• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
why is it always the sweet and o so loving people who can be so hateful?

....seriously alot of people like my mom for the same reason as yours, although shes not so server as yours when it comes this.

its not worth it to tell my mom either, if she finds out on her own thats w/e. then me and my dad are already on shaky terms so telling him cuts that rope, but again oh well...

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
why is it always the sweet and o so loving people who can be so hateful? .
Yeah... It's weird. People can be so sweet, but deep down they are full of hatred for people like homosexuals.

It's bothersome, and it makes it hard to tell whether people are homophobes are not. Even people who make homophobic jokes can be open to gay people. (just another thing I've noticed. And I've also realized that some people who made transphobic jokes accepted me.)

People are weird. You really can't judge their views on LGBT people unless you have a serious conversation with them.

Timbers

check me out
maybe im just being naive here, but i feel weird and a bit ill to call a person hateful over information that was clearly misunderstood. To some people, the most important thing in their lives is their faith, and if they sincerely believe that homosexuality would encroach on that then I can see why they would get defensive. I'd of course not be backing them up if they took time out of thier day to start fights with the gay community or become verbally abusive, but so long as they tolerate "us," I have no problem with them, and certainly don't consider them hateful people.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
problem with my mom is, she's unwilling to ever question her faith.... I think that makes it harder to find the real truths.

Smash Master
How can you question faith? Faith never has evidence backing it up. Why bother exploring what happens if you're wrong when you don't think you are and there will never be any proof that you are? (Ever notice how all faiths are unfalsifiable)

"I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Ghandi

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
How can you question faith? Faith never has evidence backing it up. Why bother exploring what happens if you're wrong when you don't think you are and there will never be any proof that you are? (Ever notice how all faiths are unfalsifiable)

"I like your Christ, but I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Ghandi
Because faith is a higher form of reason, and thus while not falsifiable from a naturalist standpoint, it should be internally consistent and consistent with the outside universe.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
maybe im just being naive here, but i feel weird and a bit ill to call a person hateful over information that was clearly misunderstood. To some people, the most important thing in their lives is their faith, and if they sincerely believe that homosexuality would encroach on that then I can see why they would get defensive. I'd of course not be backing them up if they took time out of thier day to start fights with the gay community or become verbally abusive, but so long as they tolerate "us," I have no problem with them, and certainly don't consider them hateful people.
Much love for this, Timbers. There's a fine line between sticking to your religious beliefs and hating someone. When you go out of your way to make someone else miserable because of what you believe, then you're being hateful. Sonic's date wasn't being hateful, just a bigot; no offense meant towards your father, sonic.

Timbers

check me out
No, Timbers, you are wise beyond your years. Again, I find myself agreeing with you.

You need to stop that.

Smooth Criminal
=3

I've liked this quote, but actually using it to back anything is kind of silly.
problem with my mom is, she's unwilling to ever question her faith.... I think that makes it harder to find the real truths.
I'm sure there's some things in your life that you don't see a reason to question for "real truths." Being ignorant=/=hateful.
Much love for this, Timbers. There's a fine line between sticking to your religious beliefs and hating someone. When you go out of your way to make someone else miserable because of what you believe, then you're being hateful. Sonic's date wasn't being hateful, just a bigot; no offense meant towards your father, sonic.
<3

Anyways I think we're (again) treading into the waters of the forbidden and so before Xsyven burns us all alive lets talk about something else.

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I'm sure there's some things in your life that you don't see a reason to question for "real truths." Being ignorant=/=hateful.
no. But when that ignorance extends to being blatantly discriminatory to anything homosexual? Yeah... yeah it does. Also, when you begin to violate the cornerstones of love and kindness upon which Christianity is founded, yeah, you need to be spiritually mature enough to be able to lookat your faith and ask: what's REALLY the right way?

Blind following and Bible literallism are NOT mature ways of approaching faith. They are the easy ways and the ways of the weak mind. If you never ask yourself what's REALLY right and you let others dictate everything you must believe and do... well, you're essentially just a child to the controlling parents of your religious leaders.

But, again, yeah. We're treading into religious waters because that's a big part of WHY my mother, at least, acts the way she does. It just frustrates me because she believes it's the way to be a good Christian and she's wrong.... My father though, he's a christian and catholic just like the rest of us, but he's not exceptionally religious or anything. And he's mature enough spiritually to question what's right and wrong, unlike my mother.... in some ways, that makes his biggotry MORE offensive: because he's NOT hating just because someone told him to. He's hating because he's considered the whole thing and he just finds it a perverse warping of humanity.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Does anybody even take the Bible literally completely?

