• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

List of things to buff Mewtwo

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
if Mewtwo was an actual glass canon..

-forward tilt's animation is sped up 2.0x
-up tilt's animation is sped up 1.5x and given the hitbox treatment like up and back air from patch 1.1.3.
-all smash attack's ending lag reduced by 3-4 frames
-up air sped up by 1.5x
-back air sped up by 1.5x
-down throw's ending lag reduced by 3 frames to allow follow ups
-up smash's initial up smash hitbox size from release day returned
-dash grab back to active on 8th frame and grab hitbox size returned back to melee range
-up throw kills 10-15% earlier
-gains back melee landing hitbox for neutral air
-melee weight
This Mewtwo would be ridiculously top tier. I support it. Except for the landing hitbox on n-air, don't think that's necessary and it would mess with combos. What would his weaknesses be? I think he'd honestly be pretty polarizing.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

-up tilt's animation is sped up 1.5x and given the hitbox treatment like up and back air from patch 1.1.3.
-up air sped up by 1.5x
-dash grab back to active on 8th frame and grab hitbox size returned back to melee range
-melee weight
"Here's how to make Mewtwo a better glass cannon!"

-Give him more health, defeating the whole purpose :facepalm:.

Just admit you want a straight port of Melee Mewtwo with fixed issues and nothing else. Glass cannon is NOT another way of saying "top tier" or "great character".

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735

-up air sped up by 1.5x
-melee weight
So what you're saying is you want Mewtwo to be one of the best, if not the best in the game?

godogod

Smash Ace
"Here's how to make Mewtwo a better glass cannon!"

-Give him more health, defeating the whole purpose :facepalm:.

Just admit you want a straight port of Melee Mewtwo with fixed issues and nothing else. Glass cannon is NOT another way of saying "top tier" or "great character".
Straight port? Just his shadowball hitbox, melee weight, grab game and throws(Up throw kill power to a certain degree and down throw combo), combined with what he has now. That's just my vision of *my ideal Mewtwo, though its unlikely, and unnecessary. I will get what I want in a more realistic sense though.

The point of my last reply is that he's not a glass canon, as so many people think he is. He doesn't have the power(whether its knockback or ground game+ true hooh hah combos and attack speed). That's how I would imagine him as an actual glass canon. With those buffs, he wouldn't absolutely the shadowball hitbox and weight , but it wouldn't hurt.

I more I play with Mewtwo since the last patch, the more I'm reassured that he needs some bulk, and a few other things(up tilt,teleport, and grab needing fixes) to be at least considered mid tier.Those are the essential things. Its either fixing those fundamental things, it making him an actual glass canon(faster tilts and attack speed) Feb might the last balance patch we get..

Last edited:

godogod

Smash Ace
So what you're saying is you want Mewtwo to be one of the best, if not the best in the game?
I don't care if he's the best and I don't think he would be the best automatically for having those either. He doesn't need all of those of course. But that's how I see him to stand a chance against the top 10.
That's just how I see him, if he was an actual glass canon. I just want him at least solid mid tier, bit mainly have a few fundamental things fixed. Either make him an actual glass cannon or give him more bulk and fix up tilt, grab, and teleport. Considering that speed change, I don't think getting his melee weight back is impossible, but the competitive community should acknowledge he needs his biggest weaknesses fixed.

Last edited:

zeldasmash

Smash Lord

-up air sped up by 1.5x
-melee weight
There is a difference between "glass cannon" & "ridiculous top tier".

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
--- --- Do we still need this thread?

Also, Mewtwo got ridiculously buffed this patch. Not only did they give him better combos, they made them easier. Nair is less technical, as well as Uair. Mewtwo is really fine now. I have no complaints whatsoever. (Except in the Fox MU)

godogod

Smash Ace
He got moved half a tier at best, but he still has fundamental issues that need to be fixed. He needs melee weight back(at least), have up tilt get the up air fix from 1.1.3(larger hitboxes),teleport to have more startup invincible frames+fixing the stupid sd issue(have a larger box that allows snapping on to the ledge), and have it easier to grab short characters like the wft treatment.
How are people refusing to address his fundamental issues? You may be the 1%cream of the Mewtwo crop in FG modes and against friends, but its going to be incredibly hard breaking through with him in tournies.. His combos that can be easily di'd out of can only get you so far, but it doesn't take away the fact that he is hard to master, has very glaring flaws(havijg a big hurt box and dying as low as 50% from a smash attack only hinders ), unlike the majority party of the top half of the roster.

