• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

SSD

Smash Journeyman
IF YOU CANNOT UPLOAD YOUR OWN REPLAYS:
Contact me either by PM here or over AIM(preferred). My aim screenname and email address is "aamssd@gmail.com". We'll simply exchange some codes, and you can send me any replays you have. I will then upload them to youtube for you, WHEN I GET THE CHANCE.

Hey everyone. This thread is here for you to post your videos and have them critiqued by the rest of the Pit community here.

At the bottom of this post, I'll be adding links to videos and the advice given as they are posted - an archive.

----

Please, try to follow these guidelines when posting videos, to keep the thread fairly well organized and simple.

1. Try not to post massive numbers of videos at once - 3 or so at the most, depending on how long they lasted. Out of a large set, post the ones that best represent your style of play - so you aren't getting advice on a match that you played horribly on.

2. wait a few days or so before posting more videos, so you have a chance to implement the advice given to you.

3. Say how detailed you want people to be - general advice on how to improve, or what you should have done at certain points in the match.

4. Remember, if you don't give advice, this thread will be meaningless. Before you post a video, look and see if the last video posted has been critiqued - if not, give them some advice when you post your own. Even if you don't have videos of your own, you can help by giving others advice.

Also: If you do not have recording equipment, you can send me your replays and I can record them and send you the file so you can put it on youtube or whatever.

-----------

Archive:

Charby 1/16/09
video

superglucose 1/15/09
video

DemonicTrilogy 1/15/09
Video 1
video 2

vannuge 1/13/09
video
critique

Maniaclyrasist 1/13/09
video 1
video 2
video 3
video 4
video 5
critique

Byuusan
video 1
video 2
video 3
critique

SSD 1/07/09
video
critique

Corruptfate 1/05/09
video
critique 1 critique 2

Hayang 1/05/09
video
critique 1 critique 2

SSD 1/02/09
video

Nikenick 01/02/09
video 1 video 2 video 3 video 4 video 5
critique

SSD - 12/29/08
video
[URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6183002&postcount=12]critique[/URL]

SSD - 12/14/08
video 1 video 2
[URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6183002&postcount=8]critique 1[/URL] [URL="http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=6183002&postcount=11]critique 2[/URL]

SSD

Smash Journeyman
We already have one of these. Look at the Official Pit Video Thread/Archive -> http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=196834
No, that thread does not seem to have the same goal in mind...i see now major advice given, only a few "good work" or "nice KO" replies tossed around. It just seems to be an archive, which is completely different from this.

I'm not that stupid. I talked about it in the chat earlier and I was told that if I wanted one, I should make one.

Afropony

Smash Lord
People don't send in rate my Pit videos everyday. They come every so often when someone wants their Pit to rated.
Do you want us to critique your Pit?
Sadly I can't at the moment because my internet download for the month has run out :(

SSD

Smash Journeyman
People don't send in rate my Pit videos everyday. They come every so often when someone wants their Pit to rated.
Do you want us to critique your Pit?
Sadly I can't at the moment because my internet download for the month has run out :(
it's for everyone, but you may as well start with me, as I'm the only one who has any here yet.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Yea the Pit boards have actually been extremely dead the last week or so. Idk why tho.

So I watched the match with the Falco. Faceplant less. Either glide attack or tap b out of glide. Don't just fly face first into the ground lol. Also don't MS so much, you got punished for it alot. Don't uair out of hitstun bc it's a long animation. You'll normally get hit. It's also not good to use for DI'ing either. As for the "Needs more Hiyayaya," that's actually true. It's good in this matchup for approaching while reflecting Falco's laser. And you need more bair. It's a strong kill move, as you can see during the first stock.

There's a little help =]

SSD

Smash Journeyman
So I watched the match with the Falco. Faceplant less. Either glide attack or tap b out of glide. Don't just fly face first into the ground lol. Also don't MS so much, you got punished for it alot. Don't uair out of hitstun bc it's a long animation. You'll normally get hit. It's also not good to use for DI'ing either. As for the "Needs more Hiyayaya," that's actually true. It's good in this matchup for approaching while reflecting Falco's laser. And you need more bair. It's a strong kill move, as you can see during the first stock.
thanks.

the bair kill was actually amazingly satisfying, as doom and I were arguing about how effective it is. He said that it's too hard to land to be a reliable kill move.

I'll have to remember the glide thing. I always seem to forget about it in mid-match.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
I watched the diddy kong one. You seemed a bit too conservative and didn't attack much during the first stock, so the first stock was pretty lucky, but after that you revved right up. So, my suggestions are being more aggressive at the beginning to get an early lead, attack out your glide more, and steer clear of diddy's bananas =P

Edit: Just watched the falco one. Thats a tough loss man, that second stock was brutal but you made a good comeback. I think you use your uair and nair in place of where a good bair could get them close to ko, so use that a bit more. Nice job though, getting out of that chaingrab was great.

