• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Love's Last Stand! Feb. 21st, Athens OH

ithrowthings

Smash Lord
NNID
ithrowthings
ITT: Are we doing doubles together or no? It's not a big deal if you don't want to, I just needed to know so I can plan accordingly.
Ya, and I agree to the whole you can use sonic if we stomp our opponents real hard in the first match.

Edit: Actually, I forgot that BYAA! wants to team with DeaD I believe... I'm trying to convince him that teaming with Beegs would be so much better but he doesn't believe me. Beegs may need a partner if BYAA! doesn't team with him and I might have to give priority to Beegs first because I've known him much longer.

Most likely DeaD will pull out at the last second and not go. Also, Beegs probably won't wanna team with me as a replacement for BYAA! so it's like 95% sure it's me and T-800. I hate to keep stringing you along like this too man and I'm sorry.

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
Seems like it's coming up so slowly.

To the image that Y.b.M. shared... Wtf?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
someone envying our super cool dance moves, obviously

I demand a full God Kai's / GUNPUNCH! picture together

Pdiamond

Smash Apprentice
I should have known it was the envy woman, unfortunately the thought escaped my mind when seeing her in the back ground of that image.

Well, we have solved yet another case... The case of the mysterious envy woman *Plays ending theme song to the old Scooby Doo episodes*

EDIT: If anyone for some odd reason can't seem to remember the ending of the 1969 Scooby Doo theme then here is a link to the very famous song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0-as9KbDE

Xisin

Smash Ace
NNID
Xisin14
you guys are really mean, lol. I really dont know who she is, and it was the first time i had seen her she wasnt playing more like was with someone.

TheKiest

Smash Champion
I demand a full God Kai's / GUNPUNCH! picture together
There will be pictures of everything. Nothing will be safe.

Also I will be closing the Prereg this Weds at Midnight. We are at 55 plus some very lazy OUGA people that will be there for sure (The OUGA people, not the 55... though hopefully those 55 can come!).

The event will be almost bigger than the 4 man Halo 2 tournament we threw about 4 years ago. (That had 64 peops)

lou4222

Smash Lord
This is going to be epic. If all of those people come it will be bigger than the midwest championships right? I nominate OUGA for possibly hosting a circuit event

Hence

Smash Ace
We didn't take into consideration that Athens is a two hour drive.
Hopefully we can still come; my Lucario is looking for some rapeage. :laugh:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
looking forward to this!

pray there are no crazy things happening to me.

You guys better be thankful, I planned my lessons out 2 weeks in advance for you guys! >:p

Framerate

Smash Lord
We are doing pools right?
I'm only gonna say this once so everybody listen up.

I have no idea how pools work. I've never done pools, seen pools, or read about pools. I can't even swim (blatant lie).

From what I heard, pools are used with smaller groups of people (this is probably wrong). Since we already have 50+ people, I'm all for whatever gets things done smoothly in the shortest time possible.

So, if someone wouldn't mind explaining pools to me, I would be very grateful. I've been trying to figure out for months how pools are done >_<

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm only gonna say this once so everybody listen up.

I have no idea how pools work. I've never done pools, seen pools, or read about pools. I can't even swim (blatant lie).

From what I heard, pools are used with smaller groups of people (this is probably wrong). Since we already have 50+ people, I'm all for whatever gets things done smoothly in the shortest time possible.

So, if someone wouldn't mind explaining pools to me, I would be very grateful. I've been trying to figure out for months how pools are done >_<
I'll run pools there, dun worry 'bout it.

Give me a list of who is going by Thursday and I'll try to separate pools beforehand so it runs faster.

Or I could do it on Friday night, either or.

Pools is basically this: (using a group of 32 going into a 16 man bracket)

You take the players and you semi-randomly put them in "pools". A pool is a group of players that are assigned to play each other. They do this round-robin, meaning everyone plays everyone.

The scores are then tabulated either by wins or wins minus losses (that is preference), and the top X amount of people move on.

In this case, I'd make 4 pools of 8, with the top 4 moving on.

So if there was this pool, ordered from top ranking to bottom ranking after the matches were done:

Overswarm
Kel
Y.b.M.
Dr. X
Infern
Bob
Jim
Smash64 (he went sonic and bowser)

The four with the highest scores would move on. Overswarm, Kel, Y.b.M., and Dr. X proceed to the bracket. This takes longer than a straight bracket, but it allows everyone to get more matches in (everyone in this pool got at least 14 matches as opposed to a minimum of 4 in bracket), warm up, and helps seed the bracket.

Since I had the best score, I'd be a "first" seed. The other three pools would also have a "first" seed, and we'd be separated in the bracket to play each other as far away as possible. All the fourth seeds, being the worst seeds, would be assigned to play a first seed that was not in their pool. Second seeds would play third seeds from another pool.

So the bracket would end up looking like this based on seeds:

Assuming there were no upsets, this would lead to a 1 seed playing a 4th seed, then a 2 seed, then another 1 seed, and then the two remaining 1 seeds would play in the winner's finals. This gives the bracket a definite crescendo in skill level and helps provide accurate results. Putting people straight into a bracket randomly could result in Overswarm playing Jim and Bob first and second round, followed by playing George and then Kel. That's an easy bracket until the winner's finals, and by then you're guaranteed top 3!

Pools really helps the tournament out.

We generally don't do pools for doubles.

Framerate

Smash Lord
I think I'm in love....

with POOLS!

Although we might not have time for the crew fights if we do this. Shouldn't be a problem if people don't mind staying 'til 3 in the morning.

lou4222

Smash Lord
How many set ups can this place handle. If we can get 10-15 set ups that would help drastically. I can definitely bring my wii and a copy of brawl if someone just wants to bring a tv.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I would bring a tv, but no room in my car. It's full with 5 ppl.
Setups are vital to pull off pools sufficiently.