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

He got moved half a tier at best, but he still has fundamental issues that need to be fixed. He needs melee weight back(at least), have up tilt get the up air fix from 1.1.3(larger hitboxes),teleport to have more startup invincible frames+fixing the stupid sd issue(have a larger box that allows snapping on to the ledge), and have it easier to grab short characters like the wft treatment.

How are people refusing to address his fundamental issues? You may be cream the Mewtwo crop in FG modes and against friends, but good luck breaking through with him in tournies.
Have thou not seem the might of Abadango?

Also, RayNoire and Mewsquared are very good Mewtwo mains. And Blue is PR'ed 7th? In tristate, which isn't easy.

Does he have as much tourney rep as high tiers? Not quite. But Thereflexwonder is picking up Mewtwo, and there are at least 4 other PR'ed Mewtwo's, they just don't go to Xanadu.

godogod

Smash Ace

Also, RayNoire and Mewsquared are very good Mewtwo mains. And Blue is PR'ed 7th? In tristate, which isn't easy.

Does he have as much tourney rep as high tiers? Not quite. But Thereflexwonder is picking up Mewtwo, and there are at least 4 other PR'ed Mewtwo's, they just don't go to Xanadu.
I've seen some of their videos. They're good though they have to work 2x as hard as someone who's maining a top tier character , and then skill can only take you so far in a tourney until a characters most crucial flaws bring you down. I also feel like part of the reason why they have done so good, is that top tier characters usually fight other top tier characters and don't play mid and bottom tier nearly as often, so Mewtwo players have that advantage for a few games at least(just like people started winning with Cloud right after he won, because people haven't played him enough).

Compare Mewtwo to Ryu in terms of skill and utility. Mewtwo and Ryu are both hard to master, with Ryu arguably being the harder of the two(in terms of combos).. But Ryu is generally recognized as top tier material, because he has a lot more positives then negatives holding him back. A **** ton of combos(due to mix up of strong, mid and weak attacks), strong aerials, decent throws, heavy weight and good speed, three levels of projectiles, a super strong up special, and a good counter that can tank the strongest of moves,, And just moves that have really good priority in general. Really his only negative is his medicore recovery, and he's in A tier right now.

Mewtwo's Shadowball and Confusion are great and have some good utility. Teleport is a bit of a mixed bag, mainly because if we don't pin pixel point teleport to the ledge, we SD.. Disable doesn't have the range or speed to be used more often than a blue moon, and its useless in the air. It's funny how ZSamus has a paralyzer shot that is better in almost every way with almost the same amount of stun. Thanks to the patch, Mewtwo's aerials and ground speed are good. But his ground game sucks cause its slow(especially tilts), and he has that large hurtbox+slightly heavier than Jiggly. That being said, he doesn't have to behave like Samus or any of the Top tiers.

More importantly few fundamental issues that should have never been nerfed/taken away from the 1st patch and melee which he has in smash 4:
-even lower weight (from 85 to --> 72). Two or three serious misdodges and he dies.
-all tilts starting 2 frames later
-reduced grab hitbox.. Which means harder to grab when dashing. Unrelated:Has trouble grabbing short characters now.
- Up throw that kills 20-30% later. Took a more bigger hit than other characters that got their throws nerfed since melee. It takes 130% for mid and 140-150% to kill a heavy? Geez might as well KO with a smash attack or aerial.
-more ending lag on down throw resulting in no combos. It's not that it HAS to combo, its because there no reason to use it over the other throws which all have utility. Since its not a kill move or damage racking, it might as well lead to a combo.

What buffs did we get? Neutral jab, confusion, disable now actually working. A decent down air, Faster movement speed, increased knockback on smash attacks, less ending lag on aerials. He's better now than he was in melee offensively, but still has his most glaring flaw(large size/hurtbox combo'd with even low weight and low air acceleration+fall speed), and a few more now in smash 4 that I already went over.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Just give us ground hiboxes on our grab and Up-Smash and I'll be happy.

--- --- Do we still need this thread?

Also, Mewtwo got ridiculously buffed this patch. Not only did they give him better combos, they made them easier. Nair is less technical, as well as Uair. Mewtwo is really fine now. I have no complaints whatsoever. (Except in the Fox MU)
As much fun as it would be, my mod sense is telling me that it's a necessary evil at this point. There's still an upcoming patch, and Mewtwo isn't perfect like Sheik or ZSS.

The less people that reply though the less bumps it'll receive.

But Thereflexwonder is picking up Mewtwo,
He is? And here I thought we could tempt him to join us Mega Mains.

Sonicninja115

Just give us ground hiboxes on our grab and Up-Smash and I'll be happy.

As much fun as it would be, my mod sense is telling me that it's a necessary evil at this point. There's still an upcoming patch, and Mewtwo isn't perfect like Sheik or ZSS.

The less people that reply though the less bumps it'll receive.

He is? And here I thought we could tempt him to join us Mega Mains.
He has posted a couple of times, in one of which he mentioned it. He posted a couple of sets with his Mewtwo on to youtube.

godogod

Smash Ace
^^^@---Those + melee weight, fixing teleport sding b.s., less end lag on down throw, fixing hitbox of up tilt(bigger like up tilt from patch 1.1.3), f tilt having faster start up, disable having usability in the air/faster start up on ground, and it will meet my basic needs. I'll end my speil here.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
The point of my last reply is that he's not a glass canon, as so many people think he is. He doesn't have the power(whether its knockback or ground game+ true hooh hah combos and attack speed). That's how I would imagine him as an actual glass canon.
Please, go on about how Mewtwo doesnt have the cannon part.

The only characters in this game who are glass cannons (as in, possess moves significantly stronger than average of the same types and are lightweights) are Fox, Mewtwo and G&W.

Fox only has a lot of power in usmash and bair, everything else is pretty average strength.
G&W has all 3 smashes, bucket, #9 for his high power moves
Mewtwo has all 3 smashes and shadowball.

Every time people talk about how Mewtwo doesn't have the 'cannon' part they need to be reminded that mewtwos usmash is frame 9, Fox's is frame 8 and Mewtwos actually kills EARLIER because of the angle it sends at. I wonder how many people even know that.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
How is this character not a glass cannon? Let me go over all of the things you can do in this patch now.

- Hit Nair combos kill people and also takes their souls. Did I say Nair yet? Nair Nair Nair Nair
- Forward Air is 1 frame laggier than Melee on landing except it has all of its positive Smash 4 attributes and is + on shield drop. Abuse this.
- Why do his tilts need to be 2 frames faster WHAT?! Dtilt is already FRAME SIX that's AMAZING and it is unquestionably like top 3 Dtilts in the game if not #1.
- Uair is now free off the top cheese. It got 40 BKB added with literally THREE units removed from KBG. I think that is the most knockback I've seen a move get, and I play Dr. Mario whose USmash went from bad to STUPID in one patch. Mewtwo can FISH FOR AIRDODGES now and actually kill you vertically with this move.
- Dair is just better Falcon Dair now. The sweetspot and sourspot are stronger, the active frames are better....need I go on?

I think Browny Browny managed to put it better than I did in the earlier post but Mewtwo USmash is bonkers and it is NOTICEABLY WAY BETTER NOW because his run speed got cranked up to eleven. Mewtwo WILL catch any landing in this game with USmash for free now if they airdodge or throw out anything that isn't fast and disjointed.

I think he could use maybe one or two fine tuning things (note: I think a lot of characters could, just a layer of polish, I think strength wise Mewtwo is fine) but otherwise I think he's solid and has improved significantly, with the key thing being stuff like Nair allowing for more consistent combos via the whole dragging into the ground part, among the amazing landing lag cutoffs he got. This patch was super favorable for Mewtwo and I'm glad it was.

