• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, so the Sniper rifle is the most flawed of the 2nd tier guns. I was kinda biased for the rifle anyway, which may cloud judgment. I'd guess I'll have to experiment on my own a bit.

Sensai

Smash Master
Actually, and this may be a bit of bias showing here, I'm pretty sure that the sniper rifle is the most flawed out of ANY gun. Seriously, I'd rather use a pump shotty then a sniper rifle.

I'm being completely honest here.

Also, I tried out an assault rifle today. Liked it a lot simply because it made head shotting a much easier affair...but I'm still in love with the auto-shotty.

/fantasizes

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
The sniper is (unsuprisngly) poor in closed in levels such as no mercy, but in levels that are more open (such as Blood Harvest, specifically the Train area) the Sniper is really useful. Add in the fact it's a 1HKO and pierces through 3 zombies when a horde comes it's still pretty decent.

Wish they'd get the other levels online for VS, my friends insist on only doing vs onliine (though can't complain, *Hunter leaps on someone* "nom nom nom")

Charizard92

Smash Champion
The sniper is (unsuprisngly) poor in closed in levels such as no mercy, but in levels that are more open (such as Blood Harvest, specifically the Train area) the Sniper is really useful. Add in the fact it's a 1HKO and pierces through 3 zombies when a horde comes it's still pretty decent.
So, No Mercy (and to a degree, Dead Air) are areas where the sniper rifle does poorly, while Blood Harvest (and to a degree, Death toll) are rather kind to the sniper rifle (I kinda made a guess on Death toll and Dead air based on most of their areas, there are a few open areas and closed areas in each, but Death Toll is relatively open and Dead air is relatively closed).

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'd say so, though I haven't played through Dead Air and Death toll yet. Think I'll do those tomorrow.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Death Toll is my favorite out of the three I played. No Mercy is boring unless I am doing versus. I kinda wish you could do Versus on Death Toll too, but oh well.

Sensai

Smash Master
People have figured out a way to play Death Toll/Dead Air on versus. It's all done server side (I think), but it's definitely in the works from people around the community.

And I think my favorite is probably Death Toll too. Probably because I've played it few enough times for it to still be 'fresh' yet played it enough so that I'm not completely confused.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Man I LOVE Death Toll, there's just something that pulls me back to it every time. I guess it's the different locations because in Blood Harvest or No Mercy it feels pretty similar all the way through, minus the finale and maybe the level before the finale.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I am kinda biased against Death toll (**** You suburbia!) and kinda biased towards towards No Mercy (Me like big city), Blood Harvest and Dead air are kinda tied (Dead air is based on a Urban/suburban area, and Blood harvest is mostly woods)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I'd watch it but I've had my fill of rage for today. Watching Yahtzee's reviews makes me wonder if he actually likes games or if he plays them just so he can find flaws in them.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Don't you know Yahtzee kisses *** to Valve? He only criticizes the AI Director and a few small other things.

Puddin

Smash Lord
Well it was made by Valve so you can only expect the highest of FPS quality, considering their work with Portal, Half Life, and TF2. But it might depend on what system you get it for, rumor has it that Valve has considered a PS3 port of the game but that will probably not happen for a while and with most PC to Console transitions the game is watered down to near unrecognizable status by the time it reaches the console. So if you have to option to buy it for the PC I would definitely recommend it.

You could watch Yahtzee's review for info on any flaws there might be that could keep you from buying the game though because well..that's really he ever does.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
That's what I'm thinking. I've played it and it feels like this is one of those games where the novelty wears off in about a month or so.

Puddin

Smash Lord
PC is not an option....

I had to stop playing Guild Wars because my old PC crashed and my "new" one is a piece of trash.
That's sad since Valve is usually nicer to it's PC games. Although I'm in the same position as you because my PC doesn't meet the requirements...

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I don't have It but I think It should work. Then again, the only PC game I have installed in years is Spore, which doesn't require as much.

Sensai

Smash Master
Ew....you played Spore the whole way through? Gross.

And I'm thinking you should get the game. It's good, haha. If you can find it for under 30 bucks, definitely go for it.

As for whether it's worth full price, I'm not sure. It really, REALLY depends on whether you have friends who are willing to play with you through it all.

Friends make this game worth while or make it suck. Seriously.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
My laptop is under requirements but runs it brilliantly (might be under 'recommended' not required though)

If you have friends to play it with: AWESOME
If you don't have friends to play it with: Definetly fun, but will wear thin after a while.

PC'll be better since Microsoft is being ***** with Valve about DLc so L4D PC will probably have new maps and zombies in a few months while the 360 version'll probably stay the same.

Speaking of new zombies, me and my fellow zombie-slaying friends came up with two new ideas.

