• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It's not an advice/questions thread in the sense that I don't want people coming in here looking for advice on videos, and I just don't want information to be general. Also, as for questions, it's the same. I don't like vagueness, and I don't want people coming in saying "LERRRR DRILL SHINE UPSMASHESS PEACH FOR WIN!?"

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
...i wasn't looking for info. You just happened to give some out, obliviously maybe?

In any case, good thread; it wanders around unintentionally teaching all of us new things. Hurrah for talking.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Those of you who have trouble shining from shield, remember you can jump with the C-stick. This isn't how I do it but I can do it this way--it's actually pretty easy since up on the C-stick is so close to B. And you can hit up with the base of your thumb and B with the tip.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Another method, especially in the instances where you are shining out of shield to edge guard (meaning you're just sitting there waiting) You can use your index finger and thumb to push the buttons. You just have to be quick about getting back into your normal playing position afterwards.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Another method, especially in the instances where you are shining out of shield to edge guard (meaning you're just sitting there waiting) You can use your index finger and thumb to push the buttons. You just have to be quick about getting back into your normal playing position afterwards.
Well that's what I do. I didn't know people clawed situationally that much...strange.

How's it strange? It just makes things easier for some players.
"Strange, doing something easier for more consistency."

That's like saying C-Sticking aerials is strange in certain situations.

Brookman

Smash Hero
C sticking aerials is strange in certain situations, at least to me. I use it most of the time though.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Well it's like they're saying clawing is beneficial but they only want to use it in certain situations. If it helps you you should do it all the time. That's why I thought it was strange...

but you're right, it's not really.

D

Deleted member

I think the light shield to shine also works on peach. I've seen it done, but idk if it has any utility or not.

SCOTU

Smash Hero
well, i came up with the fox/ falco ide because i lightshield shinespiked peach, and i figured it worked on everyone. guess not.

Brookman

Smash Hero
No, definitely not.

I learned about it from cort, who learned about it from M2K.

If you need anymore reasoning beyond that then well, you fail.

D

Deleted member

I showed m2k how to edgeguard w/ reverse uptilt, who in turned showed KDJ and the whole of new england.

I win.

Brookman

Smash Hero
Yea, stuff like that. At low percents it's so good. Instant shine spike, at high percents it goes into up airs. MMM

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
oh you're here. Well then, i should take the time to say that you're Fox is pretty **** good. I've never seen you play, until just now. Good placing at that v.i.e.l or something tourny. the 9th i believe it was on?

PC chris and Cort came down? Or do you live near each other and play often? I never see that kind of pro-ness where i live.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
I only use it when i play my Falco. I just turn around and utilt spacies that come at me and bair them. Its more of a combo move than a kill move as i'm sure you're aware.

I've just never heard of Fox's being used in the same way.

kenny10

Smash Journeyman
I just SHFFL a nair instead of utilt but now that I look at it, it's easier to follow up against spacies. When your on the edge, how about drillshine to dsmash. I saw Scotu talking about it a while back and it works really well when their percentage is above 80%. Would that be a better alternative than that drillshine to nair thing? Like against a CCing Peach, the nair would knock her down but a dsmash would send her off the stage at a harsher angle.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Or double nair to usmash.

In reference to the above ideas:

dsmash is actually better. Your right. Nair is a really bad move to use against a CC spammy Peach. At least thats what I've learnd from my expiriences. In general anyways, uairs and drills are the only thing you should shffl on the attack. Nair is mostly for comboing peach after the trail is set up.

Right? :S

Brookman

Smash Hero
I dunno, trying to combo peach can be pretty risky. If you notice you're playing a peach that nairs to break out of combos just approach to try and coax the nair out of her, then go for a grab or an up smash. If they don't combo away.

Shffling drills is best, but I dunno, every peach I play is too busy floating over my head to get hit by a shffl'd anything.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Brookman said:
Shffling drills is best, but I dunno, every peach I play is too busy floating over my head to get hit by a shffl'd anything.
I went to a tourny today, and went through that same thing. Every time i'd approach with a nair and try to waveshine to anything, her CC dsmash would beat my shine after the nair. Is that even possible? I thought the shine was faster...

Anyways...I resorted to drillshine spam, which worked better. I figure the only time to use the nair is once she's actually in the air. Then you can link to usmash or more nairs.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Intentional Double Post:

I was toying around with something today. I think it could set up for shine spikes and bairs relatively well.
When your opponent is making their way back to the ledge, put your back towards them and nair, d.i.ing off the level. If you hit, good...plus you'll have edge-cancelled and landed on the edge, setting yourself up for a perfect edge-guard move. Is this move useful? I can imagine its limited to counter only a few character's recovery moves. I doubt it would work on Marth or Samus because of their good recoveries.

I did it to Fox/Falco against their upbs. Right after I connected I fell onto the ledge.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Intentional Double Post:

I was toying around with something today. I think it could set up for shine spikes and bairs relatively well.
When your opponent is making their way back to the ledge, put your back towards them and nair, d.i.ing off the level. If you hit, good...plus you'll have edge-cancelled and landed on the edge, setting yourself up for a perfect edge-guard move. Is this that useful? I can imagine its limited to counter only a few character's recovery moves. I doubt it would work on Marth or Samus :S.
I've gotta try it, but tomorrow

Brookman

Smash Hero
I went to a tourny today, and went through that same thing. Every time i'd approach with a nair and try to waveshine to anything, her CC dsmash would beat my shine after the nair. Is that even possible? I thought the shine was faster...

Anyways...I resorted to drillshine spam, which worked better. I figure the only time to use the nair is once she's actually in the air. Then you can link to usmash or more nairs.
Yea, the thing about the shine being faster is that the down smash is coming out long before you even l cancel, most likely. Practice fast falling faster, or just don't use weak moves vs. peach.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Nair isn't weak as far as I'm aware.

So you're saying its possible to nair shine before Peach CC dsmashes? It never works for me.

&elaborate on my double post too plz kthanx ^_^

Brookman

Smash Hero
Intentional Double Post:

When your opponent is making their way back to the ledge, put your back towards them and nair, d.i.ing off the level. If you hit, good...plus you'll have edge-cancelled and landed on the edge, setting yourself up for a perfect edge-guard move. Is this move useful? I can imagine its limited to counter only a few character's recovery moves. I doubt it would work on Marth or Samus because of their good recoveries.

I did it to Fox/Falco against their upbs. Right after I connected I fell onto the ledge.
I hope you're fast falling after. I fool around with slip off edge guards all the time, I really love them with falcon/marth though. I'll probably never do them in a serious match up though, just cause it's pretty easy to **** up, and it's success is pretty situational, maybe?

I call nair weak cause she can CC it, it might as well be a jab.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
lol. edge-cancelled bairs.

"it's pretty easy to **** up, and it's success is pretty situational, maybe?"

Right on both counts now that i think about it :(

If someone mastered it then maybe it could be :s.

Brookman

Smash Hero
It's not hard to do it consistently, I edge cancel for fun all the time in matches, it's just that going from the stage to the edge is the wrong order.

You're supposed to go from the edge onto the stage while bairing. It's a novelty at best, but it works sometimes.

Top Bottom