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
I've seen some of their videos. They're good though they have to work 2x as hard as someone who's maining a top tier character , and then skill can only take you so far in a tourney until a characters most crucial flaws bring you down. I also feel like part of the reason why they have done so good, is that top tier characters usually fight other top tier characters and don't play mid and bottom tier nearly as often, so Mewtwo players have that advantage for a few games at least(just like people started winning with Cloud right after he won, because people haven't played him enough).

Compare Mewtwo to Ryu in terms of skill and utility. Mewtwo and Ryu are both hard to master, with Ryu arguably being the harder of the two(in terms of combos).. But Ryu is generally recognized as top tier material, because he has a lot more positives then negatives holding him back. A **** ton of combos(due to mix up of strong, mid and weak attacks), strong aerials, decent throws, heavy weight and good speed, three levels of projectiles, a super strong up special, and a good counter that can tank the strongest of moves,, And just moves that have really good priority in general. Really his only negative is his medicore recovery, and he's in A tier right now.

Mewtwo's Shadowball and Confusion are great and have some good utility. Teleport is a bit of a mixed bag, mainly because if we don't pin pixel point teleport to the ledge, we SD.. Disable doesn't have the range or speed to be used more often than a blue moon, and its useless in the air. It's funny how ZSamus has a paralyzer shot that is better in almost every way with almost the same amount of stun. Thanks to the patch, Mewtwo's aerials and ground speed are good. But his ground game sucks cause its slow(especially tilts), and he has that large hurtbox+slightly heavier than Jiggly. That being said, he doesn't have to behave like Samus or any of the Top tiers.

More importantly few fundamental issues that should have never been nerfed/taken away from the 1st patch and melee which he has in smash 4:
-even lower weight (from 85 to --> 72). Two or three serious misdodges and he dies.
-all tilts starting 2 frames later
-reduced grab hitbox.. Which means harder to grab when dashing. Unrelated:Has trouble grabbing short characters now.
- Up throw that kills 20-30% later. Took a more bigger hit than other characters that got their throws nerfed since melee. It takes 130% for mid and 140-150% to kill a heavy? Geez might as well KO with a smash attack or aerial.
-more ending lag on down throw resulting in no combos. It's not that it HAS to combo, its because there no reason to use it over the other throws which all have utility. Since its not a kill move or damage racking, it might as well lead to a combo.

What buffs did we get? Neutral jab, confusion, disable now actually working. A decent down air, Faster movement speed, increased knockback on smash attacks, less ending lag on aerials. He's better now than he was in melee offensively, but still has his most glaring flaw(large size/hurtbox combo'd with even low weight and low air acceleration+fall speed), and a few more now in smash 4 that I already went over.
Mewtwo's ground game doesn't suck. Are you kidding me? He has great dash speed. Not only that, but 3 of his ground attacks are quite good. Down tilt, I don't need to mention, everyone knows how beautiful that is. Jab has a lot of kill setups, and that's made even better by the fact that it's his fastest move along with down tilt and it can combo into other things.

If you say up tilt is bad, then get out. Up tilt has a lot of combo potential with it, depending on the hitbox. I don't know how many hitboxes are on that thing, but from what I've seen, there's like... 3.

I'll go over the best one to the worst one:

1. The hitbox that sends you very slightly above Mewtwo. I don't think people realize this doesn't only combo into up smash, but you can easily connect other ground attacks. I've down up tilt to down tilt a bunch of times and it easily combos. It grants Mewtwo access to 2 new kill setups as well.
2. The hitbox that sends his opponents backwards. This can lead to back airs or up airs, and is pretty decent overall.
3. Worst one. The one that sends his opponents forwards.

Not sure if there's more, though.

I will say forward tilt doesn't really have much use to it, but it's still there.

I will deny any saying that Mewtwo's ground game sucks because of his great dashing speed and great ground attacks. It doesn't matter if his hurt box is big - that doesn't make it bad.

Stop complaining about his light weight. It's your fault for always getting hit.

By the way, I don't think you realize that making him have more weight is making him not a glass canon, and you're trying to make him a "true glass cannon" by giving him more health. Nice.

Alright, here's some more stuff:

-If down throw was made a combo throw, I would be fine with that, of course. Except for the fact that Mewtwo has more combos than most of the characters in the game right now.. and, his damage throw is still very good.

