• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Location Confirmed, Sending Videos* - R.O.B. Video Thread (Latest update 1/27)

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
LOL chz1 you are so stupid, the only analogy you can make to poker is that if you get pocket aces you should never play them because it's just not fair, the hand is too good and you should give your opponent more of a chnance by letting them have fun..

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
How bout we play in smash, since this is smashboards, say, $500 since you make oh so much money? Seriously I will bring $500 and we can have someone hold all of it and play for it, that's how scared I am of you in Brawl LOL

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Hmm.. that is quite the offer.

See in Poker i know i could out play you...

but even in Smash i'll give you the credit you deserve.. you are a good player [not better than me ofcourse].

Then again.. you also main MetaKnight...

a direct ROB counter.

This is like Meep MMing Doll in Melee...

Silly for Meep.

Meep could win, but it would be much harder for him, and one UpB could cost me $500... and though the offer is tempting i can only extend it to a nice game of Holdem...

Not ROB/MK smash.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
did you miss a decimal point? ;________;

if so, I'd love to play Hold 'em for $5-20 buy in...if it's $5, winner takes all, if not, 3rd gets money back, 2nd doubles their money, and 1st gets the rest.

EDIT: the difference between 1st and 2nd should be double the buy-in amount. not necessarily double the money for 2nd place.

of course if it's not that many people, that changes things too >_> WHATEVER **** will be agreed upon before it starts. Also: I'm watching Shadow now...

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Hmm.. that is quite the offer.

See in Poker i know i could out play you...

but even in Smash i'll give you the credit you deserve.. you are a good player [not better than me ofcourse].

Then again.. you also main MetaKnight...

a direct ROB counter.

This is like Meep MMing Doll in Melee...

Silly for Meep.

Meep could win, but it would be much harder for him, and one UpB could cost me $500... and though the offer is tempting i can only extend it to a nice game of Holdem...

Not ROB/MK smash.
wow what a huge johner

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
Your entire post screams "I'm a scrub"

Play to win, idiot. That's like playing baseball and not stealing bases cuz it's cheap. Or playing football and never throwing the ball cuz it's unfair. It's in the game, it's fair to do. No sportsmanship involved.

As for your little money comment, I make about $25 an hour on an average day, so i don't want to hear it.

And mk's twice as good as me? I'd like to see one. From the people i've played they've all said I was the hardest MK to fight besides forte, and azen said I was even harder than him. I don't want to hear your scrubtalk, I've been professional in 4 games because I have a winning mentality and I don't let myself get held back by what's "cheap".
Hold on Plank, I got nothing against you, but I think you're confusing the "do whatever it takes" ideology with the "do as little as it takes" ideology.

There are different ways to go about winning with Metaknight, clearly.
But a style like your's is not playing to win, it's doing as little as possible to win. Understand?

You can't defend a gay style by saying you play to win, because there are always other ways of winning. You need a better argument to defend **** like that. If you had no other choice but to play gay to win, then by all means, play to win.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
*combos thumbs with his own bananas*
<3<3<3

rofl I'll see if I can get the other matches that weren't absolute shenanigans...although you were going absolutely inSANE off the edge...it either got you the stock or it took yours haha

EDIT: Shadow, understandably, had trouble getting back on the stage against Marth. He took a beating in the beginning of the third match but brought it back...also, I only watched once but it seems he maximizes the weak laser's chip damage racking abilities as well as for match momentum resets...constantly throwing out the gyro, helped him with stage control. When he DID glide toss, it was usually effective.

Moral of the story in those matches though: it's much easier to punish ROB's missed aerials as Marth than vice versa. Seems like you could rely on boxing them (Marths) to limit their aerial maneuverability, but it's still a risky proposition. Maybe you could try baiting aerials with empty jumps and then do a fair and pull back midway so the tip stays out there which is longer than Marth's sword...but Marth is so fast.

Projectiles are probably the best course of action. rack up damage instead of baiting [ROB is too slow to punish]
wait, I'm talking in circles. ****. i don't know...*goes back to work*

thumbswayup

Smash Master
LMFAO haha I'm crazy in friendlies. Actually I think I'm way better in them than in tournies because I don't hold back. I'm too nervous and reserved in tourny matches. LOL post the link to that match where you combo'd me with my own bannanas whenever you upload it. I have to see that crazy **** again lol.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
Hold on Plank, I got nothing against you, but I think you're confusing the "do whatever it takes" ideology with the "do as little as it takes" ideology.

There are different ways to go about winning with Metaknight, clearly.
But a style like your's is not playing to win, it's doing as little as possible to win. Understand?

You can't defend a gay style by saying you play to win, because there are always other ways of winning. You need a better argument to defend **** like that. If you had no other choice but to play gay to win, then by all means, play to win.
That's not true, Hugo. If you read earlier in the thread you'd see that the only reason I was playing this way is because before the tournament on Sunday i never used the tornado, literally, ever. Maybe 1-2 times a match. I spent the entire day, tournament matches included, learning the physics and uses of it, I still have substantial knowledge and ability to play without the tornado.

The tornado doesn't need to be abused like I did on those videos, I had plenty of opportunities to do other/better things, but I was trying to figure things out. That's what I do in friendlies. Either way the tornado is a big part of metaknights game - if for nothing else but to keep the opponent annoyed and on their toes. It's also especially good against ROB because of his slow aerials and extremely abusable sidestep that tornadoing just eats right through.

I don't know if you guys have caught it over there on the WC yet, but over here doing "as little as it takes" and just being effective seems to win most of the tournaments. Azen ***** and just forward smashes and spaces. Cort ***** and doesn't even run with snake, he just tilts out of shield and throws ****.

I don't want to catch **** because a ROB player can't get his space to abuse his spacing and laser/gyro camp. The only people who get pissed off at me are the people who are pissed they cant camp as easily anymore.

Honestly, though, it's funny because the person whining the least about it is toasty. Why? because he understands playing against that stupid **** and LEARNING to beat it is great practice. He actually has a mentality to win and improve, and for that i say good **** toasty.

No offense hugs but from someone who played melee at such a high level i expected better. People do whatever it takes to win in melee, and they'll do the same in brawl. Chaingrabbing was easier than comboing in melee, so we chaingrabbed. If the game offers it, use it. Had toasty been able to stop it, I would've switched it up. The fact of the matter is I didn't have to.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
****...wish I could go to Cyberden, but I would already be spending good money at the SoVa lock-in [everyone should come! ^_^] and then I doubt I'll go to the June C3 because I'm going to be spending even more going to CH3...it's not exactly close to me :(

Hopefully I'll win some money at the lock-in and this won't be much of a problem. *seeks out hyperbolic time chamber to train in* >_<

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Toasty can you make a vid for us showing your B-momentum gyro-cancel thing (which I am now referring to as gyrodashing)? I remember you said you used it to get under the stage quickly to kill a wolf or something like that. It would be cool to see it in action, maybe an instructional vid showing how to do it?

I saw there are some more vids of chozen and hugs on youtube, I'll get them up tomorrow.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Chozen ROB vs Boss Mario
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U58VuGs-AA8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHQRSTvKr18

Chozen ROB vs Boss GW
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPS8-bsiAWY

Chozen ROB vs Gonzo Kirby
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWiUNe9oQq0

Chozen ROB vs Candy Wolf
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vjxr7xSgt58

JTB (Toon Link) vs Hugs (ROB)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbXN2ZJatDk

JTB (DDD) vs Hugs (ROB)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl5-vHQeJSg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSOG03rcbD8

Hugs (ROB) vs Aries (Falco)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9Q-mUBd-xk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKUD0tFZvQU

Good matches all around, and Chozen's even have some entertaining commentary.

Edit: We have ZERO zelda matches. Do any of you pro ROBs out there have a good zelda nearby that you can record matches with? It seems silly not to have any matches against a character that is generally agreed to be one of ROB's worst matchups. I know she's somewhat rare but cmon.

Also in that character matchup thread in tactical, they have ROB being at a disadvantage to samus (seriously?). This isn't really the place to discuss whether that's true or not, but we only have one ****ty vid of ROB vs samus, so I'd like to see some more vids of that matchup as well.

It's understandable if none of you know a good samus or zelda, but just keep these things in mind the next time you're recording vids and see if you can get a few with these matchups, but only if the other player knows what they're doing with them.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! &lt;
I can get some vids of ROB vs. Samus. My boy 7 is a ****ing beast with her and knows how to **** ROB pretty well (that ****ing Z-air) :( :( :( Next time Forte and I are at a fest or something I'll see if I can record ROB Vs. Zelda

also, I'm not 100% on the button input for wavebounce gyro yet because I just...kinda know it. like I wouldn't be able to tell someone exactly how to do it, esp because I'm not consistent yet. I'll try it out a bunch and once I get it down, I'll make that video. Like I was saying though, SuperDoodleMan is infinitely better at that stuff than I am [hell, I got the idea for wavebouncing the gyro from his videos where he'll run off the right side of the platform and all of a sudden be swinging left with a gyro] I don't know if he B-sticks or not though.

Ch0zen0ne

Smash Lord
Hugs does something VERY interesting against the Falco player in game one.. when he runs off the ledge, pivots, and then uses his momentum w/ ROB's UpB to Bair away from the ledge...

/incorporates.. good sh*t HugS

and of course my Yoshi Vid.. i believe someone was wanting it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrTNJwCm27g

All in all, i think i mentioned every ROB player EVER in that first game w/ Boss... wow enjoy that lol.

also.. i play against a decent Zelda.. so i'll try and get some vids up... or perhaps i'll MM Plarnkk... we shall see.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
toasty, ill play you sometime soon with my zelda if you want so jcaaesar can get some vids...i used to main her++wreck ROB with her

HugS

Smash Champion
That's not true, Hugo. If you read earlier in the thread you'd see that the only reason I was playing this way is because before the tournament on Sunday i never used the tornado, literally, ever. Maybe 1-2 times a match. I spent the entire day, tournament matches included, learning the physics and uses of it, I still have substantial knowledge and ability to play without the tornado.

The tornado doesn't need to be abused like I did on those videos, I had plenty of opportunities to do other/better things, but I was trying to figure things out. That's what I do in friendlies. Either way the tornado is a big part of metaknights game - if for nothing else but to keep the opponent annoyed and on their toes. It's also especially good against ROB because of his slow aerials and extremely abusable sidestep that tornadoing just eats right through.

I don't know if you guys have caught it over there on the WC yet, but over here doing "as little as it takes" and just being effective seems to win most of the tournaments. Azen ***** and just forward smashes and spaces. Cort ***** and doesn't even run with snake, he just tilts out of shield and throws ****.

I don't want to catch **** because a ROB player can't get his space to abuse his spacing and laser/gyro camp. The only people who get pissed off at me are the people who are pissed they cant camp as easily anymore.

Honestly, though, it's funny because the person whining the least about it is toasty. Why? because he understands playing against that stupid **** and LEARNING to beat it is great practice. He actually has a mentality to win and improve, and for that i say good **** toasty.

No offense hugs but from someone who played melee at such a high level i expected better. People do whatever it takes to win in melee, and they'll do the same in brawl. Chaingrabbing was easier than comboing in melee, so we chaingrabbed. If the game offers it, use it. Had toasty been able to stop it, I would've switched it up. The fact of the matter is I didn't have to.
Nah, you misunderstood me. I'm just saying the "i play to win" defense didn't apply to your argument.

The defense you brought up now in your last post is more relevant and respectable because you are preaching efficiency rather than a "play to win" approach. You are not just playing to win, you are trying to be as efficient as possible to make winning easier.

I did read your post about spamming certain moves until you could apply it to your game correctly. If you watch my old vids i did nothing but Up B because I was trying to learn when it was appropriate to use it. So i agree with you on that.

I didn't say anything was wrong with doing as little as it takes to win. I'm just saying such actions shouldn't be defended with "i play to win". They should be defended with your desire to be efficient. Get me?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
My problem with your statement is that the overall goal of playing a match is to win. Anything you do to bring you closer to that goal is efficiently getting you there, whether it's neutral B vs ROB because it works well or whatever else gets you there.

Playing to win and playing efficiently are synonymous imo, i really struggle to see any sort of difference. If something is efficient, and works, i will therefore win, and so I am playing to win, right?

edit:: i don't know if i misread or if you edited after i read, but i see that you understand im still playing to win

As far as me making it "easier" to win, it's not my fault that metaknights neutral B isn't exactly an advance tech. If it was hard to do, I would learn it and abuse it. I'm not one to just settle for something justbecause it's easy, I do it when I feel it's the best option. Like in melee sure chaingrabbing was easier than comboing, but it was also more effective, so I did it. If comboing was more difficult but yielded a better result, i'd combo. I feel like the hate of brawl is being displaced onto me because I'm using what the game gave me.

Hate the game, not the player.

HugS

Smash Champion
My problem with your statement is that the overall goal of playing a match is to win. Anything you do to bring you closer to that goal is efficiently getting you there, whether it's neutral B vs ROB because it works well or whatever else gets you there.

Playing to win and playing efficiently are synonymous imo, i really struggle to see any sort of difference. If something is efficient, and works, i will therefore win, and so I am playing to win, right?
Well I don't think they are completely synonymous. Playing to win asks for efficiency of course, but it does not require complete efficiency. I'll just give an example to stress my point.

I used Samus in melee. To the best of my knowledge, I played to win with Samus.. So by all means, I could say that I played to win. But, if one tried to argue that I was being as efficient as possible to win, he would be wrong. Choosing samus to win is inefficient. To choose anyone short of being the best character in the game would be inefficient.

So while I do play to win, I do sacrifice some efficiency for reasons that are my own. So now, I think you and I both play to win...but a player like yourself strives for efficiency more so than I do. I don't believe both are synonymous.

Hugs does something VERY interesting against the Falco player in game one.. when he runs off the ledge, pivots, and then uses his momentum w/ ROB's UpB to Bair away from the ledge...

/incorporates.. good sh*t HugS

and of course my Yoshi Vid.. i believe someone was wanting it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrTNJwCm27g

All in all, i think i mentioned every ROB player EVER in that first game w/ Boss... wow enjoy that lol.
I always wanted to start a thread on that but I always hate it when people come on the boards and say "Oh, thanks, but I've been doing that since the game came out".

Basically, rob's up B momentum is more fluid than his normal jumping momentum, so I use it to move around when it's appropriate. Sometimes I pivot it, sometimes i don't.

EDIT: Wait chozen, I don't see me doing a bair off the stage with up B momentum. I don't do it vs falcos because the forward be can **** you over. Fox though, that's a different story.
Are you sure i did it in this video?

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
I understand where you're coming from, but make sure you read my edit. But that's your issue, you could've possibly been an even higher level player playing a better character.

I'm not going to let the limitations of a character limit me, thats true. Thats why towards the end of melee i switched to almost all fox. Even sheik, who was like the 3rd best character wasnt good enough for me.

Playing to win and the difficulty of what one is doing are entirely unrelated, though, remember that.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Just to clear things up, Plank, I never meant to antagonize you for your general playstyle. I thought you were just being a douche to someone in a friendly. After toasty said he asked you to play like that so he could learn to counter it, I kept my mouth shut about it because that's perfectly legit. It's also perfectly legit to play like that when something is on the line, in a mm or tournament match for example. Do whatever works, obviously. It would just really bother me if I was playing friendlies with someone and they only spammed a couple moves, which happen to be so effective that they're infinitely more difficult to counter than they are to execute. Not saying that that's the case here, but if there were a case of something extremely gamebreaking, like if, say, every single grab by a certain character meant an inescapable loss of a stock *ahem*, I'd personally like to see that tactic go the way of Akuma and be outright banned, in the interest of keeping the game balanced and fun and not making 97% of the cast completely unplayable. But what do I know, I don't have that same "winning" mentality that you do. I know I'll never win a major tournament. But that's ok with me, because I don't play this game solely for monetary reasons. Don't get me wrong, I try to be the best player I can be, and of course I like winning, but there are things more important than that to me, and I would never consider changing my character just because of his rank on the tier list.

Sorry, that wasn't supposed to sound like such a rant.

Top Bottom