• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louisville KY s2d tournament a few times a monthly. 08/29/09

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
well i was on the idc list about banning metaknight just letting you all know cause when i beat him with sonic it will be so satisfying.

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
Wow, lotta people arguing the same thing over and over...

Too bad I'm in KC and am going to miss this. I hope Tactical, Taylor, or any Kentuckiana person drops the hammer on OS's ego this weekend.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Wow, lotta people arguing the same thing over and over...

Too bad I'm in KC and am going to miss this. I hope Tactical, Taylor, or any Kentuckiana person drops the hammer on OS's ego this weekend.
I already went there once =P

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
yup and we went over to lexington to play too

OS kinda beat Tac lol ....good times good times

ohh and tac wanted to ask you to teach me some lucy...... believe me it hurts asking you to do this.

wangston

Smash Lord
Just flip flop and unban him. Just wait until the sbr decides to ban Meta though it's not going to happen anytime soon. It's just something that was blown out of proportion and everyone got Meta fever. Unban him now.

Just say you were joking about banning him.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
I do agree with cincy in that the ban was decided too early. their points make sense and there's no reason in any of us trying to argue with them about that. we won't win.

I was looking forward to KY getting merged into the midwest circuit more than anyone else in here, and getting into this big argument with cincy is probably going to prevent this.

tactical, if you want to unban him, I really don't care. it's up to you

Tactical

Banned via Warnings
[logic] Technically it would be impossible to give more than a weeks notice in advance after banning a character because its a weekly tournament. You could discuss the idea, which we did, and say were going to hold the vote on a specific day, which we did, but you can't get much more advanced than that. [/logic]

As for me trying to get meta banned to better my chances of winning, I don't play to win money. I play because its fun and I like competition. If I really played to win the money who do you think I would fight with?

Finally, as I said before, no one that mains Metaknight is going to care. The people that do main metaknight fail in the first place. (imho)

Speaking on a personal basis, you and OS both have comparable secondaries, and from my knowledge no one else that mains meta is going to the tourney. This just seems like a big drama storm to better your chances by playing meta. Its pointless, you don't have a basis to complain.

If you could give me a list of everyone that would go, but isn't going to go because of the metaban, and their reasons for doing so, then power to you. We will unban him. Until then this just seems like a shallow attempt to get a better chance at $200 bucks.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Tactical, you know full well I would destroy you and every single other person at that tournament with whatever character I chose. I got 2nd to Vidjo using ROB at an MK-banned tournament not too long ago... and that had a lot of tough competition.

I'm not gonna tell you how many times bad TOs have screwed smash players. This is an entire day for us, and I don't want to drag all of cincinnati down with me. I still don't even know what the rules are because they keep changing. The SBR made a rule set for occasions just like this, it's almost completely copy/paste. :\

The faster you unban Meta, the faster I'll be telling cincinnati if we're going or not. Currently, it is a tournament in Lexington on Friday that I'm going to... and then Saturday is in the air. YbM is off work, Infern and Smash probably would want to come, Kel and I are both free, Q prolly won't be able to come, Dr. X might want to come, maybe Tyr, E, or Clowsui if they were free.....

But currently the number interested is 1, and that 1 is me just for the extra christmas money. There's no reason to ban Meta a week before the tournament. As for your "logic" brackets, you could, I dunno, have the rules for the championships in advance. >_>

Call me crazy, but I don't like playing basketball all weekend to prepare for a basketball tournament and then be told that it's being changed to soccer.

Tactical

Banned via Warnings
Overswarm said:
Tactical, you know full well I would destroy you and every single other person at that tournament with whatever character I chose. I got 2nd to Vidjo using ROB at an MK-banned tournament not too long ago... and that had a lot of tough competition.
I have no doubt in my mind that you are a serious competitor even without metaknight. All the more reason to not use him.

Overswarm said:
I'm not gonna tell you how many times bad TOs have screwed smash players. This is an entire day for us, and I don't want to drag all of cincinnati down with me. I still don't even know what the rules are because they keep changing. The SBR made a rule set for occasions just like this, it's almost completely copy/paste. :\
The rules keep changing because people kept complaining about them. You yourself have made movements for rule changes, such as the current double blind character pick. I'm not saying it was bad, it was a process agreed upon by the majority that has made some people very happy. Banning metaknight was *also* agreed upon by the majority. You're going to have to apply the same arguments to both rule changes if its all about the "late" warning.