KY_Des

Smash Ace
Also, work on your edgeguardring. The easiest way would be to just shoot arrows until your opponent is really low, then edgeguard, This'll work on characters with poor recoveries. You can also use Wing Renewal to go off stage and chase your opponents with fairs or bairs. If you manage to hit a bair while off stage, your opponent is likely to die at anything 70% or up. Using a combination of the two is also pretty effective.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
Could anybody rate me please?

These are the Grand Finals of a WiFi tournament

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTgWHIaXHtI&feature=channel_page
Against Olimar, I really hate Olimar :(
I have major problems with fighting good Olimars, any advice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4XWKFv6Eg&feature=channel
Against Ice Climbers, stupid grabs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdVJPuxtc_A&feature=channel
Against Falco, he 2 stocked me here. I really don't know how to fight Falco's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbobQHMSJz0&feature=channel
Against Wario, I 2 stocked him. This was quite easy for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSuUtKiglVA&feature=channel
Last match, against Falco again, I didn't got 2 stocked this time but I still lost.

All should be watched in High quality. It's WiFi and since I live in The Netherlands and the guy I'm fighting lives in America, there was a bit of lag.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikwKa0_irio
intense

Nikenick:
for the olimar match: You should use more grabs, as pit's down throw is pretty good and can lead into other things. Jab is also good. You use dair a bit too much - it's not a good idea to be above olimar, and the move is fairly slow, so you often would land on the ground and suffer the landing lag. Nair works better for getting rid of pikmin latched onto you.

Also, a lot of times you would use Dtilt when he was just out of range - Ftilt, while slower, has much more range.

At about 1:50, you repeated use down smash when forward smash would have been better - it's faster overall and has more knockback.

Several times when he was above you, you fired an arrow upwards when it would have been better to jump up and use your uair.

Also, it's generally a bad idea to roll towards your opponent.

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
Hayang (Pit) vs. PrepareYourself (Ike)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkoc7ukSSG8
Lots of looping and layering. If you wanted to see layering used in a real game against a human try seeing this.

I'm just sorta sharing this one, but if anyone would like to critique it go ahead, since it does reflect my playstyle. Just so you know however PrepU might not have been serious this game and was playing very unorthodox.

Winty if you could give me a higher resolution and higher framerate video that would be very cool. Again if its too much trouble don't worry about it.

Just so I'm not dropping a hello and leaving I'll post critiques of the previous posts soon.

Also Fate please sticky this thread?

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Looks good people are using the thread for what it was build for, keep this up and ill keep it up at the top.

PS ill have a few of mine up here in a few.

Edit: I have more vid up, but Youtube took them down because they were to long, and I am not posting some of the others because they are sets and I use my ROB or Diddy in them. I think this is the only Vid I have up where I use Pit for the whole set so im only posting it right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeakbTMqkh0
PS: Waff says he is sorry for taking so long to pick a stage

I know some things that I shouldn't have done, but I wanta hear what you have to say. Rate/fix me now!!!

Kyuubi9t

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxqi_R_cq_M
Lots of looping and layering. If you wanted to see layering used in a real game against a human try seeing this.

I'm just sorta sharing this one, but if anyone would like to critique it go ahead, since it does reflect my playstyle. Just so you know however PrepU might not have been serious this game and was playing very unorthodox.

Winty if you could give me a higher resolution and higher framerate video that would be very cool. Again if its too much trouble don't worry about it.

Just so I'm not dropping a hello and leaving I'll post critiques of the previous posts soon.

Also Fate please sticky this thread?
Great Pit, i love it. PrepareYourself looks like an excellent Ike as well. Your arrow layers were impressive as were your SH-Nair game. Your short hops are on point in general... keep it up hayang i hope to see more from you soon!

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Okay, here we go.
1:32 either he was messing around or he was still expecting arrows. lolmindgames.
I loved his footstool at 2:00. Sucks that Pit can't meteor cancel.
2:35 lol angel ring. Though I'd advise against rolling towards him like that - he didn't punish but he certainly could have
2:53 I love how Ike perfectly read the spot dodge.
3:29 nice arrows
3:57-4:05 was amazing. Forcing him back to the ledge with arrows and the fair was great, and your (almost) perfect reading of him QDing over you could have ended the match right there.
4:25 was cool.

several times you landed in the lag of a dair. I'm noticing that a lot in Pit videos, even my own. I guess it's a habit we all fall into.

I noticed that - the quality wasn't as good as it usually is with that. I'm uploading another one now - it's a bit...interlaced, but that shouldn't show up on youtube's player.

Looks good people are using the thread for what it was build for, keep this up and ill keep it up at the top.
Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeakbTMqkh0
PS: Waff says he is sorry for taking so long to pick a stage

I know some things that I shouldn't have done, but I wanta hear what you have to say. Rate/fix me now!!!
1:24 ouch
1:52 nice use of the wing effect.
4:14 I like your use of the glide sliding thing.
4:57 YES
5:05 NO
5:45 somehow I knew it would be frigate
7:57 personally, I would have used fsmash there.
8:03 wait...what? That was ****ing awesome.
9:33 lol

Hayang

Smash Journeyman
Critiquing: Fate Vs Waff 2 12/26/08

Overall:
You spend a lot of time in the air, which is good but pit is sort of uncomfortable when he is hovering above an opponent who is waiting eagerly to juggle him. Try replacing your FHs with SHs since pit is very comfortable at SH height and is faster on the ground than in the air.
In general you want to approach from below and not from above. If you find yourself hovering in the air I think you should try and fast fall down so you can get back into action and leave yourself less vulnerable.

Another thing is that pit doesn't have many great options when he's running, so don't run straight into the opponent since pit's dash attack isn't great and run-shield isn't too great either. Instead try jumping about 2-3 pit lengths before reaching the opponent and doing SH nair, FH dair, retreating SH fair, or stopping and waiting for a bad reaction to get a dtilt in.

Dtilt is your very very best friend. I think you might be underestimating pit's dtilt and jab, which come out fast and put pit into good positions, since in situations where they would be useful you tend to spot dodge instead. Examples where dtilt would have been useful include: 0:29, 0:31, 0:43 after he rolls, a lot of places. Dtilt has awesome range and is quick and does not have too much ending lag, and is in a lot of cases better than dsmash and ftilt because its knockback is vertical, and as you very well know, pit loves to have his opponent above him. (unless it's peach or G&W you're facing)

In situations where it looks like you're going to be hit from below don't be afraid to airdodge into the ground and buffer it into attacks or smashes.

Also I notice that while both you and your opponent had habits that could be punished, your opponent caught on more quickly to your tendencies and punished them (like 3:58, 8:18 etc.) while you didn't as much. It is indeed very hard to notice the opponent's tendencies in the heat of battle but try to do it. If you look at your opponent for a full 30 seconds you will notice that he rolls a lot. Use things like this to your advantage and punish him for his predictability.

Wingstall to gain more invincibility frames at the ledge. 9:14

That's what I have to give you. Like I always say with critiques I am a noob and you should take my advice with a grain of salt. And also, in the midst of all this I forget to say: Great pit, Fate. You have a lot of things you are doing right. Good mirror shielding, good edge guarding with bair, and great gimp at 7:17, etc. Keep up the good work!

btw was that a tourney match?

EDIT: thnx winty!

Also I updated my video to sexy quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkoc7ukSSG8

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikwKa0_irio
intense

Nikenick:
for the olimar match: You should use more grabs, as pit's down throw is pretty good and can lead into other things. Jab is also good. You use dair a bit too much - it's not a good idea to be above olimar, and the move is fairly slow, so you often would land on the ground and suffer the landing lag. Nair works better for getting rid of pikmin latched onto you.

Also, a lot of times you would use Dtilt when he was just out of range - Ftilt, while slower, has much more range.

At about 1:50, you repeated use down smash when forward smash would have been better - it's faster overall and has more knockback.

Several times when he was above you, you fired an arrow upwards when it would have been better to jump up and use your uair.

Also, it's generally a bad idea to roll towards your opponent.
Thanks for the advice! I should have grabbed more but it's kinda hard to come close to an Olimar since he has a great ground game. And his grab range is way bigger then Pit's.
I should jab more as well, is it good to jab cancel into grab? I don't like to use nair against small characters, but I guess it's great to get rid of those **** pikmins.
Thanks again!

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
It helps balance it, Gliding is already one of if not the best way to recover from far away. And if Pit could use his WoI, after he uses all his jump then glides he would always come back (not that he doesn't anyway)...at the same time MK can use a few jumps>glide>up B (putting him into a glide) and if you hit him he can up B again.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
It helps balance it, Gliding is already one of if not the best way to recover from far away. And if Pit could use his WoI, after he uses all his jump then glides he would always come back (not that he doesn't anyway)...at the same time MK can use a few jumps>glide>up B (putting him into a glide) and if you hit him he can up B again.
Rather than jump(all but last) -> glide -> jump -> upB? I don't see much of a difference there, though with Pit you'll fall a bit as you activate upB if you don't jump as you do it. And Meta Knight can already glide out of his upB, so it's going to be the same recovery, just with the last jump being used before the glide instead of after.

Eh, I guess I'm just mad about what happened there, as it's happened to me several times, each time resulting in my death.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
Why do people like getting rated, not the it's a bad thing...
ratings are stupid. hur hur you get 2/10 lrn2play.

Which is why this thread isn't about ratings.

Now stop being unproductive, you're spoiling my good mood. watch a replay and throw out some advice, like the rest of the people here are doing.

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPNP9u0craY

why the hell does gliding make you helpless anyway? That's just stupid.
Can't... take.... quality... really it bad

anyway It seems like you don't use enough arrows (in my opinon anyway) If you feel like being called a spammer is presureing you... don't let it, if you cna spam it, go for it, very useful, you also don't use enough Aerial attakcs, you seem very grounded based, and Pit is difinately not a ground character... in my opinon... that what i think of it

While we critize SSD more Critize me too? :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-07H9cS7Lmg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZw6s1VF7LI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUy9iNiJtg&feature=email- best comeback to date.... wait there was 150% last stock vs 0% 2 stock marth lol

These are tournement matches, very recent too
I have 1 more video but.... it more like me screwing with him then actually trying,,, even though it was a tourney match.

Coffee™

I need it....

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
I Like it how you just go ahead and post videos without critizing me , on well, You seem Roll Happy and you don't see to do little aerials in your gameplay, Your awesome at shooting arrows, at least better i am am, but you kinda lack variable in attacks, but that just me, you were also a little predictable.

this is only based on 2 videos though.

Coffee™

I need it....
I Like it how you just go ahead and post videos without critizing me
I'll critique em in this post a bit later lol, I don't have time to now or when I posted those vids cuz I was in class lol, but i'll critique em when I get home.

Edit: Enkou based on what i'm seeing, you seem to neglect Pit's ground game a lot, you say Pit isn't a ground based character but that isn't really true, he has a fair amount of moves that are useful both the ground and the air and you should really aim to take advantage of both. Somethign else to note. Fair isn't that great of an approaching move as its easily shield grabbed, its better used as a retreating aerial. You also seem to need to work on your ledge game a bit. Both recovering from the edge and attacking from it.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tVagOX...e=channel_page
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2PmU49...eature=channel
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=CLl3u7...eature=channel
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8ytzQkaX0t8&feature=channel_page

These are just some replays of my fights with a friend. There are two wins and two losses. I guess it's obvious I'm trying to practice a few ATs. Any advice would be appreciated though. Thanks!
The first 3 links are broken. Next time, just go the video page, then copy the link and paste it here, delete the & sign and everything after it, then post.

I'll critique the last one.

You are definitely trying out techniques, at some of the worst times. He beings the match by throwing out a PSI magnet(an amateur mistake, shield is best for dealing with an arrow opening) leaving himself vulnerable. You take advantage of this by...shooting an arrow upward. You had a perfect chance to grab him, or start your AA[A] combo. But you shoot an arrow upwards. Good job with the Angel ring, but it's a bit late.

It's hardly ever a good idea to roll towards your opponent, especially as much as you did. He punished you for it.

You're randomly activating WoI above the stage when he is right next to you. I don't recommend that, it's rather dangerous.

I'd also advise that you attack right before hitting the ground out of a glide, as it will end with you on your feet in a neutral stance, sometimes sliding a bit. In my time playing Pit, faceplanting has only had one use - the game seems to read you as impossibly close to the ground - close enough that a fully charged shot from Samus will pass harmlessly over you. Don't try to copy that, though, it's not worth it when you can land and pull out a reflector.

When attacking lucas offstage when he uses PK thunder, don't attack lucas - attack the PK thunder itself. If you the ball with an attack, it'll cancel out and Lucas will fall to his death, completely helpless. You can snipe it with an arrow if you're good enough.

chaosscizzors

Smash Journeyman
(i'm getting tired of making these posts lol)

i like pit allot, but, i need some advice if i'm going to get better. i can't post my replay on youtube cause i don't have anything i can use to record it, i just have the replay. so i was hoping i could get someone to look at it and tear my playstyle apart.

my friend is not good, but, he's all i got atm. at least his fox is improving lol.

SSD

Smash Journeyman
(i'm getting tired of making these posts lol)

i like pit allot, but, i need some advice if i'm going to get better. i can't post my replay on youtube cause i don't have anything i can use to record it, i just have the replay. so i was hoping i could get someone to look at it and tear my playstyle apart.

my friend is not good, but, he's all i got atm. at least his fox is improving lol.

You can always send them to me, and I can upload them for you. Just contact me over AIM if you have it, or just PM me. In fact, I'll add this to the opening post.

Top Bottom