I'm convinced that they just pick out the verses that are useful to them. Otherwise homosexuality would not be considered such a big deal as it is right now.

That really bothers me when people do that... There are so many sins in the Bible that are not said to be any worse or better than homosexuality, and nobody cares about those sins.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Does anybody even take the Bible literally completely?

I'm convinced that they just pick out the verses that are useful to them. Otherwise homosexuality would not be considered such a big deal as it is right now.

That really bothers me when people do that... There are so many sins in the Bible that are not said to be any worse or better than homosexuality, and nobody cares about those sins.

This is the controversy.
A lot of Baptists and Evangelicals take the bible in it's pure form. Rather then taking some of the stories as parables. The thing is that because of this there is a separation of not only the peoples beliefs but the terms and meaning of the Bible. I think that this contributes to why each group of Christianity, even though they have the same basic origins don't agree with each other, the interpretation of the meaning of the Bible.

Being liberal is the key to what the bible says, but being to liberal is bad also. It also seems like the Bible says, that we as Humans must have a concrete faith, yet still have liberal stance, this is increasingly hard.

Timbers

check me out
no. But when that ignorance extends to being blatantly discriminatory to anything homosexual? Yeah... yeah it does. Also, when you begin to violate the cornerstones of love and kindness upon which Christianity is founded, yeah, you need to be spiritually mature enough to be able to lookat your faith and ask: what's REALLY the right way?

Blind following and Bible literallism are NOT mature ways of approaching faith. They are the easy ways and the ways of the weak mind. If you never ask yourself what's REALLY right and you let others dictate everything you must believe and do... well, you're essentially just a child to the controlling parents of your religious leaders.
There's no real problem with her building up to the fact that homosexuality=wrong. It's opinion, and her being a religious person doesn't make it anymore worse than any other person (religious or not) who views homosexuality as "wrong."

I don't really get this. If a person who doesn't follow a faith is against homosexuality, people call them homophobics or bigots and move on. When a religious person shares these same opinions, not only are they bigots but they're also blind believers who contradict everything they stay for and ultimately hypocritical human beings, and then the religion itself gets attacked.

I feel the majority raise the bar for religious people a bit too high. Being religious doesn't make you any more of a saint than the next girl or guy. You have your opinions, and I'm sure if you shared them with the masses that there'd be a decent percentile who would raise an eyebrow at how you reached a conclusion on said opinion. Just because your opinions might not be built upon what a book or a priest told you doesn't make your reasoning any more legitimate.

tl;dr faith is hyped up by both it's supporters and attackers.

i'm totally done on this subject i swear ><

JigglyZelda003

Smash Hero
oh religion how we love to loop thee....

my last post on it. don't hate me Xsyven XD

I don't really get this. If a person who doesn't follow a faith is against homosexuality, people call them homophobics or bigots and move on. When a religious person shares these same opinions, not only are they bigots but they're also blind believers who contradict everything they stay for and ultimately hypocritical human beings, and then the religion itself gets attacked.
its rare to find someone who was raised w/o even the slightest touch of a religion on them. aren't most atheist formerly from some religion or another? and then people are influenced by the people around them, news which in turn has influence from the gov, and religion in its shadows.... yada yada yada

/religion

seriosly before we make Xsyven send us his specialty mod "cookies" and then ground us.:dizzy:
so for unfinished religion lets take it to group where we can loop all day on it lol.

and Timbers your sig is too good.

NEW TOPIC!!!

whats the gayest toy you ever had as a kid?

i know we all must have had one at some point. mine was my phoenix(jean grey) action toy/doll. oh i loved her sooo much, even when her head came off i glued it back on and still played w/ her.....i wish i could find her in my house somewhere and put her on display in my room......

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Pretty Pretty Princess. The board game where you have to spin the ticker and put on whatever jewelry you land on. It's gay cause I'm a guy.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
I played with hot wheels as a kid. I'd spend hours covering out entire basement in tracks and then watching them go.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
JigglyZelda003 said:
seriosly before we make Xsyven send us his specialty mod "cookies" and then ground us.
Too late. I even realize that it was hardly a religious talk at all. You guys just need to realized how privileged this thread is-- most social chats like this get closed, but since this one has an ultimate goal, (helping closet cases, being there for each other, and answering questions for the curious), it's allowed to stay open. THE RULES MUST BE FOLLOWED.

