• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Reaver197

Smash Lord
He got rid of the flashlight to make it scarier. It also lets you appreciate the excellent lighting that happens when you fire your gun in a dark room. It makes it all the more visceral and immersive.

The headshots only thing makes it so that the regular zombies are more difficult to kill, and thus, makes you more fearful of having to deal with them, especially a lot of them at once.

Puddin

Smash Lord
How is it even possible that I have 1/4 of the "What are you trying to prove?" achievement, but not the "Zombicidal Maniac" achievement? I was in the campaign since the lobby, so why didn't I get it?

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Puddin: The achievements are ****ed up. Dunno why.

And jeah, I saw that thing about the infected being able to help up the Survivors a while back. It's been fixed since then in the PC version, but apparently still do-able in the 360 version.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Yeah that mod could definitely be a tough challenge since you're slower and more fragile (and having a limited pistol ammunition would hurt me the most) though is it possible for the dude to actually go through a campaign with such limited supplies since head shots are the only effective kill besides fire and explosives.

I guess the SMG would get more milage in that scenario if its any bullet that is a headshot kills...If you have the accuracy and guts to try and single shots the infected with a loud weapon like that.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Yeah that mod could definitely be a tough challenge since you're slower and more fragile (and having a limited pistol ammunition would hurt me the most)
You still have unlimited ammo, just it's a bit slower and less accurate. the zombies themselves are also slown down a lot so that it is possible.

epic of DE

Smash Journeyman
Newark, DE (only a mile from University of Delawar
Really? Ok that definitly makes it seem more plausible but I thought I read that some of the changes was that the primary hand gun could run out, I'm going to check the vid again to make sure.

Ok yeah you're right its just that the heavier weapons can run out since you won't find ammo supplies.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
@ Puddin: The achievements are ****ed up. Dunno why.
I seem to have a few achievements that i dont even remember getting, like Lamb 2 Slaughter or Stomach Upset.

And that mod seems like it would just make it more like RE4 but faster paced and melee wouldnt be as broken.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
SUNY Binghamton / Suffolk County, New York
So I've been modding my L4D a bit. I got the Macho Man Randy Savage Mod, and then thought: Why stop from here?

Im making the tank into Arnold, and replacing random music. The only problem I've found is that the sound clip you use (Must be .WAV) is sped up or slowed down for some reason. I think it may have to be the same length as the original sound clip. It's very obvious when you replace sound clips of gunshots. So you have to edit your soundclip to be longer or shorter depending upon the file you replace, I guess. Example:

My new boomer music plays like 4x faster.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Someone needs to mod the Boomer into the Kool-Aid Man.

Just imagine breaking through a wall and vomiting on people. That SCREAMS "OH, YEEEEAH!"

Charizard92

Smash Champion
:evil:

Anyway, I have around 1.5 months 'till I get this game, and I plan to also ask my parents for an updated graphics card (and a computer Mic) for my birthday. I'm celebrating 17 by finally ignoring the M rating on the box (of course, I barely even like most games on the box, and I hate halo and Grand theft auto, so Valve may be the ONLY real addition to my consideration line).

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
So, I got 705 kills across a Dead Air campaign. That's excluding the 29 Boomers, 26 Smokers, and 19 Hunters I killed. Done with a Hunting Rifle, 2 Pistols, 21 Pipe Bombs, and 9 Molotovs. Also got my Man VS. Tank out of it. Done on Advanced.

Puddin

Smash Lord
So, I got 705 kills across a Dead Air campaign. That's excluding the 29 Boomers, 26 Smokers, and 19 Hunters I killed. Done with a Hunting Rifle, 2 Pistols, 21 Pipe Bombs, and 9 Molotovs. Also got my Man VS. Tank out of it. Done on Advanced.
Man Vs. Tank has got to be one of the most exhilarating achievements to achieve. I got mine during a Finale when ALL of my teammates were dead, it sure as hell get's your heart pounding.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I'm most likely going to aim for the safety first award on my first play through (obviously on easy, this is really the first FPS I have played with a real gun, especially on the computer [Portal does not work the same way])

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Man Vs. Tank has got to be one of the most exhilarating achievements to achieve. I got mine during a Finale when ALL of my teammates were dead, it sure as hell get's your heart pounding.
I got mine because my teammates rushed ahead and I got stuck with the consequences.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
I have yet to get it. I've had crappy teammates, but never had I had them so bad that they couldn't hit the tank once before I kill it. Even if all are incap'd, if one stray pistol hits it, no bonus for you.

