• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kuja's (In)Complete Guide to Making Sonic an annoying ___!

Dark Sonic

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LD8JRJUJCE&feature=related

Can someone explain what happened at 2:05 here? It look like Sonic should've been hit by that F-smash. Is there some special property of Sonic's nair that prevented that, or is it just Marth's f-smash being deceiving? The sword clearly went through Sonic's body, and I'm inclined to believe that Sonic's nair may have a few invincibility frames during the attack (similar to how some moves have super armor during sometime in the move)

shrinkray21

Smash Ace
It looks like to me that he flat out missed, with the changes in brawl, Marth does not have the diagonal distance on his fsmash , so we sonic does his nair (curles up into a ball) I think he got outside of the range of the Marth by a hair...that's my personal view after watching it a few times...feel free to disagree.

Spife

Smash Master
Very good guide, can't wait to see more.
Sonic's priority is very low (I played him today and, just wow).

LuCKy

Smash Master
@ sonic wave= i think he just missed me.sonics nair is pretty whack in my opinion and i highly...and i mean highly doubt there is any super armor or any kind invincibility frames on his nair.his nair does move back and forth though so maybe it just missed? or i got lucky and it glitched through me lol

**** YES I GOT STICKIED!

Thank YOOOOUUUUUUUU mods!
well deserved ^______^

im way to lazy to site down and write i guide or impression lol

tw1n

Smash Champion
Thank god Brawl is out now and I dont have to drive 30 minutes to play as Sonic lol. When I get my WiFi up I expect to be playing alot of great sonics online

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
@dark sonic. i think that warrant further study. i mean, every says how awful the move is. and maybe they gave it a few frames of super armor just because they anticipated the crappinest embodied in that move.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Ive actually found that sonic's forward air can be used as a great intercepting attack. I've earned many KO's.
1) it lasts long, so it's harder to dodge
2) you only have to hit with the last hit of it.
3)It'll get you a KO.

try it! knock the poor mario off the stage and follow with a fair.

Ichida

Smash Ace
*Evil grin* Oh yes, I've had a lot of fun sniping enemies out of the air with Homing Attack, and Spring Jump seems to save me where other characters wouldn't have. A definite main possibility. :D

Dragonbreath

Smash Ace
That one video where you cut the lagg right off the Dair made mah day

thank you
Funny you should bring that up, I remember seeing a vid once (Sorry, no sauce) where Sonic used Dair without any lag. And with no spring involved. What had happened was that the other guy had knocked him way upwards, almost to a K.O. Sonic was falling, then he used the Dair. It was over the height normally achieved with the Spring, and when Sonic landed, he immediately put up his shield.

So, theory. Sonic's Dair cancels lag when it is used from a certain height, one that we commonly associate with his Up B.

Hypothesis: If Sonic is sent flying vertically by the enemy, he will be able to use a lagless Dair during his descent at a height equal or greater than that of the spring jump.

Conclusion:...Hoping that someone else will experiment and find out. My copy is still in the mail. :(

EDIT: Hey, Kuja? You remember that little tidbit about reducing lag with the homing attack? You think you could put that in bold or something? I keep seeing people on youtube using it wrong.

DarkKnight077

Smash Lord
Yea well so far Sonic kind of stinks with people who have range. I.E. Marth and Ike. Those two punish Sonic to no ends. It's really hard to get away Ike's range. Even though he's **** slow he's hard to hit. All I can say is don't rely the foward-B on Ike because he will just use counter or use the quick A,A,A combo to hit Sonic.

Gah Ike is such a pain.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
Awsome guide. Once I stopped trying to outpower the opponent, and started to try and outmanuver, I could almost four stock a lvl 7 CPU Mario (lvl 8's and 9's are too predictable.). (The CPU's AI has been increased to a noticable degree. They don't always DI twards you, and they're not as predictable.)

As opposed to failing miserably and having the CPU beat me.

BOTTOM LINE: It's all in the player's mindset really.

Uncle Fitzy

Smash Journeyman
I have heard a lot of complaining about the lag after Sonic Dairs. I figured out just a few hours ago that you can actually shield cancel the lag if you hit shield the moment you land. If you do it right you are able to attack immediately after as if you had landed from a higher Dair which doesn't lag.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Guys, I think the fair can reflect projectiles. Suddenly, Sonic may have a response to projectile spammers.

