• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Long Live Hit Stun II-A Melee tournament in North Haven CT-OCT 11th, 2008

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Well, I wasn't at the first one, but my understanding of it was that it was advertised as a tournament, but people arrived and treated it like a smashfest. The $2 is supposed to guarantee that if you show up, you're going to enter the tournament, since you're already putting money on the line.

That's my interpretation of it anyway, I could be wrong.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=7112063&
Jam, that's a big portion of it. Last time we had people pull a last minute john and just say "Well, I don't have enough money" "I used too much of my money in MM's..." and so on. Some of you also need to take into consideration that I am housing 10+ people when I said FIVE. A little stretch, wouldn't you say? The 10 dollar entry is to lock in your position for singles and the two dollars is going towards- - -

the electricity bill we'll have to pay for running 8+ TV's ALL DAY LONG (Which I contribute to now)
Me taking care of all of you guys and keeping tabs on everything and everyone.
Giving you guys water, cups, showing you all where the bathroom is, and other stuff that you'll probably ask me.
and just the overall process of planning and moving things around in my house. This is not a walk in the park to plan and prepare for this tournament. I need to plan where TV's will be going, move furniture around, show people where to put all their crap, and so much more.

KevinM-I also downloaded a movie for you. Does Digital Mayhem download Pokemon III for you? :)

Edit-Boxman-Now I just feel bad. :( You can come inside! :) haha

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Jam, that's a big portion of it. Last time we had people pull a last minute john and just say "Well, I don't have enough money" "I used too much of my money in MM's..." and so on. Some of you also need to take into consideration that I am housing 10+ people when I said FIVE. A little stretch, wouldn't you say? The 10 dollar entry is to lock in your position for singles and the two dollars is going towards- - -
I don't understand. What exactly is the issue with people showing up but not wanting to enter? It's not like it's costing you a dime to run this.

the electricity bill we'll have to pay for running 8+ TV's ALL DAY LONG (Which I contribute to now)
Me taking care of all of you guys and keeping tabs on everything and everyone.
Giving you guys water, cups, showing you all where the bathroom is, and other stuff that you'll probably ask me.
and just the overall process of planning and moving things around in my house. This is not a walk in the park to plan and prepare for this tournament. I need to plan where TV's will be going, move furniture around, show people where to put all their crap, and so much more.
LOL.

How much do you think electricity costs? Because I'll guarantee you it isn't anywhere near sixty to seventy dollars per day. If you're charging us for TAP WATER (I can't even type that with a straight face), I will gladly go out and buy my own every time I get thirsty. Hell, I'll FAST for the entire day.

If I'm being charged for DIRECTIONS TO THE BATHROOM (LMFAO), I will GLADLY shit in the woods.

Garrett, THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. Think about where the TV's you're going to have to "plan for" are coming from. Think about the HUNDREDS OF MILES that people are driving in order to play Melee with you. Compared to that, you barely have to lift a finger. The absolute LEAST you can do is put all of the money in the pot.

I say again: IT IS NOT COSTING YOU A DIME TO RUN THIS TOURNAMENT. The only reason you're imposing this fee is because YOU WANT MONEY. Just admit it.

I try REALLY hard to be nice to you and I've stuck up for you a LOT, Garrett. You're not making it easy.

Big_R

Smash Champion
wtf smash kids always jack **** up hardcore. wut about all the cleaning he will pry have to do

lol none of my business but ya. its 2 bucks. unless thats on top of a venue fee 2 bucks venue is not bad regardless of wut the venue is.

if it is on top of a venue fee. then step yo game up and dont do that bro

ZoSo

Smash Champion
A place like Digital Mayhem imposes a venue fee because they're a place of business. They have to turn a profit.

This tournament is at his house. It's like inviting people over to hang out and then saying, "By the way, I'm charging you to come hang out with me."

th0rn

Smash Lord
If anything, just take five dollars from the pot, regardless of how much is in it.... instead of taking around 60-100???

Banks and I host large smashfests all the time and we don't charge a dime. We have about ten setups and we have to move furniture too.

