• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LGBT Smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuna-Maria

Smash Ace
Also, here's a question. How long do you have to date someone in order for "I love you" to not freak your partner out? >_>
Well, my current girlfriend and I'd been friends for a number of months, and the dating started when I said to her "Kara, I love you."
So it all depends.

Somasu

Smash Ace
He said it won't be until August. Let's just hope things get cool between you guys in the time being. :( I can see how you'd still want to move in with him-- especially if you still have feelings for him. Just make sure they're friend feelings, and not boyfriend feelings.

Ugh. You went through my biggest fear. My current boyfriend was my best friend prior to our hookup. The day (praying that it never comes) that we break up, I'll be a mess... the fact that we've gotten this far means that it'll be difficult to recover our friendship.

Also, here's a question. How long do you have to date someone in order for "I love you" to not freak your partner out? >_>

My plans for moving already happened before I started dating him.. He just became a convenience, kinda.. but even still.. living with an ex just seems like it'd be... odd...

I just don't know.. I don't know if I'm still even gonna move there. Right now, I'm thinking about searching for a place here in my state.. maybe if I find somewhere here, I can just.. not move out of state for at least a while longer..

Blargh.. =| This is the second time this has happened to me.. You think I'd be able to say, "Hey, it's better off like this", but honestly.. I ****ing like being able to have someone to love and care for.. It's just my nature to want to do that.. soo even though a relationship isn't required for me, I still would rather be in one than not.. Just wish I could find the right guy somewhere close to me.

I swear, I'm never gonna date anyone that I can't physically meet within the first two months of knowing them... Of course last time I had a boyfriend I met online and met in the real world within the first month or whatever ended in a disaster that made me lose all respect for the guy.. but that's another story.

I have some bad relationship luck =/

mzink*

Smash Ace
My plans for moving already happened before I started dating him.. He just became a convenience, kinda.. but even still.. living with an ex just seems like it'd be... odd...

I just don't know.. I don't know if I'm still even gonna move there. Right now, I'm thinking about searching for a place here in my state.. maybe if I find somewhere here, I can just.. not move out of state for at least a while longer..

Blargh.. =| This is the second time this has happened to me.. You think I'd be able to say, "Hey, it's better off like this", but honestly.. I ****ing like being able to have someone to love and care for.. It's just my nature to want to do that.. soo even though a relationship isn't required for me, I still would rather be in one than not.. Just wish I could find the right guy somewhere close to me.

I swear, I'm never gonna date anyone that I can't physically meet within the first two months of knowing them... Of course last time I had a boyfriend I met online and met in the real world within the first month or whatever ended in a disaster that made me lose all respect for the guy.. but that's another story.

I have some bad relationship luck =/
My problem is the opposite, I am too much of a solitary type person, so my partner feels neglected sometimes. Most of my friends are like you though.

I'm not into the whole getting close to someone I met online thing, with me it has to have been someone I've known for a while.

If moving in with your ex is going to pull you down emotionally then it's probably not a good idea. You don't need that. Try not to be so anxious of being solitary, you'll meet someone new in time.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
He said it won't be until August. Let's just hope things get cool between you guys in the time being. :( I can see how you'd still want to move in with him-- especially if you still have feelings for him. Just make sure they're friend feelings, and not boyfriend feelings.

Ugh. You went through my biggest fear. My current boyfriend was my best friend prior to our hookup. The day (praying that it never comes) that we break up, I'll be a mess... the fact that we've gotten this far means that it'll be difficult to recover our friendship.

It's not a question of how long before you can say it.
It's when you can say it wholeheartedly without any qualms, reservations, or second thoughts.

Faora Meridian

Smash Apprentice
As Lobelia said, it's a very broad thing. I'm personally a fan of saying what I think and what I mean without censor or reservation (concequently I get myself into a lot of trouble with my big mouth, heh heh), and so when I'm in love with someone, they know in no uncertain terms that I'm in love with them.

