• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Puddin

Smash Lord
It probably does, but the Hunting Rifle has a decent Fire Rate as well so if aimed properly it can be a valuable asset to the team, especially one where not everyone is toting an Auto Shotgun.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Not to mention that you don't have to be in the tank's face to hurt it a lot with the hunting rifle instead of the auto shotty. Still, it is preferred that:

A: you use all 3 tier 2 weapons
B: you don't exceed 2 of any weapon (except possibly the M16)
C: the weapon you have two of is the assault rifle

Face it, the assualt rifle has less problems than the auto shotty (poor accuracy, dampening effect with range, friendly fire problems) or the hunting rifle (fares poorly against a horde in the open, poor accuracy when moving, & practically useless scope [except with smokers, Hint hint]) (the assault has only low power, you can get over that).

Still, I'm likely to pick up the hunting rifle.

Oh, and by the way, AI survivors have a favorite weapon, so it is preferred that you don't pick up an Auto shotty with Zoey (she picks up the hunting rifle normally) or the hunting rifle with Francis (he Picks up the Auto shotty normally) as you only have two weapons, instead of the preferred 3. Bill and Louis pick up assault rifles, so there is some room for them (once again, this only applies to AI).

Alterhalo

Smash Journeyman
I usually stick to the pistols and use the auto shotty I never find any needs for anything but the pistol I love them double pistols yay!

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Not to mention that you don't have to be in the tank's face to hurt it a lot with the hunting rifle instead of the auto shotty. Still, it is preferred that:

A: you use all 3 tier 2 weapons
B: you don't exceed 2 of any weapon (except possibly the M16)
C: the weapon you have two of is the assault rifle

Face it, the assualt rifle has less problems than the auto shotty (poor accuracy, dampening effect with range, friendly fire problems) or the hunting rifle (fares poorly against a horde in the open, poor accuracy when moving, & practically useless scope [except with smokers, Hint hint]) (the assault has only low power, you can get over that).

Still, I'm likely to pick up the hunting rifle.

Oh, and by the way, AI survivors have a favorite weapon, so it is preferred that you don't pick up an Auto shotty with Zoey (she picks up the hunting rifle normally) or the hunting rifle with Francis (he Picks up the Auto shotty normally) as you only have two weapons, instead of the preferred 3. Bill and Louis pick up assault rifles, so there is some room for them (once again, this only applies to AI).
But it takes a ****load of time to take down the tank with a hunting rifle. 4 survivors with autoshotties and that thing will be down in no time.
Autoshotty DPS: 960
Hunting rifle DPS: 337.5

Puddin

Smash Lord
But it takes a ****load of time to take down the tank with a hunting rifle. 4 survivors with autoshotties and that thing will be down in no time.
Or you could just use a Molotov and run. Tanks are never fun.

Has anyone noticed that on the 360 version you can get the Towering Inferno and Burn the Witch achievements by lighting the Tank and Witch with a Gas Tank or any other flammable object/substance, even though it only says Molotov?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, except at that distance, you better be able to run.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
All this talk about Hunting Rifles, I went and used it all last night. ...Wow. My new fav. It really did decimate the Tank much faster than any of the other weapons. He's always out before he gets anywhere near enough to touch anyone.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
^ This is really why the Hunting rifle is better than the auto shotty against tanks, as you have enough room to, um, run.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It's easy to kite Tanks though so space isn't an issue unless you get stuck in a cramped room. I really wouldn't want anyone on the team to be hanging back that far because if a Somker/Hunter gets them than we'd have to backtrack to save them.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
I never split from the group, even when carrying the Hunting Rifle. Most of the time you dont need to even pull back at all to demolish the tank. HR is also good at one shotting Smokers and knockin them out cold before they can do anything to anyone. Now I want to play. Im off.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
It's easy to kite Tanks though so space isn't an issue unless you get stuck in a cramped room. I really wouldn't want anyone on the team to be hanging back that far because if a Somker/Hunter gets them than we'd have to backtrack to save them.
I wasn't trying to infer that you should hang back to hit a tank. The real shine of the hunting rifle is that you can hit the tank pretty far at max damage and it gives you room to run. You shouldn't leave the team, but you should get the first shots at it.

Once again, Auto shottys work best at a close range. For most infected, this is not an issue, but at that distance the tank could easily get too close to you. You also need decent health to be effective, as you can't outrun a tank by backpedaling at yellow health (or 50%) and you can't outrun a tank period at red (around 10%, apparently it's at 30% in expert) health. The hunting rifle not only allows you to hit the tank far, it gives you time to run.

