• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
I've been on the Pit boards from time to time, mainly as a lurker trying to pick little tidbits of information up. I finally recorded a small sample of my gameplay and my only request as of yet is to critique my Pit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zlieMSeEA&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50acdRoG1CI&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5w_yFupFmA&fmt=18

I tried to avoid from trying to do anything fancy (such as arrow looping) since I focus far too much on the technique than paying attention to the battle itself (but I do hope to implement everything later on).

Coffee™

I need it....
I've been on the Pit boards from time to time, mainly as a lurker trying to pick little tidbits of information up. I finally recorded a small sample of my gameplay and my only request as of yet is to critique my Pit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_zlieMSeEA&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50acdRoG1CI&fmt=18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5w_yFupFmA&fmt=18

I tried to avoid from trying to do anything fancy (such as arrow looping) since I focus far too much on the technique than paying attention to the battle itself (but I do hope to implement everything later on).
You approach way too much. Pit has a really good projectile, use it more. Force your opponents to come to you and deal with them then. It limits their options and increases yours while racking up damage on them so work on that. Also Fair is good but don't abuse it like how you were as it gets predictable. Work on your mixup game a bit more Jabs, Dairs, Nairs, everything. It also seemed like you were just throwing out attacks instead of really reading your opponent. He liked to spotdodge a lot of your attacks so AR or inf. Jab could have helped you a lot in those situations or grabs which you never seemed to really do either.

Pits thows are good for positioning, especially against Snake so try to work a bit more of those into your game. Good so far, but there is a lot of room for improvement. :)

_Sync_

Smash Apprentice
As of now I should try to use a more diverse array of moves to avoid being predictable, and to force my opponent to come to me, rather than me going for my opponent. (Sorry, just a force of habit for me to recap what I've read to be sure that I've understand the key points).

Thank you R@vyn for your words of wisdom and the additional encouragement. I'll be sure to stop by the Pit boards for more often than I did in the past.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Hmm... I was talked into picking Pit back up, since I stopped using him over half a year ago and haven't really used him since a random pit ditto in friendlies against Kown back in November, but I figured it sounded like a good idea.

Anyways, I don't know all too much about using Pit, and this was my first time using Pit in a long time (with the exception of one pointless fight just looking at the texture hack), so I'll probably need quite a bit of cretiquing.

Anyways, here's a video of one of the only matches I've used him in since a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29XV7Ky3qAw&feature=channel_page

(Also, about all the arrow looping, I was just trying it out since I didn't know how to arrow loop before this match. I guess I just learned quickly, but I get the feeling it isn't that helpful against better players).

I have absolutely no clue where my Pit stands right now, so I'd be curious to find out.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace

Esca

Smash Champion
Hmm... I was talked into picking Pit back up, since I stopped using him over half a year ago and haven't really used him since a random pit ditto in friendlies against Kown back in November, but I figured it sounded like a good idea.

Anyways, I don't know all too much about using Pit, and this was my first time using Pit in a long time (with the exception of one pointless fight just looking at the texture hack), so I'll probably need quite a bit of cretiquing.

Anyways, here's a video of one of the only matches I've used him in since a long time ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29XV7Ky3qAw&feature=channel_page

(Also, about all the arrow looping, I was just trying it out since I didn't know how to arrow loop before this match. I guess I just learned quickly, but I get the feeling it isn't that helpful against better players).

I have absolutely no clue where my Pit stands right now, so I'd be curious to find out.
Firstly, you have to realize that Pit isn't spammy. Pit's entire moveset is required in every match I play. He requires alot of thinking skill, rather than arrow arrow fsmash. Don't need to do that.

Also, your spotdodging too much. This is an ill habit, and you need to work on correcting.

Arrow-looping. Please don't use it until you've learned full arrow use normally. I wouldn't even recommend it in this situation. It's not that useful at all.

Something everyone should work on is saving their kill move. Either fsmash or dsmash for every punishment, because they kill fairly early if you save one.

Esca

Smash Champion
CYVE, In my opinion, firstly, I wouldn't ftilt as much, and I'd grab more.

Also, get more than just one match up. It's hard to judge off a ****ty ROB.

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
CYVE, In my opinion, firstly, I wouldn't ftilt as much, and I'd grab more.

Also, get more than just one match up. It's hard to judge off a ****ty ROB.
I´ll to put some matches against a really good snake player on YT ^^

Wait till tomorrow xD

The Matches against the Snake are more demanding :)

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I never lose 4 matches in a row before however i need some critique please

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H7DXPaspNQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sTgYKirKfY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AeIRmi4PYc

Something i think is interest. Critique on this one as well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I556Q2j2d78
Against that Falco, you were approaching pretty unsafely.

In my opinion, you also shouldn't use so many wingdashes against someone who can either spam the projectile to hit you while your doing it. Wingdashing is only good when you are trying to mess up their spacing with the wind push. You were just using it in the weirdest spots which didn't really help you at all in positioning... Also, work on not ARing when it's not needed, which it usually isn't during most matches. Your AR usually put you in a bad spot.

Same thing with the Zelda match. Most of those wingdashes got you hit rather than prevent damage.

Just try to work on your zoning rather than either going head on at them only to get shielded or spot dodged or trying to just arrow spam. Neither of those options work well against a falco. Also try to make your gameplay less gimmicky. I saw a lot of opportunities where you could have gotten a hit landed instead of doing things like arrow looping and such.

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
Against that Falco, you were approaching pretty unsafely.

In my opinion, you also shouldn't use so many wingdashes against someone who can either spam the projectile to hit you while your doing it. Wingdashing is only good when you are trying to mess up their spacing with the wind push. You were just using it in the weirdest spots which didn't really help you at all in positioning... Also, work on not ARing when it's not needed, which it usually isn't during most matches. Your AR usually put you in a bad spot.

