• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Low Tier City Results: Biggest Solo PM tourney ever!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I had to sit there really hard and figure out if you had something else. I'm kind of glad you didn't have some Sheik or Ness or jank town, because your Wolf was really good and enjoyable to play against honestly. I would have played afterwards with you but I was getting exhausted, and judging from how me and Oro played at the end of the day, your Wolf would have stuck his Fair in places I did not need to feel that day.

Which reminds me. Somewhere near the end of the recording, me and Oro are doing Fox dittos. We put the "Low Tier" in Fox plz don't upload it was just after tourney friendlies and I think we agreed to spare humanity our failure. Some of the most fun I had that day but my god think of the children.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
LMFAO

Well sheeeeet

I SEE some vids!

Sethlon small correction: The Falcon with the Relax tag vs Oro, that's Strawhat. I play Oro right after that in friendlies (marth v ike, fox ditto, falcon ditto, whatever else). I dunno if you wanna split that up into 2 vids, don't wanna be hogging time on their actual set.

Darkgun

Smash Journeyman
So I can't wait for my next tourney. That was an absolutely awesome introduction to the tournament setting. I wanna do a shoutout thing because... I wanna do one.... Please excuse me while I shrug at my own reasoning.

Shoutouts ta:
Grand and Tripp fer comin' with me.
Oracle and the other folks doin' the admin-y and TO stuff. Everything was fun and you guys are friendly as all get out.
Xeven for being properly introduced to Bowser's usmash meteor hitbox and pausing the game as a direct result.
Fly for OMGWTFDDD. Seriously. Yer darned insane with the penguin.
Bowser for being a spacie killer.
Everyone for banning Yoshi Story when I counter-picked as Bowser. I got to laugh at that.
Lucario for convincing me that I should just main Bowser. (Not that I won't figure you out darnit!)
Everyone who's name I failed to get. I'm darned bad at that. This covers... practically everybody.... Yeah.

Thanks for the great matches, both friendlies and tournament. Next time, Pro bracket or bust!

Rat

Smash Lord
Shout-out!

1: TheReflexWonder - you were cool. hanging out was cool. you're wario n squirtle r cool. Ivysaur not so much (but still very very good.) Cool cool cool.
2: Fly Amanita - Yep. It was fun hanging out. <3 Wish I had something novel to say here. <3
3: Strong Bad - Welp SB, looks like you gotta step your game up if you want to win one of these things. Was fun hanging out. Also the Adventures with Strong Bad and Oracle were a blast.
4: Sethlon - Thanks for hosting this thing and being an overall classy guy. Was secretly rooting for you against Fly and Strong Bad (don't tell them that.) Also you're really really good at the RPS elements of smash bros - I was horribly impressed by your shielding.
5: Awestin - Huge fan of your ness. Didn't get to talk much but you seemed super chill. We should play some next time.
5: Dakpo - Great games sir. Had a lot of fun playing you in friendlies. Also I appreciated the warm welcome and hospitality of texas. You should come up to chicago and play us sometimes.
7: Strawhat - GGs sir. Loved the falcon. One of the few falcons who're trying out new stuff with him in PM.
7: DMG - GGs sir. You got me pretty good. Felt like I was on the back foot for most of our matches and could really get a leg-up on you. We'll have to get a set in next time - get that salty runback. :)
9: Oracle - Fraud.
9: Oro?! - Double Fraud.
9: Mr.Pickle - Didn't get to play too much but had fun in the games we did. :)
9: Heysuess - Super cool dude. Great job at this tournament btw. Wish we would've played.
13: KOKingpin - GGs, was fun playing and chatting for a bit. Looking forward to NERD RAGE SwiftRage.
13: NkGuy - Woah was I impressed by your Ness. I really didn't know what to do against it lol. GGs.
13: ZachAttax64 - ???
13: Rat - Exposed.
17: Blondie - Wtf zelda. wtf. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing in that match-up. First impression was that it felt pretty hopeless. So yeah good stuff.
17: Infinity - real good MK. Heckling Master and awesome dude. Enjoyed our set and was pretty stinkin impressed by your MK. Also good to know there's more old guy smashers out there fighting the good fight. GGs sir ggs.
17: Dr. Drew the Dragon - Yeah you had a pretty legit shiek. I hate fighting that character. GGs
17: D S - Didn't really get to play but you seemed like a pretty ****in cool dude. We'll get some games in next time. :)
17: Denti - Very unique individual.
17: UTDZac - ggs sir. At the time, I was glad that you went charizard game 2 of pools. First game was super close and I have much much more charizard experience than I do fighting good pikachus. Gotta get some games of Magic in next time.
17: Alex - AROOOOOOOOOOOOO! Wolf brother. Hope you don't mind me giving you a bit of a critique (cause i'm about to.) You said something like you're a technical player but not a smart player. I wouldn't say that. 1) That's just not a good way to approach playing and improving. Gotta believe in yourself. 2) I don't think it's true. You seemed plenty smart. Instead I'd say what you lacked was that killer instinct. I wanted you to hit harder, punish more, and just do more cheap ****.
Sorry if that's a bit out of the blue. I had a lot of fun playing ya and I look forward to the next time.
1: bwett - didn't get to play. Didn't really want to face that scary looking squirtle.
2: Denthorn - GGs sir. Had a real good time playing friendlies and hanging out with ya.
7: (40k) - Other Wolf brother! Thanks for showing me that Flash moonwalking craziness. I'll see if I can work it in somewhere.
13: Burnsy - didn't get to play, but seemed really really cool. Get ya next time.

