• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Puddin

Smash Lord
Stage 5
-None (that I know of, at least)
It's not a way to block a path but it's worth mentioning the Instant Death Smoker Drop in the Finale Area.

Smoker waits on the building with the satellite dish for a Survivor to come up the ladder, pulls them off, and they fall to an instant death even if they could have survived it by jumping. It's a cheap tactic and an effective way to instantly lower the Survivor's numbers, but if a Survivor can survive it from Jump Height I see no reason for Valve NOT to patch such a glitch.

People actually do that? *hatches evil plan*

Are there any for Dead Air?
Does it matter? Dead Air is not a Versus Campaign.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
It's not a way to block a path but it's worth mentioning the Instant Death Smoker Drop in the Finale Area.

Smoker waits on the building with the satellite dish for a Survivor to come up the ladder, pulls them off, and they fall to an instant death even if they could have survived it by jumping. It's a cheap tactic and an effective way to instantly lower the Survivor's numbers, but if a Survivor can survive it from Jump Height I see no reason for Valve NOT to patch such a glitch.

Does it matter? Dead Air is not a Versus Campaign.
Sorry. Had a brain failure. I meant Blood Harvest.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer

I've seen that done, but they don't just fall off, they hang there, so someone could save them if they're smart.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Actually, I have also seen it happen before. Remember the part of the roof where you go on once you exit the Elevator shaft in the finale? Well, if a smoker was on the roof "building" where there's a satellite dish (At least I think that's the structure), then you can pull someone off to their demise by pulling them with your tongue. A smoker can also use this said raised area to catch the last person, stranding them on top while everyone else is below. If the rest don't come get you in time, game over.

PS: I downloaded some graphics upgrade thanks to Portal, The actual gameplay is fine, the laginess doesn't kick in until you're at the end of levels, which is relatively minor. The only really concerning bit is when I beat GLaDOS, as it gets REAL laggy. I don't think Left 4 Dead has any of those things, but only in theory. 2 months 'til practice.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
A smoker can also use this said raised area to catch the last person, stranding them on top while everyone else is below. If the rest don't come get you in time, game over.
Yep, and makes sense. Same thing can happen in a number of places, like the manhole into the sewers. That's why you always go down in groups of twos real fast.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
I'm not entirely sure with the smoker OHKO drops but I thought they worked it so that Instant Death falls the character will grap the ledge so unless a person gets the smoker off the person and helps them up they will die.

I thought falls that are normally survivable will a person fall like the roof that you get on after the lift in No Mercy. I might be wrong on this since even though I love using the smoker even I feel that Instant death falls that I can drag a person to feels unfair.

Besides I like doing Blood Harvest more in Versus, No Mercy just feels impossible to do some kills inside the hospital when there's no place to hide in.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yep, and makes sense. Same thing can happen in a number of places, like the manhole into the sewers. That's why you always go down in groups of twos real fast.
It makes more sense in, oh I don't know, reality. Any fall greater than your own height can cause rather serious injury. If your head even falls from that height, it is also very serious, potentially lethal.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
Yeah but it's a video game and not all video games make sense. I once tried to jump off a ledge, and ended up hanging from it with my feet going through the ground below me.

Anyways, on the finale, my friends and I always try to get a super-early kill. Pretty much, after the smoker has gotten his prey, the hunter has to pounce someone who just got off the stairs. (But doesn't actually fall down the stairs) The 2nd hunter then pounces the next person on the stairs so that they fall down with them. The last remaining survivor has to make an important choice... The boomer is around somewhere, but is more of an annoyance than a key player.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Anyways, on the finale, my friends and I always try to get a super-early kill. Pretty much, after the smoker has gotten his prey, the hunter has to pounce someone who just got off the stairs. (But doesn't actually fall down the stairs) The 2nd hunter then pounces the next person on the stairs so that they fall down with them. The last remaining survivor has to make an important choice... The boomer is around somewhere, but is more of an annoyance than a key player.
lolwut? Do you mean the ladder going into the Finale area? There is only one set of stairs in the finale, near the radio so you must mean the ladder.

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Does that even work on real people? Ive had people try it on my team only to fail horridly and retreat with thier maggot infected hides between thier legs.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Does what work? Killing people as a Smoker in the No Mercy Finale? Yes, it's happened to me multiple times.