Also, Which second tier gun you should pick up is partially dependent (as in you should choose one by) which tier 1 gun you typically use. Primarily using the pistol means you should pick up the hunting rifle, as it is essentially a rich man's pistol. The SMG and the Pump shotty are self explanatory.

Sensai

Smash Master
I wasn't trying to infer that you should hang back to hit a tank. The real shine of the hunting rifle is that you can hit the tank pretty far at max damage and it gives you room to run. You shouldn't leave the team, but you should get the first shots at it.
This is all well and good...but you somewhat contradict yourself later on. And it's imply that you meant, I think, not infer.

You state that you shouldn't leave the team, meaning that ability to run away and be able to shoot from a great distance really doesn't come into play unless that tank spawns fairly far away from you. Also, the hunting rifle doesn't shoot well if you're running, meaning you're not really running and gunning, you're running OR gunning. Big difference.

Once again, Auto shottys work best at a close range. For most infected, this is not an issue, but at that distance the tank could easily get too close to you. You also need decent health to be effective, as you can't outrun a tank by backpedaling at yellow health (or 50%) and you can't outrun a tank period at red (around 10%, apparently it's at 30% in expert) health. The hunting rifle not only allows you to hit the tank far, it gives you time to run.
This...is a mess. I don't really know where to begin. You should be able to guess a lot of what I'm saying from my earlier point about not being able to run and gun at the same time, so I'll skip that.

Secondly, if you're going to need good health for the hunting rifle, why not just say you're going to need good health for ANY gun and use one of the clearly superior guns for this job? Sure, you have to pace yourself a bit...but it's more damage, as you have agreed.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I tend to use the m16 as much as I can, with the auto-shotgun depending on the map. Hunting rifle I only use during that one stage in Death Toll, where you start out on top of the church and can snipe all the zombies dead in the streets, though after they're all dead I immediately switch to something else.

I used the hunting rifle for a while, but really just found it not as effective as the m16

Charizard92

Smash Champion
This is all well and good...but you somewhat contradict yourself later on. And it's imply that you meant, I think, not infer.

You state that you shouldn't leave the team, meaning that ability to run away and be able to shoot from a great distance really doesn't come into play unless that tank spawns fairly far away from you. Also, the hunting rifle doesn't shoot well if you're running, meaning you're not really running and gunning, you're running OR gunning. Big difference.

This...is a mess. I don't really know where to begin. You should be able to guess a lot of what I'm saying from my earlier point about not being able to run and gun at the same time, so I'll skip that.

Secondly, if you're going to need good health for the hunting rifle, why not just say you're going to need good health for ANY gun and use one of the clearly superior guns for this job? Sure, you have to pace yourself a bit...but it's more damage, as you have agreed.
OK, I have a bias for the rifle and against the shottys, OK?! (OH, and it's good health with the shotty, because the Tank can easily catch up when your health is low, thus resulting in your demise (unless you let someone else fire, as AI tanks target who shot him [may not work on vs sometimes])

Puddin

Smash Lord
OK, I have a bias for the rifle and against the shottys, OK?! (OH, and it's good health with the shotty, because the Tank can easily catch up when your health is low, thus resulting in your demise (unless you let someone else fire, as AI tanks target who shot him [may not work on vs sometimes])
AI Tanks target the closest survivor shooting them because Tanks can't split into four and attack every survivor that is shooting him (all survivors should be anyway,) VS. Mode tanks target the weakest survivors, obviously because they should be expecting Special Infected backup.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Key word shooting. Someone can save an incap survivor by telling the Incapped person to stop shooting and shoot the tank himself. This allows somebody to save the incapacitated person from the tank. This does not work against human players some times.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ trueganon: People finally figure out it does a LOT more damage.

I think every hit if they're pounced is 5 (unless you're on fire, in which case it's a LOT more). Every swipe you get is 10, and since you usually only get 1 or 2 hits you might as well just swipe at them and then run like hell.