-Mewtwo's aerials aren't just good. They're fantastic. I'm being serious, ALL of his aerials are either great or excellent. Maybe up air is just good, but, well, it's still good. I don't know how you can call his aerial game just good, because, due to this patch he has like... I don't know...

A freaking top 10 or even top 5 aerial set? Forward air is amazing, neutral air is amazing, back air is great, down air is like a top 3 meteor, up air is a vertical kill move and has combos to it.

Like, holy crap. That is just awesome.

-Up throw doesn't really need to be buffed. Mewtwo is probably one of the best killers in the game now because he has a lot of moves that can kill and he has multiple setups that link into his kill setups. I guess you can't really accept that his up throw is the best in the game, huh?

If I would have to be forced to pick any of these buffs, I'd probably be picking this one. Would be so much fun killing people so easily with grabs at 100%, but I think that it's fine since Mewtwo already has great kill potential.

I have more to say, just gonna leave it at that, though.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
-Up throw doesn't really need to be buffed. Mewtwo is probably one of the best killers in the game now because he has a lot of moves that can kill and he has multiple setups that link into his kill setups. I guess you can't really accept that his up throw is the best in the game, huh?
More that he can't accept that uthrow is no longer uncontested.

And :4mewtwo: is more of a glass cannon than:mewtwomelee: can ever hope to be.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
How is this character not a glass cannon? Let me go over all of the things you can do in this patch now.

- Hit Nair combos kill people and also takes their souls. Did I say Nair yet? Nair Nair Nair Nair
- Forward Air is 1 frame laggier than Melee on landing except it has all of its positive Smash 4 attributes and is + on shield drop. Abuse this.
- Why do his tilts need to be 2 frames faster WHAT?! Dtilt is already FRAME SIX that's AMAZING and it is unquestionably like top 3 Dtilts in the game if not #1.
- Uair is now free off the top cheese. It got 40 BKB added with literally THREE units removed from KBG. I think that is the most knockback I've seen a move get, and I play Dr. Mario whose USmash went from bad to STUPID in one patch. Mewtwo can FISH FOR AIRDODGES now and actually kill you vertically with this move.
- Dair is just better Falcon Dair now. The sweetspot and sourspot are stronger, the active frames are better....need I go on?

I think Browny Browny managed to put it better than I did in the earlier post but Mewtwo USmash is bonkers and it is NOTICEABLY WAY BETTER NOW because his run speed got cranked up to eleven. Mewtwo WILL catch any landing in this game with USmash for free now if they airdodge or throw out anything that isn't fast and disjointed.

I think he could use maybe one or two fine tuning things (note: I think a lot of characters could, just a layer of polish, I think strength wise Mewtwo is fine) but otherwise I think he's solid and has improved significantly, with the key thing being stuff like Nair allowing for more consistent combos via the whole dragging into the ground part, among the amazing landing lag cutoffs he got. This patch was super favorable for Mewtwo and I'm glad it was.
You're definitely right. I think people try to say he's not a glass cannon, because when we think of those, we think of characters like :4fox:. Characters like him love to just rush in and deal a ton of damage but :4mewtwo: isn't like that. He's very methodical and smooth with his combos, and doesn't really like to approach.

He's an unorthodox glass cannon. He's easy to kill and has tons of KO power himself, but he uses it in a very defensive and passive playstyle. He's much more reactive with his punish game, will Fox is super proactive with his rushdown.

:150:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
You're definitely right. I think people try to say he's not a glass cannon, because when we think of those, we think of characters like :4fox:. Characters like him love to just rush in and deal a ton of damage but :4mewtwo: isn't like that. He's very methodical and smooth with his combos, and doesn't really like to approach.

He's an unorthodox glass cannon. He's easy to kill and has tons of KO power himself, but he uses it in a very defensive and passive playstyle. He's much more reactive with his punish game, will Fox is super proactive with his rushdown.

