• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
So I was studying, and had a highlighter in one hand and a Butterfinger and the highlighter cap in the other. I highlighted something and then tried to eat the highlighter cap and put the Butterfinger on the highlighter. Smooth.

...I think I'm starting to go insane.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Breloom stuff.
But why use Agility when you can just Baton Pass Speed Boost+Substitute from Ninjask.

So I was studying, and had a highlighter in one hand and a Butterfinger and the highlighter cap in the other. I highlighted something and then tried to eat the highlighter cap and put the Butterfinger on the highlighter. Smooth.

...I think I'm starting to go insane.
Hey at least no one will lay a finger on your Butterfinger now.
I lol'd.

But...I do.... :sadeyes:
<3 Red Ryu.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Nah, you're mainned Link for a while.

Link would go up 2 ranks if Link mains could get some sleep. Lol @ post times.
Haha, messed up sleep schedule is the story of my life. I get on a good sleep schedule of going to bed at midnight and waking up at 7, then throw it out the window pulling a couple all-nighters in a row, then get used to waking up at 4 pm and going to bed at 4 am after recovering from the all-nighters. I can't wait to be done with pharmacy school. I'm gonna normal sleep schedule it up SO HARD.

And don't worry about those tier placings, I got it covered. I have a big tourney I'm going to in Georgia on the 19th. Gonna beat up Big Lou (lawllawlol) and earn Link some respect.

Also, haha, I think Link's finally surpassed Captain Falcon as my main for the longest time. Seriously, after kinda playing everyone from Wario to Sonic to Peach to Ganon for the first year of Brawl, I switched to Captain Falcon. I've been maining Link for about 15 months now I think. YAAAAY. (I need sleep. Badly)

Rizen

Smash Legend
^ Good luck, Huggles!

Life would be easier if I didn't have to sleep. Insomnia really sucks, I know what you mean.

--------------
Learning other characters is hard :urg:. I keep switching back to Link since I've played him almost exclusively in all 3 SSBs and he's in another league than my secondaries.
My: G&W is ok but lacks MU exp, PT is a little better than G&W but a worse character, Zelda's a noob, and Ike's a scrub.
Except G&W, who I choose as a high ranked second specifically, I'm learning my secondaries to better understand them and the game.
Right now I have no reason to use anyone but Link in serious Brawls.

I love his style, why'd Link have to be so laggy:cry:?

Ryos4

Smash Lord
His lagginess doesnt really bother me too much. Only thing that are really laggy for Link is his smashes, Dair, Uair, and Grab. Everything else has moderate speed for the amount of area coverage they have. At least he has more options then Ike does in terms of lagless attacks.

Rizen

Smash Legend
At least he has more options then Ike does in terms of lagless attacks.
Link needs better sideways air speed and OoS. He's so easy to shield and counter:(. I'd add jabs, boomerang, and arrows to the too laggy list.
There's a lot of was Link could be improved. My favorite is 'hold attack with a bomb drawn (like bombFsmashes) but be able to preform any non-bomb related action with the bomb in hand. Release attack to normally throw the bomb.' That'd show ICs who's boss:glare:.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Arrows are not laggy. Jabs are fast enough for how much range they have, Rang may not come out super fast but it is still fast enough if you use it in an approaching or retreating SH. You just have to know how to use the attacks properly, and he wont feel as slow.

Granted his airspeed is rather slow, but hes got super good momentum canceling and DI. Fair trade off imo. Lots of characters have terrible OoS.

I dont think giving Link the ability to hold a bomb and still normally attack is a good idea. That would make all characters with items way more dangerous. Could you imagine Diddy being able to carry a banana while doing other stuff, ZSS holding on to a piece of armor for the whole match, and peach/snake would be way more dangerous. I think that sort of change in game play would hurt Link more then help him.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Arrows are not laggy. Jabs are fast enough for how much range they have, Rang may not come out super fast but it is still fast enough if you use it in an approaching or retreating SH. You just have to know how to use the attacks properly, and he wont feel as slow.

Granted his airspeed is rather slow, but hes got super good momentum canceling and DI. Fair trade off imo. Lots of characters have terrible OoS.
The problem is Link has no reliable options for close combat or OoS because everything is so slow. Ike has a 2 frame jab. Mario's B up is great OoS. Bowser's upB OoS is ridiculous. Link's grab being so slow and ridiculously laggy really hurts him. If Link has to use jabs as a GTFO move, the opponent can shield and punish between jab 1 and jab 2. Arrows are laggy but if used in the air or landing cancelled it's not too bad, but they don't cause a lot of hitstun which hurts their usefulness (not saying they're not useful though). If Link spaces properly the lag shouldn't bother him too much (heck, look at Legan. He makes Link look fast and is so smart he rarely gets caught in bad spacing), but when they get inside your spacing that's when it really bites Link because his fastest move is 7 frames (6 in the air) and his fastest move OoS is UpB, which is like 11 frames or something awful. Most characters have SOMETHING they can do in close combat or need to get in to close combat anyway to do things; Link struggles in that area.

Link has enough to put up a fighting chance against most characters but he has flaws that certain characters can expose and exploit to get a big advantage, like being small and fast or chaingrabbing him or being able to force him to approach (like Falco and his ridiculous reflector).

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Whoo, hopefully I'll be playing some serious Brawl tomorrow. Also, I'll get some old replays of my friends Wii back when I was good and training up for Robocop.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I dont think giving Link the ability to hold a bomb and still normally attack is a good idea. That would make all characters with items way more dangerous. Could you imagine Diddy being able to carry a banana while doing other stuff, ZSS holding on to a piece of armor for the whole match, and peach/snake would be way more dangerous. I think that sort of change in game play would hurt Link more then help him.
Only Link should be able to do this. This one change would *maybe* make Link a competitive character because bombs wouldn't be limiting. Maybe only Link's bombs would have these properties. PS/Spot dodging explosions would be great.
The problem is Link has no reliable options for close combat or OoS because everything is so slow. Ike has a 2 frame jab. Mario's B up is great OoS. Bowser's upB OoS is ridiculous. Link's grab being so slow and ridiculously laggy really hurts him. If Link has to use jabs as a GTFO move, the opponent can shield and punish between jab 1 and jab 2. Arrows are laggy but if used in the air or landing cancelled it's not too bad, but they don't cause a lot of hitstun which hurts their usefulness (not saying they're not useful though).
I agree, a bad grab/throw options+bad OoS/no GTFO+fast falling combo/CG magnet+short recovery= easily exploitable character who is good but looses to cheap and easy tactics.:urg:

Link's melee boomerang was faster, they should have kept that speed:glare:.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
If holding onto a bomb would be a Link only ability. Then there would have to be some sort of bad side effect. Having only 1 free hand would really limit your combat ability. Link would have to either not be able to throw as well, because he would have to keep his sword in his dominate hand, or throw well and not being able to use his sword to its highest potential. But then again Link being a lefty, and lefty's have a good chance of being ambidextrous, it may actually be possible. Though i don't remember there being any evidence that he was ambidextrous. With all that aside, how would you even program that into the game without having to worry about transitioning between sword attacks and bomb throw?

A faster projectile doesn't automatically make it a better one. Faster projectiles (Pits arrows) are easier to spot dodge and air dodge, and slower projectiles (Mario's Fireballs) are harder to dodge. Moving slow also has its advantages of better combo potential, by giving you more time to set up a follow up attack. Which is why it's sometimes better to drop a bomb than it is to Dthrow one. Even though dropped bombs are really slow.

The only thing i really would like to be faster is Link's Rang catch animation, or to have it not exist at all.

Random tangent:
So anyone here really like BF or is it just me? I usually do a lot better on BF than any other stage, including his "advantageous" ones. There are so many good things about it and almost nothing bad. That is unless your one of those guys who likes to run away the whole match. Then the size of the stage might be an issue.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Link already can camp with a bomb in hand, it just disappears during some animations. The programing is easy, when ever Link can bomb Fsmash, or land then bomb fsmash, he could use any non bomb move like jabs etc. I have 'R' set to attack so 'A' and the 'C' stick are free for attacks too.

I meant how fast the boomerang starts in melee. Taking away the catch lag is good too.

I'm liking Battle Field more and more; it's great vs DDD and falco if they ban Brinstar.
What's weird is Japes is good vs Falco.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
in my opinion link need a better recovery, bigger hitbox in his arrows and boomerang, stronger moves

strong like game& watch, or at least Kirby
A few of his moves rival them in kill power, mostly Link's dair. The recovery is my main issue, tbh.

Sakurai just hates Link.

Rizen

Smash Legend
Their's still hope for (stylized) relistic Skyward Sword graphics...

For those who liked TP's graphics over cell shading:
"Skyward Sword was originally intended to be released with the same style of art found in Twilight Princess. However, Miyamoto decided the Zelda team should go in another direction. Shigeru was a big fan of the cartoon-like style of The Wind Waker that he wanted to go in that direction again. Of course the graphics are not the same. While Skyward Sword's graphics resemble a cartoon to a degree, the style is based heavily on impressionistic art."
http://legendzelda.net/category/skyward-sword/
"Characteristics of Impressionist paintings include relatively small, thin, yet visible brush strokes, open composition, emphasis on the accurate depiction of light in its changing qualities (often accentuating the effects of the passage of time), ordinary subject matter, the inclusion of movement as a crucial element of human perception and experience, and unusual visual angles."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressionism
Example:

Keep in mind the few glimpses of Skyward Sword gameplay were early in development. The graphics will improve and are not mimicking Wind Waker's. SS graphics will not be as realistic as TP's but will hopefully not disappoint with lighting and beautiful stylization.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Whats wrong with pants? Or do you prefer to wear tights on all your adventures?

Why is everyone so afraid of change?

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Haha, oh c'mon, Ryos, it was a joke.

I do think the pants are a bit big and poofy though. Maybe it's just the stance. Otherwise, I acutally really like the artstyle.

IYM!

Smash Lord
this &quot;!&quot; is part of my nick (Chile)
A few of his moves rival them in kill power, mostly Link's dair. The recovery is my main issue, tbh.
sorry i am late
yes, the Dair is a little (just a little) stronger than the Fsmash of Game and watch,

But. Wich move is easier to conect? A sweetspoted Dair of Link or a sweetspoted Fsmash of G&W?

also, G&W have another powerfull moves, his other 2 smashes are too powerfull to :urg:,

Link dont have any other dangerous move, only the Dair :ohwell:, and isnt so easy to conect all the time

Sakurai just hates Link
totaly agree

PZ

Smash Lord
My day

Today I played an ike online we had a blast funny moments n stuff.

I used link n cf but my needs work facing humans but my link was at home basically.

Epic DI surviving ike's Fsmash at 93%.

Today I learned link's jab is the shiz n so is his up b(grounded) bombs make n protect you in ways.

Link's tilts are hard to use. Im attached to nair n uair but ocasionally FHBair n dair out of ps.

I wish I could be better at the main I strive to make better(cf) but im just better using any randum character n not wut i want=(

Rizen

Smash Legend
G&W's Smashes are all slower than Link's. He does have a Dthrow combo that helps. Link has good power but not broken power like Snake and G&W. G&W is super mobile but has laggy moves.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Well it depends, G&W is a very read based character and gets larger rewards and easier set-ups to get them.

Link has some, but they don't occur as often and are harder to set-up if he can.

Rizen

Smash Legend
^How many of those avatars do you have, lol?

G&W plays based on spacing and combos more than setups. Most attack chains are fairly certain with good spacing/timing. Landing smashes, besides the Dthrow combo, does require good reading of the opponent.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I'm so irritated at myself. I was playing some guy today who mained the Starfox characters and Link just got owned left and right (as well as all of my other characters)... However, Pit managed to completely wipe the floor with him.

It seems like no matter how much i play Link, and how little i play Pit. I will always be better at Pit.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
I'm so irritated at myself. I was playing some guy today who mained the Starfox characters and Link just got owned left and right (as well as all of my other characters)... However, Pit managed to completely wipe the floor with him.

It seems like no matter how much i play Link, and how little i play Pit. I will always be better at Pit.
Ha, well, some people are naturally better at certain playstyles and characters. Plus, Link sucks against all of the Starfox characters. Stupid space furries and their TECHNOLOGY.

The Post Office can go die in a fire. It shouldn't take an hour and a half to pick up a package that was supposed to be delivered to my doorstep in the first place. RAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEE.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I need to give my hands a break from typing, brawl, etc. I might be gone for a few days. Maybe.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Welp, it's official. I'm a nerd now. I bought my first anime series on DVD. Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. I hate you Ryos, haha (jk)

It was 12 bucks on Amazon. That's dirt cheap; I wouldn't have gotten it if it was more than that. That's just too good a price to pass up. Heck, if I get tired of it, I found out my brother likes that series. It'd make a great birthday gift for him, haha.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
You should thank me its only 4 DVDs and a great anime. If you do get bored of it just stop watching it for a while and when you come back to it, it will be great again.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
^How many of those avatars do you have, lol?

G&W plays based on spacing and combos more than setups. Most attack chains are fairly certain with good spacing/timing. Landing smashes, besides the Dthrow combo, does require good reading of the opponent.
Lots, cause it's on of my favorite anime series even if it is simple and only 6 of the episode had Miyazaki behind them.

And yeah you got the idea with G&W, always remember to tech that Dthrow.

Welp, it's official. I'm a nerd now. I bought my first anime series on DVD. Full Metal Panic Fumoffu. I hate you Ryos, haha (jk)

It was 12 bucks on Amazon. That's dirt cheap; I wouldn't have gotten it if it was more than that. That's just too good a price to pass up. Heck, if I get tired of it, I found out my brother likes that series. It'd make a great birthday gift for him, haha.
It's hilarious, you won't regret it.

Cuddos to Ryo for referencing it.

Who did you play first Pit or Link?

Because with me, it's not a case of Link being bad for me, more so I just know how to play Lucario 10x better than anyone else I can play.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
And yeah you got the idea with G&W, always remember to tech that Dthrow.
I always try to tech the dthrow when I play against G&W. It's kinda easy to time but the timing changes with different characters, so if you switch characters a lot it can get tricky.
It's hilarious, you won't regret it.

Cuddos to Ryo for referencing it.
Haha, I really enjoyed it. I'm not a big anime person at all, but I thought it was hilarious. I loved how for the "Next episode" clip at the end the music they play is a blatant rip-off of the A-Team.
Because with me, it's not a case of Link being bad for me, more so I just know how to play Lucario 10x better than anyone else I can play.
I tend to play a lot of characters (haha, doesn't mean I play them well), especially since with just friendlies, I'd rather kick back, relax a little, and just have fun, and Link takes a lot of concentration to play and can kinda wear you out if you play him for a long time (it's worth it in tournaments and such though, haha). Link is my best character for sure, although he wasn't my first character. Heck, I didn't pick him up until after I'd been swapping "mains" from Pit to Wario to Ness to Zelda to Captain Falcon to Sonic and Wolf, among others, for a year and a half.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
I was just complaining. My Link is pretty good. I would say its at least tournament level. Link sometimes does better then Pit. But the same could be said about all the characters I use. Pit is probably just more reliable.

Hmm if I actually think back to who i mained first. Link was first (melee main), Lucas, TL, then Pit. My main is still Pit cause i know he will always be my best character. But i have to agree, playing a bunch of characters is fun. But i hate random because i refuse to play top tier characters, unless i play them so off metagame that they stuck. lol. The people who've played me should know all the characters i use, and I'm fairly decent with all of them, i just dont know all the match ups well.

Anyway, whats everyone's favorite character regardless of how well they play them or w/e. I honestly have to say Ivysaur.

Also randomness occurs, but I'm seriously starting to hate Hulu. Not only for the commercial breaks that come up more often the live tv. But that i rewatched Kenichi: Histories Strongest Disciple on hulu and now all my recommendations are anime. The recommendations use to be good. It led me to Warehouse 13, Haven, No Ordinary Family, Castle, and The Cape. But now hulu is becoming ********.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
Hmm if I actually think back to who i mained first. Link was first (melee main), Lucas, TL, then Pit. My main is still Pit cause i know he will always be my best character. But i have to agree, playing a bunch of characters is fun. But i hate random because i refuse to play top tier characters, unless i play them so off metagame that they stuck. lol.
Haha, I have characters I refuse to play too, but more on a matter of principal than anything else (sometimes I'll play them if I random them though). I still hold a grudge against the ******** yellow rat in Pokeymanz yellow for not letting me evolve him. And Olimar just makes me rage. I just don't like Meta Knight (nothing against him, but when I first played as him before I knew anything about how good he was I told my friend "he's just so boring-feeling" and he still feels boring to me when I play him). Penguins are evil and trying to take over the world so I can't play DeDeDe.
Anyway, whats everyone's favorite character regardless of how well they play them or w/e. I honestly have to say Ivysaur.
Link. He was the very first character I ever played in a Smash game (SSB64). I didn't like him in Melee, oddly enough, and maybe it's just that I've gotten used to his playstyle, but he's my favorite single character to play as (although I can't deny having lots of fun with Oldmanondorf, Captain Falcon, Wario and Diddy Kong).
Also randomness occurs, but I'm seriously starting to hate Hulu. Not only for the commercial breaks that come up more often the live tv. But that i rewatched Kenichi: Histories Strongest Disciple on hulu and now all my recommendations are anime. The recommendations use to be good. It led me to Warehouse 13, Haven, No Ordinary Family, Castle, and The Cape. But now hulu is becoming ********.
I don't even bother with Hulu, haha.

Top Bottom