We can only take Cornxnuts word for his strategy, we can't prove his experiences wrong.

Quick question, does anybody know if having a character in "Idle" or "Take a break" mode counts toward the "Zombie Genocidist " achievement, even though it's the computer player killing the zombies?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've never seen the Smoker pull kill someone in the finale. Whenever I see it the Survivor grabs the ledge.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Am I the only one who's noticed that the Pistol flash light is slightly bigger (bigger probably isn't the best description, maybe wider) than the other flash lights? It may have just been in my mind, but I'm almost positive it's bigger than the flash lights of the other guns (Assault Rifle is the only weapon I checked with.)

I first noticed it when I was looking at a wall with no obstructions to block the lights, I was lollygagging behind the team switching my weapons and noticed I could see more with the Pistol than the Assault Rifle. If anyone else could check this out it would be a big help to my sanity.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
Yeah my bad, I meant ladder before, not stairs. To all you of nonbelievers, its fairly easy and - at least for me - common as well. Usually one person will pop out rather than have everyone come in a bunch, and the guy gets pulled away and roflpwned by zombies+smoker.

What I usually do is, as a survivor, stick my head out and look around. They patched out getting scratch damage on ladders (I think?) so its relatively safe. The smoker can't get you, the boomer bile will hit only one person, and should the hunter pounce you, you fall and your teammates kill the hunter. Pretty much it lets you know where everyone is and you can tell your teammates to come out if its safe.

Quick question to you smoker veterans:
What is the secret technique to using the tongue? I've misse people that are alone and out in the open. My targeting reticle is on them and red-colored, i click the mouse button, and then...epic fail. The tongue just doesn't hook. This doesn't always happen, but its still common enough to be super annoying. What do I do?

Puddin

Smash Lord
What I usually do is, as a survivor, stick my head out and look around. They patched out getting scratch damage on ladders (I think?) so its relatively safe. The smoker can't get you, the boomer bile will hit only one person, and should the hunter pounce you, you fall and your teammates kill the hunter. Pretty much it lets you know where everyone is and you can tell your teammates to come out if its safe.

Quick question to you smoker veterans:
What is the secret technique to using the tongue? I've misse people that are alone and out in the open. My targeting reticle is on them and red-colored, i click the mouse button, and then...epic fail. The tongue just doesn't hook. This doesn't always happen, but its still common enough to be super annoying. What do I do?
I've had some problems with my Tounge missing as well, but it's never a big problem for me as I never live long as a Smoker...

Sticking your head out and fast turning to taunt the Special is just too funny, especially when you see the Hunter pounce above you as you pop back down and look up. As I've experienced Insta-Death falls because of the Smoker in that area I tend to try and go first, so that I can be facing the direction I know the Smoker will be in and possibly be able to stop him before he grabs any of us, or at least knock him off after he's grabbed me. Unfortunately I tend to be antisocial and rarely use my mic, so I didn't get a chance to warn..Francis...Oh God..he's dead! GRABBIN SUM PILLZ!

Anyone check that Flashlight Wackiness?

Sensai

Smash Master
I actually had a few problems with my Smoker's tongue simply not wanting to catch anything yesterday. Got the red circle, was close enough for sure, and then...nothing. It maybe could've been the server (it wasn't a great one), but...I dunno.

And I haven't checked the flashlight thing, but I will next time I hop on.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
We all know that already. I"l be waiting until Valve makes an "official" VS Death Toll and Dead Air.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Still, a nice holdover, no?
Only if enough people actually download it to find a game.

Edit: Can you believe it? I got through an entire No Mercy Versus without any Path Blockers today! Tip: Before entering the elevator in a No Mercy Versus match, search for some form of Explosive; Propane Tank, Oxygen Tank, even a Pipe Bomb if you can throw it without it bouncing back into the elevator.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Correct me if im wrong, but can't you melee objects to move them out of the way. It's incredibly slow, but it still works? My friend told me about this but I never actually needed to use it.
Incredibly slow, as in a smart infected team can take you out by the time it's moved an inch. The wise player would always bring explosives as a precaution, but if none are available I've found that on occasion a Smoker pulling a survivor towards, meaning he is pulling them out which puts force ON the generator, can move the generator enough for the survivors to escape so long as the survivors don't constantly free the constricted survivor.

