• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Let's talk about L-Canceling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I don't support the idea that Smash should test primarily who can consistently hit buttons the fastest, especially in cases where there is no real strategic application and only exists to give you a chance to mess up every time you land on the ground.

L-cancelling is bad.
Smash has never been about spamming tech and getting free wins. To be successful in any competitive game you need to be able make effective decisions, and be able to physically take advantage of the openings you've forced from your opponent. The better player should always win, period. Lcanceling is just one more tool for the good player to abuse. It's skill is based in it's timing. Brawl has elements like it, powershielding for example. There's also the teching of stage spikes as well. Brawl players hate on lcanceling for requiring skill. Perfect shield does also but none of you want that removed. Why is that? I'll tell you why, it's because you have already decided that brawl is competitively better than melee and you tailor all the differences to suit your position. Everything that melee has that brawl doesn't is a problem basically. It's really sad.

It's also kind of stupid for you to say, "if it weren't for this one technique I don't feel like mastering, I'd be good at this game. Therefore said mechanic is stupid."

Thats childish as ****. Try that **** in any other serious game and you'd get laughed at. You are not entitled to demand a game be made to suit you, and how bad you are at games. The more skilled based elements the better I say.

:phone:

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
I have no problem l-cancelling consistently, and by brawl standards I'm a pretty technical player and I never really said that Smash was about hitting buttons the fastest to get "free wins". Your post is a prime example of every logical debate fallacy ever or something, please don't insult my intelligence.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
I bet I can steer this discussion in a better direction. You do support the removal of lcanceling right? I want to know why. Why should it be cancel and not perfect shield.

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Actually, I don't like perfect shielding either, but without it I don't know how I'd approach projectile characters in brawl. :\

Without it, at least in Brawl, projectile characters and low cooldown characters would be almost impossible to deal with.

I still think it should go, though.

Also, l-cancelling is already gone. Your dislike of, and choice to ignore Brawl, doesn't mean it never existed. ;) L-cancelling is gone already.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Lcanceling served a purpose just like powershielding. It doesn't have to be ps'ing, it could be any skill focused on timing. Teching off the edge when staged spiked is a good one. Also they put lcanceling back in pm, and that mod is really successful. That shows nintendo that there are plenty of people who want it to return.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
But taking it out does also remove a more refined aspect of the defensive game, as I stated earlier. And that I think is a valid point, one that I've never seen responded to, and don't think I will, because it's a good point. Could lag-reduction be pulled off better? Maybe. But it runs the risk of over-complicating something that already has a well-working system in place.
We've kinda discussed the impact of reduced landing lag on defense in the first couple pages, but haven't yet figured out a solution that could work for everyone.

I think we all agree that L-canceling should be "automatic" on hit though.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
No no no no no, should be manual. Not everybody should have less laggy moves for free.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
If they made it automatic, alot of mind games would be lost, and it would make the combo game as brain dead as it is in brawl.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
You grab him, you throw him, then grab him again, until you can grab release. What's hard about that? There's like no thought process involved. I get the feeling brawl players feel like theyre hot stuff when they read someone's airdodge. That doesnt impress me. I'd like an explanation on what would make a brawl combo difficult if it's not too much to ask.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
If they made it automatic, alot of mind games would be lost, and it would make the combo game as brain dead as it is in brawl.

If you're concerned about mind games, then why not expand it in different areas. I've brought up the idea of smaller shields to produce a mindgame on defense.

To me, L-Canceling is a bad way to go about mind games. If we truly wanted mind games, along with the above we could go with:

• Tech grabs, possibly ala Virtua Fighter.
  • Feints on certain attacks.
  • Be able to choose projectile speed.
  • DI only on certain attacks with fixed options (just throwing that out)
  • Air Dashes that go back and forth.
  • Aerial Ukemi

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Kuma, How much do you know about the shield in melee? You pretty much decribed how the melee hard shield works. You push hard or lightly and based on what you do the shield function differently. Lighter shields are thiner, so they can't take too many hits before they brake, but they cover a much larger area to protect from shield pokes. They also are waaay less resistant to pushback. None of that was in brawl. The brawl shield is gigantic and there's not many ways to influence the push. Brawl has strategy? Maybe...... Not nearly as much as melee though.