Then again, all the people that I've ended up with have been through... what would be, to the general population of the world, odd means. A lot of people go out, meet up with people, ask 'em out on dates, get to know them, start a relationship, and a strong like becomes love over time. Me? I've never been on a date. The people that I've fallen in love with have been people close to me who have gotten closer over time. In that regard, like Lobelia's example, my relationships often start with saying that I love them.

Course, only you could know, Xsyven. You know your guy better than we do. How do you suppose he would react to it? From what you've posted here so far though, I say you stand a fair chance of not freaking him out too much. He might even be looking to hear it from you.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Just realised that my birthday falls right in the middle of Toronto's Pride week. Don't quite know what to make of it though. As a terrible closet-case, I completely shut myself off from it while I was in the city last year, and thus have no idea what to expect. I tried looking around its website, but didn't receive much there aside from constant reminders of sunshine and sprinkles.

From what I've seen in the media, the Parade is probably something I want to avoid. But then, that's the media...

What I'm getting at is what are your experiences with these kinds of things? I'm sure I'm going to go to some part of it (my [straight] roommate loves this kind of stuff: some of her favourite times in Toronto have been at gay bars and stuff), but some sort of heads up would be nice.

EDIT: I had almost forgotten the joys of the targetted advertising we get in here after having Premium for a while. That RealJock site is--erhm--fun.

I am gay for De De De

Smash Cadet
What I'm getting at is what are your experiences with these kinds of things? I'm sure I'm going to go to some part of it (my [straight] roommate loves this kind of stuff: some of her favourite times in Toronto have been at gay bars and stuff), but some sort of heads up would be nice.
Pride parades are like a casual party in a way. People are basically there to enjoy themselves. It can be quite a spectacle, so you get not just gay people but all kinds. My advice to you is let your hair down and have a good time.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Blink, Pride events, or at least the one I went to, isn't as gay as I thought it'd be. And I went in Las Vegas. Basically, the parade was made from nothing but sponsors of our Pride event the next day. Lots of lights, noise, and for some reason, free cupcakes.

The next day was just a huge booth-a-thon, with booths selling anything. Coffee, soap, vacation packages, bank accounts. And you get TONS of free stuff. Especially condoms and lube. Guy and I are set for months, thanks to pride. :)

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the info, guys. It's a ten day event, and once I finally get myself to read through the massive guide book, I'll see if there's anything that sounds interesting. Apparently there's a ceremonial flag raising near/at parliament on my birthday... Might use that as an excuse to be downtown (and thereby get drunk).

Lots of lights, noise, and for some reason, free cupcakes.
Really? I noticed that in one of the event descriptions, but I wasn't sure if they meant... something else by "cupcake". Weird.

And you get TONS of free stuff. Especially condoms and lube. Guy and I are set for months, thanks to pride. :)
lol, reason enough to go. I'm so broke :p.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
So, um, hi. I'm not gay but I've been invited by my sister to the gay pride thing in London :laugh: Since it's a few days after my end of year, I figured why not.

This probably sounds really dumb, but what sort of stuff goes on there or do you just.... turn up? I hope there's free food as well. That would actually make my day* :D

*i'm so poor.

I am gay for De De De

Smash Cadet
But I put so much time into my hair in the morning ;).

Thanks--what on earth can I call you for short?
A nickname eh? Perhaps DDD, GGG or G4D. I'm open to suggestions. :)

So, um, hi. I'm not gay but I've been invited by my sister to the gay pride thing in London :laugh: Since it's a few days after my end of year, I figured why not.

This probably sounds really dumb, but what sort of stuff goes on there or do you just.... turn up? I hope there's free food as well. That would actually make my day* :D

*i'm so poor.
The pride celebrations I typically attend in the states have a nominal cover charge, and plenty of booths with food and trinkets to purchase. It is sort of a theme park atmosphere, without the rides(no double entendres intended!). I have only been to small prides, so I couldn't tell you if the larger ones give away free food. At least Xsyven got free cupcakes, so there's hope yet.