Being a glass cannon is more than strength, it's how versatile your tools let you be in how you can approach situations. Seth from SFIV is pretty much an ultimate example of this: he has an extremely large array of tools, but is tall and cannot take much punishment at all. He also isn't what you'd call "speedy", with less-than-impressive walk speed/dashes and frame data. Even so, he is still a major threat because his tools, even if they may be weaker than the originals they're derived from (particularly his piledriver), they still allow him to be as aggressive or passive as he wants to be.

On the other hand, you have Dhalsim, who has the longest-ranged normals by far and a teleport for sticky situations, but is ultimately bottom tier because he simply doesn't have the firepower to back up his low health. He can chip and chip for days but all it takes is for the opponent to get in once before his lead falls apart, and it become almost impossible to get it back. (SFV Dhalsim seems to be rectifying this).

Now as for Mewtwo, they certainly didn't make the mistake of skimping on power over range (whether in the form of combos or sheer strength), but his offence was still limited due to lacking a bit of speed and safety. Now, while he still prefers a passive approach, he is more capable of mounting an offensive when the opportunity presents itself. He's not locked into a single playstyle.
Even Akuma is a bit like this, in reverse; he may be relatively better in an aggressive approach, but that doesn't mean he can't play defensively with his fireballs too (particularly vs. grapplers).

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
many are seeing "Glass Cannon" as "Rush Down" in smash or in pokemon term "Sweeper" (is fast and deals lots of damage) but I see that as wrong

Glass Cannon is all about the strenght and strenght alone. if speed is involved it would be "Rush Down/Sweeper".
(you could say Ganon is a Glass cannon but he is not, he can survive really long if you count out the recovery. that makes him a "Tank" instead)

will make a "Pokemon example" for glass cannon and sweeper.
when I thinking of Sweeper, "Weavile" comes in mind with his excellent speed and attack power! he isnt that strong to truely "OHKO" to defensive, but he is often that fast so he always get the first hit and can kill smaller weaker pray.

however, a Glass Cannon in pokemon is 100% sure is "Rampardos". he has a gigantic attack stat of "165", making him top 9 of every pokemon aviable (Mega's included). however, he has a speed stat of "58", making him reaaaaaally sluggish and his other stats are bad! it makes him both frail so he can die to a normal hard attack. so he is truely a glass cannon! can kill opponent in pretty much one hit but he dies when he gets hit.

Mewtwo is in similiar case. he has so many killing moves! all his Aerials except NAir can kill now, all Smash attacks kills, best throw in the game but he is extremely frail!
now he has gotten so much buffs now so I could dare to say he is a "semi" rush down with speed and really good setups for his kills but the main core of "Glass cannon" is still there that he can kill super early with many of his moves but he can die early aswell.
this is truely the best mewtwo we have (so far)

the only thing that can make him better right now is his DThrow ended earlier so it could work as a true Combo throw and a kill confirm. (its too slow to be truely a combo throw as the oppponent can jump away before you hit with anything)
but thats is basically icing on the cake, he dont need that

(did count out the tweaks in his grab range and his jab is little too small)

Last edited:

Snipnigth

Smash Journeyman
the only thing that can make him better right now is his DThrow ended earlier so it could work as a true Combo throw and a kill confirm. (its too slow to be truely a combo throw as the oppponent can jump away before you hit with anything)
but thats is basically icing on the cake, he dont need that

(did count out the tweaks in his grab range and his jab is little too small)
I dont think he should have a kill confirm out of it, i mean he already can kill with his Uthrow and Bthrow, but i do agree he should have a true combo at low %, also to kinda wok around this you can just use Fthrow, Fthrow with 3 pummels does like 19 damage if all the orbs hit it a really damaging throw.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

Apparently, Gibus also is doing well with Mewtwo (same region as Mew²). I heard he won a local tourney with him? I haven't seen the video yet. That region, wherever it is, is mostly streamed by a channel that mostly puts out Melee content (which I no longer watch outside of highlight or funny videos), so I didn't subscribe. So yeah!

Add one more Mewtwo main to the list.

Browny

Smash Hater
I dont think he should have a kill confirm out of it, i mean he already can kill with his Uthrow and Bthrow, but i do agree he should have a true combo at low %, also to kinda wok around this you can just use Fthrow, Fthrow with 3 pummels does like 19 damage if all the orbs hit it a really damaging throw.
Adding onto this, people need to compare his fthrow to other combo throws.

