• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag Alleviation Thread: EVERYTHING you can do to reduce lag!

Y.b.M.

Smash Master
I have a pretty beasty connection...even when my opponents ping is red....try to get it through a fiber optic line if you can...it's the best hehe

streetracr77

Smash Journeyman
thanks, this will be sure to help me
My friend and I play eachother online a lot and we live relatively close to eachother and have small lag

paulleh

Smash Apprentice
I don't know if its just me, but the first few matches with my opponent are always laggy. Then gradually it gets faster and faster and eventually it comes to almost the same speed as if you we're playing on the same console.
This happens to me no matter where they are, unless they're in another continent.

RoguefanAM

Smash Rookie
HELP!? I've tried almost everything I could think of to reduce lag and so far nothing's worked. I've even bought the adapter the OP suggested in the first page.

Heck, I bumped up my connection speed and nada. And get this, I used to have a slower connection that actually had less lag - with the SAME company. One day it just got slower, and I don't what I did to cause that. :/

Any ideas? [don't suggest port forwarding already tried that]

Royale

Smash Journeyman
I actually use a wireless router called Gamers Lounge from Linksys. The wifi adapter didnt do me much justice so i had to return it.

I highly suggest a really good router over the nintendo wifi adapter. First off you get everything firewalled since you use mac addresses to limit access. And the modem we use feeds into the router. Secondly the range and signal is much stronger.

I think your going to need to go into more detail Rougefan. Im not entirely sure what your problem is. You say you got lag, well go into detail as to what measures you've already taken.

Also list what routers you using, what DSL/Cable you use, are you using the correct channel 1/11, did you port forward correctly, did you power cycle your modem, did you update your nintendo software wifi on the wii console?

Omit

Smash Apprentice
I rarely lagg but i might just have gotten used too it. Still if Nintendo could fix the lagg that would be great even tho i doubt it cause they would probablt focus on the new games etc..

Aura_Fear

Smash Cadet
Thanks for all this, I'll try it out.

For a wireless connection, I assume it would help to move the Wii closer to the connection source?

Mr.T 07

Smash Journeyman
You've got a good point, but there's got to be some reason why Smash_Brother and I have less laggy matches against each other that matches between people in our own respective states. The common denominator was our ISP.
umm... maybe because people have like the suckiest connections ever! i used to have a bad connection but one day i just snapped and couldnt take the lag anymore so i broke my wireless router over my knee. then i went to bestbuy and got a ney one and there's no lag at all! it all depends on the range of your wireless router and the speed of your internet connection.

Er!ckLZ

Smash Apprentice
or.......... you switch from dial-up to HI-SPEED internet and get a better Router. THAT COSTS OVER 100$

don't need to go through all those steps
n00b

POKE40

Smash Lord
TV's can also affect lag

Plasma Screen TVs and LCDs can contribute to lag:
to avoid this you should get component cables: Nintendo sells this .
Get them at your local gamestop and see if you could get these.
These cables will reduce the lag. Not elimiate it.

CRT tv/monitors have little to no lag. (Of course under right Wifi conditions)

Just putting that out. It could help. IDK

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
I'm trying to enable to DMZ option for my wii, but it only allows me to turn it on or off for my PC only. Can anyone help?

Zenjamin

Smash Lord
Everything after the USB adapter was all greek to me.

Anyways, if you get a USB adapter, is the rest of the stuff unnecessary?

I live on campus, will my connection go through the campus firewall even if wired?

Is there hope for me yet?

sMexy-Blu

Smash Lord
Why does Wi.fi has to suck to much... I can't even play anyone online without getting lotsa lag...
Wi.fi is a joke... SHAME ON YOU NIN10DOH!!

AvaricePanda

Smash Lord
Meh.

I really need a way to fight good people. I want to be competitive; I've just starting playing Brawl again last week and have been maining Fox, practicing on computers. But my Wi-Fi disconnects ALL THE TIME, and on the occasional times I can connect to Wi-Fi, it's only Basic Brawl and people are hosting some Taunt party.

But, not to sound like an egomaniac, I'm too good for anyone I can play locally. I decimate the people in my neighborhood who play because they're all casual and I'm more serious (brawlissrsbusinssprz). I'm also thirteen, AKA under sixteen, AKA can't drive, AKA can't go to friend's houses out of this neighborhood who are good.

tl;dr: I need a better Wi-Fi connection. I'm getting a USB adapter...

But I remember reading in the Wii Instruction Manual booklet thing in the section that had the diagram for best Wi-Fi connection, it said you'd get good wired connection with Windows XP. And I have Vista. I'm not sure if it didn't say Vista because it isn't compatible, they just didn't include it, or Vista didn't exist when Wii's came out. Do I have to have Windows XP to use the USB adapter? (doubt it, just asking)

charmandurrr

Smash Rookie
For the USB Wired Connection thing... I'm guessing what that is, is the same thing as what it would be for a computer connecting Wired internet, but for the Wii, correct?

It's a forum

Smash Apprentice
How come every other game except Brawl works perfectly over Wi-fi.
I've had the game since launch and I've only connected on a "with anyone" match 6 or 7 times. Now it won't even let me in the "waiting-room" place and just kicks me off. I can get the stupid snapshots, replays and stages but I can't BRAWL.

MarioKart Wii is great, as is every other online function on my Wii. My friend has the same router as I do and he doesn't seem to have any problems, what's the deal??? Right now my laptop is going at a speed of 54 Mbps, is that too slow for Brawl?

Hyper-Marth

Smash Cadet
Ok so i bought the wired LAN adapter for a faster connection. It helps quite a bit but some matches still give me a tad bit of lag. I'm at college so i can't really mess with settings. Does changing the MTU value help at all? If so what should i be setting it to.

joey81-

Smash Rookie
can i get this adapter at any computer hardware store or do i have to get one that has to do strictly with a wii or nintendo

MeLL0W

Smash Apprentice
This is actually a question but can input lag be done anything about? Maybe i'm not looking hard enough but sometimes when playing some of my friends don't have much input lag but I tend to have some almost all the time which can really screw me over in very critical situations. Any suggestions to fix this?

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Practice online more, really. Input lag, if you at least have a steady connection (regardless of speed) can be predicted once the first few seconds of the brawl have commenced. After about 5-10 seconds you should be able to compensate for the input lag and brawl accordingly. Then the challenge becomes narrowing that margin down to within the first 2-4 seconds of a match.

Powda

Smash Apprentice
Overall this entire problem is just plain stupid. Not only does every game for every other system have zero lag, but every other game other than brawl on the WII have zero lag. Brawl just somehow gets screwed and for some reason Nintendo gives us no reasoning as to why and does nothing to fix it. They really should just patch the game so we can host our own server.

Toba

Smash Rookie
Can someone toss me a link on how to "DMZ" my wii and router? I'm not even quite sure what that means, as I am new to this forum. So far I've only played locally with friends, never really online cause it eithertimes out or is extremely laggy in play.

tmntrules2003

Smash Cadet
i have problems with controller lag like my tv doesnt lag the game doesnt lag but there is a noticeable lag between controller reaction like i push left and at least half second to a second lag between the flick and the movement on screen wired controller or not

mostri

Smash Cadet
i have wii and internet. actually my coneccion is 512.o kbps . can i play smash brothers whitout lagg?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
^ I know the above posts are old but this is just for future reference... That's something that you will experience every single time you play online. It's impossible to NOT play wifi without input lag. The screen may not lag but you cannot escape input lag.

Top Bottom