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I Got the Camera...So We'll be Snapping pics. I'm so excited...I've been practicing Non-Stop... Prepare For a GODPUNCH!!!(Fusion of the God Kais and Gunpunch)

Framerate

Smash Lord
We have 4 rooms reserved, with a ton of outlets and more seating than you could imagine (imagine 4 classrooms! HA I lied you could imagine that many seats). I'll bring some surge protectors full optimal plug-age. If you have a wii and brawl, bring them! Each room has a lagless projector so we've got a guaranteed 5 (I'm bringing a tv and someone's gonna have a wii for it)

As for fitting a setup into a car full of 5 people, make them hold stuff. Of course you're not gonna get a tv in there, but I'm sure at least one of your passengers could hold a tiny wii with a few cords.

Edit: 2 midterms this week, and setting up Wednesday morning for a concert on campus this week. That and not having a wii with everything unlocked means no practice for me :(

OS you have to promise a MM with me, I'll specify the rules in person. Be prepared to be un-prepared for our MM (you have no idea what you're in for >:D )

Doctor X

Smash Lord
Pools are also cool cause you get to play a lot even if you do really terrible. This actually does matter, cause half the people in every bracket go 2 and out by definition... Kinda feels like a waste for those guys if they only play 2 sets.

Oh and I still need a teammate for this. Kel and OS already took AZ and Q-- fitting for this tournament cause it's like infidelity and that's ironic. Maybe I'll team with whichever poor God Kai smash64 decides not to team with... >.>

TheKiest

Smash Champion
Overswarm Pool description
Wins minus loss is better, it settles ties easier. (If there is a tie, look at most wins between the tied)

My question is, are the fights best of 3 or just one fight? I have done it best of 3 and it definitely takes awhile.

The prereg list is linked on the first post, though again that is a pre-reg list not the "who will actually be there" list.

Luckily, since we are doing doubles first. We could do singles registration before we start doubles so we can start making the pools (and add the other people if they show up later to just do singles)

As for crew tourne, we might have to combine the two ways you mentioned. Crews that are big enough can just be that crew (OUGA, GOD Kais, Springfield, etc) and people that want to be in the crew tourne anyway can be drafted into smaller crews.

Also if you bring Wiis, it would be very helpful if you could put in players names that have special controls. (No point in adding in names that use default controls since the names can be made on the fly.) This will save a good minute each time the player has to use a different Wii (which will happen). If you really don't want to sit through and do that, I'll be willing to do it during the UFC (Falcon Tourne) on Friday... after I get eliminated.

As for people taking pictures, please try to send them to me right after the tournament or bring the cables needed to transfer them to a computer. I plan on making a slideshow/epilogue video that will put the trailer to shame.

The last thing I'll add to this long post: When the finals (winner's, losers, and Grand) come about, please give people a minute to set up recordings and time to watch if they actually want to. The last few tournaments I have been to lacked this and people wouldn't even know the match was happening until it was already over.

Thing is though, if pools are going to take longer and we are trying to get things done quickly, wouldn't a straight tournament be better?

I'm up for pools but its just a thought that came across my mind reading all of this.

Framerate

Smash Lord
Thing is though, if pools are going to take longer and we are trying to get things done quickly, wouldn't a straight tournament be better?

I'm up for pools but its just a thought that came across my mind reading all of this.
It depends on how many setups we have. If we have so many setups that a bracket tourney would only be like 2 hours, pools wouldn't be an issue. How much longer do pools take than a double elimination bracket?

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
The ideal goal, imo, is to at least assign each pool to 2 tvs to get things moving.
If we had 64 people, it would be nice to have 16 setups (8 pools of 8 people)...which isn't likely.
Is there a setup count going? Would be nice to have definite #s on that so you can be early prepared.

Now you can very well chop up the pools. I've seen some make it a 2 stock best of 3 set.

No matter how you do it, due to being pressed for time, there shouldn't be a major complaint about it. Not by this robot anyways.

lou4222

Smash Lord
In my experience I have found pools to be the best way to go. Whether you eliminate people from them or not it seems like seeding works best. An example of this is at Springfields last smashfest the bracket was unbelievably bottom heavy. Arguably the two best people there ended up playing in the first round, as well as the top players all being in the bottom of the bracket. It was a free tourney so it didnt matter much, but it was very frustrating.

Also its important to start singles pools while the doubles tournament is still going. Maybe when you hit losers finals in doubles, the people who are already eliminated start playing their pools matches. This always speeds up time.

Also dont we have like 10-12 hours to get in three events. I know people dont want to stay until midnight, but 8 or 9 in the evening isnt so bad is it? I think Eric brings up a good point. It would be great to have a set up count on the first page. Just so we have a ball park estimate of how many set ups to expect. Just some toughts. Do with it what you wish:)

Framerate

Smash Lord
Ok then, let's get a setup count.

I can bring 1 tv.

The venue has 4 projectors.

My roommate has Brawl, but not everything unlocked (yet).

So the count so far is 0xWii 1xBrawl 5xTV.

Hence

Smash Ace
Pdiamond and I could probably bring 2 Wiis.
I'll confirm by tonight...

(Btw, I can stage stike on my Wii now. :D
I was missing Luigi's Mansion, but it was probably for the best. )

EDIT: AZ, I honestly want to MM you if you're coming/if there's time. Watching how terribly Snakeee lost to you makes me question my matchup experience against Diddy. $5? ._.

Top Bottom