Overswarm said:
The faster you unban Meta, the faster I'll be telling cincinnati if we're going or not. Currently, it is a tournament in Lexington on Friday that I'm going to... and then Saturday is in the air. YbM is off work, Infern and Smash probably would want to come, Kel and I are both free, Q prolly won't be able to come, Dr. X might want to come, maybe Tyr, E, or Clowsui if they were free.....
No offense, but I doubt you can tell Cincinnati if they are going or not, that would be their own decision. The power of a friend's opinion can go a long way in affecting such judgment, but this is an issue more of you saying the tournament is bad as opposed to them deciding so on their own merits. And if they all do in fact have so much against the ban I'm sure you can ask them to share their opinion, or at least quote where said opinion is expressed.

Overswarm said:
But currently the number interested is 1, and that 1 is me just for the extra christmas money. There's no reason to ban Meta a week before the tournament. As for your "logic" brackets, you could, I dunno, have the rules for the championships in advance. >_>
I liked my logic brackets :(
Anyway, it has been talked about for atleast two months, about three weeks ago we said we were going to vote on it soon, and two weeks ago we specified last Saturday as the day of the vote. It has not been a news flash to anyone who has been paying attention.

Overswarm said:
Call me crazy, but I don't like playing basketball all weekend to prepare for a basketball tournament and then be told that it's being changed to soccer.
Well then I guess its a good thing you've been practicing all weekend for a Brawl tournament and are then going to play... Brawl.

Kel

Smash Master
Tactical, if you don't play for money why do you care if other people are using Metaknight? I mean, the whole reason some people believe he should be banned is because he makes the game not competitive. But since you're not playing for money, you shouldn't mind who wins, or with what character.

Once again, this isn't over the fact that Metaknight is banned. This is based off the fact that it's shaky tournament organization.

I think my plans have changed to this Melee tournament Jiano is talking about :)

neji32

Smash Lord
he could still play competitvely without playing for money, he could be playing to prove hes really good, the best or just to give lucario some points.

though im one for meta to no be banned

Harbinger631

Smash Apprentice
Um, yeah, you don't need to play for money to play competitively. For me, competitive play is all about self-improvement, which you measure by wins and losses. Money just adds extra tension and excitement.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
I heard all his points go to anyone else in the game that's the same species and just a different color.... like uh...idk... KIRBY! :)

Bob

Banned via Warnings
The points thing will suck, but we all have to make sacrifices. :laugh:

As for the shaky tournament organization it, it was. this is our first big tournament, give us some slack :( If this happens on the 2ed or 3rd big tournament, then you can yell at us.

(On a semi-related note, I voted for pro ban with a "eh, sure" after it was clear he was getting the ban hammer. I'm not passionate for it or anything)

<-- is Tac btw, I don't know why but it wont let me log into my account, so I just used everyone's favorite dummy account, Bob.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
No I don't work on Saturday....Hehe...I'm free to unleash my Godly Powers on the Realm of Noobs and Johns....RaRaRaRaRa
Rules still haven't changed, so I dunno if you have a ride >_>

I'm gonna be in Lexington on Friday, so one of the other cincinatti guys would have to drive you to this place

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
Hmmmm...I'll see if Infern is Driving...Or Maybe I can talk my Lady into Driving me down there...hehehe...which would be interesting

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Hmmmm...I'll see if Infern is Driving...Or Maybe I can talk my Lady into Driving me down there...hehehe...which would be interesting
Might have to get your lady to do it... last I heard Infern was ditching this for the smash64 tournament in Cincinnati

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
WOOOOWWWW!!! That is so so so Gay....And I saw the Video on youtube of you calling me Impatient...that was hilarious....

QUIVO

Smash Master
Even if it is the first time you guys run a big tournament, there's no excuse for banning him a week ahead of time.

Also tactical only had like 1 win out of the 8 or so tournament matches we had : )

Bob

Banned via Warnings
But I hadn't eaten all day, and I hadn't gotten much sleep the night before, and I hadn't fought a good toon link before, and and and... Yeah, I got owned :laugh:

Still though, I went even with you earlier, I think I can pull off a win with some more practice ;)

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I'm want to stay mostly out of this, but I have a couple things to say.