Agreed with everything kuma said...except tech throws

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
I never understood the objection to tech throws, anyone care to explain?

For the shield in Melee, I can't say how much I know since it's been so long. What I meant by smaller shields is that the area covered by the shield is smaller, it behaves like Yoshi's, break wise, and you have to move it to cover part of the character. It's a lot like the traditional blocking in fighting games, but turns it into something more hitbox dependent than whether it hits high, mid, or low. This way, you can delay an aerial to where it hits below the shield.

To make it easier to visualize, imagine Link actually using his shield outside of his idle stance. That's what I'd like to see.

Life

Smash Hero
If you're concerned about mind games, then why not expand it in different areas. I've brought up the idea of smaller shields to produce a mindgame on defense.

To me, L-Canceling is a bad way to go about mind games. If we truly wanted mind games, along with the above we could go with:

• Aerial Ukemi
Don't really see the point of tech grabs in this game. They make sense in SF to prevent chaingrabbing zero-deaths, but that's not a thing in Smash outside ICs who are specially designed for that kind of thing. Besides, most people like Smash fast-paced (hence all the BvM) and tech-grabs basically just stop both players.
Feints? How do you mean?
Projectile speed already applies to some (any throwable item, Samus missiles, Charge Shot and Aura Sphere depending on charge, maybe others)
DI should remain how it is.
You misspelled "Melee Air Dodge". Though a more airdash-like maneuver on some characters would be welcome sometimes.
Aerial teching? How would that work? Like an aerial powershield?

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman

Hold on a sec... we're talking about moves having reduced landing lag on hit. Please explain how mind games would be lost if L-canceling was "automatic" on hit only. You're already hitting the opponent and the only mindgame that matters at this point is DI.

And while you're at it, please elaborate on how it would make combos braindead. You'll still need to take note of your opponent's damage percentage and have to time your aerials to keep the juggle going. All we've done is take out that extra button press.

Even though I don't like the mechanic, I can see the value of L-canceling on block as it gives the attacker a chance to make up for being predictable by a correctly timed button press. But if you've already landed a clean hit, is another execution barrier really necessary?

Vkrm

Smash Lord
There are different timings for lcanceling. The timing differs depending on what you hit. If you know your opponent plans on hitting your shield you can spot dodge and force him to mistime the cancel. Thems is mindgrains kind sir.

Without lcanceling, combos would be reduced to pulling one move out after another with no thought given to how to time your fast fall. That's what I meant about it being braindead.

Having a high skill barrier is a problem, but that's just something you learn to accept when playing a game that gives you so much control like smash. There are a lot things that smash leaves up to the player in terms of movement and combos that having a high tech is just something that happens. I don't like how the brawl scene pretends that this is a bad thing.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
There are different timings for lcanceling. The timing differs depending on what you hit. If you know your opponent plans on hitting your shield you can spot dodge and force him to mistime the cancel. Thems is mindgrains kind sir.
I think we have a different understanding of what "on hit" means, so let's clear this up;

On hit: A clean hit, the opponent takes damage.

On block: Attack hits the shield.

Whiff: Attack doesn't hit anything (what you described above with the dodge).

What mindgame is there if you've already landed an aerial on the opponent (not on the shield)? Sure, there's DI but it doesn't have any effect on the previous attack.

Without lcanceling, combos would be reduced to pulling one move out after another with no thought given to how to time your fast fall. That's what I meant about it being braindead.:phone:
I'm sorry, but that's a load of ****.

You would still need to time your fastfalls correctly, if they're required in the combo.

You would still need to figure out the optimal combo based on the opponent's percentage.

You would still need to predict the opponent's DI.

You would still need to mind your position on the stage.

How does removing l-canceling on hit negate all of the above? There's still plenty of skill-based stuff the player has to worry about.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman

• Aerial Ukemi
You should make a thread on how to implement the wavedash and airdash as official techniques. ;)

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
It actually takes a lot of hard thought process to produce "combos" in Brawl.

10-Frame buffer is sooo hard.

L-Canceling is still a good idea handled poorly. Manual cancels and timing for combos/block strings/ whiffing spacing moves on purpose are always going to be different. Having automatic low-lag, safe aerials would be analogous to having automatic frame-safe block strings set to a macro, in a sense.

