• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link Social Thread

Jolteon

I'm sharpening my knife, kupo.
Eh... well it was easier to do on 2.0 and 2.1 which i believe you were able to do it more than once. i Don't know why ya changed or adjusted that if you don't mind clarifying that for me.

Because when ever i attempt to do it im always swatting it away. if im right this how you do it

Take out bomb>Atg>Up- b asap because if you wait its not going to work.
If you wait long enough, doing agt -> upb will allow you to bomb jump without upb actually touching the bomb, so its guaranteed to bomb jump without you swatting it away with the weak hit.

NaijaboyIrin

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I think it would be nice if Link's bombs could hit twice like they do in Melee.

This way, when Link uses a bomb jump, he is not sent flying away(or towards, depending on how you DI) from the stage in a noticeable amount of stun. Also it makes dropping bombs to save yourself in a pinch(like, when the opponent attacks you and you drop a bomb, blowing both of you up) a better option.

I also think that this would entail bringing back the fuse hit. I've heard that it was a usable out of shield option.

I agree that bomb tosses should be shorter because the bomb isn't controlling space when it's flying straight off the stage. However, it might not be such a good idea to change it because the speed of the brawl bomb toss comes in handy sometimes.

Lethalx

Smash Cadet
Personally, I think it would be nice if Link's bombs could hit twice like they do in Melee.

This way, when Link uses a bomb jump, he is not sent flying away(or towards, depending on how you DI) from the stage in a noticeable amount of stun. Also it makes dropping bombs to save yourself in a pinch(like, when the opponent attacks you and you drop a bomb, blowing both of you up) a better option.

I also think that this would entail bringing back the fuse hit. I've heard that it was a usable out of shield option.

I agree that bomb tosses should be shorter because the bomb isn't controlling space when it's flying straight off the stage. However, it might not be such a good idea to change it because the speed of the brawl bomb toss comes in handy sometimes.
i agree but they could just increase the size/hit stun and have brawl speed.

Problem2

Smash Champion
NNID
Problem0
The fuse hit was god like. Z-dropping bombs near an opponent is pretty dangerous now because it will explode you both if it touches your opponent.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
The bomb jump is much harder to pull off in P:M than melee

In melee I can do it 3-5 times in a row, in P:M I'm lucky to get it once

The problem is Link's Spin Attack stales way too quickly in P:M, if you use it once, you won't be able to bomb jump because the bomb gets swatted away even if you only hit with the most powerful hit

The only thing that seems to work anymore is dropping the bomb while you're falling, and up-B into the bomb so it hits the bomb multiple times, eventually on the 3rd or so hit the bomb explodes, but if you have to do this, you're pretty much dead already because you'll more than likely hit the death boundary at the bottom of the stage before you can pull all this off

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I don't really care that it's hard to bomb jump considering link has an amazing recovery without it.

Cereal Bawks

Smash Ace
NNID
cereal_bawks
I feel like Link's tether in Melee is better, though. Like it's longer or something.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I feel like Link's tether in Melee is better, though. Like it's longer or something.

The only reason you would think that is because you don't know the options you have out of tether recovery in PM. AGT -> tether goes farther than his up-b and you can cancel the tether into an up-b on reaction to someone edgeguarding you. It's not even close.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
- All sword attacks are now correctly clankable
- Forward tilt does slightly more damage at the base of the sword, and slightly less on Link's shoulder
- Up Tilt's base knockback slightly lowered on all hitboxes
- Up Tilt's knockback growth changes slightly based on where you hit on the sword as per Melee/Brawl
- Down Smash's first hit outer hitboxes dropped from 17 to 16 damage. (Sweetspot is on elbow)
- Down Smash's second hit has 17 damage sweetspot added to inside hit. Slightly dropped knockback growth on all second hits.
- Up Smash: IASAs slightly later, last swing inner hit from 9 damage to 10
- Back air IASAs two frames earlier, second kick angle slightly lowered
- Down Air's hitboxes moved to better match Melee and cover his sword
- Dash attack's hitbox active one additional frame, slightly later IASA
- Dash attack's damage now increases on the closest hitboxes
- Dash attack's angle now decreases on the closest hitboxes
- Link can correctly angle his boomerang downward on the ground
- Shrank hitbox size on boomerang's "flub slap"

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Enjoy 3.0 :p.

