• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Left 4 Dead Series (New DLC planned!)

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
I've been playing this game almost non stop since it came out.
Buy this game, it's amazing. I haven't bought a game in years but this.... I'm already satisfied with the money I spent and I haven't even gotten through the campaign yet.
Red Ex, if you're looking for some good people to get through expert with you, send me a PM with your steam addy! I'd love to put you on my friends list so we can do the campaign.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I haven't really started playing Expert online yet, I just screw around in versus but when vacation comes around I might try it out. The major problem is finding a good server, I was on one last night where everyone had red bars and the game basically stuttered along.

Weimdog

Smash Journeyman
That was probably a local server. People are still learning that you must play using the dedicated server option. It doesn't take long for your lobby to get one, and the pings aren't all red like local. Let me know if you want to play sometime!

K64

Smash Apprentice
L4D is good, but I did wish it had some split-screen co-op. I don't get along w/ most people online and I shouldn't have to go out there and spend more cash just to have a good session.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ K64: I'm fairly surprised you bought it for the 360. Don't people know to get FPSs for the computer yet?

ESPECIALLY if they're made by Valve.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Isn't that the truth. The console versions of TF2 haven't even gotten the updates yet and even then you have to pay for them, whenever they come out, I can only imagine history will repeat itself with L4D.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Me and 3 of my friends (OHH JOY) are going to the local internet Cafe and play us some L4D and possibly Some Call of Duty World at War Co-op. Now who's the best Character to use exactly? Are they all the same?

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah they're identical gameplay-wise, the only difference is characters have different lines for different situations, Bill hates vans, Francis hates hunters, Louis wants to grab everything he can and Zoey is Zoey.

Sensai

Smash Master
Bill is the Vietnam War vet.
Francis is the biker guy.
Louis is black.
Zoey is female.

I'm assuming you know what the zombies are and what they do, right?

(Also, as an aside: does anyone else think that the PC version has been dumbed down to make it seem like the 360 version wasn't? I mean, you have to go to the console to see the server browser, or even see your PING. Seriously.)

Darkslash

Smash Master
So are the Dual Pistols the best weapon in the game? I hear the Pistol Ammo is unlimited so yea. Plus i hear witches are a ***** for real. 1 hit kill.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
The pistols only works well if you're pistol sniping or your team is moving well together but when a horde comes you'll need something better.

As for Witches, they're easy to kill once you prepare. If you can't pass her set her on fire if possible, have everyone stand in front of whoever is going to wake her up and offload their guns into her. If it fails she'll incap you but she should die shortly after. If she kills you she'll run off screaming.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_4_Dead

According to this (don't have game yet, waiting for 17th birthday), Witches are potentially the worst Zombie to encounter, namely since they can just kill you and run. They are weaker than tanks, so if you stir one you have a shot at taking it down, but prepare for blood. You are better of trying to play Solid snake and sneak past them than playing "MACHO MAN" or "The Hero!". Don't listen to your testosterone, don't be a hero (unless someone is being attacked, then you can be a hero), stay away from the ****ing witches! (Unless trying to unlock rewards, It's your funeral). Fortunately, they will keep to themselves unless you stir them (Which include flash lights, noise, touching it, or starring at it too long).

Once again, I don't have the game (and it is obvious that when I do [PC], I will be trying to listen to common sense and the survival instinct, not testosterone), so what I say may not be the MOST reliable (it is somewhat reliable though)

Sensai

Smash Master
Tanks are the worst zombie to encounter, period.

Witches are bad, but easily done away with as long as that's all you're doing. If you've been hit by a Boomer and someone wakes the witch, that's probably game right there.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Yeah, Tanks can mess up your whole team if you get him in a bad place [like on the 28th floor of Mercy Hospital where he can punch you clean off the building], Witches will only kill 1 person, unless weird stuff happens and she might kill 2. Tanks can also punch cars into your team and down everyone if you're close enough. I've managed down quiet a few people by punching stuff into them as a Tank.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Witches are nothing. I got the Witchhunter achievement without even trying. Tanks? ****. I got lucky and killed two with minimal help in No Mercy. I have no idea how I will get some of those achievements though.

Darkslash

Smash Master
My group of friends who play L4d now came up for code names for the 4 survivors.

Bill=McCain: Vietnam Vet. 'nuff said
Zoey=Palin: A girl who somewhat doesn't seem to belong but she is there.
Louis=Obama:Some what inexperienced at first but then becomes a vital member
Francis=Bidan: One of those guys you don't expect at all but turn into a vital ally.

Yea Francis was kinda hard to make up to be honest...

So is it true that single Zombies are just like the stereotypical zombies and the Horde Zombies are 28 week infected? From the vids i seen the single zombies just stand there and the horde just rush and rush.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Witches are nothing. I got the Witchhunter achievement without even trying. Tanks? ****. I got lucky and killed two with minimal help in No Mercy. I have no idea how I will get some of those achievements though.
I managed to get the normal ones pretty easily but the ones like taking no damage from special infected for the whole campaign just seem impossible.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
Is there some kind of list on swf for people to put their steam accounts in so those who want can add each other and if not then why?

Edit: Smashboards Online, there we go.

Darkslash

Smash Master
Played it on Saturday and pretty much went crazy with hunters and tanks. I have some problem with the hunters. Every time i kill one i just go crazy with the dualies. I just unload my whole clip into them.

Sensai

Smash Master
@ Darkslash: You should get that checked. :-D

Anyone here think that the Smoker needs a pretty big de-suckifying and that the Tank needs to NOT be able to kill an entire team?

Darkslash

Smash Master

Anyone here think that the Smoker needs a pretty big de-suckifying and that the Tank needs to NOT be able to kill an entire team?
1) Do I?

2) the smoker is a mobber. That means that he's the guy who hangs you and then the horde start ****** you. The Tank is well, a Tank. The Tank is pretty much how much Teamwork you are willing to do. Of course there's a achievement that says defeat a tank single handed, but team work makes the tank go plonk in minutes.

Plus i just love how pistols never run out of ammo.

Red Exodus

Smash Master

I haven't had any major problems with Tanks but Smokers DEFINITELY need a fix. ASAP.

The tongue is slow to fire.
The tongue is easily knocked off.
Auto aim screws you over if the survivors are crowded.
Survivors have a big opportunity to escape [sometimes to tongue just drops off]
They drag you so slowly any one can run up to the survivor and save him before you do any damage and kill you while they're at it.
They do minimal damage.
Tongue takes forever to recharge.

Whenever I get the smoker in versus I either lose a good chance to get someone because of the bull**** aiming or I'm not in a position to make use of the Smoker's ability. They said the Smoker was going to be able to poison you the longer he dragged you and he'd be able to release a cloud of smoke at will but he doesn't have that, similarly the hunter was supposed to be able to cloak and silence himself while crouched but I guess they thought that was too broken but it would definitely help in some situations.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
From the sounds of it, smokers are somewhat of a joke and Tanks, well, are really painful and lethal. I'm contemplating on getting this for my birthday, is there any real concern with the Bombers and Hunters (and is there any generic physical description of the Boss zombie, I know the Bomber's fat and the Tank=the Hulk, now how about the other three?)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I played this game last Sunday with some friends at a PC Cafe.

This game is WAY too much fun, I couldn't get enough of either mode between cooperative and versus.

I absolutely CRIED when I was chosen to be the Tank. Lots of **** occured.

Speaking of which, I had a pretty lulzy moment:

Tank was on its way to **** the group (we were on Expert Mode), due to the music change. I can't remember what scenario. Anyways, as he's approaching, I catch a glimpse of him through the trees, so I try to nail him with my rifle, and miss and shoot a car. The alarm goes off, and a horde rushes the group from nowhere as the Tank catches us.

I lol'd accordingly. I was the only survivor, only to die from several straggling zombies.

Truly a great game.

My favorite part though, is definately holding down a fort for 10 minutes straight. Oh, and the witches are HILARIOUS when it's not YOUR *** they're after.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Witches are NOTHING for me. Sneak up, shotgun until empty. I hate playing as Smokers, but I LOVE playing as Boomers. I am actually quite good, I just find the reload time for both smokers and boomers seems to be too long. With a good team, the boomer gets one shot and he's dead, but I know for a fact the NPC boomers reload a lot faster.

Tanks are fun.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
www.left4dead411.com

Has more information than I could ever hope to give you about L4D.
OK, I got the appearance (apparently boils isn't universal, The basic infected, along with the hunter and witch, are relatively boil free) down, so now, outside the smoker (who's threat level is kinda... low) and the tank (Need I say more?) I have no Idea on the threat level of the other three (witch varies due to experience, now about the ugly boomer and the hunter, what about those guys?)

Red Exodus

Smash Master
OK, You confirmed that the boomer is fat and the tank is the hulk, but the other three remain unanswered on threat level & general appearance (outside the likely chance of ugly Boils, that is now a given)
I assume you're referring to the Hunter, Smoker and Witch.

Hunters are the short hooded ones that pounce, not too much to worry about unless they jump from really high up because they get damage bonuses the higher they pounce you from [one time I did 30 damage when I jumped from the top of an apartment straight to the street level]. Once they pounce you you can't do anything unless a teammate knocks it off by either meleeing it or shooting off [some believe shooting it off does FF but I think it doesn't matter as long as you aim carefully].