Mind, it is still handled poorly.

Regarding "What mindgame?": Side Stepping an aerial vs letting it hit your shield, CC'ing it, or letting it hit your shield high all change the timing and the effectiveness and timing of an L-Cancel. Even a successful L-Cancel is unsafe when CC'd, but the timing changes to a huge degree when looking at multi-hit moves or ones with high hitlag. The problem with how it is handled is you can rapidly input the shield input many times with no fail window, as teching or Meteor canceling have. With even a small punishment given to miss timed L-cancels, the technique would have real risk and reward to it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
We could as well require you to press L whatever you do with a small window. It wouldn't make sense in any way, but it would be technical and add mindgames and **** like Melee because that's awesome and the only way to determine skill is to see who can press L better.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
It depends on how it's implemented. You more or less can do that with the RC's in Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, but they take up considerable amounts of meter.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
We could as well require you to press L whatever you do with a small window. It wouldn't make sense in any way, but it would be technical and add mindgames and **** like Melee because that's awesome and the only way to determine skill is to see who can press L better.
Better than letting the guy who camps better win. Tech skill takes a back seat to intelligence in both brawl and melee. In brawl, there are way less good moves since there's no lcancel. That makes fewer good strats and overall lower skill requirement. Not only in tech but in smarts as well.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
It depends on how it's implemented. You more or less can do that with the RC's in Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, but they take up considerable amounts of meter.
Inb4 meter management and timing for RC's and FRC's are considered arbitrary skill barriers.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
It would bring a bit of much needed speed to the stale metagame in brawl. Camping would be made harder, and less rewarding.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Inb4 meter management and timing for RC's and FRC's are considered arbitrary skill barriers.

Those are actually easy to justify. Timing can be justified as preventing the player from having too many options following the RC/FRC. Meter management is the same as managing MP in an RPG. You might want to use that meter for something later.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
If timing is what would be used to support roman canceling being added to smash, I get the feeling the same argument would suit l canceling's inclusion quite nicely.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Except Roman Canceling has a cost to using it.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
So because its not obvious when an RC would be a smart thing to do, it's a good mechanic somehow?

Arcansi

Smash Champion
So because its not obvious when an RC would be a smart thing to do, it's a good mechanic somehow?
Because there's choice involved.

The more choice involved in a game, the deeper it is. (Along with the harder a game is to solve).

I mean, MvC is a great game. But it's not all that deep. The game comes down to mixups and then confirming combos, which means literally half the game is about how much you practice your combos, not about making the correct decisions.

Whereas, streetfighter is more or less the opposite, with some exceptions.

Also, both players can essentially interact with RC, which makes it a good thing. If he has meter up you know he can RC, and act accordingly. If he doesn't have meter he can't RC, and you act accordingly.

If he's lower does he want to use it for that or something else... etc.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
The mindgames associated with
will he/won't he are still there, but not associated with lcanceling. Making canceling automatic shifts the defensive side of things to be harder than it is already. The attacker ought to have a commitment to an attack, in this case, timing the cancel properly. The guy in the shield should some means of retaliation, is basically what I'm saying.

MikeKirby

OTL Winrar
The fact that you already hit a shield is commitment enough already due to shield stun. The shielder can jump or grab out of that stun giving him frame advantage. But this is just a general Brawl game mechanic. Given the fact that every smash game has had different game mechanics, I wouldn't doubt it if the next one had one too. For all we know shield stun could be obsolete and this "mindgame" in timing L-canceling would be just an non-existent.

Wobbly Headed Bob

Smash Journeyman
Looks like the lowlier Smash community remains as stupid as ever.

"DURR, THERE'S NOT A SINGLE TIME WHERE YOU WOULD WANT YOUR 1 FRAME LINK TO NOT LAND SO YOU WON'T GET PUNISHED ON HIT. LET'S MAKE ALL MOVES CHAIN COMBO. durr."

