• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Le Lazy Lurking Link's Listen/Laugh Lounge ♪~ (^ 。^=)

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Metroid Prime geek
That makes two of us. Nintendo really pissed me off when they pushed the release date of Other M back to Aug 31, but as long as it's coming out (this year), I'm happy. Also, in Prime 3, the parts when Samus' corrupted face is reflected at certain points during the game in her visor is FAMAZING! ^_^

The Ike boards got a LOT of activity from their bi-weekly wifi tourneys.
I can most probably wi-fi you on Monday, if you want. I should be home (should--key word) so we can either Brawl or Hunt, whatever suits your fancy. Any time from 10 AM to 5 PM works good. Before that, I'll be asleep. After that, I'll be out.

Red Link FTW? I'd say White and Red Link (my Brawl is hacked) but it's not a common pallete swap, so Red Link FTW.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hey ive got a question for all of you links.

Im looking to start maining a different character besides pikachu because pikachu is good but he isnt great with combos and im wanting to change my whole way of playing brawl. Im wanting a character that can just combo like crazy and i watched izaw's community combo video and i just thought the links on there were just awesome. So i wanted to ask everyone if link is the best character to combo with or is there another character that is better?

Ive got like really fast fingers because i played gunz the duel for about 2 years and if you have ever played that game then you would know why and how i have fast fingers lol.

So im just looking for someone that can stay on the opponent and just combo like crazy as in like 0-100% combos and stuff.

The only ones i can think of are link, ZSS, Wolf... god i cant even think right now lol. But im not looking at which character is better in the tier list, im looking for a character that is great at comboing and for those of you who say that brawl has no combos then.. thats bullcrap because ive seen plenty of combos.

Well i hope to get an answer pretty soon.

Oh and btw since im good with so many characters i was thinking about going random but i think i would be better off in the long run if i just stuck with 1 character and 1 character only.

Alright well just give me your thoughts on what you think i should do.

Thanks for your time ;)

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Hey ive got a question for all of you links.

Im looking to start maining a different character besides pikachu because pikachu is good but he isnt great with combos and im wanting to change my whole way of playing brawl. Im wanting a character that can just combo like crazy and i watched izaw's community combo video and i just thought the links on there were just awesome. So i wanted to ask everyone if link is the best character to combo with or is there another character that is better?

There are much better people in this game than Link, lol
If you're looking for Combos, i'd recommend Samus, Sonic, Meta-Knight, and Kirby. IMO.

Ive got like really fast fingers because i played gunz the duel for about 2 years and if you have ever played that game then you would know why and how i have fast fingers lol.
This is just a talent, i guess. Depends on how you look at it.

So im just looking for someone that can stay on the opponent and just combo like crazy as in like 0-100% combos and stuff.

Lol, MK. Samus has combos, but her Melee game is HORRIBLE. Comprised of nothing but FF-Uair, and Screw Attack. Other than that, Samus should keep distance.

Can't think of too many others.

The only ones i can think of are link, ZSS, Wolf... god i cant even think right now lol. But im not looking at which character is better in the tier list, im looking for a character that is great at comboing and for those of you who say that brawl has no combos then.. thats bullcrap because ive seen plenty of combos.

The people in the combo videos are just good representatives of their main. A combo isn't necessarily a "combo." Rather, it's a string of attacks while staying on your opponent, full throttle.
My response is within your quotes, mate.
Welcome to the Link boards, btw. :)

HotWings

Smash Ace
Yes that is exactly what i was trying to get to was whats a good character with a string of attacks. Oh and i will take your advice on that there is better characters out there than link lol.

Ive been playing this game for so long and still dont have a main and thats why by next sunday i want to have already picked my main and i want to promise myself that i will stick with that character no matter what.

Im still kinda stuck with a few characters but thank you for your advice.

quirkynature

Smash Ace
Im still kinda stuck with a few characters
Link is pretty decent at comboing, but if you want to go for a character that can combo like crazy, AKA rack up damage quickly, you want a character with low lag (beginning and ending) and low knockback moves.

I'm immediately thinking Sonic, Captain Falcon, Pit, Fox, Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus (amazing, btw), Lucario (at low percents, his comboing ability is beastly), Diddy Kong...and MK.

The reason you thought Link can combo like crazy is because you saw IZAW. He's one of the elites. If you want to see how good a character is at comboing as you're learning, check out the video section of the character you want and go to an obscure player, along with others. If the obscure player can combo well enough, that's the one you want.

You want Link if you want FUN. We have tons of ATs but poor recovery...I'll spare you another "Link tutorial". If you want to "combo and win", you know where the MK boards are.

Hope I helped!

HotWings

Smash Ace
You know where the metaknight boards are lol, i cracked up when you said that xD.

But the reason im rethinking a lot of characters right now is because i need someone with amazing recovery.. thats why im now not going to use wolf because i always mess up trying to get up lol.