Projectile zombie: Rips off it's hand (which regrows after a while) and throws it at a player. if it hits them they take hit damage, then the hand crawls over onto their face, obscuring vision and doing small damage over time until someone punches you in the face to remove it.

Torso Zombie: Similar to the torso headcrab zombie in Halflife but instead of crawling super slow and basically being less threatening than a Level 1 Sandbag, crawls super fast (well 'walks', too small to crouch) and latches on to peoples legs, slowing their movement. the zombie is totally silent short of a very quiet skitter noise. Wondering why suddenly you can't run from the horde despite meleeing a path? Might be because you got one of these stuck on your leg. the fact that you can actually SEE your legs makes this brilliant.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Ew....you played Spore the whole way through? Gross.

And I'm thinking you should get the game. It's good, haha. If you can find it for under 30 bucks, definitely go for it.

As for whether it's worth full price, I'm not sure. It really, REALLY depends on whether you have friends who are willing to play with you through it all.

Friends make this game worth while or make it suck. Seriously.
My laptop is under requirements but runs it brilliantly (might be under 'recommended' not required though)

If you have friends to play it with: AWESOME
If you don't have friends to play it with: Definetly fun, but will wear thin after a while.

PC'll be better since Microsoft is being ***** with Valve about DLc so L4D PC will probably have new maps and zombies in a few months while the 360 version'll probably stay the same.

Speaking of new zombies, me and my fellow zombie-slaying friends came up with two new ideas.

Projectile zombie: Rips off it's hand (which regrows after a while) and throws it at a player. if it hits them they take hit damage, then the hand crawls over onto their face, obscuring vision and doing small damage over time until someone punches you in the face to remove it.

Torso Zombie: Similar to the torso headcrab zombie in Halflife but instead of crawling super slow and basically being less threatening than a Level 1 Sandbag, crawls super fast (well 'walks', too small to crouch) and latches on to peoples legs, slowing their movement. the zombie is totally silent short of a very quiet skitter noise. Wondering why suddenly you can't run from the horde despite meleeing a path? Might be because you got one of these stuck on your leg. the fact that you can actually SEE your legs makes this brilliant.
Yes, I have played spore full way through (I make a lot of raptors)

Errrrr, Oh boy, there might be a problem, as I might be the first person I know who gets this.

Great, Valve incorporated their in their infamous head crab into the game, What's next, GLaDOS? (Sarcasm)

Charizard92

Smash Champion
He said he and his friend created them. As in they aren't in the game.
Ohh... Say, if they are adding any more special zombies, are they going to revive that zombie they threw out? (they were originally going to have a special zombie called a screamer, which doesn't attack, but yells and summons a horde. This was scrapped and the Boomer got the horde summoning property)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I doubt it since it would be essentially the same as a Boomer, they would have to make him different in some other way to make him stand out.

Sensai

Smash Master
I'm also going to assume that they wouldn't bring the Screamer back, as they talk about a few key problems with it in the commentary.

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
I really hope they introduce a new boss infected to counter closeting. Otherwise versus will get very dull very soon.

Sensai

Smash Master
I really hope they introduce a new boss infected to counter closeting. Otherwise versus will get very dull very soon.
You gotta think that that'll be fixed sometime soon though, right?

I mean, Valve already removed at least one closet (finale of No Mercy, they completely changed the last building), so it kinda makes sense that they would remove some more.

But you're right, it completely breaks Vs mode at the moment [EDIT] on those few levels that have it.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
But you're right, it completely breaks Vs mode at the moment [EDIT] on those few levels that have it.
For who anyway? Is it even possible for the survivors to succeed in VS mode, or do the zombies have the total control (Now you know why Zombies aren't typically smart [they aren't smart in reality either])

Sensai

Smash Master
It breaks it for everyone, as there's no real danger as long as there's a closet about.

And @ ExCel 52, Justblaze647: Apples to anvils, guys.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK. Well, when I was bored I decided to check the L4D wiki site, and I decided to make some calculations on the guns. There are three numbers, How much a single round does, how much a clip can do, and how much damage all that ammo combined can do (of course, the last number is just for show, as there is no real reason to completely waste all your ammo [except if you panic easily. If that's the case, you should lay off the SMG and assault rifle])

Pistol: 35, 525, potentially infinite (unlimited ammo, duh)
Dual Pistol: 35, 1050, Potentially infinite (unlimited ammo)
Shotgun: 240, 1920, 30720
SMG: 19, 950, 9120
Assault rifle: 32, 1600, 11520
Auto Shotgun: 288, 2880, 36864
Hunting Rifle: 90, 1350, 16200

These numbers are based on the assumption that the L4D wiki numbers on damage is correct. If this is true, then the Most powerful gun (1 shot, 1 clip, all ammo [Pistols are discounted because they have unlimited ammo]) is the auto shotgun and the least powerful (1 shot, all ammo) is the smg and (1 clip) the single pistol.

