• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Louisiana Brawl Power Ranking - 12/14/09 Update!

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Go to tournaments regularly and do well. Placing well helps, but it's really important who you win against and lose to. Consistency is also important. If you can repeatedly beat good people and place well, it helps a lot.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
As far as Smashers who live in different states throughout the year, how does the PR go? In my case, I go to UT during the school year and come back home to LA during the summer. I was always curious as to how that works exactly.

-Ran

Smash Master
To be on the Power Ranking, you need to consistently attend tournaments in the state. Our PR is often updated every few months, and so only being in La for a few months won't be enough to enter into the PR. This is mostly due to the nature of everyone getting better, so it would be impossible for you to contest your spot after you'd leave. Power rankings more or less are for your 'home' state where you play the most. It's a list that shows the representatives of the state when we go OOS as well as dictates seeding for tournaments.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Well since GW7 I managed to place quite well, at least mid rankings. Seeing as we usually get like 40 poeple I place a little better than 20(like this past time I got 17 ^_^)

Though if we went to 20 placings for PR I might get in there, though I'm not really for it. =/

It would be better if I made honorable mention.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Update! This took a while because we had a lot of discussion. As a result, most of the list was agreed upon by most panelists, and the top 10 as a whole was unanimous.

We've had a lot change this time around. Lee stayed put. Hyro and r0ni stepped it up, and there are some new faces.

-Ran

Smash Master
First off, congrats to Jnig and Blaine for making it onto the PR. I feel that at this point John Wu needs to be added to Honorable Mention at the very least.

Not trying to come off like a tool, but I'm kinda curious as to how Randall is still above me despite me beating him every time I've ever played him in a tournament. I understand I missed ONE tournament [Gameware Monthly], but Roni has missed tournaments as well. [We even placed the same in the last tournament we both attended [5th]. Though he has played during the past month against Lee a lot, and has evidently become amazing. <3]

Now the power ranking is only a number, so I'm not going to indulge in a massive debate, I just wanted to pose the question.

Sudai

Stuff here
There's a lot more to consider than just you vs Randall when looking at the placings of both of you. The panel takes into account a number of things including, but not limited to, tournament placings, money matches, who people have beaten, and who people have lost to. You say that you've beaten Randall every time you played, but it's possible that Randall does better against higher ranking players than you do. There's a number of other things that may have ultimately been the decider, but I'm pretty sure that that's the reason.

eet

Smash Ace
change "power ranking" to "ionly 10 ppl who play barawl"

well if someone wants to come up with a melee pr, i was thinking something like:

[kyle, taylor, tim]
[lee, sudai, freddy, ken, eet, patrick, jon wu]

where the [] brackets indicate players with equivalent skill. (basically **** could go either way)
not sure about tims place, or if jon wu still plays? plus im missing like half the players but **** it.

Sudai

Stuff here
Eric, if we wanna do that, we might as well split the threads into "Louisiana Melee" and "Louisiana Brawl."

If we were to do that, this could be the Brawl thread and we could reclaim the old Melee thread for Melee. :o

'V'

Smash Lord
change "power ranking" to "ionly 10 ppl who play barawl"

well if someone wants to come up with a melee pr, i was thinking something like:

[kyle, taylor, tim]
[lee, sudai, freddy, ken, eet, patrick, jon wu]

where the [] brackets indicate players with equivalent skill. (basically **** could go either way)
not sure about tims place, or if jon wu still plays? plus im missing like half the players but **** it.
We wouldn't really need it for Melee either. We would still already know who's good and Melee tourneys happen even less often than Brawl tourneys do. At least for right now.

eet

Smash Ace
meh, there doesnt havent to be a reason to make a power ranking (besides, if you wanna sit around and anlayze, there aint no reason to do anything) ... and how bout you guys post random bull**** on here 24/7 so some ppl thought theyd try to talk about smash lol now theres a good reason =P i mean, i dont care at all .. im jus saying its better than nothin. lol

bo hee

Curlz

Smash Lord
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Arcadia place higher at MechaCon and Rocket's Hideout? JNig only placed higher than Arcadia (by one place) at Lafayette's Play N Trade and the Shindig at their house. Arcadia has placed higher for so much longer. Also, Arcadia beat Sudai out of the loser's bracket at MechaCon and placed top 4. JNig was only able to beat Arcadia a couple times.

Arcadia said himself that he only "half-quit". He said that he stopped attempting to get better at the game, but he didn't completely quit. I think Arcadia should be on the list.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Bump because I don't believe the discussion is limited to the people on the panel. I feel almost bad that no one's said anything Warning! over a month ago. All because a few melee/anti-PR comments have been made, it shouldn't silence us. If yall wanna make a separate Melee PR, go ahead, especially after tomorrow, and I would like that Brawl players not troll/spam on their thread, as I would expect Melee players not to in ours. I haven't replied to your comment, Curlz, because, until recently, I couldn't come up with a valid reason. Sure I had beaten him the last few times, and he beat me before that, so technically, I've evened up the score. But the time has come where I have improved just that much more than him that I have surpassed him, and it would take a vast improvement on his part to beat me. Plus we're brothers, we just know these things even by too many friendlies ;) .