Some quick mentions on changes:

- Utilt changes make it better against most characters and gives it more versatility as you can get different results with different parts of the hitboxes, a byproduct of this is that it's a bit harder to use and not as spammable.

- Most of his moves that didn't have the most damage and strongest hit around the center/inside of his blade now do. Tips of moves are good for comboing, inside good for damage/finishing.

- Timing to combo off upsmash is harder but certainly still possible and it does more damage.

- Bair IASA two frames earlier is huge. You can now consistently waveland out of bair which gives you some awesome shield pressure which link was lacking and it gives you some awesome combo set-ups and makes the move just have a lot more utility in general. Both hits also connect easier than before :p.

- Dash attack will be hard to get used to at first, but might be overall better than it used to be. It's certainly not mindless anymore but it's a lot better at lower %'s if you hit with the inside hitboxes(and I mean a LOT better) and you can still combo off it insanely well hitting with the outer hitboxes.

Overall he's fairly the same, no major changes. A lot of polish went in by product of a lot of testing. There is more versatility in his singular moves now for the most part which will require better play from the user but gives Link more options in any given situation.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Both hits connect easier than before? Lol.. I appreciate that. I'm sincerely sorry.

So the lower angle on Bair, can you give me the info on that and how I'm supposed to be using it? Because I keep feeling led into bair-grab every single time now. Because it seems to hit them too low to the ground where any other follow up would be viable. I'm not going to ***** this time, but adapting to that and dash attack are what's getting me I feel. I think I just need a more complete understanding of Dash Attack's spacing and then I'll be fine. My Marth spacing is pretty good so I could certainly get that down.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
The angle change on bair is very very slight, you should be able to use it the same ways in most situations, though it might mess with you for a little while.

Dash attack is certainly a lot harder to get used to, I will explain it for everyone in a lot of depth to avoid confusion.

Red hitbox: 10 damage, sends at 91
Yellow hitbox: 11 damage, sends at 85
Blue hitbox: 12 damage, sends at 75
White hitbox: 14 damage, sends at 65

So basically, the red hitbox is the weakest, but combos the best while the white should hitbox is the strongest but combos the worst. It's better to use the inner hitboxes at lower %'s where they will beat out CC better and are easier to combo from and then start moving up his sword as they gain % for combo efficiency.

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
Man that Image I took is getting all sorts of use.

I really like 3.0 Link way more than 2.6b, he feels cooler than more dynamic because of the spacing depth (re)added to his moves.

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Alright. I think I just need to play more, just as I did with 2.6 to get a feel for the changes. It will throw me off less as I get more used to it. Thanks for the explanation on his dash attack.

That placebo effect that everyone keeps mentioning. It really is a mind ****. I was imagining changes that don't exist. (D throw knockback increase that isn't there). and so on.

Sanity's_Theif

Smash Ace
The only reason you would think that is because you don't know the options you have out of tether recovery in PM. AGT -> tether goes farther than his up-b and you can cancel the tether into an up-b on reaction to someone edgeguarding you. It's not even close.
It's incredibly easy to punish that you know right?

EmptySky00

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1263-6981-9999
Regardless! I'm ****ing pissed at you guys. WHY DID YOU NERF PIPLUP?! That frame was important as all hell and now my entire game plan is ruined. God damn it.

But seriously, could I make a request please? Is there a way to make it so you can have a one-sided turbo mode without having to turn on the item? I wanted to play my friend while he's in turbo but I'm not. When we played in turbo mode, I'm so bad apparently that I wasn't even using it except when I air dodged instead of L-cancelled because aerialcancels. It made me curious as to how I would fare against an opponent with that ability and I think it would be interesting if that was possible...

