• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LasT Smash 4 - Nov. 28-29 - Sat=Singles; Sun=Teams+Melee

Cyphus

BRoomer
BRoomer
i dont know how i'm getting there (lee/r0ni?) but if we can fit it, i'd like to bring my settup. it would help me out (and everyone else).

i've probably put in 10 hours of smash the past 2 months. If i dont get some serious brawling going i'm going to get obliterated.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
stoked for this!

hype hype hype! swift! :D

also do we know what the side events are gonna be yet?
Falcon Challenge like last time?

I AM SUPER HYPE FOR THIS TOURNEY!!!!!

I want birthday HUGS!!!!!

Me and Lee are gonna show everyone how teams is suppose to be played ^_^
**** you! JK, Diddy will **** this LasT

If Reflex will let me ride with him, I may make this :bee:

EDIT: MMs? If I make it?
I thought your mom was super strict? Change of heart?

-Ran

Smash Master
No lie, I just completely changed how I play Snake over the past two days. I had a smash epiphany.

Get hyped!

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
No lie, I just completely changed how I play Snake over the past two days. I had a smash epiphany.

Get hyped!
No Marth, Ran?

Regardless, looking forward to seeing your changes this Saturday. :D

-Ran

Smash Master
Marth will make appearances too, but Snake is going to steal the show. He got veeeery jealous when I was playing Marth. ^_~

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
So I've spent the past week or two trying to figure out how to cram Singles and Teams into one day if we get 60ish people and fall short on setups. I've had ideas and talked to people I respect to get their input. During these discussions, I was reminded of half the reason I wanted to do a two-day tournament in the first place: I don't want to rush.

We could probably get something worked out to fit everything into one day, but that's not the kind of event I want to host. It's awesome to have a large tournament and get it all done in one day. Maybe we'll have tons of extra time, but maybe we won't.

I'm going to keep Singles on Saturday (pools and bracket) and Teams on Sunday. If at all possible, I will aim to run the round robin pools at best 2/3 sets. If it looks like time will be an issue (due to setups or attendance), then I'll go with 2 game matches in pools. If I do two games, then we'll choose random from the 5 starters + Lylat. Each player will get 1 stage ban and one random reset. Again, if it's possible I'm gonna do regular 2/3 sets.

If there's time on Saturday after Singles, we can just have tons of friendlies or do draft crews or something else fun. On Sunday, we'll start teams first thing and do side events after that. Particular side events, such as low tier, random, low tier or random teams, etc. can be decided by a vote. However, I'd love to see a Melee "side" tourney Sunday afternoon. I apologize for waiting so long to decide to do Melee, but I think we can get a decent local turnout. We'll need systems/ Melee now, too.

Generally, the schedule should look like this:

Saturday:
11am - open/ setup/ registration
12-12:30ish - close registration
12:30-1ish - start pools with bracket following pools
+ whatever side events (time permitting)
10 or 11pm - pick up and leave

Sunday:

11am - open/ teams registration begins
12ish start teams
2-2:30ish - Melee (?)
3-4ish - end teams
+whatever side events (time permitting)
9pm - pick up and leave

For those wanting a one-day thing, maybe next time. I don't want the hassle of trying to do too much in too little time without enough setups. Maybe we'll only get 40-50 people, and you can laugh and say how stupid I was. At least we're not going to be at someone's house at two in the morning finishing things up.

Other important stuff:
1. Melee!
2. Side games/ non-smash stuff is welcome. However, as always, if we need the space (or anything), then the tournament comes first. Sunday will have fewer TVs and less of a need for them.
3. Bring setups!
4. Who can house/ needs housing?!
5. If Singles doesn't finish Saturday night, then I'll work something out with the remaining participants. We always have the next day, but if people can't stay then we can try and finish things up.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
I got the ok to house people. Reflex, check your PMs.

Anyone else need housing? We probably will be able to house a couple more people.

Also, Arcadia is definitely bringing a full setup.

Hyro

Smash Lord
I'MA HOUSE WITH TEXAS K GET AT ME

And Randall couple of questions, why would we include Lylat??? It's a counterpick now...

And pretty sure 2/3 messes with pools, supposed to be 2 matches.

Annnnd random reset??? Is that normal?? XD

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Hyro, Lylat would only be a possible random if we did 2 games in pools. We decided to use it as a CP because we need 5 stages to strike. I don't think stage striking works very well twice in a set. If we go random, there's no reason to avoid using the six stages that are generally accepted as starter material (FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Yoshi's, Lylat, and PS1). The ban is to prevent a stage that might be a CP in that matchup from getting used. The random reset lets you reset at the start of the game if you don't like the stage. If you random into it later, then you can't reset again. The idea is to have players play on a "fair" stage for the matchup while generally expanding the stage selection. We can eliminate the random reset, but I see it as a quick way to keep random (if we do 2 game sets in pools) closer to fair.