Big_R

Smash Champion
well have u had 30 ppl in your house messing your stuff up and had to run a tourny?

it'd be stressful to say the least.

pry will have to buy etra toilitries

run the ac

idk stuff goes into tournys that ppl dont think about.

its just 2 bucks. ppl saying they would go out and buy their own water would just lose a profit unless they buy 1 bottle...

just give the man a couple dollars.

end of the day he will pry only make like 40 max. thats pain and suffering money loll

i like this thorn character a lil bit of money outta the pot isnt a bad idead instead of so much.

ppl like u when u r a tourny host who gets johned on afterwards

Roman.

Smash Champion
garrett all im saying is if there's a venue fee... i'd better have a pillow with me everywhere i sit.... a cupholder everywhere i drink... and no line for the bathroom at anytime

but on the other hand... you could just make the entry fee $8 and put it ALL towards the pot

btw at long live hitstun 1 in the morning i think we spent about an hour cleaning up the mess as best as possible honestly i don't think we'll mind helping out putting empty bottles into a bag... i'll even bring it outside for you when im leaving

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Alright Alright Alright

I'm going to have to meet you guys half way here because some of you do not agree with what is going down.

The pot will probably be at least $240.00 respectively.....agreed?

Is 5% of the pot going to me respectable then?

Therefore, the entry fee is eight dollars......no ten dollars. Fair enough? Y

ZoSo

Smash Champion
its just 2 bucks. ppl saying they would go out and buy their own water would just lose a profit unless they buy 1 bottle...
I wouldn't mind paying ten bucks as long as I know all of it is going into the pot.

Garrett, I'm going out in a sec and I don't have time to talk. I think Kevin should be IM'ing you shortly. We'll discuss this later.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
If anything, just take five dollars from the pot, regardless of how much is in it.... instead of taking around 60-100???

Banks and I host large smashfests all the time and we don't charge a dime. We have about ten setups and we have to move furniture too.
Much respect.

if 30 people enter you would make as much as second place. just saying >.>
Word.

And who the **** is Big R, you're acting like smashers are some kind of whirlwind.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
YourStillxWithMe: I wish you a merry christmas and a happy new year. No venue fee and I'm not taking money out of the pot.

Listen up and listen good!!!! $#@%@#$^#$^!!!!!

I have just finished talking to KevinM about the venue fee charge. The venue fee is now gone and I will not be taking any form of money out of the pot. In return I expect each and everyone of you to clean up your mess and help keep my house clean.

It is now TEN DOLLARS TO ENTER SINGLES and this is REQUIRED. If you do not show up with the ten dollars for SINGLES DO NOT COME!!!!

Regards and hope to see you all Saturday!

-Garrett

Big_R

Smash Champion
dude have u not looked at a bathroom after 30 ppl use it? thats mainly what im saying. stuff like that is gross. there's always a few ppl who dont respect stuff who ruin it for others.

ive paid a venue fee for someones house so ya...

i mean maybe its cuz i knew who was running it. if u think this guy is rly gonna take ur money and profit instead of break even then i guess u can ontinue to raise hell. doesnt seem like the case tho

i figured it was about the mess...............

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Isn't Garrett's house a venue? So what's the big deal with a venue fee?

Let's look at it like this: Garrett is providing a service- a centralized location for people to come together and play other people that they would otherwise not be able to play under normal circumstances. What is the problem with profiting from providing that service?

Or let's look at it another way: you guys are asking Garrett to provide a place for you to come in, make money, and then leave him flat. No offense to Garrett, but he's not going to win any money at this tournament. So it's okay for the winners to walk away richer, but not the guy that gave you a place to play?

It's $2. Most of you are going somewhere the week after that's going to ask you for $10, and you're going to willingly fork it over. I don't recall any major gnashing of teeth when DM started charging venue fees, but it's fine to just pile on Garrett. Electricity is NOT FREE. If we bring 8 TVs and 8 systems to his house that day, that's sixteen more electrical devices that need to be powered for a pretty significant part of the day.

EDIT- Well, now the whole thing is academic.

ZoSo

Smash Champion
Jam, nobody twisted his arm and asked him to host a tournament. Also, him getting "left flat" leaves him no worse off than the rest of the players who travelled hundreds of miles, paid for their entry, and didn't place top 3.

