• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Hey everyone. I'll probably be disappearing from here as I don't play competitively and can't really do much. ^^;;

This is Tery, if you didn't know.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
NOOOOOO Tery don't leave!

Tery's still mad Scabe insulted his Korean girl, haha.

Haha, it's not like all we talk about is competitive Brawl, though. Heck, Ryos just posted pictures of those cool little Ivysaur keychains. It's not like we're super tournament active either, haha.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I probably will lurk instead of post much.

If I get into competitive Smash next year I'll probably come back.
Speaking of which, I got accepted into college a week ago. :D

Rizen

Smash Legend
NOOOOOO Tery don't leave!
@ Huggles:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxU9xb8iqLs

Whoa, freaky Peach texture. You space too close but peach didn't exploit that with her speed. A lot of your quick attacks could have been shielded. Some peachs will punish back and forth spacing, especially rolls. That Peach attacked on the ground a lot but better ones will combo Link to h*** so more mid-rang camping would be good. Peach didn't exploit Link's blind spot, over his jab and in front, but that sets up annoying combos for her that Link has trouble defending against that close. Good bombs, try to mix up the Dthrows>FF Nair/Fair with bomb drops, attack catches, double jump options- like pulling another bomb, and so on.
Good Link.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I don't even play brawl competitively. Besides who else is going to talk pokemon here, if not you?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Noooo, the SWF Link boards are dying a slow death. I blame Scabe for not being very active anymore; haha, whatever are we to do without our fearless leader?

And thanks for the critiques guys. I had a bit of trouble spacing him on the first match since he played so differently from what I was expecting at first; a lot of foxtrots and rolls on his part and he tended to float at heights I wasn't expecting based on my previous experiences with Peaches. I think I did better spacing him the second match, and I think the level helped me out too (more places to run). One thing I have noticed is I fish a lot for bombstools/bomblocks; this leaves my spacing wrecked if I miss as I land right next to my opponent, and as people play me I think they start realizing what I'm up to and watch out more for my bombstool attempts.

I think I've gotten a lot better with projectiles recently; I've been trying to work them into setups and just use them more in general, whereas before I'd just hurl them at people and try to rack up damage or hope they did something stupid and then go in with zair and sword attacks. I think I can use more work in that department, but I can see a difference (lol in match 2 bombs were so stale they did 3 damage) and it helped in the tournament.

I'm already itching to go to another tourney and try again and get some more experience against top notch players, haha. I think I'm at the point I need to start playing good people and just learning to play smarter in general since I don't think there are a lot of techniques left to learn, just the reverse DACIT.

/competitive Link stuff

OK, it can be pokeymanz tiem nao

I got right up to Gary Oak in my Nuzlocke run several months ago and then I got bored and haven't touched it since, haha. Although, now that I think about it, that might have been right around when I bought Golden Sun Dark Dawn.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Speaking of Pokemon. Anyone going to get the Black version? I'm going to pick up white and all of my friends that are getting the new gen are also getting white. Which is irritating. I would get Black, but all of the pokemon i like are in white, and there's a pretty good chance that no one will trade me the version exclusive pokemon anyway since I'm still missing 1 pokemon from SS that 4 of my friends have but havent bothered to catch...

Anyway, anyone up for some dittos or just some wifi friendlies?

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ We like to have you around. Any non-trolling activity is good for the forums, even if it's not smashbros.

I'm a competitive wifi player hahaha (:urg:).
Zelda's spacing feels easy to me but I can't play most mid and high tiers well. I'm meant to play low tiers:c.
After trying other characters, taking a break, and going back to Link I'm still tired of Brawl. On the ladder I get tons of 'loss, comment: good/great Link', it's like treading quicksand to keep ahead and sharp with Link and other characters aren't nearly as fun:urg:. I tried Falco and was terrible but everything felt much easier. So I'm taking another break and will post less. Keeping the boards alive is important so I'll check them on a semi regular basis.
Keep up the good work and Link rep!

Abel1994

Smash Lord
How do you link's feel when your out of stage and your like out of your recovery range? Doesnt it just depress you how you r recovery sucks?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Link's ledgesnap range is huge, so you get that "is he gonna make it" feeling a lot, haha. Or at least, I get my opponent all excited about gimping me and then getting mad because I somehow made it back, haha. Link also tends to float there a second before the last hit of his upB, making it hard to edgeguard.

Honestly, when I get gimped, I blame myself more than anything. If Link gets gimped, usually you DI'd wrong, did something stupid like waste your double jump, or you're going up against Meta Knight so it doesn't matter, haha. Link should almost always be able to make it back if you DI right.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah i usually make it back with Link. Only time i don't is because of bad DI or being gimped by a good read.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I find peach pretty deadly. At least compared to like Snake. I also find Lucario a little high, i never really have problems with Lucario. And Yoshi is too high as well. I've played really good Yoshi players and i never felt super threatened by them. But then again it just might be the way i play.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I disagree with Peach.
Yep. That's what I thought. Peach is NOT worse than Olimar or Pikachu. Peach should be -2; she's bad but she's not one of our 5 worst matchups.

Sheik/Sheilda/Zeik/whatever you want to call her should be -3, or at least -2; that's nowhere near almost even. G&W should be -2 too, that's not near even either. Yoshi, Sonic, and Lucas I'd put at -1. Personally I don't think Wario is a bad MU at all for us either but I think I just do well at it for whatever reason.

Looking at those matchups (although I figure a good number of them are wrong for other characters too, haha), I'm not sure why Jiggz is above us. Personally, I've thought for a while we should be tied at 5th from bottom with Captain Falcon with, Samus above us and Jiggz underneath us. Although I suppose Link doesn't really have any tourney results, but then again, what low tiers do?

I wonder who represented Link when making this list? Crow? Kirin? Legan's not a BBR member, is he?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I dont find Pikachu a terrible match up. Thunder shock/jolts/whatever, are he only really annoying thing about Pika. If they dont make really good use of the mobility from quick attack to be hard to predict, Pika isnt that much of a threat imo. You can DI out of Dsmash, Fsmash is really slow, and Usmash is pretty weak. Thunder (and Nair?) is really the only threatening kill move for Pika. As for chain grabs, i guess Fthrow chains, im not sure, but i was able to jump out of Dthrow at a pretty early percent.

What actually makes Pika a bad match up for Link?

I find Diddy much harder than Fox, but then again i tend to play a grounded Link. And when i play against Marths I feel like its close to even.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I don't think Pikachu is awful for Link either, but he's not good. My point was he's worse than Peach imo. The shockrat is small and fast, and Link has trouble with smaller faster characters in general. At low percents, Pikachu can CG Link. Not sure what to, but it's still free damage. Utilt and Usmash are powerful when you factor in Pikachu can punish your momentum cancel if you don't DI sideways enough, putting you in a checkmate situation. Nair is an excellent killing move for him at higher percents. He can gimp Link pretty well. In a tourney setting, he can probably counterpick some nasty stages like Rainbow Cruise on Link too.

I actually don't mind Diddy too much. I love playing as Diddy for fun and messing around with bonanaz, so I kinda enjoy getting in a bonanaz war with Diddy; I just think it's fun. I always accidentally try to glide toss other peoples' projectiles though, especially if I play them occasionally, like Peach, Wario, and Diddy, which doesn't work out too well, haha. I'll probably be getting lots of Diddy experience if I keep going to tournaments; Player-1 and Big Lou both main Diddy now and Georgia is probably going to be my "home" region.

Marth isn't awful. Kirin thinks it's 45-55 iirc. Fox is pretty bad though. He's just too fast to handle, can outcamp us thanks to that reflector and his speed, and can kill us vertically really well too.

Wow, lots of tactical discussion recently. I hope I'm not saying anything stupid, haha.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Idk that chart thing has a lot of weird choices. But then again i was never a fan of BBR. How is PS1 more legal then PS2?!!!!

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I wasn't asked about Link, so I only worked on Lucario's sorry guys.

I would had hardcored disagreed with Peach and some others.

Also since I'm done working on that, it's time to make a thread for the Intro to Link video project soon.

^_^

Scabe

Successful Businessman

:link2:
-4: :falco:
-3: :metaknight: :dedede: :fox: :peach:
-2: :snake: :diddy: :wario: :marth: :popo: :olimar: :pikachu2: :lucario: :zerosuitsamus: :toonlink: :kirby2: :pit: :dk2: :luigi2: :wolf: :sonic: :ike: :yoshi2: :lucas:
-1: :gw: :rob: :sheilda: :sheik: :ness2: :pt: :mario2: :samus2: :jigglypuff:
0: :bowser2: :falcon:
1: :zelda: :ganondorf:

I reckon Peach is like a -1.
Sheik like a -2 or -3
Ike a -1/0
ZSS -1
Luigi 0 (never really played a good one though)
Lucas 0
I think MK should be a -4 LOL, I hate that matchup the most.

But yeah, this is all just my noob opinion. Anyways, changing my avatar back. :cool:

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
The only thing I posted in relevance to the BBR MU stuff is thanking them for the serious work and effort put into that.
*Looks at Link*

*Sees Peach at -3, G&W at -1, Sheik at -1, Zelda/Sheik at -1*
ಠ_ಠ
Sheik pwns Link hardcore. That's definitely a -3. Peach is nowhere near as bad as some of the characters listed as -2, such as Olimar or Pikachu. G&W is heavily in his favor, -2 at least. There are a few in -2 I'd move to -1 or -3 too, although most I can at least see an argument for.
/generic rage about my character's MU inaccuracies.

Nice work BBR. Obviously, a first release like this is likely going to have people get mad and disagree, and I'm sure it's a bit inaccurate, but I'm sure it took a lot of hard work on y'all's part. Keep at it and I'm sure this will be looking good in no time!
Yep. I tried to be nice too, haha. It takes a lot of work to make something like that. That said, there's no way it's going to be completely accurate at first. Some of the BBR'ers said themselves they were hoping it'd be pretty accurate by the time version 3 or so came out.
We'll see, haha.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352

-3: :metaknight: :dedede: :fox: :peach:
-2: :snake: :diddy: :wario: :marth: :popo: :olimar: :pikachu2: :lucario: :zerosuitsamus: :toonlink: :kirby2: :pit: :dk2: :luigi2: :wolf: :sonic: :ike: :yoshi2: :lucas:
-1: :gw: :rob: :sheilda: :sheik: :ness2: :pt: :mario2: :samus2: :jigglypuff:
0: :bowser2: :falcon:
1: :zelda: :ganondorf:

I reckon Peach is like a -1.
Sheik like a -2 or -3
Ike a -1/0
ZSS -1
Luigi 0 (never really played a good one though)
Lucas 0
I think MK should be a -4 LOL, I hate that matchup the most.

But yeah, this is all just my noob opinion. Anyways, changing my avatar back. :cool:
Actually there is nothing Noob about it Huggles, if you can logically back-up your opinions it's never a nob opinion, noob opinions are ones that can be easily disproven, "Ganondorf has a 100:0 over Link because I beat my friend all the time" is an example of a noob opinion. Saying that Link does, "well or bad because of, etc. etc. etc." is good reasoning.

Peach should move down in level of hardness, -3 is a joke.

Mk I dunno -3/-4 is about right.

ZSS is a -1, that is probably his best high tier match-up, not top tier though.

Sheik is a -1...why? She wrecks Link, if anything she should trade places with Peach.

Yoshi and Lucas are -2...why? Yoshi is a -1 and only because he has a CG on Link, Lucas is kinda evenish actually, simular to Ness.

I think Jiggs is even personally.

~

Just my thoughts.

Also vids are awesome, I watch Freddie's channel from time to time.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Actually there is nothing Noob about it Huggles,
Haha, my bad, I guess I wasn't clear on what I meant. What I meant was Scabe always says he's such a bad player when he's not. I'm not saying anything he's stating about the matchups is complaining. Honestly I agree with what you and Scabe are saying matchup-wise.

I think the big problem is there's not quite enough range on the scale, making it difficult to place, i.e. It's in Yoshi's favor but not by a lot. Maybe it's worse than -1, but it's not much worse. It's not as hard as most -2's, especially when matchups in the IC, Olimar, and Pikachu range of difficulty are considered -2. I think a scale from 5 to -5 might have been a bit clearer.

Here we go. My opinion.
-3: :metaknight: :dedede: :fox: :sheilda: :sheik:
-2: :snake: :diddy: :marth: :popo::kirby2: :olimar: :pikachu2: :gw: :lucario: :zerosuitsamus: :pit: :dk2: :luigi2: :wolf: :ike: :peach: :mario2:
-1: :rob: :pt: :samus2: :wario: :sonic: :yoshi2: :toonlink:
0: :ness2: :lucas: :falcon: :jigglypuff: :zelda:
1: :bowser2::ganondorf:

No matter how you slice it it's kinda depressing, haha. So many negative matches.

Cant Link reliably go from grab release to Dsmash on Lucas?
Yes. Plus Link has a lot of options against Lucas anyway. This should be even in my opinion.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
IMO i would move mario, luigi, ike, marth, and lucario down to -1. And PT move to neutral. Possibly move Sonic up to -2 just because Sonic irritates the crap out of me the with his constant running around.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, this is why I think a 5 to -5 scale would work better; even, near-even, advantage, soft counter, hard counter, nigh unwinnable.

Except for Sonic and PT I agree though (Sonic's not too bad if you avoid getting gimped, PT would be even but they're likely to skip over Ivysaur which is kinda the reason it's not even; Squirtle beats up Link and Charizard goes about even with him); they're not really as hard as other -2s, but I think they're kinda difficult for a -1. I think a lot of the characters kinda fall in that category for Link; a -1.5 if you will (or a -2 on a 5 to -5 scale).

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Uhh as a PT player myself. I have to say Ivy is the best of the 3 and i would never skip over Ivy. I actually played a few other PT that start with Ivy just as i do. Ivy is too good to skip over. I think the only time PT players change Pokemon is if they are fatigued, or if they dont know how to use the Pokemon well, or i guess if the pokemon is at a serious disadvantage. I dont see Ivy being at a terrible disadvantage to Link. Once Ivy gets in range of Link, you could end up with like 30% or more just from bullet seed. Sure Ivy could fall from a simple edge hog, but then again Ivy could easily do the same thing by hanging to low for Link to safely hit and recover.

IYM!

Smash Lord
hey guys i have a grammar question

"gonna" is another form to talk about the future.

my question is

the corret form to write that is "I Gonna" or I am Gonna" ?

sorry do this class of questions, but i cant find an aswere in other part :p

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
It would be "I am gonna."

"Gonna" is slang for "going to."

So "I am going to place first with Link at my next tournament" is the same as "I am gonna place first with Link at my next tournament." :awesome:

Beat11

Smash Apprentice
Ivysaur, from my knowledge, is supposed to be the pokemon that relies on range while sqiurtle relies on speed and charizard on power. Link destroys any ranged spacing besides MK and Marth which forces opponents to go agressive. From what i heard, Ivysaur isn't a very stellar CQC fighter. Bullet seed reqiures him to be almost right on Link to execute +it is SDIable to jump out of it. Ivysaur can edgehog Link like you said but Link can do it much easier vice versa. We may have overexaggerated by putting it severly in Link's advantage but Link definately has a very solid advantage. Squirtle is the worst.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Link doesn't destroy anyone lol. Maybe Bowser and Ganon but that's it. As far as CQC with Ivy. Nair, Bair, Jabs, Dtilt, Ftilt, and Utilt are all rather close range and fast. Yes you can DI out of Bullet seed, but it still does like 20-30% damage without really good SDI on the first hit if hit by the puff that launches Link. If Ivy deliberately misses that first hit and landed on Link he could do a lot more damage and is much harder to DI out of. A common combo would be like Nair to Bullet seed.

Either way i play Ivy as a close range fighter with Razor Leaf approach. Link be able to spam better, but like all of Link's match ups, shield dashing can allow any character to approach Link. Link may have an small advantage, but there's no reason to skip Ivy.

Top Bottom