Why would 2 game sets be the standard? Bracket matches always play best 2/3. Not only does it encourage consistency, it allows for counterpicks (character and stage). I feel that our system for counterpicking is part of what really makes smash unique. Two game sets don't allow for counterpicks.

Vaughn, I'll get Melee rules up soon. It'll probably be like what's been at the previous LasTs.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Certainly.

However, random would only be used if we do 2 game sets in pools. I want to avoid doing this, so that means we'll probably do best 2/3 sets with stage striking in pools.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
imo pools should always be 2 games and the stages ae both random.

i also think the ledge grab rule should only apply to metaknight because his is the only one that cannot be stopped.

one other thing. razer/ozz and smoom from tx will not be going.

-Ran

Smash Master
Just because you've suddenly fallen in love with the edge with your character, Xyro, doesn't mean the rule should only single out MK.

Xyro77

I stated reasons why meta should be the only one to have it. his cannot be stopped unless you DITTO the meta. Pits/gw and the rest can be stopped by multiple characters.

I only bring this up because its only fair. if you allow a character(meta) that can steal wins from poor innocent players(everybody who doesnt use meta) then its only fair. im not arguing i was just throwin in my opinion.

-Ran

Smash Master
So are we going to have a chain grab rule for Falco or D3? They 'steal wins' from 'poor innocent' players, but you know what those players are told? Learn a new character for the match up.

And just so that we don't argue this, I'll just copy and paste your agreement.

Thats fair. smash is about CPing, wether it by stage or character.

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I think the ledge grab rule should apply to all characters. Maybe it doesn't really matter for anyone but Metaknight. If that's the case, the simpler statement of the rule still covers the problem along with unknown or unforeseen techniques/ situations. Remember, the rule only applies to matches that run out of time.

I don't like 2 game pool matches. It saves time, sure, but we trust our CP system to tell us who the best are in brackets, so why should we abandon it for pools? I think it adds to the quality of the experience for players as well.

Xyro77

So are we going to have a chain grab rule for Falco or D3? They 'steal wins' from 'poor innocent' players, but you know what those players are told? Learn a new character for the match up.

And just so that we don't argue this, I'll just copy and paste your agreement.
You forget the one key item.

Metaknight. He cannot be CPed by stage nor character. So by quoting me, you did nothing. lol

Esca

Smash Champion
Fakegeorge, you and Xyro should get together.

Seriously, I don't know of anyone who understands your rule set.

GOL | 482 | JSalt

The Folse Deity
NNID
JSalty
Xyro, can you explain why doing 2 matches in pools is better than best 2 outta 3? I think that doing 2 matches is better, but I don't know how to explain why.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Why would 2 game sets be the standard?
It's not (as far as I know--the only tournament I've ever been to that used this is FAST1, which is more than a year ago), but it makes pools go by much faster, and it ends up more-or-less the same.

It's used in some large tournaments to save time.

Xyro77

it makes pools go by much faster, and it ends up more-or-less the same.

case closed

it also tests the foes in who can adapt the quickest which is a KEY aspect when seeing who is the better player.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
case closed

it also tests the foes in who can adapt the quickest which is a KEY aspect when seeing who is the better player.
Still, the pressure to adapt and succeed is a lot greater in bracket matches, and those that don't make it far will feel more like they got their money's worth.

At the same time, the people that they're outclassed by will still only be playing them twice.

Xyro77

Still, the pressure to adapt and succeed is a lot greater in bracket matches, and those that don't make it far will feel more like they got their money's worth.

At the same time, the people that they're outclassed by will still only be playing them twice.
wait are we talking about pools or bracket?

im talkin about pools

Hyro

Smash Lord
It's not (as far as I know--the only tournament I've ever been to that used this is FAST1, which is more than a year ago), but it makes pools go by much faster, and it ends up more-or-less the same.

I hate how everything louisiana does isn't normal...to be honest, we need time more than anything...but I highly doubt the rules will be changed to 2 matches...because 3 is unusual XD

My ruleset would be:

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick

Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Rainbow Cruise

Pools would be 2 matches each. Stages would be picked by random out of the starters (5 stages not 6).

buuuuut that's too ordinary and makes too much sense lol

Curlz

Smash Lord
Randall-
Blaise, Oathkeeper, and I won't be making it on Sunday. Blaise will be the one driving us and he only wants to go on Saturday and since neither Oathkeeper or I can drive, we're kind of obligated to follow his decision. I can maybe leave my setup if I can trust someone to return it to me in the same condition it was.

I'm sorry.

Top Bottom