Leahdybug

Smash Journeyman
G4D sounds nice sounds like a good gamer tag but its still says you. Free cupcakes why isnt the world a better place!!!!!!!!!????

I would like to attend a pride event sounds like a good afternoon and a good way to network, have fun and tell me about it afterward ^^.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Why has it taken me this long to find this thread?! D: What's up thread!

Anyway...
From my (limited) knowledge, they're kinda like block parties. Sometimes there's something you might see that's *weird*, but you know, keep an open mind. The LGBT community is very diverse.

Edit: Okay, it seems that everyone has some sort of introduction post, so in the spirit of things...

I like men! My first few memories I have when it was apparent are some pretty awkward website visits via AOL back-in-the-day. But that's not important...

My first "out" experience was with my World of Warcraft guild. I've been with the same batch of guys since about summer 05', and ever since then, I've been out to them and only them. It was probably the best way to live out my post-puberty, self-realizing self without facing the uncomfortable situation of being outwardly gay in a private, Christian high school at the tail end of the bible belt.

Now college has changed everything. I recently outted myself during last semester, foremost to my friends. However, I did it possibly in the worst possible way: I added the "Interested in:" on my Facebook profile followed up with cry-out status updates. Probably not the smartest way, but it worked. People haven't said a word about it, which worries me, but life's normal. I don't feel obligated to *hide it* anymore. My ex-roommate, soon to be roommate again, is cool with it, so no problems there.

From there, I decided to move onto my parents. My mother specifically since my (biological) father resides 3 states over... and he's not exactly the open minded type. So I did it over the phone surprisingly enough. It came casually after a week of trying to invite this guy in whom I'm interested (but have no chance with) to a concert with *the family*. Even though I pretty specifically laid out everything, she still occasionally brings up me being interested in this lady-friend of mine. At this point, I'm speculating that she's either in denial or just, uhm, didn't hear me correctly.

But there's been a snag in this snafu. Recently, my father's side of the family (the one that I don't keep in contact with) has gotten into Facebook... and discovered me. They added me as friends, and, not to upset anyone, I added them back. I got into talking with my step-sister and it became pretty obvious that she *knew*. She keeps asking things like "Have you told your father yet?" and I keep responding with "Oh, it won't be a big deal, will it?" So I kept putting it off and putting it off. That is, until I decided that, since I was in his area for a wedding at a time a few weeks ago, I'd come up and visit him for a while before I headed back out of town. Needless to say, it was pretty darn awkward.

One phrase really sticks out to me, though. He said, "Love and condone are two different things." I really don't know how to feel about this. I know I can never change his mind about *accepting it* or whatever, so there's only a dead end in trying to show him the light. I'm just glad he's not one of those dads that will just totally dump me only because I'm gay... even though he's done practically nothing to support me in the first place.

So that's my story. Life's fun, Smash is good, but I've yet to meet anyone nice :(

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Yeah. Watch out for super-gays. They'll sprinkle you with glitter, and stuff you with so much gayness, that you'll **** rainbows for weeks. Other than that, it was extremely tame. I also got free Starbucks. :) They were only like, four sips worth of coffee, but hey. Free is free, right? Gays and their coffee...

mzink*

Smash Ace
Why has it taken me this long to find this thread?! D: What's up thread!
Welcome to the thread Duchock, kick back and take a load off, we're all pretty friendly here. My mom is just like yours when it comes to the non acceptance thing, she believes gays don't really exist and that I'm just confused lol. My dad was perfectly fine with it though. What did your dad mean about the "Love and condone" thing? I don't get what he was trying to say to you. Hope everything els goes well with the rest of your family. I'm not actually completely out really, some of my friends and family know, if people ask I tell them but its not like a known fact about me.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the thread Duchock, kick back and take a load off, we're all pretty friendly here. My mom is just like yours when it comes to the non acceptance thing, she believes gays don't really exist and that I'm just confused lol. My dad was perfectly fine with it though. What did your dad mean about the "Love and condone" thing? I don't get what he was trying to say to you. Hope everything els goes well with the rest of your family. I'm not actually completely out really, some of my friends and family know, if people ask I tell them but its not like a known fact about me.
Yeah... I don't think it's the whole non-existent thing... I mean, I like to think that it's more of a 'she just can't take the obvious hints/when I say I'm gay, I mean I like men' thing.