Same thing with the Zelda match. Most of those wingdashes got you hit rather than prevent damage.

Just try to work on your zoning rather than either going head on at them only to get shielded or spot dodged or trying to just arrow spam. Neither of those options work well against a falco. Also try to make your gameplay less gimmicky. I saw a lot of opportunities where you could have gotten a hit landed instead of doing things like arrow looping and such.
i was pretty upset went i was fighting him in those 4 matches however your criticism was very accurate these where some of my worse matches. thanks for the advice

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Lezard I watched ur falco games and id like to critique them.
It seems to me like you have problems killing,u got very predictible and continued to approach with sh nair which got you shieldgrabbed countless times,also your use of woi got predictable as well,you would ALWAYS fair out of it which again,lead you to be shieldgrabbed. Also you need to grab more,pit has followups to every one of his throws.
Just work on predicability because at higher levels of play your gonna get ***** >.<

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
Lezard I watched ur falco games and id like to critique them.
It seems to me like you have problems killing,u got very predictible and continued to approach with sh nair which got you shieldgrabbed countless times,also your use of woi got predictable as well,you would ALWAYS fair out of it which again,lead you to be shieldgrabbed. Also you need to grab more,pit has followups to every one of his throws.
Just work on predicability because at higher levels of play your gonna get ***** >.<
You are so right

i watch your match against falco as well and one thing you should know, is that those two chain grab at beginning of match, Falco can easily spot dodge the second one, obviously he doesn't know how to come out of it yet and you can try running past him and pivot grab sometime because eventually he is going to figure it out

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Thanks ill remember that,but are u sure if I'm buffering the dash he can't spotdodge? Because I play against dehf a lot and he can never get out

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
Thanks ill remember that,but are u sure if I'm buffering the dash he can't spotdodge? Because I play against dehf a lot and he can never get out
honestly, i am not even sure about that, because i use do against Graceful Assassin ever match now cant. i am going to do some testing to make sure

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Oh ok then and if any1 wants to critique me go for it

Cross.

Smash Ace

Yeah Pit gets 1 regrab on the fast fallers(Like falco) as long as you buffer the dash(And hes at 0 or so of course :laugh:). I cant get out of it at all when my friend does it so im sure it works.

Esca

Smash Champion
Cyve, suprisingly, you impress me. :) Your Pit is actually very good. The only thing I'd work on is learning to nair a little less. Mix it up sometimes. Like jump and then just fastfall and grab. It works, really. Also, I wouldn't ftilt unless it's for punishment.

And drough, those videos can't be critiqued. I could demolish a level 9 computer, can my vids be critiqued then?

CYVE

Smash Journeyman
Cyve, suprisingly, you impress me. :) Your Pit is actually very good. The only thing I'd work on is learning to nair a little less. Mix it up sometimes. Like jump and then just fastfall and grab. It works, really. Also, I wouldn't ftilt unless it's for punishment.

And drough, those videos can't be critiqued. I could demolish a level 9 computer, can my vids be critiqued then?
Thank you Esca :)

Soon I´ll post some matches against a TL and an annoying Wario ^^

droughboi

Smash Journeyman

the hell? What does that mean? I'm not even fighting cpu's... Did you even look at those videos.. -.-" ? or are you talking about some other guy? o.o

Esca

Smash Champion
Context clues man.

You said something to the effect of, "I know these weren't the best of opponents" etc...

But your video can't be critiqued off of that man.

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
still shows my play style. and alot of people arent the best opponets. if I read correctly, at the begining of the thread, it says "post vids that show your play style at its best, not ones where you suck" or w/e, something like that (still not my best ones), Thats why I posted these. The only reason I said that, is because I did alot of uneseccary <---(think I spelled that wrong) things. They were my first (and only) vids against someone other than the usual friends that I play with. what's challenging for me could be stupid hard for someone else and vice versa . I dont think you should be able to say what can and can not be critiqued lol. But I do understand what your point is.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
Drough, I think Esca just means that you have to show videos of brawls against people that are challenging to you, or we can't really critque you. Watching your videos I can tell you know how to use Pit, but I can't tell what you really need to work on because your opponents imposed no opposition whatsoever. They were extremely passive; they hardly cared to attack or approach and looked like they were sandbagging.

This isn't to insult, you, of course. Just find a few videos where you think you struggled and post them, since those are the most revealing of what you need to work on.

droughboi

Smash Journeyman
I know what he was saying and I understand what you're saying, but note what I said. I dont have any other vids, and I rarely get to fight anyone offline, so since this is all I have to show, I would appreciate some help regardless of them being what ever difficulty level they are. my play style wont change even if the opponet is easy or hard. I dont have offline vids against better people, and I cant play pit online.

and if you still think you cant critique just because they didnt SEEM hard, then just pretend I didnt say it at all. or just forget about the vids completely, Ill just ask people next time I go to Waba game.

Lazee

Smash Apprentice
Can someone critiqwue my vids from page 7 they're against dehf and hugs

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Me (Pit) Vs. Metaknight (Razor)

My first big tourney vs. the first serious Metaknight player I ever fought. I was intimidated as hell, and though it's not the best match I've ever had, still shows me fighting something... and I think it illustrates my style of play. At GIGaBrawl.

Round 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LkwQBEScm4

Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7wQPGbeptk

Things I've since learned: Arrows are not the answer to everything. I am NOT safe even far away from the stage. DO BETER THINGS FROM THE LEDGE.

Don't think I'm a good enough Pit player to really give any good advice, but I'll have a looksee at the vids above me anyways.

Top Bottom