• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

*Location Confirmed, Sending Videos* - R.O.B. Video Thread (Latest update 1/27)

Sudai

Stuff here
JCZ, stop waiting on my vids. I'm probably not gonna upload them. It's just me vs Cyphus' DK (where he literally gives up in match two of the second set, so it's not many anyway) and they're already a month old. There's another tourney next weekend and I'll probably get some good videos. Depression johns for not uploading these.. Sorry.

Darth Waffles

Smash Lord
whoa, those WERE from a long time ago. I was so inconsistent then (johnjohnjohn) =)

What happened to Sudai? Is this another one of those things that I notice first and then jump to (the wrong) conclusions about, or has the unthinkable happened?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
So... I've kinda figured some new stuff out about ROB. I've been using him more lately.

Since I picked up MK and started traveling a wider area for tournaments, entire regions of KY and OH have altered their character choice, stage choice, and how they practice just to beat my MK. They REALLY know the MK matchup. I pick ROB and have a much easier time... and have found stuff out.

I'll try to get some vids later.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
All self-ego-inflating aside :rolleyes:, you're a former ROB main who still uses him enough to stay decent with him. For a character that's already ROB's worst match-up, it doesn't help that you pretty much know the ROB/MK fight from ROB's perspective even better than you know it from MK's.

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I don't think OS was talking about using ROB against MK, just against everyone in general.

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Maybe if ROB hit the gorram salad bar every once in a while he wouldn't get so thoroughly banged by MK.

Seriously, ROB. They make Diet Coke for a REASON.

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
Maybe if ROB hit the gorram salad bar every once in a while he wouldn't get so thoroughly banged by MK.

Seriously, ROB. They make Diet Coke for a REASON.
hug it out *****...hug it out...

I played Brawl yesterday for the first time in a long time and played as ROB...it was pretty awesome. May 2nd is the next Brawl tourney I go to so maybe I'll have some new vids then =D! And they won't be emo squanders either ^_^

HollaAtchaBoy

Smash Master
Ess Tee Eff You, Toasty!!!

Gee Tee Eff Oh!

Brawl!? Just when I was considering asking you to join us for another one of our free NYU Melee fests...

Nah, son.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
youre wasting your gas too much, tapB instead of holding onto B. last stock: good **** with that grab release -> grenade explosion. where are your tilts? you need more. small tip dont try to nair the dair, especially from beneath, just either wait for him to finish, and punish the lag, or just space better.

dont try to charge gyro/shoot laser when youre wiithin his DAC range. that speaking,:

sidestep -> downsmash too repetitive = you need to space better becuase youre getting ***** upclose + you need better attacks ** cough tilt cough **. oh and tell your friend to DI out of that downsmash.

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
I'm not saying he's any good, I was just showing you what other regions play like. For the most part, it's worse. Though Armada is very good, by national standard.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
oh wow nice, he made that falco's laser game almost non-existent. on another note, i know Hugs is a much better player than i, but why didnt he avoid the chain grab (first stock) by DI'ing away (and up? cant remember) for a free fair?

on a personal note, whatts your definition on the words "save your kill moves"? i see hugs using his nair and bair often, but very effectively against his opponent. and it doesnt seem to hurt his kill moves much.

ugh i just fail then.

Mr.E

Smash Lord
I wouldn't say HugS made Falco's Blaster game non-existent so much as DEHF simply didn't utilize it. The most he lasered was SH single lasers at close range trolling for an easy combo. He was always looking for the 0% CG combo, he played generally aggressive with Falco's Jab and air game, and what in the world makes him think Phantasm is an effective approach? Maybe he didn't want to be too "gay" in friendlies but the worst Falco can do to ROB is camp, camp, camp and he didn't do it at all.

HugS' edgeguarding was top-notch, though.

HugS™

Smash Lord
oh wow nice, he made that falco's laser game almost non-existent. on another note, i know Hugs is a much better player than i, but why didnt he avoid the chain grab (first stock) by DI'ing away (and up? cant remember) for a free fair?

on a personal note, whatts your definition on the words "save your kill moves"? i see hugs using his nair and bair often, but very effectively against his opponent. and it doesnt seem to hurt his kill moves much.

ugh i just fail then.
Lol I even addressed that in the vid. I said "watch, someone is going to ask why I don't just DI and get out of the chaingrab."

It's because it's an outdated notion that ROB can escape a falco chaingrab. There's a way to do it where ROB can't escape until 40%, just like the rest of the cast. Larry is the only one i've seen do it.

Anyways @ Mr. E. You're right, he could have played gayer, but it goes both ways. I CAN plank all day. It's kind of like a cold war... a cold war of gay. If he laser camps, I plank, but there's no place for that in friendlies. And although it is a very effective strategy to just laser camp and illusion, there are ways around it with ROB, even though it didn't show in these matches.

You could approach and power shield, predict the illusion, roll back, and punish with a dsmash. You could predict the jab combo and grab after the 2nd hit, or you can predict the roll and punish accordingly. The falco would lead in percentage, but by the time he gets you to 100% he'll be at around 70% for the few hits you predicted. But by then, when it gets to falco needing to kill, that's when ROB could tie it up.

So I'd wager it's almost an even game since laser camping is predictable enough to where there is a trade off. And when he has to fight at higher percentage vs ROB, I'd say it'd even be in ROB's favor at that point, since now falco can be tossed around.

Falco can play a less predictable game by approaching and adapting. By doing this, he could go without a trade off, where the Falco would gain a much better lead. DEHF's falco is prepared to do that, so it's a better bet IMO. I mean, you saw those leads he took on me at the beginning, where I'd be at 100% and he'd be at 30%. That wouldn't be possible with simple laser camping IMO.

And illusioning to approach is a FINE strategy, as long as you have conditioned your opponent to assume you will illusion past him. So I stay in my shield waiting for him to go past me, all of a sudden he's grabbing me out of his illusion.

It's like when people said they would **** me in Melee because they knew how to avoid my Samus up B. And I'd say "Cool, then I won't use it on you". You play based on how you condition your opponent. He conditioned me to fall for it, so I did. He won't do it on everyone.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Is the falco buffering the grab? I've never seen that before, always been able to jump out.

HugS™

Smash Lord
Something like that, yes. I think that's how he told me it was done. A buffered walking grab.

BTW i uploaded new vids to my thread, if you want to add those to this thread, whoever is in charge of it.

ipitydatfu

Smash Master
well im sorry, i didnt know it cant be escapable till 40 percent,since people have never mentioned that falco can do what you say, "a walking buffered grab" on the rob boards, i've always assumed you can just break out of the chaingrabs after the first throw :(

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
Nah it's cool, most people don't know about it.
Yeah... I posted in the matchup thread that Falco can almost guarantee about 60% damage from a grab at 0 and noone believed me. I think DEHF and Kismet2 could be the only major Falcos to do this?

Top Bottom