But as for the love/condone thing, I really don't know what he means. I think it's just his way of saying "I don't like what you're doing." Maybe he feels the need to voice his opinion. He's also on a recent spree of posting on my wall FOR ALL TO SEE things like "You're my son, and I'll always love you as my son." Now that I actually type that out, it seems like he's.. comin' on to me... Ick. I need to go scrub the nasty out of my mind now.

I am gay for De De De

Smash Cadet
But there's been a snag in this snafu. Recently, my father's side of the family (the one that I don't keep in contact with) has gotten into Facebook... and discovered me. They added me as friends, and, not to upset anyone, I added them back. I got into talking with my step-sister and it became pretty obvious that she *knew*. She keeps asking things like "Have you told your father yet?" and I keep responding with "Oh, it won't be a big deal, will it?" So I kept putting it off and putting it off. That is, until I decided that, since I was in his area for a wedding at a time a few weeks ago, I'd come up and visit him for a while before I headed back out of town. Needless to say, it was pretty darn awkward.

One phrase really sticks out to me, though. He said, "Love and condone are two different things." I really don't know how to feel about this. I know I can never change his mind about *accepting it* or whatever, so there's only a dead end in trying to show him the light. I'm just glad he's not one of those dads that will just totally dump me only because I'm gay... even though he's done practically nothing to support me in the first place.
It sounds like he is still getting used to the idea. My father, typically stoic, didn't handle the news like I thought he would at all. it took some time before life got back to normal.
It sounds like your father is still supportive though, what with postings like "You're still my son and I love you". ;)
He may never join PFLAG, but I think things will get better. I know it's trite, but, hang in there!

blink777

Smash Journeyman
Welcome to the thread, Duchock. Considering how you described your father and the area you live in, it sounds like he's being really good about it. As others have said, I'd take the "love and condone are two different things" as "I may not condone what you're doing, but I still love you". You'll be alright :).

And to Xsyven: glitter? That crap takes weeks to get rid of. I think I have a family reunion like, the day after the parade... I could just come out to my extended family by being coated in glitter <.<;;

... I've been having a terrible craving for a cupcake everytime I read this thread lately. Anyone else getting that ><?

Oh, and btw. Going to go play Brawl for the first time in months today. Haha.

EDIT: Sorry, Professor Pro. I missed your post while I was typing. Welcome to the thread. Are you saying you're embarassed to tell people you're gay, or... the specifics you mentioned in your post? Btw, avoid speaking of anything sexual like that: this site does allow minors to view it, and we need to keep it clean for them (or risk getting locked).

If it's just being gay you're embarassed to outright tell people, I suggest telling a close friend (preferably one who talks a lot to many different people) and just let them know that they're okay to tell whoever. I've only had to actually tell 4 people to their faces that I'm gay, but now almost everyone I know knows, along with half the neighbourhood I just moved into (apparently some old lady across the way made a closet quip to me that I didn't catch until a friend asked me about it).

EDIT 2: Apparently, an allegedly super-hot guy (I only saw his back, but my roommate was practically drooling) who lives just a few units away from me is gay. Yet again, it was another older woman who I barely know that tipped me off. M'hmm.