Oh, and if you want to check, here's the wiki.
http://left4dead.wikia.com/wiki/Left_4_Dead_Wiki

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Wow the SMG does terribly compared to everything else, they should probably up the damage or something to make it worth picking up.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Yeah, If you're trying to go for the safety first award (don't hit any team mates, Cpus do well on this, humans don't), you're better off going akimbo (Pistol only, named after the award for doing so, akimbo assassin) until you get to an assault or hunting rifle (or just continue with just the pistols for the akimbo assassin award).

Oh, and by the way, despite the fact that the hunting rifle does best in open areas, it can take out a line of infected, thus making it more practical in a horde than expected (especially if that horde is coming at you in a hallway, like in the hospital level). Still, it is practically the inverse of the Auto shotgun, so both have technically more flaws than the assault rifle (Hunting does well far away, shotgun does best up close, and the assault rifle says "**** range, I don't give a ****")

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It breaks it for everyone, as there's no real danger as long as there's a closet about.
They're still rather spread out, and they're needed, otherwise as soon as one guy dies, they'll just leave the game. Besides, usually after one goes down, the others go down fairly fast unless they're right by the closet.

I just hope they fix the **** cheat on the roof of No Mercy where you can just crawl underneth one of the metal ramps. Normal zombies can't get there, Boomer's usless, Hunters can't jump under there and the smoker is usless since people just gathre up so as soon as it starts, they break it. Tank can't get under there either.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
So there IS hope for the survivors against smart zombies (Humans). Anyway, I'm contemplating a mini-guide for the guns here. No need to regard now, I haven't played the game yet, It'll become better once I do.

Darkslash

Smash Master
I noticed that the SMG's ridiculous ROF kinda makes up for the low damage. Though the Assault rifle to me is more better than the Auto Shotgun. the Autty(yea i made up that word right now) sucks at medium to long ranges. I swear to god this smoker was just standing 12 feet from me and it took me 3 shots to kill. The AR would of took 1 to the head.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, time for the guide:

Pistol:
basics: the most basic weapon you get, it actually is better than one would expect on a fall upon weapon. Unlimited ammo, and being the only gun you can handle while stricken, it is actually quite strong (35 damage). 15 rounds kinda sucks, but you can improve that with a second one.
personal view: Honestly, I find this more reliable than the other two tier 1 weapons

Shotgun:
basics: the shotgun is simple, it is really powerful, and has massive stopping power, yet it isn't accurate from afar, and it has a cone effect. Also, it has a slow reload and rate of fire, with the somewhat pathetic one by one reload, and has the lowest ammo count.
personal view: unless you aren't aiming for the safety first award, go away. It is rather flawed though...

SMG:
Basics: the highest ammo count hides an awful truth about this weapon. Being fully automatic, it is rather easy to actually waste that ammo, especially since it's the weakest weapon in the game. It is somewhat accurate though.
personal view: if you don't plan on hitting anyone, just stick with the pistol, this is better being tossed than kept

Assault rifle:
basics: This is supposed to be an improved smg, and considering that the bar was low from the start, it decides to go nuts and go overboard. The potential to waste that ammo is still high, risking it even more with a lower ammo count, but it is nearly as powerful as the pistol. It also can cover any range, and it is deadly accurate.
personal view: low power and potential to waste ammo aside, this is a really good gun.

Auto shotgun:
basics: this is essentially an improved version of the shotgun. it has more power, a larger clip, and a faster rate of fire. Unfortunately, this still keeps the unfortunate side effects of it's tier 1 counterpart. It still risks friendly fire, and it still requires you to load each round one by one, and it still has the same amount of ammo.
personal view: see shotgun.

Hunting rifle:
basics: the hunting rifle's basic purpose is the obvious inverse of the auto shotty. It is meant for long ranges, especially open areas (complimented with a scope). In a game like Left 4 Dead, this sounds like more of a curse than a blessing, but in full reality, it s actually quite good. It pierces zombies, so you can take out an entire line with one shot (and considering that you have more ammo than either shotgun, you might be thankful for that). It can also make sure that you don't have trouble ahead, as you can kill common zombies in a single shot from afar most of the time (and in case it doesn't, it is real good at head shots). It can also penetrate walls, so you could save a friends life from a hunter despite the fact that he is on the opposite side of a wall.
personal view: while it is real handy to be efficient with the pistol too, not a bad option.

Again, IMO

Top Bottom