I think. Those numbers may not be right, but they're close.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I tend to swipe when I'm stuck in a bad spot with no room to pounce, plus depending on when you attack you can get in a lot of damage before they turn around, since they figure it's just another zombie.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It's not the New content, just bug fixes and such. Hopefully that'll include an increase in Dedicated servers.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't mind getting some patches. Yesterday I got that one where there's supposed to be a Tank but nothing happens and the survivors either end up quitting or dying from the constant waves of player controlled infected.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm not sure what point Puddin was attempting to make...but Spore was pretty **** bad. :-/

And the only thing that I really want more of is maps to play. Everything else does not need to be enlarged, although there's certainly room for fixes with all the glitches and exploits.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
^ well, what spore did was that they added more parts with one of the patches. Valve can also add some stuff (like more Zombies and campaigns) with patches as well.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Wouldnt more Infected start to un-even the game for the Survivors? New Infected can really boost thier power and give them new ways to stop and overpower the survivors. But how could they possibly give that kind of boost to the survivors themselves? Wont it unbalance everything? Id just be happy with them opening up all the maps for versus and tossing in a new one every so often.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Not to mention it would unbalance Versus mode. Four Infected and four survivors, two hunters, a boomer, and a smoker adding more would just cause that to be unbalanced as well.

New Infected are unlikely unless only available for campaign, which would make no sense. New maps would be nice.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
Nuuuu!!!! New Update makes it so that we can't hit smoker'D people until they start taking damage. And autoshotties suck vs tanks. T_T!!! Has anyone played w/ the patch yet, they said they "normalized special infected claw damage". Ill be super upset if Hunters don't still do 10% dmg.

I didn't realize so many people from smashboards played the game. If anyone wants to add me, my STEAM account name is Cornxnuts. The screenname you see, though, is "Omega Red".

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wouldnt more Infected start to un-even the game for the Survivors? New Infected can really boost thier power and give them new ways to stop and overpower the survivors. But how could they possibly give that kind of boost to the survivors themselves? Wont it unbalance everything? Id just be happy with them opening up all the maps for versus and tossing in a new one every so often.
Not to mention it would unbalance Versus mode. Four Infected and four survivors, two hunters, a boomer, and a smoker adding more would just cause that to be unbalanced as well.

New Infected are unlikely unless only available for campaign, which would make no sense. New maps would be nice.
New infected don't have to be playable and they don't have to be as regular as the other infected, there are several ways new infected could be balanced into versus without breaking it.

I agree with the last part, new maps would be nice.

P.S. **** YEAH SMOKER PATCHES!!!! Maybe I can play him without raging at survivors magically frees themselves from my tongue or waiting forever to pull someone in. Anyone else notice Boomer didn't get any patches?

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
New infected don't have to be playable and they don't have to be as regular as the other infected, there are several ways new infected could be balanced into versus without breaking it.

I agree with the last part, new maps would be nice.

P.S. **** YEAH SMOKER PATCHES!!!! Maybe I can play him without raging at survivors magically frees themselves from my tongue or waiting forever to pull someone in. Anyone else notice Boomer didn't get any patches?
I'm really happy for the smoker patches as well, smoking people is just too annoyingly hard when your teammates are idiots.
And boomer didn't get patches because he's perfect already:)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
How did Hunters get made worse?

- Easier to pounce a Survivor who is meleeing.
- Increased Minimum damage a Hunter pounce does.

Puddin

Smash Lord
When did they patch the Finale of No Mercy on Versus to exclude the walls around the stairway and the extra roof on top? Because I hate it...

Does the Hunter thing mean that we are going to start seeing less Hunters wasting time using their regular attack?

"- Made the Tank and Witch spawn directly on the escape route.
- Increased chance of getting the Tank or Witch."

....yay?
"- Survivor's cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging"

Gee thanks, we only needed another reason to hate Smoker's, of course I want to shoot my teammate to free him why make it easier?

-Fixed an exploit where the Witch could be woken up and tricked into attacking Survivors.
Fun's over :(

Still no word on the No Mercy Generator Blocking "glitch?"

Oh, Crimson King, I didn't even notice you with your new avatar.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
"- Made the Tank and Witch spawn directly on the escape route.
- Increased chance of getting the Tank or Witch."

....yay?
You know it's awesome fun playing as the tank. Plus, you know how annoying it is when you're survivors and get tanked, but then when you're infected, you don't get a tank?

-Fixed an exploit where the Witch could be woken up and tricked into attacking Survivors.
Fun's over :(
Just stand in front of the witch. there's ALWAYS someone who'll shoot at you and hit it. And if you're a boomer even if they don't hit the witch, you exploding should still set her off.

Top Bottom