Diddy for example, dthrow - uair - uair does a whopping 17% and he only gets it once on most characters, then at best he will get uthrow-bair for 14%.

Mewtwo will get up to 16% off an fthrow at 0% and continues to get 12-13% from it.

When you look at how much damage characters get from throws, it only makes Mewtwo look bad if you compare him to the likes of Mario, but across the whole cast his fthrow is more damaging than most throw combos in the game and it refreshes more in the stale move queue.

Seriously you have characters like
:4bowser::4dk::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4lucas::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu::4rob::4robinf::4sheik::4zss:

Who have really good throw combos while the likes of

:4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4darkpit::4diddy::4drmario::4fox::4lucario::4olimar::4peach::4pit:(:4mewtwo::4ganondorf:)

All have pretty mid-range combo throws or in Mewtwo and Ganondorfs case, huge damage to make up for it. A lot of these stop working immediately after 0% and none of them truly confirm into a kill. In many ways Mewtwo is at the top of this group since 13% working up to 100% is far more than all of these characters will get. If you got 4 grabs per stock on 0, 25, 50 and 75% Mewtwo is going to do MORE damage from his throws overall.

Mewtwo has a massivley better throw game than
:4cloud::4duckhunt::4falco::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4pacman::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4samus::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda:

So next time people complain about a lack of a combo throw, just remember when mixed with his fthrow, a dthrow combo would immediately put Mewtwo into the top of top tier of throw games. Only DK, ZSS and Ness would be higher imo.

Last edited:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452

Diddy for example, dthrow - uair - uair does a whopping 17% and he only gets it once on most characters, then at best he will get uthrow-bair for 14%.

Mewtwo will get up to 16% off an fthrow at 0% and continues to get 12-13% from it.

When you look at how much damage characters get from throws, it only makes Mewtwo look bad if you compare him to the likes of Mario, but across the whole cast his fthrow is more damaging than most throw combos in the game and it refreshes more in the stale move queue.

:4bowser::4dk::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4lucas::4luigi::4mario::4metaknight::4ness::4pikachu::4rob::4robinf::4sheik::4zss:

:4falcon::4charizard::4dedede::4darkpit::4diddy::4drmario::4fox::4lucario::4olimar::4peach::4pit:(:4mewtwo::4ganondorf:)

All have pretty mid-range combo throws or in Mewtwo and Ganondorfs case, huge damage to make up for it. A lot of these stop working immediately after 0% and none of them truly confirm into a kill. In many ways Mewtwo is at the top of this group since 13% working up to 100% is far more than all of these characters will get. If you got 4 grabs per stock on 0, 25, 50 and 75% Mewtwo is going to do MORE damage from his throws overall.

:4cloud::4duckhunt::4falco::4greninja::4jigglypuff::4littlemac::4lucina::4marth::4megaman::4pacman::rosalina::4feroy::4ryu::4samus::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4wario::4wiifit::4yoshi::4zelda:

So next time people complain about a lack of a combo throw, just remember when mixed with his fthrow, a dthrow combo would immediately put Mewtwo into the top of top tier of throw games. Only DK, ZSS and Ness would be higher imo.
I would enjoy a buffed down throw as long as it's not brain dead. Not that he needs it horribly or anything for reasons you mentioned, but right now down throw doesn't have much of a use compared to his other throws, leaving it ignored most of the time. I think it would be cool to mix up forward throw and down throw when he gets grabs for damage racking. They wouldn't be as good as his down tilt combos by design, but it would be a cool option to have. If combos aren't an option, then the damage should be raised of the throw itself. I don't think this would break Mewtwo, but it would probably put him in high tier.

Last edited:

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay

I think you underestimate greninja's throw game but whatever.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225

Lest we forget Bowser... Bowser is definitely in the top tiers of "best throws in the game" as well.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Bowser was the first character mentioned.
...who was conspicuously left out of his final list of top-tier grapplers. Thus my post. Yes, I see Bowser was mentioned earlier, but leaving him out of the final list is to underestimate the power of the Koo-Pah.