It's just that when you say "Xsyven don't get mad, but BIBLE BIBLE BIBLE-- I'M DONE I SWEAR", its kind of annoying. It's sort of like a "Xsyven, I know I'm breaking the rules, but since I admitted to it, I'm gonna do so anyway. Don't get mad."

Guys-- religion is a really ******** subject to debate about. Everyone has their own beliefs, and debating on what's right is not only impossible, but not what this thread is for.

This thread has been going in circles for the past few months now. =/ You have seven days to think of fresh material. As always, it'd be nice if y'all bombarded me with messages once seven days are up. I'll probably forget again.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've sworn off the idea of dating for now. Too embittered, and I'm one of those idealistic "hopeless romantics."

I am taking this time to grow out my hair to a ponytail mullet in further defiance of social norms.

SU_Remo

Remo Knows
I think I may have a boyfriend. We've been seeing each other for about a month and we really like each other. His name's Jim and he's a videogame designer. (This is a trailer of the game he's working on - Section 8) Everything's just really great, and I know that for sure, which is a definite first for me. So, yay.

TruckOSaurus

Smash Apprentice
@RyokoYaksa: That's really sad... don't give up on love, you can stop looking for a while but to swear it off is pretty drastic. Especially for a hopeless romantic. Maybe you'll get lucky like KingReMO!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
I've sworn off the idea of dating for now. Too embittered, and I'm one of those idealistic "hopeless romantics."

I am taking this time to grow out my hair to a ponytail mullet in further defiance of social norms.
oh come now. If you, like me, were really a hopeless romantic, you'd know that that one man is really going to come one day and sweep you off your feet :)

as for the hair, I'd say yuck to that idea, but do what you want it's you man... just don't grow out your hair just to defy society because you'd be doing THAT just as much for society as you would be by conforming to it.

No, instead, do whatever you really want to do. Whether it conforms or runs contary ;)

Takumaru

Smash Lord
as for the hair, I'd say yuck to that idea, but do what you want it's you man... just don't grow out your hair just to defy society because you'd be doing THAT just as much for society as you would be by conforming to it.

No, instead, do whatever you really want to do. Whether it conforms or runs contary ;)
Like how I dye my hair randomly. Right now I just bleached the whole thing so my red highlights are strawberry blond and the rest is just really light. I should've used toner on it but I don't like doing that without foils... OH! I should do the rest hot pink.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I hate to make this my first (and perhaps only?) post in the LGBT thread, guys, but uh...

You might be getting close to the end of Zighvun's patience. >_>

bored

Smash Ace
My friends keep insisting that I dye my hair blond. Of course, I'm adamant about the idea; although they keep telling me I would look so 'cute.'

Besides, I'm tired of being called cute. I want to look sexy.. :(

Timbers

check me out
theres only a few guys i know that can run with the blonde hair and look good with it, but I'm sure if your friends insist then you must be one of those few =P I would at least try it, you might like it yourself.

I'm blonde myself, but I've been dying my hair since I was 14 (both natural and unnatural colors) as I'm not crazy about being a blonde. Right now though I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do with my hair. It's dark dark dark brown right now but I've neglected to dye it for a while so I have about 2 inches of blonde roots seeping through the 4 or so inches of brown hair.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
My friends keep insisting that I dye my hair blond. Of course, I'm adamant about the idea; although they keep telling me I would look so 'cute.'

Besides, I'm tired of being called cute. I want to look sexy.. :(
Sexy tends to come with a 6-pack of abs, toned arms, chest, and legs, clear skin, a killer smile, and the ability to look the same with or without clothing on. Oh, and blond hair.

Salience

Smash Rookie
I don't want to instigate another religion argument in here, but I was just wondering if there are any of you who are Christian and gay. I just want to ask about your thoughts on that, because I have a lot of trouble (as a homosexual) accepting Christianity, even though I really want to.

PM me

Mazaloth

Smash Ace

I may not know a lot about love, but I highly recommend that you don't. I hear all the time, "You are missing a lot Jake", or "At least you could try", and even, "I guess you will never understand".

If love and relationships are really that important then I urge you to just think in another 'light', it seems that it is to precious to give up on.

I'm just saying...

Mullets are cool, dreads are best though!

Sonic The Hedgedawg

Smash Hero
NNID
SonicTheHedgedog
3DS FC
3437-3319-6725
my hair is now and probably always will be brown. boring, maybe, but it suits me well. I suppose it was blonde when I was a small boy and I've had offers from friends to give me blonde or purple highlights or to just dye the whole thing blue (I actually have enough blue shirts in polos alone to make that work) but I just don't feel much like doing that. Maybe I will for fun one day around haloween or something, but Iunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom