hamper our bas game much at all, it is a garbage move. Ness is extremely easy to gimp. His most reliable kill move is a grab that is very very easy to see coming and avoid.

Timbers

check me out
What dguy said, except don't underestimate Ness' recovery. His fair is very high priority and it protects his very lengthy second jump.

His fsmash is also good. One read on your spotdodge is gonna get fsmash to the face.

Still though, expect bair and bthrow as prime killmoves.

emoklops

Smash Cadet
On the contrary, this puts a mental block on Ness players that gives Lucario the advantage. If you spam bas, they will eventually pull out a psi magnet. Stop spamming bas when they do this and resume fighting. Go back to spamming it at your leisure. Ness can't really do anything at all if he is trying to use psi magnet every time a bas comes his way.
Agreed. I fought a Ness today and just having a fully charged AS can be lethal to Ness as every time he expects it, he is vulnerable and you can just give him a ftilt in the face. When he really gets lazy with the magnet, give a full AS as a present to him.

Nines~Tempest

Smash Cadet
Agreed. I fought a Ness today and just having a fully charged AS can be lethal to Ness as every time he expects it, he is vulnerable and you can just give him a ftilt in the face. When he really gets lazy with the magnet, give a full AS as a present to him.
^This. Spamming BAS as mindgames against NEss is good, since it isn't a problem to rush up and hit him afterwards, whereas with Lucas it's a tad bit more risky (but still not bad).

This makes having a fully charged AS and never using it a mindgame of it's own, instead of using BAS a lot. If ness is at high %, he's going to have to predict the use. And if you never use it, well, yeah

Simna ibn Sind

THIS IS unMODNESS!
BRoomer
Slippi.gg
SIND#745
THis is a funny match actuallt....Ness and Lucario are very similar characters as far as where their strengths lie

First off, neither can approach the other very well. Ness has advantage in the long-range game, Lucario has advantage in the ground game, and both are about equal in air game. They also have virtually equal KO options. Did you know that Lucario's sideB throw at maximum power is tied with Ness' bthrow for most powerful throw in the game? Really. On top of that each of them can gimp the other with with no more difficulty than the other can gimp them. For the most part I'd say this match is a true even, but because of Ness' great ability to kill things at low damage(mostly via upB....yes u can attack his upB, but u cant attack its tail....and its tail is what's killing u mostly)) it can hurt Lucario's aura game....this advantage is almost completely flatenned out by Lucario simply being a bit faster than Ness on the ground. Like I said, Lucario has the better ground game, but Ness has little problem defending against it by going aerial....and then when they go aerial its pretty much a trade game for both of them.

I wouldn't even give this 55-45 Ness

this is more like 52-48 Ness.....a majorly insignificant advantage that, if i were a Lucario player, I would just list as neutral

EDIT: Regarding Aura Sphere: If ness keeps trying to psi magnet it he really doesnt know what he is doing. Aura Sphere is safe to shield and Ness has a reflector. On top of that should he absorb an aura sphere psi magnet can be cancelled so u cant take advantage of his catching something in it.

Oh and I really hope when we are talking about ANY matchups in this topic we are using OFFLINE matches as reference. Online matches are a huge laugh.

PKNintendo

Smash Master
THis is a funny match actuallt....Ness and Lucario are very similar characters as far as where their strengths lie

First off, neither can approach the other very well. Ness has advantage in the long-range game, Lucario has advantage in the ground game, and both are about equal in air game. They also have virtually equal KO options. Did you know that Lucario's sideB throw at maximum power is tied with Ness' bthrow for most powerful throw in the game? Really. On top of that each of them can gimp the other with with no more difficulty than the other can gimp them. For the most part I'd say this match is a true even, but because of Ness' great ability to kill things at low damage(mostly via upB....yes u can attack his upB, but u cant attack its tail....and its tail is what's killing u mostly)) it can hurt Lucario's aura game....this advantage is almost completely flatenned out by Lucario simply being a bit faster than Ness on the ground. Like I said, Lucario has the better ground game, but Ness has little problem defending against it by going aerial....and then when they go aerial its pretty much a trade game for both of them.

I wouldn't even give this 55-45 Ness

this is more like 52-48 Ness.....a majorly insignificant advantage that, if i were a Lucario player, I would just list as neutral

EDIT: Regarding Aura Sphere: If ness keeps trying to psi magnet it he really doesnt know what he is doing. Aura Sphere is safe to shield and Ness has a reflector. On top of that should he absorb an aura sphere psi magnet can be cancelled so u cant take advantage of his catching something in it.

Oh and I really hope when we are talking about ANY matchups in this topic we are using OFFLINE matches as reference. Online matches are a huge laugh.
Simna in before Sind.
I agree though.

Timbers

check me out
Thanks Simna.