CORY - You get the Best dressed award of the tournament. (Oracle can have a distant second.) Arm belt things were rad.
Dude who was from Houstan who got picked up with Me and Oro - Totally called your ethnicity! Were cool & was fun talking to ya. :)

Everyone else - sorry if I forgot to give you a shoutout. Especially those who were in my pool and went to their first tournament. Hope you'all got some inspiring beatings. ggs. See you at ltc 2!

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
"Denti: Very unique individual"

Rat we don't use phrases and words like that in the 21st century. The term we use these days for those people is "gay".

Alex he's right. You gotta convert or try to convert harder with Wolf once you get in. You had plenty of pressure, and you weren't super bad at neutral, I just was not eating as much damage as I probably should have been eating. Even if you aren't sure whether a certain hit or situation is gonna work out, you gotta go for it sometimes and show the opponent that he better watch out after even minor hits, that he can't slack off on teching or good DI or etc.

The only other thing I noticed was that your options during tech chases were a bit too predictable. As a Spacie that can cost you a ton, so don't floor roll/techroll towards the opponent as much and you'll be set. You're not a year's worth away of hardcore training before being as good as say Rat: you're already pretty decent dude. The small things matter, just polish up a bit.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
"Denti: Very unique individual"

Rat we don't use phrases and words like that in the 21st century. The term we use these days for those people is "gay".
Is this supposed to be funny? I don't get it.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
It sounded better in my head than it turned out.

Kind of like my idea of going Luigi against you.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I agree, Rat should have placed higher. I honestly think he should have won Game 1 in our set and our set in general should have been 2-1 with either of us winning: you can judge that for yourselves when it goes up since IIRC it was recorded.

WHICH reminds me. Rat sat down and he's like "Let's Double Blind". I'm sitting here thinking "My god, is this guy a monster like what does he have PLANNED?!? The entire day in Singles and Doubles, I only saw him play Wolf. Is he pissed in Losers and ready to body me with his secret character? Fine maybe he has someone else, who's a safe pick? Screw it, IT'S FOX TIME!"

Turns out he picked Wolf anyways. What a monsterous mindgame like my god dude. I dunno if you were trying to avoid a character of mine, if you were just messing with my head, I dunno what you had in mind but that was one of the only times in tournament I've sat there and legitimately thought with some fear "I have no idea what the **** is going on".
This is funny to me because the last time I saw someone call double blind on you, you hard read their character choice and countered their Wolf with King Dedede (in Brawl!).

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Was that Jumpman? Because I was the one who wanted the Double Blind LOL

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
He had it coming, he played Wolf in Brawl.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Yeah that game is pretty cool or something.

I hope everyone heard Awestin's reasons for wanting to be a cop. Hearing that in person was one of the funniest things of that weekend.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Next time, ask Awestin to tell you in person. I'm not messing up how he said it, too funny for me to butcher or sell it short.