I was playing lmnz' Lucario, and he threw a fully charged aura sphere, which I hit with the fair. It came back, and hit him, hard. Someone with a friend investigate this ASAP, and see if it was an online fluke, Lucario only, or works period. I hope it does. Sonic'll have just gained sooooooooo much in his game.

EDIT: I've been testing it, I can't get it to work again. Guys, if you have ANY spare time try to figure this out. It might be instrumental to Sonic being placed higher on the tier list.

LuCKy

Smash Master
lol InterimOfZeal is too good......i do'nt know why you would take on a fully charged aura spear 0.o but good job if this works lol

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
It was an accident, lmfao. I was trying to fair him to death, and he predicted my greed, and threw it at my face, only to have it reflected. I can't figure this **** out, and I really really really want to. Can you imagine Lucas' face if you threw the PK fire back at the campy *******? Or Olimar? Jeeze.

LuCKy

Smash Master
lol it would be too good for sure

i cant really try it out for like 4 more hours lol but i'll be sure to mess around with it if you dont figure something out by then

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
oh my god that would be awesome my friend just loves to spam lucario's aura sphere and ****ing hate it! maybe its in certain spin that he reflects it OR the distance you are. like if you're point blank in his face like you said you were it would reflect back or something...or the size of the aura sphere matters too?? i'll try and test it when i get the chance but im busy studying for SAT's and keeping up with school maybe in the weekend but good luck cuz that would be awesome.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Hm, well, I think I can safely say that any hopes fair-reflecting becoming a part of Sonic's game are going to be unfulfilled. I tried many reflecting an aura sphere from all kinds of different angles using all kinds of timing and I couldn't do anything except hit the aura sphere on the edge and kill some of the smaller spheres.

In short, there must have been some strange winds blowing your way Zeal because that was a one in a million shot.

And Uncle Fitzy, I'm pretty sure you can't shield cancel a dair. I've tried timing it a lot in training mode at a couple different speeds and it was no go. What you might be thinking about is the IASA lag frames that get passed by during the time you hit the shield button. Because it is possible to move/roll/smash when it seems like you should still be in lag animation. At normal speed, you can basically time a smash or something to the moment Sonic's hand appears to hit the ground.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
I know that it's been impossible to duplicate thus far. That's why I'm asking the full help of the Sonic community. There HAS to be a way to do it again, just like wavedashing was replicable, and doubleshining, and zap jumping, and SWDing, and everything else.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Well, I guess. But if it's something as tricky and situational as SWDing which this certainly seems that the uses for it would be limited. NOT that I'm trying to get people to stop looking for the answer, but I don't think people should be getting their hopes up, as a few already are.

BTW, for reference (I'll keep trying this periodically), at what angle and spacing did you hit the aura blast and what was the timing of the fair relative to the time it hit you? Also, just so we're clear, you hit it from the front, not the back correct?

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
SWDing really isn't as hard as people seem to think it is. Srsly, just comes down to practicing. XD

Hit it from the front, straight-on view, almost right after he fired it.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
If you try to SWD as often as someone can shoot a projectile at you I guarantee you that no matter how much you practiced there will be screw ups. Also, consider that this is a reactionary technique. SWD can be done at leisure while this may involve even more precise timing and control.

And I think my problem may have been my spacing. I was always at a considerable distance from the initial firing point, but then again we're talking a range where dodging or simply moving out of the way would be a piece of cake. I need to find someone that can work with me on this.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
Great guide, I've been trying to decide on a main between Pt, Link, Toon Link and Sonic. As much as I love PT I'm leaning towards Sonic and this guide was very heplful.

I'm glad to see that since playing him I've been doing a lot of stuff right. Whereas before I used to spam down b and dair I've started using tactics listed here. I still need to work on recovery as I always retreat to the other side of a stage instead of going after them for fear of not being able to recover. Once, I even overshot the entire stage. >_>

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
How can you over shoot the level while recovering? Or am I misunderstanding you're sentence...

Deathwish238

Smash Apprentice
i play a pretty good pit once in a while and you can go under his annoying arrows and hit him with sonic's down B not that special but just wanted to let you guys know if your having trouble with a pit thats spamming arrows :D

deletedmember

Smash Cadet
I think we're all having trouble again Pits. Go**** them.

By the way this is an excellent guide. I've heard that Sonic is not that great but when I unlocked him the other day I could not help but give him a good try. Turns out I actually like him a lot. His air combos are so nice. No kill moves, as everyone knows (levels like Shadow Moses are pretty difficult since you can't take them off the edge) but other techniques that more than make up for it.

Top Bottom