I'm all for helping Garrett clean up afterward and I figured it was pretty much unspoken that you show some respect when somebody welcomes you into their home.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Jam, nobody twisted his arm and asked him to host a tournament. Also, him getting "left flat" leaves him no worse off than the rest of the players who travelled hundreds of miles, paid for their entry, and didn't place top 3.

I'm all for helping Garrett clean up afterward and I figured it was pretty much unspoken that you show some respect when somebody welcomes you into their home.
No one twists your arm into going. It is your choice to avail yourself of a service being provided to you. And usually, you must pay for services that you choose to use.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Thank You for your support Boxman.

The Venue Fee is now GONE for this tournament. It is now TEN DOLLARS to come inside my houseand that will cover you for singles. All of your ten dollars will go towards the pot. If you do not have ten dollars...you will not be entering anything. It is now also 20 dollars to do doubles.

However, the debate on whether or not it is reasonable to charge a venue fee for a tournament in someones home WILL BE presented to the debate hall. I personally do not think that asking for two dollars is a lot of money or much to ask but, for this tournament I will let it go. Please, do keep in mind that the next LLHS a similar Venue FEE MIGHT be added.

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
The Venue Fee is now GONE for this tournament. It is now TEN DOLLARS to come inside my houseand that will cover you for singles. All of your ten dollars will go towards the pot. If you do not have ten dollars...you will not be entering anything. It is now also 20 dollars to do doubles.
What if I plan on only entering doubles?

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Sick Avatar Dazwa.

Since the venue fee is now gone you need to enter singles.

erm....yeah I guess you can just enter doubles. Point is-I want people entering SINGLES.

I dont want another smashfest. I want a tournament.

I hope you guys see where I'm coming from....I want this to be a good turnout with loads of entrants.

HAT-Are you Husband?

wWw Dazwa

#BADMAN
I don't want to enter Melee singles

edit: unless that's husband posting on hat's name, no, it isn't.

HAT

Smash Ace
lol no, i'm not husband.

to those of you who are complaining about a venue fee- what the ****?

venue fees have existed since the beginning of smash tournaments. and if you say "it doesn't cost you anything to run this tournament" you're a ****ing moron.

have you hosted a tournament before? it's stressful ****. especially if its big. so **** you, and your ****. any kind of venue fee under 15 dollars a person is perfectly reasonable. there's nothing wrong with someone trying to make a profit from running a tournament.

jesus christ if this recession makes everyone as much of a jew as you ***s are, i'm just going to end myself.

EDIT- ROFL. i ***** with ICs at georgia?

rofl. i don't remember that.. i don't play ICs.

Prince Of Fire

Smash Lord
Dazwa-That is fine. You must enter something though.

MattDotZeb: I'm getting paid to run a tournament
MattDotZeb: I can't pass that up =(
MattDotZeb: I love the store (game universe) and I'm getting paid

Wait a sec.....Matts making profit from a tournament!!!! Stupid Matt.

I'm sorry guys but I'm honestly very bothered by the fact that some of you feel that having a venue fee is ridiculous considering its my own house.

You guys need to stop and think about all of this for one second- - -

The 14+ cars lined up in the street that other people driving by have to get around. (My street is decently tight.)

The Electricity used to power wiis, GCs, HDTV's, Standard TVS, ALL DAY LONG with lights on all rooms in my basement.

I'm providing each and everyone of you a place to meet up with people to play video games. I'm also providing a place for some of you to MAKE MONEY.

I need to take all of you to get food.

My venue fee is probably the cheapest you'll ever see.....EVER. Go pay Digital Mayhem a ten dollar entry fee. THAT SUCKS.

Stop being jewish and pay the two dollars.

I love all of you guys but seriously, stop making this such a big deal. Two dollars. Are you kidding me?

A majority of the people on here either accept or agree to the idea of a venue fee. Jam would DEFINITELY not stick up for me if he thought I was wrong with the idea of charging people two dollars. Having that being said I've decided that EVERYTHING is staying the EXACT SAME way I had it from the get go.

If some of you now decide not to go, you will be missed.

I'm sorry that this was such a big deal and that this had to take up a couple of pages.

I am not trying to sucker you for money. If that was the case, I'd charge you 5+ dollars.

Top Bottom