To my knowledge we're not using any wifi experience in these matchups, but I can't vouch for everyone. I hope they are.

Trapt497

Smash Ace
Lol thanks Simna thats tight you posted.

Ness is really good. Better than some give him credit for. PK Thunder and fire make a great projectile game. AS > PK Fire, but PK Fire is still great at stopping an approach, attack from above, and setting up a grab combo. Spam the BAS, and Ness will eventually Magnet, then approach like some have already said. I can't say which projectile game is better. They both have very different purposes and uses and it feels awkward comparing them.

Both characters have great aerial games as well. Lucario has more range (our f-air is longer than Ness's, our d-air > Ness's u-air, etc). Ness's back air. Avoid it. Oh, and I don't think our u-air prevents a spike...his d-air has a lot of range and is fairly easy to pull off (especially on Lucario who's pretty floaty).

Whoever says Ness's forward smash isn't specifically powerful (cough dguy cough) is an idiot. Just kidding, he's not. But seriously...the start-up lag is annoying but it has a ton of knockback. Specifically against Lucario, though, the bat isn't as advantageous. Our f-smash and maybe even f-tilt outrange it horizontally.

Lucario needs to approach. BAS works great. He needs to because his groiund game is better, and in a close up fight he doesn't need to worry about pkt as much.

This is a very even matchup. Ness needs to space (avoiding Lucario's ground game), use pkt, and hit with his aerials before Lucario does. Lucario needs to BAS if Ness spaces, use his better ground game, gimp, and not get spiked or b-air'd. Ness is at a disadvantage for the most part though, because BAS will give him a hard time if he tries to avoid Lucario's ground game. And when he isn't spacing, he loses to Lucario's fairly good close up combat. 55-45 Lucario.

Conclusively

Smash Journeyman
I don't have much experience against Ness, but I'll try my best.

Ness as a character is pretty tricky. He has two great projectiles, PK Fire and PK Thunder. PK Fire traps you in for multiple hits and can lead to him grabbing you, or using forward smash against you while you're trapped inside. Another followup of PK Fire is Down Throw, then followed by a N-air. The N-air is able to be dodged, but if you aren't aware of it, you will probably get hit. His other projectile, PK Thunder is great as well. Ness can use it to hit you when you're offstage for a gimp, mindgame you into approaching, then attacking, or mindgaming into a PKT2, which can kill extremely early at around 45% if DIed properly. Another one of his projectiles, PK Flash, moves extremely slow, but deals insane damage and knockback. He will use this to edgeguard as well as PK Thunder. It can also kill at pretty early percents. His last special, the PSI Magnet can absorb your Aura Spheres and Force Palm Flames and heal him. It also can stall him in the air [think Fox's Shine]. It also has a large wind pushback, so don't get gimped by that.

His smashes are pretty unique. His Up Smash is where he arcs a yoyo over him from the front to the back. As he charges the smash and the yoyo is out, it can deal damage. If he hangs the yoyo over the edge while you're holding onto it and you're out of invincibility frames, you'll get stage spiked. It won't kill until high percents so don't worry about getting KOed any way except stage spiking. His Down Smash is where he sweeps his yoyo from the back to the front. The yoyo deals damage while it's charging, same as Up Smash. He can also use this to stage spike when he's facing away from the edge of the stage. His Forward Smash is one of his main killing moves. It also has the property of reflecting your projectiles. [Oh noes D:] Expect it after a PK Fire or when you're within killing percents,,mid 100s, around 140%.

Ness has pretty quick tilts, but they aren't used that often. Up tilt pops you up, and uh.. that's basically it. Down tilt is a rapid kick that can trip you, and can be chained together quickly. This can rack up some damage if you aren't careful. It has terrible range, and could be used after a PK Fire. Forward tilt just hits you forward.. nothing special.

Aerials. All of Ness's aerials are great. Neutral Air is where Ness spins around and knocks you back. It has decent damage and can be used to kill. Expect it after PK Fire > D-Throw. Forward Air is multiple jolts of electricity. Ness uses this to space a LOT. The damage isn't really something you should worry about, just DI out of the multiple jolts and airdodge the followup. Back Air is where Ness kicks out his heels. These do pretty good damage, and is a great killing move if sweetspotted. The hitbox is pretty large, so don't count on it not sweetspotting. Down Air is the second most powerful spike in the game. Ness can spike you at extremely low percents. Up Air can be used to juggle a bit, and kill off the top. Ness does a little headbutt in the air.

Throws.. Expect Back throw and Down throw. Back throws can be used to kill at around 130%. Down throw is mostly used after a PK Fire. Up throw, he tosses you up, could be used to get you in the air. Forward throw, probably the worst of Ness's throws, but can still be used to follow up with Forward Airs.

Time for Lucario.

