• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Long Live Hit Stun II-A Melee tournament in North Haven CT-OCT 11th, 2008

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
every time I've seen a match on Green Greens, it's been about 2 minutes long with many deaths off the top. Seriously, it's not even close to as gay as camping Pokefloats, and I'd say it's roughly as gay for Fox vs. Peach/Jiggs as Mute City or Brinstar is for Peach/Jiggs vs. Fox. If you want nothing but neutrals, do that, but all counterpicks are gay (that's the point of them), so get over GG's gayness if you like other counterpick stages.

Skler

Smash Master
I'm against Green Greens, honestly, look at those ****ing blocks. If there were no blocks and just a retardedly low ceiling and close edges I wouldn't mind it, but the blocks gimp people and **** everything up. I'd just camp on that stage all day, Link is pretty decent at that.

Banks we should roy ditto on green greens a few times.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Are banned neutrals knocked out from random only, or are they knocked out as counterpicks as well?

Wife

Smash Lord
Ok so it looks like MD is bringing 5 people to this. Hat tells me we can get housing?

lol @ 8 dollar entrance fee that's pretty ridiculous but oh well it's Melee so we'll be there.

money matches?

let's goez!

mogwai -- i'm real bad with names. are you the guy who was my best friend and **** at that one tournament where I teamed with Plank and we got 2nd?

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
Ok so it looks like MD is bringing 5 people to this. Hat tells me we can get housing?

lol @ 8 dollar entrance fee that's pretty ridiculous but oh well it's Melee so we'll be there.

money matches?

let's goez!

mogwai -- i'm real bad with names. are you the guy who was my best friend and **** at that one tournament where I teamed with Plank and we got 2nd?
lol, I dunno if I was your best friend and ****, but I was the guy running Smashtastrophe 2 where you and Plank beat Eggm and Chu to get 2nd in teams, and we hung out for a bit, so probably.

I can't guarantee housing right now, just because I may be in MD for the weekend with my girl instead, but assuming I'm around, you guys should be good to crash here. I should know by Wednesday if I'll be around or not, so I'll keep you in the loop.

Alukard

Smash Hero
can someone pick me and djn from middletown CT saturday morning ??

or mayb we can meet them sumwhere =\ lemme kno!

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Middletown is pretty much right on my route. I could probably pick you guys up.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Green Greens is still up for discussion. We will decide on the day of the tournament.

Wife-It's not an 8 dollar entrance fee. Its two dollars and its eight dollars per person for doubles and the same obviously for singles. Basically I am charging people ten dollars so that they automatically enter SOMETHING. If you can not find any form of housing I will house you as a last resort. Please do see if Mogwai can help you out though seeing as I am already housing around ten people.

Dazwa-Yeah, good point. I'm probably going to be banning pokegay too. Also-I meant signaure the other day...not avatar...my mistake.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
i think i might be one of the people coming with wife, not sure if that 5 included me

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
Dazwa-Yeah, good point. I'm probably going to be banning pokegay too. Also-I meant signaure the other day...not avatar...my mistake.
I was joking about floats, I counterpicked there all the time in Melee and it remains my favorite stage in the enire series <_<

Skler

Smash Master
Pokefloats is pretty legit. Green Greens has exploding blocks from hell, apples of death and exploding apples of death, Pokefloats has giant adorable pokemon that distract me with their wonderfulness and whimsy.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
So I just talked to my girlfriend and I'm gonna have to back out of going to this...

I'm not really happy about it, but in the grand scheme of things, making sure my girlfriend and my relationship are OK is more important than a smash tournament (even if it's one where I'd get to see MD again).

So, sorry to Wife's car, but I won't be good for housing, and sorry to everyone else that I won't be able to make it. Hopefully the rest of my life will be in order shortly and I can start carefree smashing again... :(

Hazygoose

Smash Lord
wow i was going to go to this until i realized i would be charged a venue fee for hanging out in someone's basement. that's just silly/****ing ridiculous. and don't give me any "hosting" BS either, i've hosted multiple tournaments in the south including one where money came out of my own pocket to afford a venue big enough, even with a small entry fee for participants. that's all i'll say about that since i'm not even considering coming.

gl though, have fun all! (sorry i'm not coming, spawn :( )

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
2 dollars is serious business! chu has been charging $2 for his biweeklies for god knows how long and we dont complain. i didnt realize the NE was full of so many whiny brats

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
seriously guys, MD is dead on about this. $2 is nothing. Running a tournament is a pain, straight up.

I basically ended up breaking even on the Smashtastrophes in Pittsburgh (lost money on Stash 1, gained a little on Stash 2), and at the end of the day, it wasn't worth it to me. I'm glad I got to run some rockin' tournaments for everyone, but to me, they were more trouble than they were worth. For running a tournament, you don't get to play as much as you'd like to, you have to be responsible for everything and deal with everyone's ****. It's real work running a tourney and anyone who argues that hasn't run a good tournament, and anyone who says that TOs should just suck it up and do it without any compensation are just being unreasonable IMO.

Alukard

Smash Hero
yea running tournies really sucks ... and its not that serious its only $2 ... when people run tournies ... they dont get any friendlies till its too late because they are too busy helping YOU with ur usually dum questions and problems

noodles

Smash Champion
nvm i should be coming. for friendlies though. ill bring a setup minus a tv (for friendlies if space allows it
) anyone can bring an extra tv?

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
seriously guys, MD is dead on about this. $2 is nothing. Running a tournament is a pain, straight up.

I basically ended up breaking even on the Smashtastrophes in Pittsburgh (lost money on Stash 1, gained a little on Stash 2), and at the end of the day, it wasn't worth it to me. I'm glad I got to run some rockin' tournaments for everyone, but to me, they were more trouble than they were worth. For running a tournament, you don't get to play as much as you'd like to, you have to be responsible for everything and deal with everyone's ****. It's real work running a tourney and anyone who argues that hasn't run a good tournament, and anyone who says that TOs should just suck it up and do it without any compensation are just being unreasonable IMO.
i'm going to start charging for Mass Madness. :D

Okay not really but he has a point.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
I mean charging for myself.
The store cut is helping the store stay in business/buy better **** for tournaments.
omfg that new speaker system is amazing beyond belief.

MattDotZeb

Smash Hero
No.
Game Universe is short on employees on Saturday. Which happens to also be the day of a madden/guitar hero tournament at the store.
They'd have 2 employees for it.
Jamie (Owner/boss man) asked me to fill in for one of the employees. I'd have done it regardless, but he also said he'd pay me $8 a hour for it.

Probably just a one time thing.

Top Bottom