• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Last RoS Tournament August 24th, New Tournament Series to start later in the year.

Gords

Smash Champion
As some of you may already know, Cal has left Sydney and that I will be taking over the Sydney Tournament scene for the foreseeable future.

Also since Sydney has now been revived I feel it appropriate that the Cal's Revival of Sydney Tournament series come to a close. So to close it off the last Sydney tournament in the RoS series will be held on August 24th.

RoS5 Details.
Date: August 24th
Time: 10am - 9pm
Place: Manhattan super bowl bowling centre, 549 Gardeners Road Mascot
Click here to bring up the address on Google Maps
There is Parking under the venue

Games: Melee and PM, singles and Doubles
Rules will be the same as ACL Sydney Brackets
You can check them by going to the ACL thread here
I will decide whether or not I will run pools (for 1 or both games) on the day depending on attendance.

Last edited:

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
Let me know the date ASAP. I'm not missing out on this.

Gords

Smash Champion
lol RJ was that post made before or after i updated the thread title?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
will there be ritualistic chanting to complete the revival? blood sacrifices?

RJ<3

Smash Journeyman
NNID
peachyandfabrj
3DS FC
4554-1137-4668
lol RJ was that post made before or after i updated the thread title?
Probably before =P

If I wrote that after you updated it, I'd feel like a ******. XD

GTR

Smash Cadet
Think it will be possible to have some sort of stream up for the day? I remember the ethernet cable but I don't remember it being utilized.

Gords

Smash Champion
Think it will be possible to have some sort of stream up for the day? I remember the ethernet cable but I don't remember it being utilized.
i will be testing the connection speed but i dont intend to stream this event, My goal is to have streaming stuff ready for the next tourney though. Also if we are going to have a regular stream i want at least a couple of people to be dedicated to looking after it over multiple events. I will also be moderating who is on commentary, and when. these are things i have to work out though. I dont want poeple on comentary when i need then to play, which was a bit of a problem during ACL

Scarpian

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Scarpian
Hm, I want to go but Im not exactly sure how to get to Mascot(by train), I switch trains from Redfern then i switch again from Marrickville? or switch from Central instead?

Last edited:

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
I normally switch from central. I've never heard of people switching twice and there's trains to mascot from central pretty often

Gords

Smash Champion
no there is no age limit, although under 18s cant go to the bar area downstairs

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
Can we talk about the ruleset for pools?

Match Procedure
  1. Player 1 bans 2 stages from the full list of stages, both Starter and Counter-Pick.
  2. Player 2 picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step.
  3. Player 1 chooses a characters.
  4. Player 2 chooses a characters.
  5. Player 2 may change their controller port.
  6. The match is played.
  7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 for the second game with Player 1 and Player 2 roles switched. i.e Player 2 starts by banning 2 stages.
That is some real janky stuff for pools, that is straight up not fair for alot of chars and people. Also is there any chance we can move bans up to 3 from 2?

Last edited:

Gords

Smash Champion
firstly
I will decide whether or not I will run pools (for 1 or both games) on the day depending on attendance.
secondly,
that is straight up not fair for alot of chars and people. Also is there any chance we can move bans up to 3 from 2?
Can you elaborate a little on that, i feel you do not really understand what is going on here.
Regarding bans I will consider increasing it to 3.

Last edited:

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
firstly
secondly,
Can you elaborate a little on that, i feel you do not really understand what is going on here.
Regarding bans I will consider increasing it to 3.
According with bans, as a lucas player, I have to ban lylat and dreamland everytime because they are just outright bad for him having three ( like most tournaments) allows for me to ban those 2 then one for the other players char (e.g no one wants to vs marth on fd) . There is lots of chars which also have the same problem .

For the match procedure

Match Procedure
  1. Player 1 bans 2 stages from the full list of stages, both Starter and Counter-Pick.
  2. Player 2 picks a stage for the next match. Cannot choose the stage banned in the previous step.
  3. Player 1 chooses a characters. ( lets say I choose Lucas)
  4. Player 2 chooses a characters. ( Can then counterpick and choose falco)
  5. Player 2 may change their controller port.
  6. The match is played.
  7. Repeat steps 1 through 6 for the second game with Player 1 and Player 2 roles switched. i.e Player 2 starts by banning 2 stages. ( player 2 then has the advantage of knowing the players character and what to ban for the next game)

Its heavily in player 2's favour.
Proposed system

1. Blind picks, told to someone else
  2. RPS for who bans first
  3. They then ban 3 stages
  4. Other player picks 1 stage
  5. Players then play there characters from blind pick
  6. Match is played
  7. Winner then bans 3
  8. Loser picks
  9. Winner has a choice to change
  10. Loser then has a choice to change
  11. Match is played

Splice

Smash Hero
It should always be blind picks game 1 even if it's just a best of 2
(or both players just choose their character because it's not going to affect them)
If you pick lucas and the guy your vsing happens to be a Falco it's still not very favourable for you haha

Your proposed system works but there's always going to be some weird stuff about playing 2 games instead of best of 3's.

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
It should always be blind picks game 1 even if it's just a best of 2
(or both players just choose their character because it's not going to affect them)
If you pick lucas and the guy your vsing happens to be a Falco it's still not very favourable for you haha

Your proposed system works but there's always going to be some weird stuff about playing 2 games instead of best of 3's.
I like BO3 more but the current rules according to OP is bo2 so making best of what the current rules are.

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
if your character has such bad matchups/stages that simply knowing who you use creates a "heavy" counterpick disadvantage for you, then why don't you have a secondary yourself to cover those matchups/stages?

anyway, you're probably going to be familiar with the characters your opponent plays and vice-versa before game 1 regardless.

no johns

Lex__

Smash Journeyman
if your character has such bad matchups/stages that simply knowing who you use creates a "heavy" counterpick disadvantage for you, then why don't you have a secondary yourself to cover those matchups/stages?

anyway, you're probably going to be familiar with the characters your opponent plays and vice-versa before game 1 regardless.

no johns
How can I cover a matchup if the person always chooses after me? If they play falco and mario, And I play Lucas and MK No matter what Im going to be counter picked. Thats just not fair, when there are way better options available.

Gords

Smash Champion
The idea of having pools is to have better seeding of mid to top level players and to allow the least skilled players and first timers/newcomers more playtime for their money.
Even though I would also prefer pools of Bo3, the decision to go pools of 2 games is to save time,
its either that or no pools at all.

regarding Match Procedure
the short answer is:
I dont agree that P2 gets an advantage, in fact if anything I would give a very slight advantage to P1
I dont like the way Bo2 sets have been run in the past, hence the a change. It is for similar reasons why I don't completely agree with your proposed system.
here is the long drawn out arguments to why I have these opinions. The short answer sounds harsh
Firstly the match procedure here is not my idea and I am trialing it in tournament settings. It was trialed prior to this at multiple Fern De'rouge within a ladder based setting. I have had lengthy discussions regarding this procedure with the person whose idea it was and others within the community who are all long time community members and some of which are experienced TOs (including the person who came up with this procedure)

I believe the ability to ban stages is NOT a bigger advantage than the ability of choosing a stage to play on. The reason we allow the winner to change character (most fighting games dont) and have stage bans in the first place is to reduce the advantage that the choosing player gets from choosing the a stage since for Smash Bros. stages can play a significant enough roll in the way a character can perform within certain match ups.
Repeat steps 1 through 6 for the second game with Player 1 and Player 2 roles switched. i.e Player 2 starts by banning 2 stages. ( player 2 then has the advantage of knowing the players character and what to ban for the next game)
Its heavily in player 2's favour
I disagree, again since I believe choosing the stage is more advantageous than banning stages. If anything I would say this format is very slightly in Player 1's favour since they have the advantage of knowing Player 2's character and what stage to pick for the next game. But again very slightly since Player 1 has the option to change characters after knowing the stage to be played and also, especially with good players, usually this
anyway, you're probably going to be familiar with the characters your opponent plays and vice-versa before game 1 regardless
The way I see a traditional Bo3.
  • game 1.
    no advantage to either player
    (due to double blind picks and a balanced striking system of neutral stages)
  • game 2.
    small advantage loser of game 1
    (choosing a stage = big advantage, winner option to ban stage and change character to offset this advantage somewhat, then allow loser to choose character so they dont get character counterpicked)
  • game 3.
    set advantage to winner of game 1
    (small advantage for the reasons mention for game 2 + now forcing their opponent to win under a slight disadvantage)
Traditionally, Bo2 sets have been played out as if they are a Bo3 except without the 3rd game for the sets that would normally require it. I feel that this method is slightly unfair to the winner of the first game as they have played one game on equal terms and one game with a disadvantage. Usually in a case where a player loses Game 2 after winning Game 1 the players are closely matched and the result of Game 1 could of gone either way. The reward for winning the neutral game is the advantage they will have in Game 3 to take the set and place higher than their opponent. A Bo2 set played under the Bo3 format robs the neutral game winner of this reward.

The procedure I am trailing here attempts to make this situation equally fair to both players. As in each player will play a game with an advantage and a disadvantage.

Its for this reason I don't agree exactly with your Proposed System since effectively Game 1 advantage goes to the loser of RPS. Also if the RPS winner defeats his opponent ,under the slight disadvantage, in Game 1 then Game 2 is also the RPS loser advantage. In other words the RPS winner has now played 2 games with a slight disadvantage. For closely matched players this set could easily go 1-1, however with each player playing a game with an advantage and a disadvantage the disadvantageous Game 1 winner is more likely to take the set 2-0 and have the reward for beating their opponent on the opponents counter-pick.

This is not to say your proposed system is all bad. One of the things I kinda dont like about the way I am currently doing things is the lack of double blind picks Game 1 since I sort of agree with Splice. Things I may change with your system might be
Proposed system

1. Blind picks, told to someone else
  2. RPS, Winner chooses to either Pick a Stage or Ban Stages
  3. They then ban stages
  4. Other player picks stage
  5. Players then play their characters from blind pick
  6. Match is played
  7. Blind picks Again, told to someone else
  8. Player than Picked the Previous Stage now Ban Stages
  9. Other Player Picks a Stage
  10. Players then play their new characters from step 7
  11. Match is played
My alternative, which I may trial at future events, is to have both games played on neutral stages with striking procedure as if each game was Game 1 of a traditional Bo3. The downside to this is that players that generally dont make it through pools dont get the opportunity to play on counter-picks or even experience the counter-pick procedure.

How can I cover a matchup if the person always chooses after me? If they play falco and mario, And I play Lucas and MK No matter what Im going to be counter picked. Thats just not fair, when there are way better options available.
This can never happen since they only get one counter-pick opportunity, hence they will select their character after you only once as well. If they get counter-pick Game 1 then you get counter-pick Game 2 regardless if you won or lost Game 1.
So to use your example
Game 1. you ban stages, they choose stage, you choose Lucas, they go Falco
Game 2. they ban stages, you choose stage, if they stay Falco then you go MK, if they go Mario then you stay Lucas

Last edited:

EverAlert

Smash Master
NNID
EVAL89
3DS FC
2664-2214-3431
nothing is stopping you from banning stages to limit his character selection, guessing who he wants to pick based on the stage, or just electing to use your better character straight up. as i pointed out, realistically you will know who he might pick, so you can make educated guesses about this (unless either of you are new to tournaments, in which case the exact details of the striking procedure are pretty irrelevant to the match outcome anyway). you could also just be better than him at smash.

obviously the system isn't perfect, but no system is going to be, and the flaws only really become apparent when considering two players of exactly equal skill, which in practice is pretty much never going to be the case.

Gords

Smash Champion
How much is it to enter in Melee and PM singles? Will there be many fellow newbies? First smash tourney, so excited :grin:
$5 venue + $12 lunch + $5 melee + $5 PM = total $27
i am not sure how many first timers there will be but we do have some relatively new members in our scene. either way you will get to meet some people of all skill levels and have many friendlies throughout the event. It will be a good experience ether way

ayek0

Smash Rookie
Will pools and rounds start at 10 or will it be later in the day?

Star ☆

No Problem!
NNID
Autumnflow
Around 60 attendants in total! Thanks to all that played with me, I had fun! I might make a post soon with some shoutouts.

Last edited:

SummonerAU

Smash Lord
Results were like

P:M

1/2. Ted and Zxv (split)
3. Cal
4. Star

Melee

1/2. Ted and Zxv (split)
3. RJ
4. Birdies