Dr Drew the Dragon

BRoomer
BRoomer
Much delayed shoutouts!

1: TheReflexWonder: Maybe the only person who is more fun to watch playing the game then watching the actual game. All the standing and hand gestures and facial expressions. My counter-stand in teams didn't work out so well lol. Also you're super good at this game and stuff, inspired me to learn some new characters.
2: Fly Amanita: Props on knocking out Sethlon, you're the first person who's ever done that. Also teach me to throw needles with Sheik; I can never gimp Awestin like you did so many times :(
3: Strong Bad: We only got to play in teams but that DK is terrifying. Don't get grabbed!
4: Sethlon: Every reign must come to an end, maybe it's time for a secondary. I know that feel when everybody knows how to fight your character and you're learning how to fight theirs mid-match lol.
5: Awestin: So close, if only Ness had a few more buffs.
5: Dakpo: Saddest bracket IMO, losing to Awestin and Sethlon. I wanted to see you crush some more OoS people that know nothing of your bacon techniques.
7: Strawhat: That teams match was nuts.
7: DMG: That (different) teams match was nuts, both of us learning how to fight with MK's as the tournament progressed.
9: Oracle: Learn to spell Sheik :). Now you know what running a big tourney is like, so hard to keep up with your playing while also holding the whole thing together. Maybe they'll stop nerfing your characters lol.
9: Oro?!: So, I thought I was in good shape when i was 2 stocks to 1 at 0% in our first game. Then you took THE NEXT 6 STOCKS OMG. The comeback was bad enough but then 4-stocking me?! Super ouch.
9: Heysuess: Wow that DDD is legit. You could probably tell I'd had about 3 minutes of experience vs. that character before lol... Still, good stuff wrecking me and then wrecking Oracle right after.
13: KOKingpin: Those friendlies Sunday were probably the most fun I had all tourney. Couldn't get that win with Bowser though :( Thanks for proving to me Ganon is still scary, even without chaingrabbing half the cast from 0-death. I went back and listened to that commentary lol, not quite as biased as I had hoped but it was cool to see. Back when I was good enough to be on streams there weren't any streams to be on, never got to hear anyone commentate my matches before.
13: NkGuy: We never talked but every time I walked by you your Ness was wrecking shop.
13: ZachAttax64: Props on outplacing me, now I'll never hear the end of it lol.
13: Rat: I thought you and Alex were the same person for a long time... I was like "there can't be two really scary wolf players here can there?" But I was wrong...
17: Infinity: We were about 3 good hits from knocking out the 1st and 4th place teams. Not too shabby for our first time teaming :).
17: Dr. Drew the Dragon: Maybe start playing PM instead of just playing Melee and learning on the go.
17: D S: Could you tell I've played CORY's pit about a billion times? That's definitely the one PM-exclusive matchup I'm most comfortable with...
17: Denti: Top Ganon player!
17: UTDZac: Stop bodying me in teams with Pika, it's embarrassing. Just glad we bracket-dodged you and Billy lol.
17: Alex: Showing up out of nowhere and almost stealing the pool from me, good stuff. Wolf is so scary, a spacie I don't know how to gimp. But some Sheik nonsense saw me through :)

1: bwett: smartest man at the tourney, who needs pro bracket when you can make dat money in amateurs? I see sticking with Squirtle paid off.
2: Denthorn: I don't think we ever played but good stuff. Scary Lucas.
3: Keys: Blast from the past!
4: Problemo: I've been playing Link some lately, you should teach me your ways!
5: Calmanimal: Bowser!
9: Sintenal: Well you tried, except not really.
9: Darkgun: I like how you eased our entire pool into believing you were a scrub with Lucario before bodying all of us with Bowser, very sneaky

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
I didn't get a chance to hang out with anyone after the tournament. Already had other plans. Next time though, Problem0 will join the fray! :)

Most OoS probably never noticed me, but here are my shout outs anyways.