Most of the characters you sound im now thinking really hard about... btw is there a link you can send me that tells me all the stats of each character as far as how well they are in dps or stock tank and all that, i know there used to be a doubles section that had it in there and it told about all the characters but now i just cant find it.

Btw thanks for help you guys, its really helping me.

Rizen

Smash Legend
You know where the metaknight boards are lol, i cracked up when you said that xD.

But the reason im rethinking a lot of characters right now is because i need someone with amazing recovery.. thats why im now not going to use wolf because i always mess up trying to get up lol.

Most of the characters you sound im now thinking really hard about... btw is there a link you can send me that tells me all the stats of each character as far as how well they are in dps or stock tank and all that, i know there used to be a doubles section that had it in there and it told about all the characters but now i just cant find it.

Btw thanks for help you guys, its really helping me.
I don't know stat links for singles.
Link's recovery IS DI. To play Link you must have great DI because he is quick to momentum cancel and spam while returning back to the stage but he falls fast, one of the fastest, has bad side air movement, and a momentum based recovery UpB with bad vertical and horizontal distance. I hate to say it but: unless you're willing to practice for several months and still have a disadvantage in every MU except Ganondorf, don't play Link.:urg:

quirkynature

Smash Ace
I meant no offense when I said that.

If you want amazing like ZOMGWTFAMAAAZZZZINNNNG, go to MK boards :chuckle: He has 4 recoveries wtf.

If you want "heeyyyy that's NIIICEEE", go to Pit. That dude can't be gimped. And he has one LONNNNG recovery, so there.

If you want a bit of a challenge, ZSS is what you might be looking for. It's a very aerial based metagame with her, but her SH are high, so it's tough to approach with aerials. I'd actually recommend you check out ZSS boards and look at her moveset to get a bit of insight. You won't be using her tether recovery to recover if you're good (I spam that recovery like it's my favorite move), and she's got great priority on almost all her aerials. Need I mention U-air?:love:

Toon Link is pretty agile and has great recovery, too. And he's got 3 projectiles and Z-air (although it hits only once...). He's got a short reach, though, so IDK about that.

Overall, I'd say you're looking between MK, Pit, ZSS and Toon Link. Add Kirby to the fray as a sub.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Yeah thats what im afraid of lol.

Actually i was just now thinking back on all of the characters i have mained and the 2 best that i mained are MK and Snake... not because there top on the tier but just because there fun for me but i can also take them very seriously unlike ness lol.

So i wanted to ask you all this, do you think its a good idea for me to main both MK and Snake or just pick one?

Because there are times where im the mood for camping and actually having projectiles and there are times where i just want to keep on the enemy until they die lol.

So yeah, i thought really hard and am still thinking.. i thought about sonic a lot but i just dont think he will ever have what it takes to actually win big in tournaments no matter how good i am. Same thing with samus because i dont ever see anyone.. not even tudor or xyro beating m2k or ally.

But honestly my favorite match to watch are of m2k and ally and i always watch them 2 times because 1st time i will focus on m2k and the 2nd match i will focus on ally.

I just love both characters and i want to ask you all if there is anything wrong with maining 2characters.

Now im still thinking about my characters but i think that if i main mk and snake then i would always be happy and i would always have options to choice from, i could always learn new combos and also i could never say to myself like i have in the past (why did i pick these character, i'll never make it big in any tournaments with this character)

So just tell me if you think ive maid the right decision.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I think you should stick with Pikachu. He's got some 0-100% stuff.

Down Throw x30 on Fox and then end in Usmash death. :p

He also has combos and a good recovery.

I've picked up Pikachu as a secondary. ;)

HotWings

Smash Ace
I just dont know anymore lol. Everyone here is making so much sence and im just stuck right now.

Im really good with pikachu and i love him and idk why i would want to give him up lol.

Then again pit is just fuxing awesome. He is flashy, has projectiles, very good recovery.

Then snake is just awesome with DI and recovery and plus he can really pack a punch.. and a nade lol

Finally it comes down to MK. MK is soooo freaking good. He can string attacks like youve never seen any other character do b4. He has wonderful recovery. He doesnt have 1 MU that isnt in his favor.

So what should i do. Just go to MK and snake or just MK?

What i have to learn is this.. i love a bunch of other characters out there but i have to just stop trying to be them and just like the character.

So between pit, pikachu snake and MK who do all of yal think i should go to?

Keep in mind that i like characters that can string very good, have great recovery, can actually compete well in tournaments, have most of the MU in there favor that way i dont have to worry about anyone counterpicking against me.

Ive already got my answer but i want to hear all of yals opinions.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Are you going to tourneys? Who's your best characters at the moment? Who's your favorite?

I guess I'm lucky that I found a character that I've stuck with from the beginning of the game. I still play alot of other characters for fun like in friendlies and stuff.