One thing I've noticed. You guys say that fighting a tank is exhilarating. "gets your heart pounding". I don't get that. When a tank comes I don't really flip a ****. Usually the tank has his mind set on one person. So, the 75% of time it's not me, I just stand behind the tank and pump shotgun rounds into him as my teammate is pummeled. It works a lot better if the teammate is trapped in a corner, since the tank doesn't move and you don't have to chase, allowing you to hit him at point blank range.. Unfortunately, I don't usually find my teammates doing the same. This is unfortunate. -.-

trueganon

Smash Journeyman
Hahaha, I know that all too well. Risk your neck for them just to have them leave you high and dry when it counts the most. They are probably thinking, 'hope it doesn't come after me next' and keep thier distance, further harming you. But all in all, better to have people who panic at the sight of a Tank then to have the 'Lone Wolf' heroes.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I have yet to get it. I've had crappy teammates, but never had I had them so bad that they couldn't hit the tank once before I kill it. Even if all are incap'd, if one stray pistol hits it, no bonus for you.

One thing I've noticed. You guys say that fighting a tank is exhilarating. "gets your heart pounding". I don't get that. When a tank comes I don't really flip a ****. Usually the tank has his mind set on one person. So, the 75% of time it's not me, I just stand behind the tank and pump shotgun rounds into him as my teammate is pummeled. It works a lot better if the teammate is trapped in a corner, since the tank doesn't move and you don't have to chase, allowing you to hit him at point blank range.. Unfortunately, I don't usually find my teammates doing the same. This is unfortunate. -.-
I said when you are getting "Man vs. Tank," not when you have your dumb dumb teammates to use as bait.

battousai555

Smash Ace
You should play with your friends and have everyone camp in the corner if you all have auto-shotguns. The tank can only hit one person at a time, so one person ends up tanking the tank. Everyone unloading 10 auto-shotty rounds into the tank at the same time still owns, despite the reduced damage from the update.

Sensai

Smash Master
You should play with your friends and have everyone camp in the corner if you all have auto-shotguns. The tank can only hit one person at a time, so one person ends up tanking the tank. Everyone unloading 10 auto-shotty rounds into the tank at the same time still owns, despite the reduced damage from the update.
And this is the main problem with the tank.

Why does the Tank only hit one person? The idea is that the Tank should cause fear in people and have them run around, not to consolidate in a corner.**

@ cornxnuts: Are you playing Vs or Campaign? If you're playing Campaign (on sub-Advanced), I can understand why the Tank would go after one person. If you're playing Vs...then you just play against ****ty tanks.

**this works for everything. It SHOULDN'T work with the Tank.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351

Why does the Tank only hit one person? The idea is that the Tank should cause fear in people and have them run around, not to consolidate in a corner.**

@ cornxnuts: Are you playing Vs or Campaign? If you're playing Campaign (on sub-Advanced), I can understand why the Tank would go after one person. If you're playing Vs...then you just play against ****ty tanks.

They need to make the Tank able to melee multiple survivors at once, and increase its amount of health. The thing dies way too easily in Versus. This is what makes Tank parking so appealing.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Not to mention if you mess up as the Tank you can generally expect a "Kick Your Name?" message to instantly appear after your death. LIVE is full of jerks and asswipes.

Sensai

Smash Master
Not to mention if you mess up as the Tank you can generally expect a "Kick Your Name?" message to instantly appear after your death. LIVE is full of jerks and asswipes.
And people who simply don't seem all that intelligent.

At work, I enjoy taking the occasional break and lookin' around at some L4D videos for ideas about this or that, but it's mostly pointless: most of the people who upload videos with actual meat in them play on Live...and they're playing against people who are really pretty...dumb.

I truly feel sorry for the intelligent portion of Live. I wish I could get you guys all decent computers so you could join us.

-=-

BTW: I'm not saying that the PC version contains only geniuses, nor am I saying that I've played extensively on Live...I'm just saying what I saw and relaying my condolences to you.

[Edit:]

That's it, I'm deleting my signature. Too big.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Serris, I'm not familiar with your terminology: 'parking?'
"Parking the Tank" is when you set up an ambush with a Tank. Spawn it, move it to your desired location, and let the control meter drop for the two players that are controlling it. (Just be sure to let your teammates know of your plan.) The music will cease because the AI has taken over and assumes it hasn't been spotted. Great for ambushing in Safe Rooms, but the AI is stupid when it comes to properly controlling a Tank.

Puddin

Smash Lord
And people who simply don't seem all that intelligent.

At work, I enjoy taking the occasional break and lookin' around at some L4D videos for ideas about this or that, but it's mostly pointless: most of the people who upload videos with actual meat in them play on Live...and they're playing against people who are really pretty...dumb.

I truly feel sorry for the intelligent portion of Live. I wish I could get you guys all decent computers so you could join us.

-=-

BTW: I'm not saying that the PC version contains only geniuses, nor am I saying that I've played extensively on Live...I'm just saying what I saw and relaying my condolences to you.

[Edit:]

That's it, I'm deleting my signature. Too big.
Trust me, if I had a computer that could run it I absolutely would. Unfortunately I don't, and I'm in much of a position for an upgrade. I'm sure running it on the PC would greatly reduce the amount of matches I join in which the only person with a mic is screaming "AAAH WITCH, GO AROUND IT!!! IT WILL HURT YOU!!!"