Smokers are the tall ones that have a smoky/dusty trail [which makes them impossible to lose track off]. They pull you in with their tongues. If it pulls a survivor against an object it'll straggle them against it. You can knock off the tongues with Melee or you can kill the Smoker to free the survivor. When they die they release a cloud of smoke that blocks your vision if you're inside and makes your character cough so you can't call out responses or instructions [like how characters automatically scream Tank/hunter/smoker/witch/boomer when they see it].

The witch is the light pink one that sits cries until someone wakes [by shooting her or standing to close to her] her up then she goes a on rampage to kill whoever woke her. She incaps in one hit and tries to kill the survivor after that, if she succeeds she runs off without killing anyone else. Right now she doesn't pose much a of threat because hardly anything wakes her, so unless she blocks a narrow path you can run past her flashlight on guns blazing and screaming at the top of your lungs.

Darkslash

Smash Master
OK, You confirmed that the boomer is fat and the tank is the hulk, but the other three remain unanswered on threat level & general appearance (outside the likely chance of ugly Boils, that is now a given)
The ratings i am about to give are from experiences from Advance level. I havn't played as them yet so you gotta get some one else to tell you.

Hunter
Threat: 5-8
Alone the Hunter is dangerous. When attack you are in a helpless state. With another survivor it becomes little more than target practice. A shove and 2 shots are all that's needed. Its physical movements are Spidermanish. He crawls and jumps all over the place. It physical appearance is a jogger with his hoodie on his head.

Smoker
Threat:2-8
Alone your screwed if a smoker gets you. They're always in a spot where its tongue creates a kind of angle, and thus a noose. They then let the horde kill you. With a survivor they're a joke. 2 shots from a pistol usually gets them. Its physical appearance is a man with a broken head with a abnormally long tongue sticking out of its mouth.

Wtich
Threat:7-10
As eminem said. Don't mess with the ****ing witch. On Advance and Expert she'll kill you with 1 swipe. If your a crack shot with a shot gun you can sneak and head shot her. I havn't tried the sniper yet so it may work. It is easily disturbed by light, gunfire and simply being stepped on. Appearance is a sobbing woman with a pinkish appearance. When heard sobbing turn off your flashlights.

and there you go my some what guide on 3 of the bosses of L4d

Charizard92

Smash Champion
OK, A: You left 2 out (Bomber [which I did need to know difficulty on] and tank [which is kinda self explanatory])
B: I didn't really need pictures or details anymore (since I already seen them)
C: you can't play as a witch. Oh, and you're odds are rather low on getting a tank (one per run)
D: I think I was the guy who said not to mess with the witch.
and E: IMO, the hunter wins the reward for least ugly, but part of that is the hoodie.

Darkslash

Smash Master
DON'T **** WITH THE ****ING WITCH MAN!!!

A little L4D humor.

Any ways you wanted to know about the boomer? Okay so this is all i know

Boomer
Threat 7-10
Big,fat,ugly and dangerous. The Boomer is one of those infected that seem comical with its 1 hit bullet death but its almost as deadly as the witch. It throws up on you and can cause major blindness. whats worse is that the bile it throws up ATTRACTS the Horde like a car alarm.

Tank
Threat: Common a **** 10

This infected is ,of course the most dangerous one. It can throw almost anything it can get its hands on. Cars,small trucks and concrete makes up its range arsenal. Its arms just throw you 30 feet until you hit a solid object. Molotov's are effective but not a weakness. 4 survivors shooting Auto shotguns usually do the trick. That is, if the Horde isn't on you.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Man, didn't take long. Played my first server with cheats. We played as Infected and we'd get LONG spawn times versus their near instantaneous. Then, a boomer vomited on one of them directly and they were infected even after blowing him up. Then, they had one shot kills with pistols. It's sucked, but it was bound to happen.

Sensai

Smash Master
OK, I've figured it out. I present to you, why Smoker's 'suck':

Smokers are absolutely DEPENDANT on Boomers. The idea is that you pull the guy who was vomitted on, allowing zombies to beat his *** as he comes to you. I don't think he's been played right as of yet. Every other class is 'go for the guy who isn't vomitted on' and Smokers are designed to do the opposite.

That being said, they still need a fix.

ALSO, the easy way to take down a tank: throw a molotov on it and wait 40 seconds. Bam. Dead.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW8t...otaku.com/5098490/left-4-dead-goes-after-dark

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
The problem with Boomers? No one uses them right. The trick with a boomer is that everyone it hits, it blinds AND marks. Hunters should WAIT for that and attack the blinded ones, while the smoker grabs another. Now you have two horribly incapacitated people and two people fighting off a massive horde. A++!

Top Bottom