You could try sticking to one character for like 2 weeks learning the guides and stuff which might help your decision on 'if this is the right character'

But yeah I can't really help you as you can see I don't know what to say.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Yeah i know what you mean.

Btw my best characters so far are.. and not in order. pikachu, ness, mk.

My fav character to watch would prob be snakes.

But my fav characters to use are Jigglypuff and Peach.

Im just stuck lol.

I guess i will battle a whole bunch tonight and just determine that way.

But do yal think i should just try to find 1 main and stick with him/her? Or find a main and an alt.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Find a main first. When you find that you struggle in certain matchups that when you need a secondary.

Anyways I finally got a full SC2 pass!

Scabe
scabe3000@hotmail.com add me if you have it
I sent a friend request.

Anyway, if he picks MK or Snake he really wont need a secondary. Pit is also pretty decent in terms of not needing a secondary.

I suggest learning and sticking to Pit. He is both good at stringing attacks like MK and has a project camp potential like Snake. The only real problem is that he isn't as good as snake or Mk in their niche. Hes kind of a jack of all trades and probably the most balance character (IMO). Pit also has very few bad match ups. Worst being MK and G&W. His gimping potential is pretty high with his arrows, multiple jumps, and mirror shield.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
yal think i should just try to find 1 main and stick with him/her? Or find a main and an alt.
YES. Y'all. Haha, a fellow southerner! How's it going Lv100?

Going with a secondary can depend on what character you main too. If you're, say, MK or Snake, you don't need a secondary unless you really just want one. If you're a character that has a hard counter like, say, DK, if you don't have a secondary that fares well against the character that beats you up (Dedede), you're a dead man.

Basically just go with who feels right for you and you enjoy playing. You can play Link if you want, I would say I love playing him and think he's a ton of fun to play, but you're gonna have to spend forever learning him properly to be any good with him. Also, Link doesn't really have a lot of true combos. If the opponent is on their toes and knows what's going on/predicts correctly, most of Link's stuff is escapable with DI and whatnot.

And yeah, Izaw is a flashy Link who can be fun to watch. I'd very highly recommend Legan and KirinBlaze if you want to see what Link can do, since they're pretty widely considered the top 2 Links (Scabe is pretty freaking amazing too, haha).

HotWings

Smash Ace
Alright well thanks for the help.

I think what im going to do is this..

Im going to main RANDOM!

Now i know this sounds stupid but me always switching back and forth between characters has just made me good with almost every single character in the game so.. why not? Plus i love near about every character and i just cant commit to just 1 character lol.

It was a hard decision because i was like.. well im really good with ness, jigglypuff, peach, mk, snake, diddy... no lie, the list could go on and on lol. So i just decided to main random because i just love being able to play all characters.

Now i know i will prob never be able to actually win a tournament but however i can at least try. and hope for the best.

Im just tired of taking this game so serious and one day if i ever get out of brawl or if brawl just dies out i would like to think back on my exp. in brawl and be like, wow i had so much fun playing that game. I had so much fun at tournaments and met many people.

Other than me maining just say MK and being like. Wow i used to hate having to force myself to play every single day for hours and hours just to be good at the game and actually come 1st in some tournaments. Everytime i lost i always got so mad and god i just hated it. It was no fun with being so competitive.

See the difference?? >_<

Well ive got a question for all of you and i would like you all to answer.

Since im going to main random i would like a different name and i need yals help.

Ive got a few picked out already and they are. EOS (stands for Element Of Surprise), Y•So•Serious, eh i cant really think right now lol. I kinda like EOS more than Y•So•Serious just because EOS is just well.. awesome lol.

Oh and plus another reason for me maining random is because i like to tell people that it doesnt matter what character you are, it matters about the person behind the controller.

Also ive learned from my past ( i was poor) that you should be thankful for whats put infront of you and do the best with what you have. (Unless i pick random and it gives me yoshi then.. that a different story xD)

So thank you all for your time and i hope to hear from yal soon. You are all so nice and once i make my other account i plan on talking here the most just because yal are so nice. Yal seem nicer than most southern folk down here and you know how nice us rednecks can be lol.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
What a crazy awesome decision on maining random. You don't have to make a new account to get a name change (in fact it's one of the rules).

Just buy premium (you get a name change). if you can't get it I can help ;)

HotWings

Smash Ace
That would be awesome. I mean i have posted so many time with this account i would hate to start all over lol.

The only thing i hate about this account now is that i got back on one day and all my friends was gone and all my visiter messages were deleted :(

Idk what happened but it sucked.

So about the premium... i wouldnt be able to get one anytime soon :(

What could you do to help me?

Oh and do you really think its cool that im going to main random? Like do you think i made the right decision? I mean i know i feel really good about it and i can just see myself having more fun now. But i just want to know if you really mean it when you say its a crazy awesome decision lol :)

Scabe

Successful Businessman
Yeah it's quite awesome idea, I would do it if I was in the same situation.

I could pay for your premium it's only 4 bucks!

Also I finished watching The Princess and the Frog today.

Such a good movie :D

HotWings

Smash Ace
OMG you would do that for me! Your so nice!

Oh and please dont think im poor because i cant pay $4 lol, i used to be poor yes lol but im not now, its just i have no way of getting my money online atm, thats all xD.

But thank you sooooo much for offering to buy me membership, your like to kind ^_^

Oh yeah i watched that the other day with my family, it was quite a good movie.

We actually watched The Blind Side yesterday and were prob going to watch Date Night tommorow.

The Blind Side was such a touching movie, it was just to good, the actors in it was amazing, you should watch it :)

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Yeah princess and the frog was a good movie. But it bombed in the box office. So I have a feeling there arnt going to be anymore 2D animations from disney for a while.

Huggles828

Aimin' to Misbehave
NNID
Huggles828
It seemed like a movie that would be pretty good but wouldn't appeal to people on title alone to me.

I was kinda wondering if they were gonna ruin Toy Story 3, but it turned out to be a great movie. One of the best movies of the summer, although Inception wasn't bad either, if really confusing.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Well everyone ive got to head off to bed now, it was nice talking to you all and i hope you all get a good nights rest and have fun while your still on here lol.

Btw i would want to change my name to Element Of Surprise

Well pce out, i will cya all tommorow.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Now that you mention it, that might be it. i know there's an EU sever. You should try asking around the SC2 boards to see if its possible to change servers.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hello and good afternoon to all you links out there :)

I just came here to tell you all something really amazing i did.

Well me and my brother awhile back mained both ness and lucas in doubles but we didnt really have any combos like m2k and ally does. So this morning we were doing doubles and i picked random and he picked lucas. Well we went up against a level 9 DK and a level 9 pikachu. So we killed the pikachu and DK had 1 life left and he was like around 15% or something like that. Well idk how we thought of this but it kinda just happened to us and we were sitting there like WTF, how did we actually come up with this that fast lol.

Well here is what happened. Lucas (my brother) got the grab and threw DK up, then i was already above them and i spiked DK down. Then lucas started dtilting DK and i came down to the left of them and started my Dtilt. So DK was just stuck and couldnt do anything. So once he got to 100% i told my brother to do his up+A and right when he started it up i used my bat and DK flew just like an inch and then lucas's up+A caught him and he flew up!

That was like the best wombo combo i have ever seen lol. On top of that me and him did it lol.

I will make a video of it soon to actually show you all how its done but OMG it was just so amazing.

Well im about to go to the pool and relax a bit but i wanted to ask Scabe this...how will we go about you getting me membership? Like are you going to buy yourself membership and you change my name or are you going to buy me membership? If so will you need my account info or no?

Just trying to see how we are going to go about doing this lol.

Again thank you so much for going to buy me membership, you dont even know how happy this makes me feel ^_^

HotWings

Smash Ace
Actually ive changed my mind.

Im going to main Falco just because im tired of not being good at the game and its not like i cant have fun if i have a main. Winning is fun lol. I also decided to start playing melee and i know im late but better now than never. So im going to just main falco in both games.

Also ive got the perfect name.

Fried Chicken

Dont yal just love the name lol.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I mained random for a short time. The characters were so much easier to use but I kept going back to Link. I'm hooked.

Well here is what happened. Lucas (my brother) got the grab and threw DK up, then i was already above them and i spiked DK down. Then lucas started dtilting DK and i came down to the left of them and started my Dtilt. So DK was just stuck and couldnt do anything.
If someone pins you like that or against a wall DI up and mash jump.

Actually ive changed my mind.

Im going to main Falco just because im tired of not being good at the game and its not like i cant have fun if i have a main. Winning is fun lol. I also decided to start playing melee and i know im late but better now than never. So im going to just main falco in both games.

Also ive got the perfect name.

Fried Chicken

Dont yal just love the name lol.
Falco's a good character. A long time ago when Megaman X2 was on the NES, one of the bosses was called Overdrive Ostrich. My friend and I nicknamed him Over-fried Chicken which at the time was hilarious. You just reminded me.

Scabe

Successful Businessman
I get the feeling you'll be changing your identity and main for a while. Only because I know someone who does that and is still doing it after 2 years since Brawl's came out. I've bought premium, I'm just waiting on Queen Killjoy to transfer it over.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Alright Scabe thanks so much. Also i feel really good about falco, like really really good about it. I think i will actually stick with falco for a long time :)

Im not going to change my identity, im just changing my name this 1 time and thats all.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Aw i didnt think about hot wings lol. I kinda like fried chicken a little more just because it seems more southern but hot wings would be an awesome name lol.

Top Bottom