• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

LasT Smash 4 - Nov. 28-29 - Sat=Singles; Sun=Teams+Melee

Turazrok

Smash Master
I wanna come :D. I might have driver's ed though... so I'll only be able to watch... Unless you have a side event or something at 3:00? Melee would be good.

Smoom77

Smash Master
Right now, I'm about 75% going considering I can get a ride/housing. If I can, then I can bring a full setup+another TV but only for Saturday.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
I dont see why this has to be two days. If the last one had 80 something people, thats do able in one day. Teams and singles.

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I dont see why this has to be two days. If the last one had 80 something people, thats do able in one day. Teams and singles.
Not to mention that we aren't expected to has as many as the last time. And since we aren't doing Swiss or w/e that was anymore, we should be able to fit it in one day.

Bomber7

Smash Hero
Not to mention that we aren't expected to has as many as the last time. And since we aren't doing Round Robin or w/e that was anymore, we should be able to fit it in one day.
We're doing Round Robin.

We did Swiss pools and failed so we are just doing Round Robin.

W/e happens happens doesn't concern me because I'm not going on Sunday, I have other obligations to attend to.

Esca

Smash Champion
I really think this should be one day as well. LasT3 had 82 people, and it barely ran out of time.

I'd really like it if we just did a standard tournament, no weird seeding methods/unique ideas. Just like, 5 man pools top 3 get out, then from there a DE bracket.

This can get done in one day, seriously. No reason this should be two days.

Winnar

Smash Lord
I really think this should be one day as well. LasT3 had 82 people, and it barely ran out of time.

I'd really like it if we just did a standard tournament, no weird seeding methods/unique ideas. Just like, 5 man pools top 3 get out, then from there a DE bracket.

This can get done in one day, seriously. No reason this should be two days.
For the lulz? :(

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
Round robin pools will take a lot longer than Swiss. That was the initial appeal for trying Swiss at LasT 3. If we get a decent turnout, then pools will take most of Saturday, especially if there's even one player who takes 6-7 minutes to play a game.

I don't want to do pools with a set number of people because it makes the bracket a pain to seed. Instead, we're going with a set number of pools, probably eight. Depending on what the turnout is like, we'll cut to a top 16 or 32 double elimination bracket that is seeded purely on pool results. Teams will just be a bracket that's loosely seeded.

I've had a lot of other things keeping me away from advertising this as much as I should. The attendance will probably be lower than normal, and I'm thinking about trying to run (or at least starting) teams on Saturday if time permits. I really don't want to be there late or have to take the tournament to someone's house.

Esca

Smash Champion
Round robin pools will take a lot longer than Swiss. That was the initial appeal for trying Swiss at LasT 3. If we get a decent turnout, then pools will take most of Saturday, especially if there's even one player who takes 6-7 minutes to play a game.

I don't want to do pools with a set number of people because it makes the bracket a pain to seed. Instead, we're going with a set number of pools, probably eight. Depending on what the turnout is like, we'll cut to a top 16 or 32 double elimination bracket that is seeded purely on pool results. Teams will just be a bracket that's loosely seeded.

I've had a lot of other things keeping me away from advertising this as much as I should. The attendance will probably be lower than normal, and I'm thinking about trying to run (or at least starting) teams on Saturday if time permits. I really don't want to be there late or have to take the tournament to someone's house.
I can help you seed everything. I have no problem with that. I'm sure others can help as well.

As for the 1 day/2 day thing, I know 5 people PERSONALLY that would go if it was one day. 2 days is very hard.

Curlz

Smash Lord
I don't understand, people aren't forced to go for both days. People can show up for one day or the other. The first day is for singles and the second day is for doubles. The only reason someone would want to show up for both days is if they make it to the end of the singles bracket and we have to pack up and leave before its over. If that's the case they should want to come back because of the money they will be making from it.

That's just my 2 cents.

Hyro

Smash Lord
Yeah, this is Louisiana's Official Stagelist

Starter

Battlefield
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium 1
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick

Brinstar
Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Frigate Orpheon
Halberd
Lylat Cruise
Rainbow Cruise

Banned

The rest

And we also recently added a ledgegrab limit of 50. Don't know if either of these rule changes are gonna be used...they should be lol

And Jerm, Esca had already asked me after I found out Lee was teaming with Gnes :( sowwy

Meta_Sonic64

Smash Master
I don't understand, people aren't forced to go for both days. People can show up for one day or the other. The first day is for singles and the second day is for doubles. The only reason someone would want to show up for both days is if they make it to the end of the singles bracket and we have to pack up and leave before its over. If that's the case they should want to come back because of the money they will be making from it.

That's just my 2 cents.
People aren't forced to go both days, but then again they want to do both singles and doubles as well. Many of them are having trouble deciding to come just because of the fact that it is a two day event and it's right after Thanksgiving. A lot of them are planning to come, but most keep saying they would come if it was one day.

People like doubles as much as singles. So of course they would want to do both.
My point exactly.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
Can you guys please make this one day. Just make it normal pools if you want to do pools.

Gnes

Smash Master
Ill be able to attend no matter what...but please make it easier for OoS attending by making it one day.

It helps out alot. I can only imagine if HOBO's were 2 days...super attendance dropper.

Sudai

Stuff here
Cyphus, if you pay my entry, I'll team with you. I'll let you keep any and all money our team makes too. :o

Of course, I'd be your last ditch effort since I'm sure you wouldn't want to go with that under normal circumstances. XD

FakeGeorge

Smash Journeyman
I can help you seed everything. I have no problem with that. I'm sure others can help as well..
Seeing from a weird number of pools is difficult because parts of the bracket become "stacked."
Say we have 10 pools. That's 5 top seeds on each half of the bracket. How can I fairly determine which top seeds meet early based on pool results? Instead, I can have 8 pools and it fits well.

I appreciate your offer to help seed, and I will need help with seeding pools initially.

As for one versus two days, here's the deal:

Let's suppose we have 12 setups for this and each set takes an average of 15 minutes. A turnout of 64 isn't unreasonable to expect, and that means we can neatly have 8 pools of 8 people. A pool of 8 people means you need 28 matches to finish the pool. At 15 minutes a match and 1.5 TVs per pool (12 TVs / 8 pools), it would take about 5 hours to run pools.

The venue opens at 11, and if we close sign-ups at 12:30, we could probably get started with pools by 1. That's about 6pm for pools to end. We could run a 32 person bracket in roughly 4 hours, meaning Singles will end around 10pm. We need to start picking up around 10, so I don't see where there's time for Teams.

Now, if I make pools two games instead of best 2/3, that limits each match to about 15 minutes, but I think expecting them to average 12 minutes isn't unreasonable. That's 5 matches an hour, so about 4 hours for pools on 12 TVs. Singles would It still won't leave us with time for Teams if we need to be out of there shortly after 10:00pm.

If we get 16 setups, the time for pools would be about 3.5 hours for best 2/3 and about 3 hours for 2 game pool sets. If we cut to top 16 instead of 32, then we could probably finish Singles by 7ish. There would be time for teams in this scenario. However, I think dropping to 2 game sets for pools isn't ideal.

I'm willing to try and go for getting everything done in one day, or at least Teams/ Singles, but we will need a lot more equipment if the turnout is decent. Otherwise, we will run late and need the second day anyways.

Esca

Smash Champion
Let's suppose we have 12 setups for this and each set takes an average of 15 minutes. A turnout of 64 isn't unreasonable to expect, and that means we can neatly have 8 pools of 8 people. A pool of 8 people means you need 28 matches to finish the pool. At 15 minutes a match and 1.5 TVs per pool (12 TVs / 8 pools), it would take about 5 hours to run pools.

The venue opens at 11, and if we close sign-ups at 12:30, we could probably get started with pools by 1. That's about 6pm for pools to end. We could run a 32 person bracket in roughly 4 hours, meaning Singles will end around 10pm. We need to start picking up around 10, so I don't see where there's time for Teams.
Each person plays 2 matches vs another person. A 15 minute set is a set run to time TWICE.
You can't expect every single person to run the timer EVERY match. I bet the timer isn't even run once the entire tournament. 2 matches in a set would probably be around 8-10 minutes, which cuts your time down by at least 33%.

Another thing is, some pools finish faster than other pools. This is when you donate TV's to unfinished pools, to help it run faster.

And pools are supposed to be 2 rounds. Not a set. A set wouldn't even make sense in an accurate point-ranking system. There's no need for 2/3 in pools. Pools are 2 rounds each.

All I'm saying is, if Xyro can run 118 man tournament with Singles/doubles/AND low tier with 18 setups, and finish at 11 PM, I think we should be able to do 2 events with half that amount by the same time.

It's unreasonable to make such a small event 2 days. I'm sorry but, I dont think it's necessary.

Top Bottom