Besides, I not-so-secretly would like an update on this list. It HAS been over a month ago... but I personally think there hasn't been enough tourneys to encourage an update.

HOWEVER, at the same time, at these tourneys, some people haven't attended most of them, which in turn affects their ranking, does it not? Thoughts? How about a heated debate in here? CAM ON! HYES!

And for those of you who think highly of me, only ONCE have I actually shown my "potential" that people talk about in tournament, and that was at a 6-person tourney! Maybe it was the lack of pressure of a big turnout...

And guess what? As eet said:

its better than nothin. lol
Long post is waaaay too long. :ohwell: Wow, glad that's over.

shoopidydobopzippityzoopzap

-Ran

Smash Master
It's just a number. No one in Louisiana wants the competition of being ranked highly on the power ranking. Since no one puts any stock into it, it isn't really fun to strive for. Sure, we all want to win when we go to a tournament, but we don't have the need for self vindication on a top ten list. It only is relevant when seeding is done during a tournament.

Sometimes power rankings can be exceedingly fun where people are fighting [in a friendly manner] non stop to get to the top. Other times they are abusive to friendships/communities. For whatever reason, our community just doesn't care.

Ps: I really, really want to care about the PR, but to be one of the few that does would make me feel like a tool.

Curlz

Smash Lord
It's just a number. No one in Louisiana wants the competition of being ranked highly on the power ranking.
I do.
When/If I actually leave smash, I want to be top 10. Being on the top 10 is something more I strive for more than placing high at a tournament. I don't know if I'm the only one that feels that way, but I just thought I'd share my two cents on the matter.
Its the only reason I play so many MMs. I do horrible in Tournaments so I feel as if MMs could help me out a bit.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Imo, hold off on the PR until we get at least 2 consecutive Brawl tournaments up. If not we can just give up on PR for Brawl, and set up a Melee one since a melee tournament will be more reliable to count on happening. Plus PR didn't really matter too much from the beginning, we knew who was best by word of mouth.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
I went ahead and added this to AS thread. Let me know when you guys want to start one for melee so I can update it later :)

'V'

Smash Lord
I went ahead and added this to AS thread. Let me know when you guys want to start one for melee so I can update it later :)
There's one on the front page of the actual LA Thread, though we don't really take that one to heart either...

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
The new list is up. It's based on tournaments/ MMs/ etc. from the past few months through LasT 4. Maybe we'll have enough tournaments in the near future to get more regular updates going again.

Blaino

Smash Cadet
Put Samus before ZSS for me Randall plz! I'm only gonna use ZSS for teams mostly now, and stick with Samus for singles.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Sweet, I'm not on the PR list yet! I told you all I wouldn't get on it! Hooray for me!
ONE DAY! ONE DAY! YOU'LL SEE! YOUR TIME WILL COME!

anyways, you made honorable only because you are relatively new to the smash scene, but the next time PR rolls around you will place in top 10 as long as you keep placing high.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
ONE DAY! ONE DAY! YOU'LL SEE! YOUR TIME WILL COME!

anyways, you made honorable only because you are relatively new to the smash scene, but the next time PR rolls around you will place in top 10 as long as you keep placing high.
Yea, I guess my sarcasm is getting a little stale. Also, I think I wanna change my tourney name from NiTEZ to Whodat. Only ppl from LA will get it though if I ever go Oos, which I won't be able to do until this May at the earliest, summer at the latest. :laugh:

Bomber7

Smash Hero
I should just enter under PK Fire and then when I'm called, not show myself. :p

but that ain't gonna happen.
anyway, congrats to everyone who remained on PR.. just moving up and down...

Pritch

Smash Lord
Yea, I guess my sarcasm is getting a little stale. Also, I think I wanna change my tourney name from NiTEZ to Whodat. Only ppl from LA will get it though if I ever go Oos, which I won't be able to do until this May at the earliest, summer at the latest. :laugh:
I imagine a lot of people would think it's a play on chudat.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I imagine a lot of people would think it's a play on chudat.
Yea, a thought like that popped in my head!
"Hey you goin to Winterfest 10?!"
"Hellz yea, dude! I hear Whodat's gonna be there!"
"Who dat? You mean Chudat right?"
"No, I mean that new guy Whodat?"
"New guy? Who dat?"

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
HOORAY! Finally, after almost forever indeed... its done.

Haha Arcadia you're on the PR. jk good job bro, you ARE that good. The bros movin on up!

Roni, you better become more active or I'm gonna pass you up! shoopitydoopbop!

LA too good.

Top Bottom