Punish the lag he has after certain aerials and smashes. Not that hard. Spotdodge or Powershield PK Fires and shield PK Thunders. If you can, double team PKT2s, if not, just shield it and hope for the best. Punish the lag after his PK Flash with a Forward Smash. Beware of his PSI Magnet, he can and WILL at least attempt to absorb all of the Aura Spheres you throw his way. He can also absorb your missed Force Palm grabs.

Spotdodge his Up and Down smash, they don't have lingering hitboxes so they're pretty easy to deal with on-stage. Shield Forward Smashes, or roll, and follow up with a Forward Smash, or a tilt. Ness's tilts aren't really a problem to me. They come out fast, but don't have lingering hitboxes like ours. Lucario outranges all of Ness's tilts, so just move back, and attack back. Avoid his grabs, because they can be deadly. Watch out for the dash grab, it gives him extra range. In the air, you mostly outrange him. If he N-Airs, N-Air right back. If he F-airs, use F-air, B-air, or N-air. If he B-airs, airdodge. Don't take the risk. If he D-airs, up-air. If you aren't confident you'll hit, airdodge. If he approaches from below, D-air for the win. D-air is also really good against most of his moves. Just look for openings and hit him with a D-air.

Stages.

Like always, Luigi's Mansion is always a good choice. Tech against the ceilings and walls and live to high percents. Another good choice is Battlefield, because it messes up his PK Thunder mindgames.

Avoid Final Destination. It's flat, it's open, it's Ness heaven. He can PK Thunder mindgame a lot, as well as absorb your Aura Spheres with no problem at all.

IMO, it's around 55-45 Lucario. It's still pretty Neutral IMO. He outspaces Ness in both the ground and the air on a lot of attacks. If you avoid abusing Aura Sphere, you won't have much of a problem.

If you have anything to add, or if I said anything incorrect, feel free to add or correct me.

Edit : Changed Killing Percents on PKT2 and FSmash.

Browny

Smash Hater
just fixing some stuff...

or mindgaming into a PKT2, which can kill extremely early at around 50%.

Back throws can be used to kill at around 130%

His Forward Smash is one of his main killing moves. It also has the property of reflecting your projectiles. [Oh noes D:] Expect it after a PK Fire or when you're within killing percents, around 90~100%.
Stages.
PKT2 can KO at around 35% sweetspotted, and about 70% on average for the rest of the attack. Back throw will begint to KO at around 115%. expect maybe 6-8 damage from pummels when he grabs you, and thats more than enough for it to KO.

and Fsmash isnt a main killing move at all. It does incredible damage and knockback when its tippered (24% uncharged, more knockback than luigis fsmash) but if its not tippered its extremely weak, probably wont even kill until 130. Its long start up time just doesnt make it a useful KO move at all. Backthrow is #1, then maybe bair and uair close together. Id rate PKT2 more of a useful KO move than his fsmash

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
25% uncharged and tipper for Ness' forward smash. Just fixing that. Ignore me otherwise.

Timbers

check me out
PKT2 can KO at around 35% sweetspotted, and about 70% on average for the rest of the attack.
Unless you're like offscreen when this happens, then no way.

I know the knockback is very versatile and dependant on where you're hit with it, but just don't be stupid and try gimping when you're not in a position to do so (and get PKT2'd.)

Anyways, the move has a lot of hitlag. DI it upwards and you should survive it until well into 50-60% sweetspotted.

No sweetspot wont kill until like 100-110%.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Unless you're like offscreen when this happens, then no way.

I know the knockback is very versatile and dependant on where you're hit with it, but just don't be stupid and try gimping when you're not in a position to do so (and get PKT2'd.)

Anyways, the move has a lot of hitlag. DI it upwards and you should survive it until well into 50-60% sweetspotted.

No sweetspot wont kill until like 100-110%.
I like every single one of Timbers post. I can't find anyone post I don't like. With DI theres no way it should but yea he's right it can. You just made it seem like it's not possible so... Other than that ignore me again... Chances are Ness won't get the 6-8% from pummeling.... You must break out slow....

Timbers

check me out
mm thanks

Quotes so far from Ness boards on Ness vs. Lucario:

Specific troubles arrive from aura boosts at high%. His Fsmash can be quite annoying (impossible to punish, and lasting hitbox at % with added knockback is deadly) I believe Lucario has an aerial killers (dair) while Ness has his bair and dair (spike)

I try to pick YI since the edge's don't suck, and Ness back throw can kill Lucario earlier than normal. The backthrow kills Lucario relatively normally.

I don't really have a method of beating Lucario. He doesn't have any weaknesses. Bot characters can link their aerials relatively well on the other.
While Ness can absorb Lucario's neutral B and punish (psi magnet lag cancel) Lucario can drag Ness of the stage easily with his pseudo WoP.

Advantages on Lucario with Ness: Absorbing projectile.
Advantage on Ness with Lucario: WoP him attempting to recover.