"THERE'S NOT A SINGLE TIME WHERE YOU WOULDN'T WANT MAX DAMAGE IN YOUR MVC HYPER COMBO. LET'S GET RID OF THE MASHING MECHANIC AND JUST LET IT DO MAX DAMAGE ALL THE TIME. derp"

The few l-cancelling alternatives I read are so mind-numbingly idiotic. It's like the people proposing this **** have never played competitive games before. Why not make every AT accessible by a single button while you're at it? Execution is a major element of competitive games, especially fighters.

Brawl already tried getting rid of l-cancelling, but reducing the cool-down of every move was not something the developers were willing to commit to. They decided to make make nair's cooldown non-existent in return. The game turned out to be atrociously stale and non-dynamic.

Melee and Smash 64 were already easily accessible games, just like Mortal Kombat developers made their game accessible. That doesn't mean that any player that picks up the game should be able to do all the advanced stuff the players that commit time to learning and developing.

By making stupid **** like what's been suggested in this game, you're not giving the beginning player a better chance, you're just making the game worse and with less depth to explore.

Vkrm

Smash Lord
Its not the smash community, it's the brawl community, some of them anyway. Its not hard to get them to admit the way brawl handles landing lag is borderline ********. There could very well be a better way to implement reduced landing lag, but I honestly think it was done best in melee.

Snakeyes

Smash Journeyman
Looks like the lowlier Smash community remains as stupid as ever.

"DURR, THERE'S NOT A SINGLE TIME WHERE YOU WOULD WANT YOUR 1 FRAME LINK TO NOT LAND SO YOU WON'T GET PUNISHED ON HIT. LET'S MAKE ALL MOVES CHAIN COMBO. durr."
Marvel seems to be doing fine with very few of them. Same goes for most 3D fighters, and many 2D fighters like Blazblue, Skullgirls and P4A have made 1 framers easier by adding a large buffer window. Most well-made fighting games also offer plenty of characters that do not rely on strict timing for those that don't want to spend time mastering difficult combos. In Smash, newcomers are pretty much forced to learn to L-cancel consistently to compete regardless of the character they pick.

"THERE'S NOT A SINGLE TIME WHERE YOU WOULDN'T WANT MAX DAMAGE IN YOUR MVC HYPER COMBO. LET'S GET RID OF THE MASHING MECHANIC AND JUST LET IT DO MAX DAMAGE ALL THE TIME. derp"
Most fighting games do just fine without mashable supers. As for Marvel, learning how to land setups that lead into big combos will almost always have a much more positive impact on your game than knowing how to consistently mash for full damage.

The few l-cancelling alternatives I read are so mind-numbingly idiotic. It's like the people proposing this **** have never played competitive games before.
I've played more than enough competitive fighters at mid-to-high level to spot a redundant mechanic when I see one.

Why not make every AT accessible by a single button while you're at it?
Why not make players enter the Konami Code to prevent an automatic shield break KO after every three successive attacks to give them an opportunity to show off and feel rewarded for their tech skill? If you wanna throw around strawman arguments, we can do this all day ;)

Execution is a major element of competitive games, especially fighters.
True. But the best fighting games have core mechanics are relatively easy to pick up for anyone. Universal advanced techniques should be always be accessible.

Brawl already tried getting rid of l-cancelling, but reducing the cool-down of every move was not something the developers were willing to commit to. They decided to make make nair's cooldown non-existent in return. The game turned out to be atrociously stale and non-dynamic.
So the dev team's poorly thought-out, half-***** attempt at removing L-canceling (among many other half-***** "improvements" in Brawl) means that any other attempt to do so, no matter how carefully balanced, will always result in failure?

Besides, as someone who's apparently an expert on Smash and competitive fighters in general, you should know that there's a plethora of other gameplay elements that contribute to Brawl's terrible pacing more than the lack of L-canceling.

Melee and Smash 64 were already easily accessible games, just like Mortal Kombat developers made their game accessible. That doesn't mean that any player that picks up the game should be able to do all the advanced stuff the players that commit time to learning and developing.
And that's not what anyone is asking for. Character-specific advanced techniques are great, universal advanced techniques that are a requirement to compete at the very lowest level of competitive play are not.

By making stupid **** like what's been suggested in this game, you're not giving the beginning player a better chance, you're just making the game worse and with less depth to explore.
Please re-read the thread and clearly elaborate on how well balanced aerials with low landing lag and a slightly tweaked shield would make for a worse game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom