• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag Alleviation Thread: EVERYTHING you can do to reduce lag!

D.white

Smash Rookie
I guess it's just the type of connection. I play better when I verse someone from another country then when I verse someone in the same city.

Kain6th

Smash Ace
I have a question and if anyone has the answer I will love you til death: I have sbcglobal (at&t) internet service and a linksys WRT54G2 router. My internet seems to run fine, but only in between every hour and 30 minutes. What seems to happen i think is that at those times i think my ip is auto-renewing itself (or i could be off on that, not sure) and when I'm playing on wifi I always get disconnected.

So basically how can I prevent the disconnection? Is there a way to turn off the Auto-renew ip? If i can and did that is that a bad thing?
Does anyone know what I'm talking about, lol?

hcfwesker

Smash Cadet
One that needs to be added, is that having a satellite broadband connection, you have no hope.

I had satellite for an entire year, and there's no way around LAGG. cause a satellite can only send, THEN recieve a signal, meaning it can't handle all the info in brawl.

You guys wanna see the worst LAGG connection ever. Here's an actual video, of one of my replays, with LAGG, and this was actually one of my better days,.

http://www.viddler.com/explore/FoxyAreku/videos/2/

notice how long the actual video is. It took almost 12 minutes to play a 2 moinute macth against me wehn i had a satellite connection.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Yes, Yes it is.
That was an online tourni match too Lmao
It wasn't like he could actually quiet it either.
In the end the other guy gave him the win

BTW a Wi-Fi Connection USB adapter works, the only prob is that you have to have your comp on to play online

Kamikaze*

Smash Ace
Yes, Yes it is.
That was an online tourni match too Lmao
It wasn't like he could actually quiet it either.
In the end the other guy gave him the win

BTW a Wi-Fi Connection USB adapter works, the only prob is that you have to have your comp on to play online
Heh, I always leave my comp on with my router anyways, so that won't be much of a problem.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Wasn't this thread a sticky at one point? I think it still should be. We may have to continue to refer to it, so it's better to have it in one place.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
^^^Zen discovery^^^

When playing matches from super long distance wait a little bit and there will be less lag. Don't start right away it needs time to load.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Let me know the results. I've tested it with 9 different people. 8 of them there was less lag when we waited 1-3 minutes.

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Waited on what screen though? Do you mean like wait in-game after you start the match or in the WiFi lobby?

Nysyarc

Last King of Hollywood
NNID
Nysyarc
3DS FC
1075-0983-2504
Just tried it out with my friend who lives all the way on the other side of the country. I played one match with him starting right away, then we reset and tried again after waiting a few minutes. The difference was noticeable, but barely. I don't think I would have noticed if I wasn't looking for a difference, y'know?

Still, it's good to know, and it did make it better, even if not by much.

rekrapadept

Smash Rookie
Will DMZing my wii lessen my lag if i already have a LAN adapter?

EDIT: Since no one answered me, i experimented. The result: my first set of lag-free online games.

[This edit probably doesn't matter because nobody reads my posts anyway.] :(

Tmathh

Smash Rookie
really Nintendo just needs to fix the **** server and make it lag free like mario kart

Tmathh

Smash Rookie
^^^Zen discovery^^^

When playing matches from super long distance wait a little bit and there will be less lag. Don't start right away it needs time to load.

That actually worked pretty good....i played with my friend who lives in the same city usually its a small lag but when we waited for like a min or 2 it was pretty much gone definitely a noticeable difference

Tmathh

Smash Rookie
The "server" you refer to is the game pack itself, there are no dedicated servers for Brawl Online which is -why- it can be so laggy.

oooooohhhhhh...well they need to get one then i dont get wtf is so hard about that..laazy *** Nintendo people

Zaffy

Smash Apprentice
I play against people from America with pretty much zero noticable lag, so i'm fine :)

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I play against people from America with pretty much zero noticable lag, so i'm fine :)
that's excellent, w00t for virtually no-lag intercontinental brawl! I brawled someone from s. america once and it was actually surprising how little lag there was compared to brawling locals even. weird *** system this the NWC.

Sorto

Smash Journeyman
Does the USB Adaptor for a Wired Connection get rid of the button input lag? I play MK and ICs and that button input lag kills my ICs. I can't chain for sh*t online. And offlne I can chain most characters with ease, because the chaingrab timings have pretty much cemented themselves into my head (they have a beat and wii lag kills it).