Both are pretty even in a matchup. 5-5.

PS: Using Lucario's Neutral B, and Ness uses' his Upsmash, a glitch will occur where Ness will have his Yo-Yo's out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd2blSG5BHo
-What specific troubles do you have with Lucario as a Ness player? Does Lucario shut down any of your game?

Lucario is a ***** in the air, hard to fight but possible. I have to play defensively in the air. His fair is tough to get through, but possible. Luckily, Ness' fair beats him out. Fair defensively and less nair on the offense. Lucario can be beaten in the air and generally outranged also, but defensive play is where it's at. No juggling with the uair, and sometimes PKT canbe a risk. DT can get him around that. Only use a quick uncharged PK Flash to hit a Lucario from under.

-What advantages do you feel Lucario has against you?

Range

-What disadvantages do you feel Lucario has against you?

Airgame to me. Lucario players tend to stick to the air, but I know that Ness' airgame can beat it out very slightly.

-Is there any method or strategic goal you would use to win this match?

Play defensively and outrange him in the air. That fair is annoying.

-What stages would you want to counterpick against a Lucario? What stages would you want to avoid?

I'd pick Pirate ship just because Ness does well there. Lucario has no spike so Ness is safe in the water. I would avoid Battlefield because Lucario has tons of annoying range on his attacks.
Personally, I destroy Lucarios. Air game for Ness outranged Lucario if only by a little bit. The exception of this of course is the d-air. This move tends to annoy a lot of Ness players, but I have found that a simple PKFlash is enough to stop this attack. It comes out fast and can be held to stall for a moment or two if the Lucario tries to stay above it with another D-air. It can be a bit hard to come back to edge against Lucario, but The same can be said for him against Ness. Theres a very high likelihood of Ness being able to gimp Lucario at low %s due to spikes and such, preventing his major advantage which is the power up at higher %s. Two of your four specials heal Ness, and the other two are not attacks.(and the counter is horribly predictable/punishable). As far as stages are concerned, BF can be good, but I really like Lylat because He has no under-ledge to grab and the slopes mess with his Aura. All-in-all, I'd say 60-40 in Ness' favor.
Lucario's fairs and bairs annoy me. It makes it somewhat tough for me to use my fair or uair on him. His d-smash is tricky too since it goes both ways at once. I don't always get caught in it, it's just when I happen to be in a situation of rolling, I get hit by it.

Other than his fair and dair being annoying, when he just spams his Aura Ball over and over again. This turns into the part where I put up the PSI Magnet. However he'll charge it all the way and so I have to be more cautious of this. But surprisingly enough I usually end up absorbing it. Still it's not like it never hit me.

Let's see. I like to use my yo-yo on him when his Aura Ball is charged all the way because Ness' yo-yo has more priority over his Aura Ball. But when you get Lucario up to higher percent that Aura Ball becomes harder to block with the yo-yo. Usually when Lucario uses his counter attack it gives me enough time to block and either grab or attack, depending on which direction Lucario is coming.

Well if he likes to counter a lot, grab him more. He's easy to edge guard, so use that to your advantage because his up B doesn't hurt anyone. Don't bother juggling a good Lucario main. He'll probably counter the PK Thunder and land on the ground. Try to be more aerial and be defensive against Lucario but don't make your attacks obvious. Projectile is almost useless if Lucario spams his counter.

Final Destination can be bad for Lucario because of the lip. That stage is bad for a lot of characters actually. I really can't think of any other stage that'd be bad for him.

There ye be.
Lucarios got a lot of range, and he can sometimes trick you out on what smash hes gonna use when he charging I guess. His fsmash is good, and his dair is good too. It can be hard to apporach him

i think Ness have a slight advantage though. 55:45 or something like that. They could be considered Neutral too and I would agree i guess.I think Ness` areials beat Lucarios, at least at low percents when Lucario stays closer to Ness and his ariels have less range.. Lucarios Dairs can lead to a PK Flash or PK Thunder from Ness.Since Lucario is floaty, this may be an advantege or disadvantage for some players PKT juggling. Lucario`s Counter is a bit easier to predict that other Counters (Like Marth) And you can PSIM His Aura Sphere and Force Palm. Also, if Lucario has to go for the edge when recovering, hes very easy to edge guard because his ExtremeSPeed does no damage.

Stages? Im not sure...I Imagine some place they will not die quickly and so they can beat out Ness` air game, with platforms maybe...I would say battlefield or Yoshi`s Island.
and then of course Simna's post in here.

Mmmm...I like Simna's post, I do.

I was just at a little monthly tournament and I played that Ness player...well, I think I've changed my mind on this match-up. I think it's a lot more even than I first thought. I'll go edit my previous post with more information on the match-up/revised opinions.

Top Bottom