Last edited:

sparkaura

Smash Apprentice

He is the first character he mentioned. It might be the wording but bowser was already included with characters that have top tier grabs.

Last edited:

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
He is the first character he mentioned. It might be the wording but bowser was already included with characters that have top tier grabs.
I interpreted what he wrote differently. There is no reason to be upset.

WickedMewtwo

Smash Rookie
I feel Mewtwo's teleport should be fixed a bit. It has errors when hitting the wall, and has lots of landing lag.. Could use a buff

Furret24

Smash Master
I feel Mewtwo's teleport should be fixed a bit. It has errors when hitting the wall, and has lots of landing lag.. Could use a buff
I would appreciate the lower landing lag. It would help with mindgames.

Also, welcome to Smashboards. :)

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Less landing lag would be huge for getting out of bad situations and recovering. It would make going on the stage with it less of a risk. Would rather have that than just fixing the wall bounce (but that would be nice too).

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The dash grab range still needs fixing. At least make the range a bit longer and lower so that even the shortest fighters can't avoid it while idle.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The dash grab range still needs fixing. At least make the range a bit longer and lower so that even the shortest fighters can't avoid it while idle.
I don't mind if characters with low crouches are able to avoid grabs. That's pretty standard fare in Smash.

If you mean characters like Pikachu and Olimar avoiding being grabbed just by standing, then of course I agree. That should never happen. They fixed that for Wii Fit. No reason they can't do it again.

godogod

Smash Ace
So can we all agree that he needs:
-grab dash fixed and just grab against short characters need to being more reliable. The short character thing can be fixed by moving the hitbox down like what the devs did with WFT
-fix the sding with teleport(give teleport a bigger/more forgiving box to snap on to a ledge), though they might have to fix it for all the teleport moves. Less landing lag would be nice too.
-up tilt having a larger hitbox (like up air)so it can hit more reliably close to him(front and back)
-down throw following up to a combo. It needs some use. We got two throws that kill in different directions, and we got another throw that racks up damage. Even if down throw is only usable at low percents. What happend to down throw not leading to up smash like the trailer? Bummer

I still think he should get:
- melee weight back
-disable needs more range or faster start up.. Its incredibly difficult to pull it off in an actual competitive match. Something should be done about using it on air too.
-ftilt should have a shorter animation or faster start up.

I hope this is the last time I post my list. I've/we've been beating the dead horse, but Feb could be the very last balance patch, and that will be it. The devs are listening. We can agree to disagree on some specific ones, but there's no denying there's a few fundamental things that need fixing still for (up tilt, down throw, teleport, and disable to be reliable at least).

Last edited:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
So can we all agree that he needs:
-grab dash fixed and just grab against short characters need to being more reliable. The short character thing can be fixed by moving the hitbox down like what the devs did with WFT
-fix the sding with teleport(give teleport a bigger/more forgiving box to snap on to a ledge), though they might have to fix it for all the teleport moves. Less landing lag would be nice too.
-up tilt having a larger hitbox (like up air)so it can hit more reliably close to him(front and back)
-down throw following up to a combo. It needs some use. We got two throws that kill in different directions, and we got another throw that racks up damage. Even if down throw is only usable at low percents. What happend to down throw not leading to up smash like the trailer? Bummer

I still think he should get:
- melee weight back
-disable needs more range or faster start up.. Its incredibly difficult to pull it off in an actual competitive match. Something should be done about using it on air too.
-ftilt should have a shorter animation or faster start up.

I hope this is the last time I post my list. I've/we've been beating the dead horse, but Feb could be the very last balance patch, and that will be it. The devs are listening. We can agree to disagree on some specific ones, but there's no denying there's a few fundamental things that need fixing still for (up tilt, down throw, teleport, and disable to be reliable at least).
Are you STILL wanting these buffs after telling you that we don't need it?

If you gave him melee weight, he wouldn't be a glass cannon anymore.
If you buffed Disable in almost any way, it would actually be incredibly broken. Imagine if it had more range when it already has the most range out of all Mewtwo's attacks outside of Shadow Ball. If you made it's frame data better, then it would be just, well, easy to get in general.
Idk what to say about tilt

Top Bottom