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Does the USB Adaptor for a Wired Connection get rid of the button input lag? I play MK and ICs and that button input lag kills my ICs. I can't chain for sh*t online. And offlne I can chain most characters with ease, because the chaingrab timings have pretty much cemented themselves into my head (they have a beat and wii lag kills it).
Word. Mastering the Beat of the Brawl is indeed the very secret to a successful match, and why I use Marth so much... incidentally, I can play row row row your boat with his dancing blade, lol. I actually originally used a USB adapter, but found that a wireless connection direct from Wii to your Wireless Router which is hard lined (Ethernet connected) to your Cable Modem or DSL modem is the best way to go. Make sure your configuration is optimized by selecting manual configuration in the Wii Internet settings if you still can't get a clean connection. This reduces any forms of lag on -your- end to the absolute minimum. However if you are gonna play on WiFi just be prepared to experience unexpected results at random times because there's no telling what can happen. Maybe one of your opponent's connection is suddenly slower because their bandwidth limitation has been stressed due to the fact that while the Wii is using it someone else in the house is downloading pr0n lol you get the idea, it's incredibly unpredictable, which makes advanced strategies a *****. This would be why so many people complain about WiFi with this game cause how good an experience can you have if you can't trust the game to be controllable? I'll grant that. Then again... there IS stumbling now in this game too. It's almost as if the game was literrally rendered as uncompetitive as possible, so that all the 5 yo's that wanna play don't cry cause the cute ice people with the hammers keeps making them die.

MXblaze

Smash Apprentice
really Nintendo just needs to fix the **** server and make it lag free like mario kart
They will never do that. They know that a good 98% of the people that own brawl care about nothing but SSE.

GreenFox

Smash Ace
I hope the USB lan adapter works because everybody I play is a Yellow connection... and I know this is the Wii but my connection on the 360 for Soulcalibur IV is pretty good with wired so we'll see.. I'm hoping I can get some greens in and they will be playable.

JonasN

Smash Rookie
Do I need to do the DMZ thing if my Wii is Wired?
I have the same question. I´ve been around this the whole day. Porting and stuffs, and all the time getting the error code 50300, wrong Internet Settings, with me screaming out loud everytime..

I do have a wired connection with a Wii LAN Adapter, and I´ve been playing online with it, but it wasn´t good enough, it was just like my wireless. But with my wireless I didnt have to unplug my router 4 times a day.

Why do I have to auto take IP and DNS? The manual doesnt seem to work... it takes barely one millisecond of the connection test before I see the bad news.

I´ve done the following stuffs:

Been written down the porters in my router:

28910-28910
29900-29900
29901-29901
29920-29920
80-80
443-443

I didnt know what application name I should use so I named everything Brawl, since thats all there is.

The the right of these port numbers above I entered my IP address, which is 192.168.1.1.
By following other instructions from other sites I did it 192.168.1.10
and that adress is pretty much what I put on all of the porters, as I should.

And so I entered it in the connection settings as well.
The following stuffs:

IP address: 192.168.1.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 213.66.14.1

Primary and seconday DNS directly frm the computer, even been trying a DNS from a site.

Btw, my wiiconnect24 is on, but I cant see nothing but my computer on the DHCP list.
Please help me and let me know if I´m doing everything in vain. I dont even know if I´m on the right track, I´ve been doing this for about 2-3 days now... Just been searching and searching, its been pissing me off. Please help =)

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Truly hate to necropost, but is it possible I could get some help optimizing my connection on here?

For background information:

I bought a LAN adapter for my Wii that hooks up to my ubee router. Under DHCP, my adapter's MAC Address and IP show up, but not my Wii's. To be honest, I don't know how to find my Wii's IP address! I have WiiConnect24 installed, and I tried putting my adapter's address in for DMZ...but still my connection is awful. I was wondering if someone could help me out step-by-step in setting everything up, I'm willing to start from scratch, and if someone could brawl with me (using Friend Codes obviously) to test my connection.

I understand this may be posted in the wrong area, but this had more to do with lag more than anything, so I didn't think of putting it into the Online Dicussion Q & A. I didn't want to start a thread about it either since that seemed wrong, but I may if I don't get a response on here. Again, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place, and thank you!

yoshq

Smash Master
Idk how it will be for you, but when I had WiiConnect on and went to my router active connections or whatever, the Wii was there. I DMZed that address. Online works pretty well for me but then again I have a fast internet plan.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Idk how it will be for you, but when I had WiiConnect on and went to my router active connections or whatever, the Wii was there. I DMZed that address. Online works pretty well for me but then again I have a fast internet plan.

Did it just say Wii? Or the MAC address of it?? I have TimeWarner where I'm at now, but live in an apartment complex.

Top Bottom