1: TheReflexWonder ($450+$200 first place bonus+$50 OOS Bonus=$700) :wario: :ivy: - It was fun playing you and Strongbad in teams. Denthorn and I were the Lucas/Link team you played pretty early in the bracket. when we sat down, I was thinking "Is this actually reflex + strongbad? Hmmm, not sure". Team Rocket showed us game 2 though! xD If you two are down, Denthorn and I would actually like a team MM next time! ;)
2: Fly Amanita ($240) :dedede: :sheik: - DAT SHEIK!! You should know low tiers are allergic to that character! You made Sheik look like TX's kryptonite, but that King Dedede was scary as hell too. No more bottom tier placing for him anymore! xD Congrats on knocking out Sethlon, and your Sheik's spacing vs Awestin's Ness was phenomenal.
3: Strong Bad ($130) :dk: :wario: - I don't know what else to say that I didn't already say to Reflex. You guys have really excellent team work that is really fun to watch, and I think you both played better day 2. You earned your victory in teams and congrats on beating Sethlon and placing 3rd.
4: Sethlon ($85) :marth: - It was bound to happen sometime right? It's hard to stay on top of the hill for so long, and trying to learn how to handle characters we don't play often is pretty difficult in the middle of a tournament against players of this caliber. Please don't take it out on us next tournament! D:
5: Awestin ($25) :ness: - I'm so hyped that you finally got to show off what Texas has been bragging about for so long. Now everyone should know the almighty power of Awestin's Ness! Don't worry about that Sheik and Wario match. It's just a few kinks that you can fix.
5: Dakpo ($25) :gw: - Really sucks that you were knocked out by 2 of our own players. Still kept bodying me in friendlies. One of these days I'll figure out how to deal with G&W effectively in singles.
7: Strawhat :falcon: :toonlink: - I think C. Falcon is one of the harder characters to perform well with in this game. He just gets punished so hard for tiny mistakes, but you managed to place 7th anyways. I don't think we've exchanged dialog yet, but I hear a lot about you from other players. Congrats on placing top 8.
7: DMG :marth: :fox: - I'm constantly amazed at your ability to hang with some of the greatest PM players without having a real "PM scene" of your own. I honestly think you would be up there with Sethlon if you lived in DFW and came to our smashfests. I hope we get to play Mario Party at the next tournament.
9: Oracle (Fraud?) :lucas: - What a fraud. I knew it all along. You were just using broken characters, and when the PMBR RIGHTFULLY took them away from you, you were nothing. NOTHING!!! ... but seriously, yeah, getting your character(s) drastically changed before tournament is no fun. I shall await to see what you come up with to remedy this. I think you have the potential to rework your ROB game and still be a big threat, but I can also see you picking up somebody new if necessary.

9: Oro?! :zss: - I watched you in 2 sets. I watched you get burned and stepped on by Awestin with lots of TX trash talk, then I watched you make a huge comeback vs Dr. Drew then 4 stock him the next game. Man, that Download speed is really high. Who is your service provider?
9: Mr. Pickle :wario: - Sorry, I don't think I watched you play any.
9: Heysuess :dedede: - Playing you in teams was pretty scary. I held my breath everytime I was at the ledge. I don't want the scoop! >.<
13: KOKingpin :ganon: :snake: - d-throw, d-throw, d-throw, d-throw. I only watched you play against Xeven (aka Dark_Steve). Solid Ganon.
13: NkGuy :ness: - I watched you play against Infinity. It's nice to see a Ness that's a little more technical than Awestin. If only there was a way to effenciently combine both your playstyles...
13: ZachAttax64 :marth: - You keep placing higher and higher at each tournament. The "pressure" of high level gets easier with each event you attend.
13: Rat :wolf: - Gawd, I've never played a good Wolf, and then came our match in pools! It was a tough fight Rat, but even in friendlies afterwords, you were out playing me. I guess I have some more work to do.
17: Blondie :zelda: - I know I keep dodging your MM. Next tournament we meet at, let's MM before the event begins!
17: Infinity :metaknight: - How did you make it to pro bracket with a 2 week old character? o.O
17: Dr. Drew the Dragon :sheik: :fox: - I watched your match vs Oro. It looked you had it first game! What happened?
17: D S :pit: - Same as Oracle, it's hard to relearn a character after he's been nerfweaked. I think your Pit still has a chance to do good. I saw you use d-tilt to d-air spike. That looks like something really interesting.