Faora Meridian

Smash Apprentice
First of all, welcome Duchock! *presses an official 'Gay Smasher' Rainbow-Dress Peach badge on his shirt* Interesting story, and very nice that so many of your friends and family are accepting of you. Lucky bugger! Also, I think I can help with:

He's your dad, and he loves you. Your being gay isn't going to change that for him. However, at the same time, he's not going to condone or like your activities, or lifestyle, as a gay man. While not the best outcome for you, your dad loves you still, you're not disowned or dealing with any crap, so all in all, this is a good outcome for you. Believe me, I know of someone who's in a very tough family situation revolving around his being gay... heh, you're a lucky guy. Good on you! And once more, welcome to the thread!

I am the gayest smasher in the world. Sorry to be upfront but I like it up the bum but I am ashamed to tell people face to face, any advice.
This is quite a turn-around from the trolling a ways back you did in this thread. Forgive my suspicion, but what, pray tell, has brought this abrupt turnaround? To me, it's incredible... in every sense of the word.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Welcome to the thread Duchock! ^^

This is quite a turn-around from the trolling a ways back you did in this thread. Forgive my suspicion, but what, pray tell, has brought this abrupt turnaround? To me, it's incredible... in every sense of the word.
It's probably just another joke made by his brother. ^^; I got a PM from him saying that he was gay only to get another PM saying that his brother was fooling around with his account.

Duchock

Smash Journeyman
I just wanted to add, since I don't think I brought it out much in my post, that my mom and dad are divorced. They have been since I was 3 years old, so his reaction is of minimal importance to me, especially since we rarely see or talk to each other.

Also, Rainbow-colored Peach is nice and all, but how about Snake's well toned behind? Or Falcon's roundhouse kick victory pose? After all...
I'M A MAN, DAMMIT.

Smash Ace
Also, Rainbow-colored Peach is nice and all, but how about Snake's well toned behind? Or Falcon's roundhouse kick victory pose? After all...
Nooooo! >.< Let's just each have our own symbol! =D My symbol is a bunny! ^^ A pink bunny... who likes candy and is named Sprinkles and she has ruby eyes and can curse anybody who opposes me and we play Brawl to...gether... and uhhh... O_o; ... I'm done...

So anyway I never added my input on the nickname thing, G4D sounds like the best option... and I'm not just saying that to change the subject and make my post seem less pointless than it already is. =3

xenialshadow

Smash Cadet
Hi Everybody ^.^ I'm not new to smash, per se, but i'm new to the whole competitive scene thing. Just curious, is their a connection to gay smashers and maining peach? Like, I would seriously **** people in the butt with Peach back in melee and there's that whole Ken's Theory where SephirothKen says how either metro, really fat people, or gay people main Peach. Just wonderin' if there was any truth in that.

I really think that this thread is awesome because i'm a recently out gay guy. Well, i've been out to all my friends since, like, tenth grade, and some family. But it was until a few weeks ago that my parents found out i was gay (they found my gay backpack which has: lube, condoms, yaoi, a gay kama sutra, and an hiv results test [it was negative thankfully]) So when they found out they were, of course, in shock. We both needed some time to think so i moved out for a few weeks and stayed over at a friend's place for awhile. Then i stayed at my cousin's who then betrayed me and took me home where there were a bunch of people from my church there getting ready to pretty much exorcise me. I stormed away and stayed at another friend's place and just recently got back home on Sunday after an intense phone conversation with my parents that consisted of them apologizing and saying that they're never gonna try to change me. So, i think things have gone back to normal, just in time for graduation ^__^

So yeah, that's my story. OH! And i would love to meet other gay smashers in the San Fernando Valley. I haven't played Brawl in awhile since i haven't been home and i just like meeting new people in general.

:jigglypuff: <--- LOOK! It's Jigglypuff!! She's my ringtone :3

Smash Ace
Hi Everybody ^.^ I'm not new to smash, per se, but i'm new to the whole competitive scene thing. Just curious, is their a connection to gay smashers and maining peach? Like, I would seriously **** people in the butt with Peach back in melee and there's that whole Ken's Theory where SephirothKen says how either metro, really fat people, or gay people main Peach. Just wonderin' if there was any truth in that.