I still beat his ass though. My Marth was channeling M2K.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's incredibly easy to punish that you know right?

Considering I've done it against most of the top PM players and been fine and even gimped people attempting to edgeguard me I'm just going to assume you are doing something wrong. You can avoid them hanging on the edge with invincibility trying to edgeguard you, you can bait out an attack if they are on stage, you can bait out a reaction from them anywhere, you can drop down low if they follow you and gimp them, you can set it up so that a bomb is falling while you do multiple tether cancels giving you another option...he has more options in his recovery than pretty much any character in the game, and he's a huge threat to edgeguard for a lot of characters. Not to say I haven't been edgeguarded/gimped before as I obviously have, but I don't think any other link player even comes close to utilizing his recovery as well as I do and I'm baffled why. Metroid and Strongbad are very good at gimping me compared to most people because I've played them a lot, but even so I would guess they would agree with me.

Show me a video and point out recoveries and I'll tell you how/if you could have avoided being edgeguarded/gimped.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I'd just be scared to do that against certain projectiles.

Projectiles under the stage o.O? Like what? I don't think I've ever been edgeguarded by a projectile as Link. Also, it's about options. You don't have to do any of it, you have the option to react to things or to just pull in with tether.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
Something like a projectiles forcing you very low, then an aerial to catch the AGTed bomb and hit you at the same time.

l3thargy

Smash Journeyman
Would you mind explaining how the boomerang changed? o:
before if you threw out the boomerang on a downward angle it would seem to just go upwards, they fixed it so if you throw it on that angle it'll have a trajectory similar to what it was in vbrawl/melee only I think slightly shorter (been so long since I'd played anything but PM)

Lethalx

Smash Cadet
Link feels freaking solid Good job. Wish his bombs were bigger like Melee but o well

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Something like a projectiles forcing you very low, then an aerial to catch the AGTed bomb and hit you at the same time.

I would have to see it, I can't imagine this scenario. The projectile would have to be non-catchable and I can't think of any that would force you that low.

Fortress

Smash Master
New Link is slick, and I'm pretty sure Samus is my spirit animal. My entire wait for 3.0 was spent doing nothing but reading and watching Samus games. All I wanted was Samus. Thank you, based P:MBR.

Also, Link is neat, but I mentioned that.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know how to do the "Hey Listen" Taunt , i did it by mistake and can't replicate it

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Link is amazing nice work!

Also since bombs have things like AGT and bomb jumping is there anything like these that I can do with bows and boomerangs,some techniques I can use these for.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
There aren't really any bow/boomerang tricks on the level of Link's bomb tech, but if you press B right before landing you can fire an arrow from the ground without the startup animation. And the weak hit of the boomerang can propel bombs in interesting directions I guess.

SnatoWhato

Smash Cadet
Sorry if I'm changing the subject. But how do you do the Navi taunt? I was fighting the computer the other day and he taunted with the fairy and you could hear Navi yell out her catchphrase. It was pretty neat. I can't do it though.. Although.. now that I think about it.. I always taunt, up, right or down.. never left.. hmm...

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
So yeah that new dair hitbox, good stuff. Even with with the changes with dash attack, it will always remain braindead. I mean come on, this is link we're talking about here, the most brain dead character in pm ever. I mean come on, up smash clearly has like hitboxes and it does stuff. Stay free link mains :p

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Link's u-smash is SDI-able and it's so sad. :(
Oh well, he has so many things it doesn't matter.

Yeah it's rather easy to fall out of the side for a good amount of characters, especially fast fallers. I doubt I would really want it un sdiable though.

NickRiddle

#negativeNick
I know. I only use it when people are on a platform above me anyway, so they can't punish me even with SDI.

Top Bottom