And, if you hadn't guessed, I'm referring to the large number of children whose parents disregard ratings (Not that I approve of the rating system, it would just be nice to join a match with people who know how to play the game, instead of "The best 7 year old Halo 3 player alive")

battousai555

Smash Ace

I agree 100%. I used to be pretty f****** scared of the tank until I learned how easy it is to r***.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Puddin: Haha...I'm so sorry, but it's pretty funny. GL to ya, mate.

@ Serris: Ah, so that's what you kids are callin' it nowadays? Cool. Only had a team filled with people intelligent enough to do that once, maybe twice...but it's definitely a cool thing when it happens.

Anyways, thanks for droppin' some knowledge.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
I played both campaign and vs, but mostly vs. (I have done expert campaigns though, usually here we either make the choice to camp in a room or try to run+weaken tank before going into a room.)

In Vs, theres not much you can do if 4 people stand in the 4 corners of a small room. You can't just sit outside, but going inside means certain death and not incapping more than 1 survivor. If im the tank, I usually tell the other infected to get ready. I rush in, sight+meat shielding the boomer thats behind me. (hopefully) With luck, he can cover at least 2 survivors, which will make my job easier. Works really well in Darker rooms.

Even hunter pounces can make an important difference. The other survivors will want to hit the tank off, giving the tank extra hits on whoever he is pummeling. There is also the time it takes for the pounced victim to stand up, could be 1 - 2 hits.

Puddin

Smash Lord
I played both campaign and vs, but mostly vs. (I have done expert campaigns though, usually here we either make the choice to camp in a room or try to run+weaken tank before going into a room.)

In Vs, theres not much you can do if 4 people stand in the 4 corners of a small room. You can't just sit outside, but going inside means certain death and not incapping more than 1 survivor. If im the tank, I usually tell the other infected to get ready. I rush in, sight+meat shielding the boomer thats behind me. (hopefully) With luck, he can cover at least 2 survivors, which will make my job easier. Works really well in Darker rooms.

Even hunter pounces can make an important difference. The other survivors will want to hit the tank off, giving the tank extra hits on whoever he is pummeling. There is also the time it takes for the pounced victim to stand up, could be 1 - 2 hits.
Trouble is whenever someone on my team becomes the Tank the rest of the team is usually inconveniently dead. And when they do get to spawn they constantly receive that "You are too close to the survivors" bull****, but I don't want to get started on that I'd just like to say that no. No the survivors cannot see me a mill up this hill behind this tree, sure there is no giant concrete wall blocking their view of me but NO they can NOT see me behind this tree, a mile up a hill.

Anyone else find that annoying? If you do get behind a wall from the survivors you are too close, when you finally get far enough away they can see you. It's a huge annoyance during Blood Harvest.

cornxnuts

Smash Apprentice
Psh I don't play blood harvest too much. No Mercy ftw. Whenever I get the "You will become the tank" or "Tank is approaching", I usually tell me teammates to not be rash and get themselves killed. My close group of friends know this, so when the tank comes, we have:

-A competent tank
-75% chance human-controlled boomer.
-100% chance at least one human controlled hunter.
-One AI infected.

If someone has to wait ~10 seconds for them to spawn, the tank just runs around for a bit. Not sure how long it takes to lose control, but we still have plenty of time to make a full assault.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
1.5 months to go, 1.5 months to go. You know what, I might not be playing vs for awhile, so if you see me on the internet (OK, get into the same game with me), It's likely going to be campaign (hopefully after I get Safety first, as I really want it).

PS. I claim hunting rifle.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
I don't like how the game falls flat on its face when it comes to character development. In fact, I've only seen one decent instant:

Zoey: Ugh, the zombies are so fast. It's unfair to us. I'm calling zombie bull**** on this one. *laughs*

Reworded.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I never thought I'd go looking for the military!

I hate the woods.

There's pleanty of character development :D

But seriously, this isn't HL. They're just 4 randoms fighting zombies.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
In Versus today, when we were in the elevator, an Infected (Tank, most likely) moved a garbage can so we couldn't get out. I was so ticked and surprised. Really sucked. :/

Sensai

Smash Master
Valve actually talks about the storytelling in the commentary, which everyone here should watch. It's very cool.

The original idea was to have all 4 movies be part of a larger story, but they canned it after recieving some player feedback that supported splitting up the movies.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9f-VVQK3k&

Puddin

Smash Lord
Valve actually talks about the storytelling in the commentary, which everyone here should watch. It's very cool.

The original idea was to have all 4 movies be part of a larger story, but they canned it after recieving some player feedback that supported splitting up the movies.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc9f-VVQK3k&
I also noticed that during the finale one of the Commentary things mentions having the Chopper Pilot becoming infected as a part of the tied in plot of the four movies, but they decided to remove it. But during the No Mercy Finale the chopper pilot mentions having an "incident" which is obviously him being bit, and thus infected even though they said they removed it.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I keep forgetting there's commentary. guess there's another reason to play more :D

Top Bottom