I found out the Smoker thing by total accident, it was simply a matter of the Special Infected doing their best to eliminate us and coincidentally giving us the opportunity to escape.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Puddin: The flashlight is a smidge bigger than on a shotty, definitely....but I wouldn't have ever noticed it unless I had taken pictures and compared them.

Maybe you had TWO pistols? It makes a difference, me thinks.

Puddin

Smash Lord
@ Puddin: The flashlight is a smidge bigger than on a shotty, definitely....but I wouldn't have ever noticed it unless I had taken pictures and compared them.

Maybe you had TWO pistols? It makes a difference, me thinks.
I did have two pistols, I guess I should have mentioned that, but I don't know how much that could have affected it because you always pick up a pistol with no flashlight so it shouldn't affect how big your original Pistol Flash Light is. I don't know, but now the number of pistols you have just became another factor because you dared to mention it. Darn.

Sensai

Smash Master
Your friend sounds like someone I wouldn't agree with when it comes to games...

Seriously, how could you be upset that Valve fixed a clearly silly and unintended aspect of the game's already most broken ability?

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, I suck when it comes to doing cheap maneuvers, so I have absolutely no problem with this.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
I have a problem like the smoker tongue thing, except with the boomer. Lots of the time I'll explode right next to survivors but then they won't be covered with the bile. Is this just a glitch or what?

Puddin

Smash Lord
I think my mind has just been blown. Today, during a Versus match in No Mercy, I was Incapped on a stairwell while my team was in the Safe House, I was quite a ways away because my team had used a window shortcut because a Tank was outside. So I started heading out to help my team when I become Incapped, I don't remember how but that's not important.

So I'm laying there on the floor, telling my team I only have 50 "HP" left and for them to simply stay put and not risk it (one of them had died in the Tank Attack) so I'm sitting there talking to them when I see a Boomer stumbling up the stairs, I began to shoot him when all of a sudden the bar for being revived came up saying a certain Gamertag (which I will keep private) of the OTHER team was reviving me. Yes, the Boomer of the other team had come to help me up. Of course after I got up he Vomited on me, but I didn't care because I was stuck in a state of pure awe and amazement.

I messaged him about it and he told me it was a fairly unknown glitch with the recognition of the teams, and even though the action icon does not appear it can still be preformed. Amazing huh? Try it out for yourself if you feel like successively amazing the Survivors and pissing off your Infected team.

tl;dr: Versus Infected can revive Survivors.

Puddin

Smash Lord
http://left4dead411.com/news/2008/11/infected-revive-bug/

I actually found a video. Enjoy, and be amazed.

I just took a minute and realized how NOT scary Left 4 Dead is. Sure, it's set during a Zombie Apocalypse but it just doesn't have that scary feeling, you know? It's just killing mindless drunks wandering the streets. However it certainly does get the hear pounding during the intense moments, and usually in the dark with hordes of Zombies after you with only your Flash Light and the burst of light from your gun.

Oh, and I know it's not worth mentioning but I feel so proud of myself for getting the Cr0wnd achievement AND Man vs. Tank in the same No Mercy campaign. Which is odd because I was Zoey, a woman killed the tank...not a man. Technically, of course.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
L4D was never scary to me, sure there are zombies and there are parts where it's dark but since it's 4 people working together it's not so scary.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I just noticed the strangest thing while watching the Intro Movie...

So I'm sure you're all familiar with it, Louis being stupid and startling the Witch, then going off alone and getting himself Pounced which brings a Horde and a Tank. But have any of you noticed that the side of the building that they climb up to get away from the Tank, and onto the roof at the beginning of No Mercy is the same side you exit out of?

I mean, it certainly explains where the stairs on that side went but if they were going to go back down there why not just stay there in the first place? I don't know, it just seems a bit odd.

Watching the Intro Movie made me wish the game had just a tinsy bit more Character Development and Story.

battousai555

Smash Ace
Anyone get excited when running from a tank? I get that weird feeling when I know he's just a step behind me. Of course, I'm not foolish enough to look behind me and lose speed ^^

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I don't know why he got rid of the flashlight, or made headshots mandatory to kill infected (technically, they're not undead, so you don't have to headshot them. Anything that can kill a human can kill an infected, except for other infected of course.), but everything else makes sense.

Top Bottom