I really think that this thread is awesome because i'm a recently out gay guy. Well, i've been out to all my friends since, like, tenth grade, and some family. But it was until a few weeks ago that my parents found out i was gay (they found my gay backpack which has: lube, condoms, yaoi, a gay kama sutra, and an hiv results test [it was negative thankfully]) So when they found out they were, of course, in shock. We both needed some time to think so i moved out for a few weeks and stayed over at a friend's place for awhile. Then i stayed at my cousin's who then betrayed me and took me home where there were a bunch of people from my church there getting ready to pretty much exorcise me. I stormed away and stayed at another friend's place and just recently got back home on Sunday after an intense phone conversation with my parents that consisted of them apologizing and saying that they're never gonna try to change me. So, i think things have gone back to normal, just in time for graduation ^__^

So yeah, that's my story. OH! And i would love to meet other gay smashers in the San Fernando Valley. I haven't played Brawl in awhile since i haven't been home and i just like meeting new people in general.

:jigglypuff: <--- LOOK! It's Jigglypuff!! She's my ringtone :3
Zelda is the gay friendly character... it's a fact, statistics show that more gays play Zelda than any other character. Peach comes in second followed by Pit. =P

And that's a really interesting story. Seriously, really really really interesting. O_o Especially that part about the gay backpack... but I'm glad things got back to normal for you, and in time for graduation too. ^^

habaker91

Smash Apprentice
hmmm...with the exception of a few gay smashers sharing their stories, this thread seems to mostly be people talking about how tolerant they are.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
hmmm...with the exception of a few gay smashers sharing their stories, this thread seems to mostly be people talking about how tolerant they are.
Well most of us have told our stories already, haven't we?

shinobiknight0

Smash Apprentice
Just curious, is their a connection to gay smashers and maining peach? Like, I would seriously **** people in the butt with Peach back in melee and there's that whole Ken's Theory where SephirothKen says how either metro, really fat people, or gay people main Peach. Just wonderin' if there was any truth in that.

Wow, that theory is almost right on the dot. Well, it applies to me at least. :dizzy:

mzink*

Smash Ace
We talk about all kinds of things, same as just like a regular social chat.

Hi Everybody ^.^ I'm not new to smash, per se, but i'm new to the whole competitive scene thing.
Hey welcome to the thread! That's great that everything's getting back to normal with your family! Horrible what that church was attempting to do though, I had a similar problem. I haven't really chosen a main yet so I can't really tell ya if that theory is correct lol. In melee I mained Fox though. I don't think I'll be maining Zelda, Peach still has every chance though as I have yet to try her out lol. But then I'm a chick not a guy lol.

Question - is bi considered gay? I've always just referred to myself as gay cuz I figured bi was generally the same thing as gay but some people tell me bi is not gay so I never really knew.

Daysoo

Smash Ace
Question - is bi considered gay? I've always just referred to myself as gay cuz I figured bi was generally the same thing as gay but some people tell me bi is not gay so I never really knew.
Bi != Gay.
If you're gay, it means you're only interested in the same gender.
If you're bi, it means that gender is a non-issue. You can still have a gender preference and be bi, though.

And I realized that I never really introduced myself in this thread, and just kinda showed up.
So, if you don't know my 'story', just ASK ABOUT ME, SHAWDY.

blink777

Smash Journeyman
*asks about Desu before "Shawdy" sticks her fur boots in the thread (I got that right, didn't I?)*

Any interesting story'll do. Preferably ones full of cute, but by no means exclusively.

Welcome to the thread, xenialshadow. I've gotta get me a "gay backpack" lol.

Professor Pro

Smash Legend
It's probably just another joke made by his brother. ^^; I got a PM from him saying that he was gay only to get another PM saying that his brother was fooling around with his account.
It was him, he just told me today. I stayed logged in so he goes on it and just does stupid stuff and makes me look like a gay person and a dummy.
Im still the straightest smasher in the world. Sorry to bother you lot, I will permantely leave from this thread now seriously (bring back memories).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom