• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lava and You: A Marth's Guide to Norfair

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I would assume so, destructible environment counts on other stages, I can't see why it wouldn't here.

Edit: ._. Ninja'd by Bengals

-Ran

Smash Master
I just tested the decay aspects of it. 1vs1 against a friend playing a random character, I hit him ten times with a Fair to where it was doing piss poor damage. I then did the counter attack/power shield within the lava ten times. The fair was still doing miserable damage, when it should have been fully refreshed. No change in percent of damage, or anything. =/

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Ok, I updated the OP with a new section on the random aspects (or lack thereof) of Norfair. I'm also going to do up some quick summaries on a few of the match-ups.

If possible, Shaya, could you remove the "Under Construction" from the title? I'm only going to touch up a few more things, then I'm moving on to the Brinstar guide.

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
You can change the title yourself. Double click any space next to the title of your topic on the Marth forum index.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
You're awesome Bengalz, thanks a bunch. Some match-ups are done now, I just may have to fix some formatting.

Edit: Alright, I've done the match-ups that I'll be doing for now, I'll add more and update as I play more characters on Norfair. Will be adding a few vids later in the spaces I made notes. Other than that, I'm off to start the Brinstar guide.

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Are you saying Marth can jump into the lava wall with a counter and just keep doing it over and over ?

You know he has like 30 frames of vulnerability after his invincibility ends... Maybe the lava wall specifically has a new hitbox out about every 30 frames, that would make sense. But I'd need to see videos of it.
I didn't read the whole thread, just the OP, but Steel showed me this in 2008. It's true. However, prepare to get hit if you mess up the timing.

Any character can stall by repeatedly powershielding the lava.

Also, I would NOT advise taking DK here. He has an UpB gimmick which makes him difficult to combat, and can kill early with Dsmash, and edgeguard us really far out, and recover well. He kills easily, and cargo throw is amazing here. I would suggest FD if he doesn't ban it, or perhaps PS1 if you're not comfortable on Battlefield. Castle Siege isn't good or bad, I try NOT to ever choose Frigate.

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Also, I would NOT advise taking DK here. He has an UpB gimmick which makes him difficult to combat, and can kill early with Dsmash, and edgeguard us really far out, and recover well. He kills easily, and cargo throw is amazing here. I would suggest FD if he doesn't ban it, or perhaps PS1 if you're not comfortable on Battlefield. Castle Siege isn't good or bad, I try NOT to ever choose Frigate.
Alright, I'll take your word for it, you probably play better DKs than I do. Do you have any vids worth adding to the thread? (For any character) I'd like to see how well a pro DK can use this stage before I decide to change my recommendation. :confused:

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
oh I have semi sad news

DEHF has informed me that its possible to simply power shield only the lava wall however that its SIGNIFICANTLY easier to counter PS.

I feel your pain as well marth mains

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm doubtful that very many people are able to reliably do it using only powershielding, however. Marth and Ike will remain the best at it, but we're no longer quite as unique.

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
it will take at least a year before anyone reliably powershields it so we should be fine for the remainder of the MLG season

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Haven't looked at any of this much until now, but this sounds great. Do you think this is a good CP against Wolf? I have a lot of trouble with that MU...

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Hmmm.... I haven't really played Wolf here at all, but my initial guess would be that there are probably better choices. Lylat is one of the more obvious ones, and against Wolf you'll want to focus on stages where gimping is more viable. Norfair doesn't really see too much gimping.

Reizilla

The Old Lapras and the Sea
Anybody know if the counter/powershield thing works on Brinstart lava too?

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Bengals got it. I tested it on Brinstar immediately after working it out on Norfair. Can't counter the acid, for whatever reason. O_o

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
Yeah, you can counter the rising lava, so I'm not really sure why Brinstar is different.

As for your video Bengals, I have NO clue what happened there. I've never seen anything like that. O_O

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
I'll check it out in frame advance and see if the lava ever makes contact with the shield. I'll let you guys know the results soon :)

Blacknight99923

Smash Champion
There's also the underlying issue of brinstar's lava probably being a constant and constantly resetting hit box.
I am pretty sure it only hits you if you aren't in the first stage of hitstun or something because you can be footstooled through it

painlord k11

Smash Journeyman
i tend to go norfair as much as possible on all is brawl but i think it became banned by them its like counter/banned some people allow it others do not idk it's like my fave stage.

XZero264

Smash Rookie
Dude, nice Marth texture... supposed to be Aeon from Castlevania: Judgement, right?

Exdeath

Smash Master
I've been practicing on Norfair lately and I noticed that when the lava covers the bottom platform and will partially cover the second level, there are several patterns for what it covers.

So far, I've seen it either cover the entire second level or cover one platform entirely and cover the inner portion of the other platform (much more common).

Top Bottom