17: Denti :mk: - fun playing you friendlies. Congrats on making it to pro bracket.
17: UTDZac :pikachu: - noooooo I wanted to win game 2 so badly! I had it! I had it! I suck.
17: Alex :wolf: - I didn't meet you at the tournament. If you come to the next Low Tier City, I'll be sure to play you.
1: bwett ($50) :squirtle: - IT'S NOT FAIR! YOU'RE STANDING ANIMATION GOES UNDERNEATH MY BOOMERANG AND BOMBS!! WTFBBQ?!?! W/e, I'll figure it out next time. Prepare yourself bwett. ;)
2: Denthorn ($25) :falcon: :lucas: - Congrats on 2nd in singles. Had fun playing teams as always, but I really was looking forward to making people salty with Melee mains. Lucas/Link had some surprising synergy and we did well considering we've never even tested that team before. We really need to get together for a smashfest to practice teams stuff. We haven't been to the same smashfest in like a year or something!
3: Keys :zelda: - Our set was really tight! Game 3, there was only 1:30 left on the clock. Maybe I shouldn't have chosen such a huge stage! (I was just 'feeling' it though)
5: AegisShaker :mario: - I don't think I played you. Maybe next time!
5: Calmanimal :bowser: - Link is such a booty match-up for Bowser. That's kind of how Bowser is though. Lots of polar match-ups. Fun playing you as always.
7: (40k) :wario: - Pretty slick Diddy Kong. Our set was pretty hype in pools. Nice playing you!
7: Khalil :mario: :falco:? - Do you get really nervous playing me? You seemed "off" during our set. We'll just have to grind it out one day at a smashfest.

9: Hazard - I feel like your placing here doesn't accurately reflect your skill level, but I guess it's just the consequence of the way the seeding turned out. Really exciting set. I love matches against Link/T.Link. Pretty down to the wire too.

D

Deleted member

How the **** did me and scotch get dead last even though we won like, 1 or 2 doubles matches. D:
Also, those glitch matches where hype. Puff Climbers are legit. :jigglypuff::jigglypuff:

But anyway...

1. UTDZac, Sethlon, and that other guy. - Thanks for the car ride! UTD, we need to play that Charizard match someday.

2. Awestin - Thanks for all those Ness tips! I look forward to fighting you again!

3. Scotch - Thanks for teaming with me. Your Luigi is pretty crazy. Dem' Chain grabs. P.S. to Boom: DID YOU ENJOY DA PIZZA :D

4. Grand - I loved fighting your Wolf. You're pretty awesome.

5. (40K) - I loved those matches, hope to see you again sometime. Brohoof.

6. Jihad, TR8NR, and Jake from State farm. - I'm glad you all came, and I hope you get deeper into the competitive smash community! Jihad, your Squirtle and Toonlink are crazy. I can't believe I beat you in that Pizza money match.

7. StrongBad - Those F-Zero friendlies were awesome.

8. Pizza Hut - **** your prices. 11 bucks is too much for one pizza but whatever.

9. ZachAttax - Thanks for housing.

Now, time to practice for more than 2 days and without cramps, blisters, or sleep problems. Thanks for the jamboree, ya good ol' B S of A.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Wow I forgot about those F-Zero friendlies... that game is hard LOL.

D

Deleted member

sethlon- i think i could make you substantially better at teams with less than a week's worth of effort. let me know if you're interested.

MrClean

Smash Rookie
It was fun being there there the second day still a bit drugged from getting my wisdom teeth out .-.

I'm trying not to have medsjohns for all the games, which were only friendlies, but holy cow everything around me was so fast and loud and pretty Smash Bros colors like whoa

Thanks for hosting Oracle, you did a hella good job and it seemed everyone had fun. Hope we'll get to do it again and show all the damn yankees how we do 'round here, cowboy.

And StrongBad, it was nice to finally meet ya and play that 30 second game, but I do wish we coulda talked more :C

Zach u suk

Sethlon shoulda gone Sonic and yeehaw'd up in Fly's face but whatever

Congrats to Reflex, and that razor leaf was like the best thing ever omg.

And thank you my friend who drove me and played with me and I don't even know your tag any more come on choose one.

And, once again, Squirtlepenis.

You're welcome, next time I'll be knocking you out of the tourney :)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Whoever signed "Jake (from State Farm)" is probably a bad guy

Top Bottom