1 OS, you're being hilariously contradictory, and kind of an ***. Do you need to practice meta, or are you going to kick our scrubby ***** with any character you bring? Decide plz. Also, your game with tac was WAY closer than your victory pie would suggest. A 3 match set is grounds for a cookie at most.

2 Tac's hitler example a)made sense b)was relevant. Whether or not it used (wtf?) hitler. And banning snakedashing mid tourny is nowhere near relevant here. It's not even close to the same thing.

3. I don't really care if meta is banned or not, and I don't really care if cincinatti decides to show up.

edit: Addition, 4. josh, learn to bag smalls. you sucked at your job tonight. Bags should hold boxes, not spill them into my truck and be empty.

QUIVO

Smash Master
It's ok tactical : ) Your lucarios still good.

Also Friendlies =/= tournament matches. I think almost everyone will try harder in a tournament match. I don't pay attention as much in friendlies unless I'm playing some character I'm trying to learn.

Joshkip

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Joshkip
3DS FC
0447-5552-4282
edit: Addition, 4. josh, learn to bag smalls. you sucked at your job tonight. Bags should hold boxes, not spill them into my truck and be empty.
hey i do my job ****it! it must be the area in the back that is giving you crappy bags :chuckle:

and thats a bold move you just did there CR4SH

Tactical

Banned via Warnings
Woo, accounts working again :bee:

It'd be cool if people still showed up though. No matter what happens a good time should still be had by all, we're all friends after all. If not friends we're at least friendly ;)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I'm want to stay mostly out of this, but I have a couple things to say.

1 OS, you're being hilariously contradictory, and kind of an ***. Do you need to practice meta, or are you going to kick our scrubby ***** with any character you bring? Decide plz. Also, your game with tac was WAY closer than your victory pie would suggest. A 3 match set is grounds for a cookie at most.

2 Tac's hitler example a)made sense b)was relevant. Whether or not it used (wtf?) hitler. And banning snakedashing mid tourny is nowhere near relevant here. It's not even close to the same thing.

3. I don't really care if meta is banned or not, and I don't really care if cincinatti decides to show up.

I think I've lost a grand total of one game against Tactical ever, and that was me walking in and playing my first match against him after he had been playing for some time. I then beat him in tournament, then in friendlies later, so on, so on. He's not a bad Lucario, but the games between us got further apart, not closer.

The reason I care is twofold.

One, this weekend was originally anywhere from 4-10 people coming to Louisville from cincinnati, most of them cmoing to Lexington with me on Friday for the other tournament. We didn't like the rules and the lack of organization, but whatever. We'll give them a bre- wait, what? Did they just ban a character that no one in their area save for one guy plays less than a week before the tournament? WTF? Tactical was at our smashfest in cincinnati and didn't mention this; if he had, I would have practiced someone other than Metaknight the entire tournament. Practice is important if you want to stay sharp. Its pretty offensive to me to have the character I main banned at such short notice after I've been invited by a couple people in this thread specifically to this tournament.

"Hey, come to our tournamnet, it'll be awesome! Oh, and we're banning your character."

Now Cincinnati is finding better things to do because I'm the only one that goes to these things expecting to get 1rst 100% of the time. It's hard to pass up tournament winnings this close to Christmas, but they don't have tournament winnings as a guarantee (netiher do I, but I do in my head!) so... what reason do they have to go? Playing smash with strangers that are willing to change rules mere days before a tournament but not change them back with a questionable (and unclear) ruleset in the first place, or.... something else.

So, it's me driving by myself instead of spending a weekend with my friends, who are now scattered in various directions. When the only reason you have to go to a tournament is money, it sucks and feels like a 9 to 5 job. This could have been easily avoided by people just saying "Hey, let's not be ***** and ban the character that we know full well would only be played by Overswarm".

Its irritating knowing that I was planning on coming and this was decided anyway and no one thought to say "Hey, there are people coming from a ways away from this that have planned their weekends around this, maybe we shouldn't screw them over". It's even more irritating knowing that I'm not going to be able to convince people from other states to come down to KY for stuff like this because most smash communities haven't seen tournaments run like this in forever.

cAm8ooo

Smash Lord
That would be cool. You could have whatever rules you wanted and could for sure bring in some people. Kentucky needs some bigger tournaments.

Top Bottom