• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Learn how to earn your wings! A pit video critique thread :)

sagemoon

Smash Lord
use grabs more often.
use shield more often. also keep moving, use shield dashing to position yourself better on the stage.
Use jabs or grabs when jiggs is close to you, f-smash seems to work like 25% of the time on jiggs because of how floaty he is.
I'm not too big of a fan of AR, but when you use it, dont keep it out that long.

You didnt play THAT bad. You just forgot how to defend yourself, if jiggly is charging b, dont try to shoot arrows, just get up on a platform or ledge so you cant get hit, THEN shoot arrows. You gotta choose your fights wisely. Focus on your position on the stage as well as your opponents, know your strengths and weaknesses

Afropony

Smash Lord
Grrr, I watched the 2nd video when you played the Mk all he did at the start was tornado spam!

you seemed to handle it fairly well although it would've been nice to see you mirror shield him off the edge.
Also you should be careful about how often you spotdodge because there were times where you just spotdodged and the MK would just wait for it to end and then punish you.

Valuno

Smash Apprentice
Against the Ice Climbers you definitely spammed Angel Ring lol.... While Angel Ring is very useful against ICs it's very punishable if they catch on. You also used the jab infinite too much on them as well, you didn't really use many arrows or aerials either, but you sticked to Pit's ground game. They worked, but they would probably get you punished sooner or later.

You were really risky against MK offstage, and you still used angel ring fairly predictably in the beginning. Nice overall play in this match though.

Again, you played very well against Wario, you just had a lot of trouble getting kills in x_x

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
This are some matches of this past weekend in Naples, FL...

Please let me know how can i improve my game, i take suggestions..

enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa9fxz_oAfU&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kur6bWBce8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YIuPi5acKc
Ok, for the Ice Climber match, more retreating dair strings. Though jab and AR are very good against grabby opponents, they are still very punishable if they can be predicted. Add more nairs too and don't spotdodge, they can grab you afterwards.

Try to be more cautious against an MK and space well. If you don't, he can rush into you quite quickly.

Third match, too much arrow spamming. If you see the guy approaching you aerially, DON'T SPAM. They guy will get into your arrow blind spot in your 10 o clock or 2 o clock position and punish you severely. You also spammed arrows during opportunities where you could have done offstage edgeguarding. Work on this.

Another thinng in the third match, don't spam aerials even when you are landing, the landing lag from them will kill you and leave you open for punishment. Unless you are very sure that it is going to hit, don't do landing aerials. They don't work.

When that wario was at higher percents during that his first life, you got too greedy for the kill and was forward smashing every other attack. That's too predictable and easy to punish with warrio since he has all that air speed to just float outside your range and then go in for the kill. Also, don't try shieldgrabbing.

Work on knowing when to spotdodge. Your spotdodge got you open for the wario to grab you and things so many times.

Most of the times you were too campy on the ground. Use more of your aerial movement so that wario can't just retreat after an aerial while your still in shield stun.

Try to work on those things.

Cha0tic NiGhTmArE

Smash Journeyman
Lakeway(at least 30 minuites from anywhere), TX

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
I would give you a 5 out 5 however i would rate out of 10 because the is still something lacking maybe it has to do with the poeple who your fighting with

Blackvolution

Smash Rookie
Not bad, even though you played against CPUS, you did a good job (Unfortunately he ****ed me up with combos like these in his videos xD). If you'd out a video online playing against me and comboing me, you'd get more attention :D

Blackvolution

PS: If my english is crappy, It's not my native language :D

Valuno

Smash Apprentice
because of the fact that noone answers my theard in general videos, i decided to upload it here again^^:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqLAKAwZ3ik&feature=channel_page

pls tipps and critic^^
At 0:13 there was really not too much of a reason to wingdash, seeing as how your opponent wasn't at high enough percents to kill him with a dsmash.

0:22 gliding is ok, but you shouldn't have committed with a glide attack, it left you vulnerable offstage, should've canceled it onstage preferably.

0:31 the WoI into edgehog was cool, but at a short distance it's better to just speedhog.

Other than that, it seems you tend to spam fsmash a bit to rack up damage. At the end you sort of got lucky and managed to kill the TL at the edge with a dsmash, but with proper DI the TL would've survived most likely.

You tend to not use Pit's aerial game at all, and use Pit's ground game instead. When you were offstage in the beginning it did not look like you had very good aerial control. Try to work on your air game.

The airdodges into fsmash were fairly decent though.

I saw a couple of unnecessary dodges here and there, try to cut down on those a bit too.
You probably just need to play a bit more with pit to get a better handle on him.

These are just my opinions/critique on that one vid, so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt lol. ^_^

Ha2On

Smash Apprentice
At 0:13 there was really not too much of a reason to wingdash, seeing as how your opponent wasn't at high enough percents to kill him with a dsmash.

0:22 gliding is ok, but you shouldn't have committed with a glide attack, it left you vulnerable offstage, should've canceled it onstage preferably.

0:31 the WoI into edgehog was cool, but at a short distance it's better to just speedhog.

Other than that, it seems you tend to spam fsmash a bit to rack up damage. At the end you sort of got lucky and managed to kill the TL at the edge with a dsmash, but with proper DI the TL would've survived most likely.

You tend to not use Pit's aerial game at all, and use Pit's ground game instead. When you were offstage in the beginning it did not look like you had very good aerial control. Try to work on your air game.

The airdodges into fsmash were fairly decent though.

I saw a couple of unnecessary dodges here and there, try to cut down on those a bit too.
You probably just need to play a bit more with pit to get a better handle on him.

These are just my opinions/critique on that one vid, so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt lol. ^_^

thank you so much, that was exactly what i wanted to hear^^

with the arials: i know that i used them to less in this match, but i don't have very much footage and just wanted to upload one as fast as possible^^

the WOI: edgehog thing --> ;)^^

NinjaMeepit

Smash Rookie

Ha2On

Smash Apprentice
don't use your mirror shield every time if you think you opponent is going to shoot a projectile--> use a cancelled WoI instead
you have to be carefully with WoI--> fast fall--> arial//using the arial too early is better than too late, because of the huge lag you have if you do the arial too late
if you hit the first hit of the aaa thing, try to use d-tilt/smash or forward smash after it
if you get thrown up in the air, for example through falco´s side b, don´t use your n-air to get refreshed from the hit// use f/b-air instead
especially against falco: use your arrows out of a short or full jump, so it is harder to hit you with his laser// btw. if you shoot your arrow out of a jump you have to change his direction, so if falco is using his reflector you don' get the arrow back on you
try to use your n-air not that often//sometimes it is good, and against huge opponents like dedede it is good to spam^^or against spammers its good
try to use the normal aaa combo too
try to use the fast fall glide attack only from high points, or sometimes as a mindgame
especially against mario: if he spams his b, use your nair to get through his wall too
if you opponent is over the edge use shorthop-->WoI-->thoutch the ground-->haunt your opponent more often
be carefully with arials before you hit the ground-->there is really a huge lag

overall a good pit

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, i guess i have a good pit and i dont use normal aaa combo because it slow down the pace of the match i like to be aggressive

Ha2On

Smash Apprentice
you are the number one wingdasher-->^^

äh, well, why should i rate wingdashing, you are able to do it, and use it at the right moment^^. in my opinion there is not much more to say

Ha2On

Smash Apprentice
and a friendly thanks back, because of the fact that you appreciate my crtism^^

you are almost the first one, who respects my opinion^^, but i think, this could be, because i just know how to play the game, and not whats already discoverd...

however, your welcome

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
and a friendly thanks back, because of the fact that you appreciate my crtism^^

you are almost the first one, who respects my opinion^^, but i think, this could be, because i just know how to play the game, and not whats already discoverd...

however, your welcome
You have a good point because i know many who play the game and know every discovery yet they cant play the game well and i think its bitter to know how to play the game first rather than knowing whats already discoverd, thubs up to that

Sniper X

Smash Cadet
Personally, its better if you know the AT and can actually use them. Basically, play a lot to get the handle of the controls before you start trying to use techs and you'll be a good player. When i first started button mashing was my favorite tech. Now I've actually learned how to dodge certain things and what to do in certain situations and what not to do. You need a balance of both.

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
Personally, its better if you know the AT and can actually use them. Basically, play a lot to get the handle of the controls before you start trying to use techs and you'll be a good player. When i first started button mashing was my favorite tech. Now I've actually learned how to dodge certain things and what to do in certain situations and what not to do. You need a balance of both.
I remeber reading the a book by Gary Zukav, The Dancing Wu Li Master, he was talking about master and student, he said that a ture master dont teach his student untill they discover a purpose. for instance he wouldn't teach his student about gravity untill they wonder in awe and ask themself why is it that if i drop two diffrent object of diffrent size they reach the ground at the sametime this way the master doesn't brake dont the concept in A,B,C etc, instead the master start from the center, the heart...blah..blah blah

However the relation is, mastering the basic is essential so one can see the purpose for advance technique, that happen went you see an ATand you instantly understand how to applied it with just little or no practice contrary to people who practice the same AT over and over againt untill they forgot about the basics

Smash become your master and you learn even thought it doesn't teach

Ha2On

Smash Apprentice
books are always right^^

almost everything i've lernd was by playing against computers, and a little against my friends^^, the techniques are copied form sagemoon^^

Lezard

Smash Journeyman
Very soon my next wingdash vid will be ready so watch out people
WingDash Evolution:)!

Top Bottom